Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

blackmanjew posted:

In Jobe, down the stairs and to the left there is a door you can go through that will take you to the market, and you can portal from there to Jobe platform and then Rome. I haven't done it in so long thats about as specific as I can get.

Jesus, reading the posts made by AO devs on their forums makes me wonder if it isn't just a team of 13 year olds over there. Who the gently caress says "OH HAI". People that should get punched in the face, that's who.

The Anarchy Online devs are actually just a bunch of leets with slightly above average intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:downsgun:

So those incredibly rare ql150 support ears? I found one on GMS today for 100k.

Do people just not price check this poo poo or what? The last one I saw was 12m.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
100k?

Gods must be crazy.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Do people just not price check this poo poo or what? The last one I saw was 12m.

People always throw random poo poo on GMS for super cheap, it's kind of worth it to check it frequently because you never know when you'll luck out.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Reinstalling this game for the first time in over 3 years, I don't remember how to play :(

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

People always throw random poo poo on GMS for super cheap, it's kind of worth it to check it frequently because you never know when you'll luck out.

Then again, accidents happen and sometimes you miss a 0 from typing in the price.. Sucks when it's alien armour :cry:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is it worth upgrading to QL200 Miy's Tank once I can fit it on, or is there something better I can be wearing at around level 130 or so?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

blackmanjew posted:

Jesus, reading the posts made by AO devs on their forums makes me wonder if it isn't just a team of 13 year olds over there. Who the gently caress says "OH HAI".

Or, you know, people in touch with their community's lingo and who don't feel the need to overcompensate on online forums. :smug:

OH HAI2U

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Miy's is a good placeholder, and decent enough on a leveling toon. If you're talking about your keeper, I'd be more concerned with the 2he, since you won't hold aggro much.

tentacles fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 14, 2010

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Hi, just re-subbed this game. One question, its been a long time but have they opened up the Shadowlands zones yet or do you still have to do the stupid quests to gain access the latter ones? I remember some of those quests being ridiculous and tedious.

Also any one have links to some sort of site which spells out where to go and what to farm for the tier armor in SL?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Peechka posted:

Hi, just re-subbed this game. One question, its been a long time but have they opened up the Shadowlands zones yet or do you still have to do the stupid quests to gain access the latter ones? I remember some of those quests being ridiculous and tedious.

Also any one have links to some sort of site which spells out where to go and what to farm for the tier armor in SL?

Yeah, they got rid of the terrible entry quests long time ago. You still need to be appropriate level to pass them but that's not really a problem. Levels were something like 125 for Adonis, 160 for Pen and can't remember what for Scheol. You still need inferno boots and pande ring though, but those are pretty easy to get / buy.

Auno has nano info among other stuff.
AO-Universe has tier stuff info among anything else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

-Troika- posted:

I still have Nelly's little black dress somewhere because at the time it was worth a shitload of creds for people making the crat suit. Not everything continues to gain in value over time.

I could probably sell old Christmas stuff for more.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
Man, I remember trying to play this when it first came out on my lovely-rear end computer. I could log in, but the lag was so bad I would tap forward, the computer would lock for about 5 minutes, and then I would be on the other side of the city. I couldn't hunt, I couldn't chat...

I'm tempted to join up but... how feasible is it to freeversion a decent sniper?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to Pencil for helping me get an fbr :woop:

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Terashell posted:

I'm tempted to join up but... how feasible is it to freeversion a decent sniper?

My first character that got anywhere was a froob agent. As a main, they're difficult to play but rewarding in later levels. I wouldn't really recommend them for a newcomer.

You'll need a *lot* of credits or time to get all the nanos to make the most out of an agent, and you'll need to know how the other classes work to false prof them well. I also remember skill development making me cry, since a lot of our skills cost a lot to raise.

The benefit of having a froob agent is that you'll be able to cast the majority of useful buffs and experience most of the free content/gear with a single character.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welp my free month is up :shobon:

I really enjoyed playing AO again. It's nice to see the population starting to slowly increase, even if most goons are now spread out across the universe.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

So is it really possible to get a decent taste of the game by playing it free and then switching to paid if I like it? I'm in a situation where I have an abundance of free time but don't want to bother investing in any of the newer MMOs, and this looks interesting.

Also, the only class I had fun with in WOW was rogue. Anything that capitalizes on the sneakiness here? :ninja:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nibbles the Shark posted:

So is it really possible to get a decent taste of the game by playing it free and then switching to paid if I like it? I'm in a situation where I have an abundance of free time but don't want to bother investing in any of the newer MMOs, and this looks interesting.

Also, the only class I had fun with in WOW was rogue. Anything that capitalizes on the sneakiness here? :ninja:

Sure. In WoW terms, free AO accounts are limited to level 70, don't get talent points, and can't go to Northrend.

Agents are the sneaky class, snipe instead of ambush, and are considered hard for a new player to get the hang of. They can also mimic the other classes to gain access to their low-to-mid level abilities (think pre-1.6 druids with a non-combat shapeshift on a cooldown). You might like fixers, a speed and evasion-based class.

edit: Oh, and there's two classes that free accounts don't get access to. Shades are the melee stealth class.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 23, 2010

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Agents are kinda hard to play until you know what you're doing, and also pretty expensive, since they can use other classes' nanos.

Fixers are relatively easy to solo with and I would recommend one to a newbie, if you don't want to try to find too many teams. They run fast (which is nice when you can't get a yalm), have self HoTs, and do a decent amount of damage. On top of that they can open locked chests in missions, which occasionally can supplement your income quite nicely. Also, if you have SL, getting a decent weapon is very, very easy.

Engineers are also pretty easy to play once you get the hang of pet controlling, since they can be buffed to use much more powerful robots than one might expect for their level.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I'd like to recommend to any froobs that Shadowlands is really worth it as long as you don't spend the entire time sucking on heckler-teet. The $5/month is worth a ton in terms of content access, gear and overall enjoyment. Grinding on those floating things in the sewers at the mine for 15 or however many levels is not fun, and your only other real choice for leveling the gap after temple of three winds is missions.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I loved the Shadowlands when I upgraded, though I was a die-hard froob before. The scenery's beautiful, there's a lot to do, and you get nice gear. If you have time to kill, following the story/questlines is fun. I remember being amazed at the amount of effort that went into the expansion.

Also you can kill this guy over and over again for kicks:

I'd actually recommend playing a free account till at least title level 6 before defroobing, though. It lets you see if you like the game, and you learn the ropes so you don't wipe your heckler/raid team :iamafag:

Matrim posted:

Grinding on those floating things in the sewers at the mine for 15 or however many levels is not fun, and your only other real choice for leveling the gap after temple of three winds is missions.

Floaters and bloaters are okay for leveling but better for creds. They also drop discs frequently, and are in the right range for GA (and GAII? if I remember right). They stop giving decent xp after level 80ish.

My usual route for froob characters is Noob Isle -> Subway -> Temple of Train Wrecks/Steps of Madness -> Foreman's -> Borgs -> Inner Sanctum -> High-level RK missions. Now I think back on it, Foreman's was lacking a little something compared to the other instances. I skip Crypt of Home entirely because nobody goes there for anything but loot. Borging is fun, but not time-efficient after level 105 or so.

God drat, now I want to roll another toon. :sigh: I need to lose my job faster. If anybody's in the game, I'm sometimes in Roflbot on my froob agent.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I let my son have a early birthday present and start a froob account. I'm on a full account, but we're both MP's at ~10 now if anyone wants to have a go at leveling.

This is my first pet profession outside of the crat I gave up on (well, not entirely, but I'll try him again some day). Having three pets is a clusterfuck, but fun!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm starting a froom account fixer. is there cookie cutter build guides and stuff I can follow for my first time through?

Deacon Blues
Aug 8, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
Max out SMG, Burst, and evades.
Max out stats
Increase nano skills/treatment/first aid as needed
Increase pick locks, map use, and other skills as little as possible.
Use buffing items/implants when you can to save on IPs.
If possible, don't spend all your IPs each level in order to be able to keep the above skills at max.

Repeat until title level 6

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Make an opifex fixer. Opifex is best since they have cheaper evades, which are the Fixer thing.

Also, you forgot to mention maxing out runspeed, Deacon.

Any half decent fixer can easily outrun a yalm.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
Then slap a D-shark on and begin to amass tons of tells asking for FG/ES or "your rifle buffs plx"

I should have a Rhata'a'a'aaaaa and a Xan Envy on by next week, but being a Dshark Fix has been hilarious :)

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Are the Fixer item summoning nanos still useless?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Now and forever, amen.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone fill me in on the SL story? Is it posted somewhere?

Also, is the Beast a corrupted Ergo terminal or something?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

-Troika- posted:

This is the best plot summary I could find.

Some interview posted:

With Shadowlands we reveal that Rubi-Ka was the cradle of life for mankind, a lush serene paradise where man lived in harmony with the Source. But, as always, man got greedy and wanted more, wanted to control the source itself, become immortal. On ancient Rubi-Ka two factions formed; the Redeemed wanted harmony, only reap as much as nature could endure, the other faction, the Unredeemed, wanted it all.

As with all stories of greed it went awry; the leaders of the Redeemed were forced to flee, the winning side, the Unredeemed, stayed, extracting more and more of the source, developing sinister machines and technology. One day the world could take no more. Rubi-Ka imploded, the paradise was cast into another dimension, and only the strongest leaders of the Unredeemed managed to flee. Rubi-Ka became barren and lifeless, just a shell of it’s former self.

Millions of years later in the floating city of Jobe brilliant human minds managed to drill at dimensional hole, re-discovering the paradise lost. A world twisted, dying, and with the remnants of the two ancient civilization all around. As the players rally forth into the Shadowlands they side with the ancient civilizations, and the fight for the future of mankind is on.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

"An error occurred while trying to copy a file: the source file is corrupted." :gonk:

God drat it, it took two loving days jesus. It's gonna be a while yet.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Make an opifex fixer. Opifex is best since they have cheaper evades, which are the Fixer thing.

Also, you forgot to mention maxing out runspeed, Deacon.

Any half decent fixer can easily outrun a yalm.

Correct me if i'm wrong (i'm a 220 opifex fixer) but aren't evades costs specific to the profession and not the race? Opifex has higher agility and sense which is more important to evades, which means that Opifex has the highest evades.

Edit: I guess you were trying to say exactly that but I didn't read it right. My reading comprehension is lacking today.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 24, 2010

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Tyshalob posted:

I have a couple of the bottom rung ammo restocks, just as a novelty. Never spent a single point on Matter Creation.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

EDGECRUSHER posted:

This is my first pet profession outside of the crat I gave up on (well, not entirely, but I'll try him again some day). Having three pets is a clusterfuck, but fun!

I love MPs a lot. My main is an MP and I've played them more than any other class in the game. So please don't take this the wrong way: don't play an MP.

Well, okay, I'll qualify that a bit better: play an MP if you really like the feel and "look" of an MP and are the sort of person willing to sacrifice being effective in the game for coolness. Right now the 'crats are gods among the pet classes, and there's no indication it's going to change in the near future.

-Troika- posted:

Tyshalob's synopsis is as good as you'll get without excessive effort and pain. There's a lot of extra stuff and symbolism that seems to be going on with Shadowlands, but it's murky due to an incredibly piss-poor translation effort. Shadowlands is neat, but a lot of the text reads like it was written by someone in elementary school.

If you want more information about Rubi-ka and the plot leading up to SL's release, Prophet Without Honor isn't too painful to read. Beyond these two sources, you'll be dealing with fan speculation based on obtuse in-game text.

Nosthula posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong (i'm a 220 opifex fixer) but aren't evades costs specific to the profession and not the race? Opifex has higher agility and sense which is more important to evades, which means that Opifex has the highest evades.

You're correct.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Tyshalob posted:

They are completely worthless. Do yourself a favor and unless you are making a sector 10 twink (Something that takes loads of credits) never spend a single point in Matter Creation.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
This is still one of my favorite mmos to this date. The depth and scope of this game is unrivaled. There is just so much poo poo to do I fell overwhelmed by all the content.Last time I played was in the SL era and I have not even touched or seen any of the alien poo poo yet. I hope they implement the new graphics engine and re-release this game somehow to get more people to play it. I play on RK1 and the game is definitely still showing life but could use a influx of new players. Coming back it was kind of difficult to play based on the old interface by todays standards. But within a week it was like I never left and having tons of fun running with my brother and 2 other friends.

I wish more people would give this game a chance. Its definitely old and clunky but man, so much content, so much to do. So many ways to update and build your character. And such unique classes.

While newer games like WoW are good in their own way, it just shows how lacking in content and character customization they are compared to this game. Everything cookie cutter, item level restrictions and such.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nosthula posted:

They are completely worthless. Do yourself a favor and unless you are making a sector 10 twink (Something that takes loads of credits) never spend a single point in Matter Creation.

Froobs can make use of MC too - just don't spend any until after you have your Grid Armor nano.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nosthula posted:

The first level ammo summoning nano is useful just in case you're ever in a team with some idiot who forgets to bring any ammo. More useful is just carrying around a backpack with a few boxes of bullets and energy ammo, but it's handy once in a blue moon. It also takes like 25 MC to use so you don't need to put any points into it.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Well, finally got it working. Against my better judgement, I made Joejack the agent on RK1. Still working out newbie quests and getting the hang of the game. I think I'll play for free for a while and maybe get SL if I think it's worthwhile.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nibbles the Shark posted:

Well, finally got it working. Against my better judgement, I made Joejack the agent on RK1. Still working out newbie quests and getting the hang of the game. I think I'll play for free for a while and maybe get SL if I think it's worthwhile.

Good plan. How well you can excell as a froob depends on your class. Agents, as far as I know, are one of the classes that does well in those levels, though are considered newbie unfriendly for other reasons. Their main power is the ability to cast many of the buffs of other classes, which means you're expected to have a firm grasp of not just your own buffs, but what every other class in the game can offer you too.

I hear about people picking up Shadowlands without any other expansion, but my opinion is mixed. It's certainly more value-added for the cost than a full account, but I see it more as a "in for a penny" kind of deal. Once you decide you want to compete at the top levels, it's a bit masochistic to not go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
The deal is $9.99 for all expansions and addons before July 1st. I think this is an excellent deal for a whole ton of content. Of course you will have to pay the $15 a month after upgrading.

I think the biggest hurdle playing AO is the interface. I wish they would finally upgrade the interface, which is really lacking IMO. If they could WoWify anything this would be it.

• Locked thread