Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I don't know but I've seen giant posters that look like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im currently in the process of learning German, fairly early on but I generally hit a snag when it comes to ordering words..

Im mean't to say
Ich möchte Wein kaufen - I want to wine buy

but I say it in a more english structure

Ich möchte kaufen Wein - I want to buy wine

Does phrase number 2 still make sense in german?

It's not utterly inadmissible (at least if you include an article or something) but basically the only time you see the sentence structure reordered like that is in clumsy poetry ("Ich möchte kaufen einen Wein / denn dann kann ich betrunken sein."). In prose or actual daily speech, huge no.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Ziir posted:

I don't know but I've seen giant posters that look like this
Oh, that's just what passes for summer in the alps.
You'll probably want to look for a camping place directly in the alps and go in late spring, maybe near a glacier.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im currently in the process of learning German, fairly early on but I generally hit a snag when it comes to ordering words..

Im mean't to say

EDIT: Also for saying "Mit inhen". I tend to say it at the end of the sentence ("I would like to eat with you "where german would be structured like "I would like you with you eat"). Again, would that make sense at all?

If you remember this rule, you will be fine: All helping verbs (möchten, wollen, müssen, sollen) push every other verb in the sentence to the end.

Ich möchte Wein kaufen
Ich soll Wein kaufen
Ich muss Wein kaufen
Ich will Wein kaufen

aber...

Ich kaufe Wein (since there's no helping verb, the verb goes in second place)

You can't use the English sentence structure in German.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im mean't to say

EDIT: Also for saying "Mit inhen". I tend to say it at the end of the sentence ("I would like to eat with you "where german would be structured like "I would like you with you eat"). Again, would that make sense at all?

Let's say people would probably understand what you're trying to say but the way the others described it is the correct one.

If you have more querstions there is always the German-language forums [German speaking/learning goons post here] thread.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I keep reading "ich möchte Wein saufen" :allears:

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ich saufe gern Wein! :D

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

elbkaida posted:

Wow, camping and hiking in the Alps in winter sounds pretty crazy to me. Are there even any camping sites or Hütten that are open? I thought in winter everything there goes into total skiing mode.

We can read about unexperienced tourists doing that poo poo here almost every year. Most articles are about their death. Or it's about getting them out of whatever hole the fell in with a helicopter... So yeah, I guess Berlin is the better choice.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Not to turn this towards politics or anything, but what's the general feel in Germany about the current wikileaks broo-hah-hah? Is it even really a thing at this point, or was much of anything at all?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I don't know about other papers but the tageszeitung is lauding them as the beacon of (investigative) journalism, saying wikileaks is doing what journalists actually should be doing - as opposed to regurgitating press releases and creating news where there is none.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Zwille posted:

I don't know about other papers but the tageszeitung is lauding them as the beacon of (investigative) journalism, saying wikileaks is doing what journalists actually should be doing - as opposed to regurgitating press releases and creating news where there is none.

Ha, that's an interesting claim. The way I see it, WikiLeaks has almost no journalistic integrity. If they get a leak, they seem to just publish it with no thought of what consequences it could bring.

The mainstream media is super lame but at least they have some journalistic standards.

Do you have a link to the taz article where they talk about it?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Here it is:

quote:

Die Zeiten sind vorbei, in denen nur einige wenige eingeweihte, elitäre Kreise darüber befinden konnten, welche Informationen wann gespielt werden. Also: Weiter so, Wikileaks!
Diplomatie ist nicht unser Job Nov 29, 2010

This one's pretty good too: Die herausgeforderten LeserInnen Dec 1, 2010

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Liface posted:

Ha, that's an interesting claim. The way I see it, WikiLeaks has almost no journalistic integrity. If they get a leak, they seem to just publish it with no thought of what consequences it could bring.
Well, if I'm not mistaken they did leave it to the newspapers to sort out what to publish and what information to hold back.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Default Settings posted:

Well, if I'm not mistaken they did leave it to the newspapers to sort out what to publish and what information to hold back.

At first, yeah. But then they released (well, are in the process of releasing) all the leaked cables, uncensored, on their site. For those curious: cablegate.wikileaks.org

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

I wasn't aware of that. While interesting without a doubt, there really is a difference between uncovering governmental power abuse and chit-chat and simply uncovering everything confidential.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
From what I have gathered from people, cablegate has revealed very little new stuff, and the general consensus is that there is a server in the German foreign ministry that has very similar documents. Certainly nothing that should damage German-American relations beyond repair, I mean the ambassadors are supposed to inform their government of what is going on in the country they are in, that is part of their purpose.

As far as journalism goes, I don't think it was nearly as big as the war logs, and even those are quite trivial most of the time ("Went somewhere. Got shot at. Shot back. No casualties on either side, mission proceeded as planned."). There is a distinctive lack of deeply immoral action on the part of the Americans being revealed in cablegate, but that might be because no one holds them to a moral standard anymore...

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

ArchangeI posted:

From what I have gathered from people, cablegate has revealed very little new stuff, and the general consensus is that there is a server in the German foreign ministry that has very similar documents. Certainly nothing that should damage German-American relations beyond repair, I mean the ambassadors are supposed to inform their government of what is going on in the country they are in, that is part of their purpose.

What is written in those cables is basically what everyone in Germany already knows/thinks.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hungry Gerbil posted:

What is written in those cables is basically what everyone in Germany already knows/thinks.
It's almost like they read the German press and wrote that down...

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

frankenfreak posted:

It's almost like they read the German press and wrote that down...

This probably actually true. But shouldn't they do a bit more than reading the newspaper regularly?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Well it certainly is interesting what the embassy in South Korea has to say about things, but you are right, most of the things they say about Germany isn't news. Including the assessment of Westerwelle. Especially the assessment of Westerwelle.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
gently caress that guy. And gently caress his party.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
His party is already hosed.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

Well it certainly is interesting what the embassy in South Korea has to say about things, but you are right, most of the things they say about Germany isn't news. Including the assessment of Westerwelle. Especially the assessment of Westerwelle.

topical: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-first-scalp-german-aide

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I bought a bottle of Stroh "80" rum because it was on sale but it tastes and smells terrible. Is there anything I can mix this with to make it drinkable.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

I bought a bottle of Stroh "80" rum because it was on sale but it tastes and smells terrible. Is there anything I can mix this with to make it drinkable.

I know Stroh 80 with Sprite. Not sure about the mixture, but go easy on the rum and add lots of ice.

EDIT: Official Stroh recipes :haw:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 12, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put some in black tea to make Jagertee, and if you ever find yourself thinking "hmm this drink is okay but it would be much better if it was on fire" Stroh 80's got your back.

The stuff's main use is for mixing, I guess it's sort of the local equivalent of Everclear, except with its own taste.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2010

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
Dang, I don't drink and I want to make one of those. Though metal straw, really?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

My Lovely Horse posted:

Put some in black tea to make Jagertee, and if you ever find yourself thinking "hmm this drink is okay but it would be much better if it was on fire" Stroh 80's got your back.

The stuff's main use is for mixing, I guess it's sort of the local equivalent of Everclear, except with its own taste.

Speaking of Everclear can you not buy it over here? Seems that way especially since my flatmates and friends have never heard of it.

Speaking of drinking, is there a German website that sells plastic flamingos? I need one and no store I've checked has it and all Germans I've asked look at me with a weird face.

If you're wondering why.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I approve of this usage. Neckermann does have a flamingo, but it might be a tad expensive. Also who can tell if that thing is hollow the way you'd need it. I also found this but the same applies.

You could do some cultural adapting and just lop the tip off a garden gnome's hat.

Comedy/budget/largest potential for bodily harm option:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

Why would you try to drink a 80% alcohol rum straight...? And what did you expect it would/could taste like?
I only ever use it for Feuerzangenbowle.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

My Lovely Horse posted:

I approve of this usage. Neckermann does have a flamingo, but it might be a tad expensive. Also who can tell if that thing is hollow the way you'd need it. I also found this but the same applies.

You could do some cultural adapting and just lop the tip off a garden gnome's hat.

Comedy/budget/largest potential for bodily harm option:

Cultural adaptation sounds good, where can I find garden gnomes preferably in a store locally? I'd have to see if it's hollow and if it'll work and $2 overnight shipping from free Amazon Prime when I was in the US spoiled me. Doesn't have to be a gnome I guess, maybe I'll check out a toy store tomorrow since I've got some time.

westborn posted:

Why would you try to drink a 80% alcohol rum straight...? And what did you expect it would/could taste like?

I bought it cause I needed some high proof rum for Flaming Dr. Pepper but even burning and mixing it with Ameretto and beer it still tasted fowl. This rum just has some kind of weird artificial flavoring that tastes nothing like rum.

Feuerzangenbowle was fun to do and looked cool but I didn't like it all too much. Neither did I like Glühwein. I'm guessing I just don't like warm alcohol.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2010

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

Cultural adaptation sounds good, where can I find garden gnomes preferably in a store locally?
A Gartencenter like Dehner is your best bet, some Baumärkte might have them too.
Try this, type in your zipcode where it says "Ihre PLZ?" and it'll show you a Gartencenter near you.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

westborn posted:

I literally made a :swoon: face when I read that Feuerzangenbowle article. I must find a way of making it properly over here. I've downed plenty of bottles of 151 in my day and this would be a great way to down even more!

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Brokyn posted:

I literally made a :swoon: face when I read that Feuerzangenbowle article. I must find a way of making it properly over here. I've downed plenty of bottles of 151 in my day and this would be a great way to down even more!

I visited a bar in Marburg that specialized in these, they are nothing short of amazing. :swoon: The bar also had a rather extensive Absinthe menu, it was impressive.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Right, gonna try and hit germny at the end of Jan next year. Don;t think I can do berlin as the flights seem to be a bit more expensive and Im going by buying tickets for me and somone and ill just check the tickets if noone else can go (ryanair ones are going mega cheap to dusseldorf, frankfurt and munich)

Any work on which city would be best to go to. Also bear in mind I don't want to spend much. Im gonna try and do like 4 days

Also I guess berlin isn't crazy bad price wise but its probabaly not as dispoably priced as Id like

As far as what I would be doing, probabaly drinking beer and eating stuff. I am ok with touristy stuff but its not really a must, so long as there is something interesting for me to see.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 13, 2010

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Berlin is cheap. It doesn't get cheaper. (You could go to some village in the East where nobody wants to be. That would be slightly cheaper.)

Edit1: How much more expensive are tickets to Berlin?

Edit2: I think Düsseldorf would be cheaper than Frankfurt and Munich.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2010

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice
I think berlin was like £10 each way, as I said I would prob buy 2 tickets on the hopes someone else would be able to join without having to buy the tickets at a higher price. £40 seems like a lot to throw away tho if somone else doesnt want to go. I do know a girl in Berlin tho so that could help.

the tickets to all the other places were £3

£3! :stare:

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
Where are you flying from? It really depends on the airline and when you check, but Berlin is usually pretty cheap. We also have two airports, SFX and TXL, so make sure you're checking both. RyanAir does usually go Schönefeld (SFX), airlines like Lufthansa and Air Berlin (more expensive) go through Tegel (TXL).

You might want to check trains if you're anywhere near Germany. And I agree that Düsseldorf is probably going to be the cheapest of the three you named. The cost for a hotel/room/whatever and food is also probably going to be cheaper in Berlin and Düsseldorf. For the capital, Berlin is surprisingly cheap.

E: Check taxes. Flights might seem incredibly cheap, but chances are that there are hidden fees involved. RyanAir, for instance, charges 10 extra Euros/Pounds to check-in in person and not print a boarding pass ahead of time. They also charge for more than ONE carry-on bag, and you really have to read through what you're actually paying for. Seats (on most airlines) are pretty dang cheap, even free sometimes, but the taxes will cost you a lot more.

Allia fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Allia posted:

E: Check taxes. Flights might seem incredibly cheap, but chances are that there are hidden fees involved. RyanAir, for instance, charges 10 extra Euros/Pounds to check-in in person and not print a boarding pass ahead of time. They also charge for more than ONE carry-on bag, and you really have to read through what you're actually paying for. Seats (on most airlines) are pretty dang cheap, even free sometimes, but the taxes will cost you a lot more.
Will prob fly from edinburgh

Yeah I have anticipated that theyre gonna catch me with fees somewhere but I know about how to get past as many fees as possible (i.e only hand luggage thats 10kg, online checkin, etc)