Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

So from July to August there will be a bunch of pissed off bankers finally selling the options they received instead of cash at bonus time. This means a flood of sales and I'm wondering how to best play this. Not every bank issued options so getting short of KBW or something similar would be inefficient. FAZ is retarded. I'm also not sure that, despite the eagerness to sell there won't be Smart Money laying in wait to snap up discounted shares thus whipsawing my dumb rear end. If the latter occurs it would be nice if one was able to pick up some low vega puts before people start selling, then dump them on the IV spike. Alternatively, one could wait until bank employees start dumping and sell puts/deep-and-wide iron condors with inflated vol. Thoughts?

First off, do you mind explaining what this sentence means "Alternatively, one could wait until bank employees start dumping and sell puts/deep-and-wide iron condors with inflated vol"?

Second, you are quite confident the bank stocks are going down. Given that, whether smart money buys or not, wouldn't selling puts still work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Nifty posted:

First off, do you mind explaining what this sentence means "Alternatively, one could wait until bank employees start dumping and sell puts/deep-and-wide iron condors with inflated vol"?

A sell-off results in Implied Volatility. If you did think that there will be a lot of people buying the dip you can sell puts with a higher IV. If you're not sure that there will purchases on the dip but still feel that the stock will stay between prices X and Y you sell an Iron Condor with the short positions such that you win between X and Y. The "deep-and-wide" comment was just a reference to the fact that X and Y may not be the 1 strike apart that makes up a "normal" IC.

quote:

Second, you are quite confident the bank stocks are going down. Given that, whether smart money buys or not, wouldn't selling puts still work out?

Selling puts only works if there are buyers on the dip and the puts you sold expire OTM. Buying puts gives you the risk of (a) a whipsaw from dip buyers and (b) paying too high of a premium because of increased vol.

Clearly I'm not the only person who sees extra volatility for bank stocks this summer I'm just wondering about the best way to play it.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Hobologist posted:

I guess that means my tomorrow's also going to be hell, though.

Yep, called it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravarek posted:

Cramer is an unimaginative perma-bull, just like almost everybody else on CNBC.
Clearly you don't watch Fast Money :colbert:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I hope this pullback continues tomorrow. I'd like to go bargain shopping.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Is Europe really messing up Chinese solar this much? LDK anyone? I heard they made a killing this quarter

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
What the hell is up with USDJPY, it tanked like 3 yen in like 30 minutes...

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Oh my god my t/p was at 90.0 before I sold it rofl

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Ain't the only thing tanking, my DSX is down like 7%, luckily I sold some calls on DJX.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Pretty funny to see what took a month to gain dissipate in a few days for the PIGS (WYNN, CRM, CREE, SLG). Guess buyers didn't have that much faith in them after all.

If this sell off ends up like 2008 did, there are a ton of Chinese companies that should sell for extremely attractive levels that shouldn't see too much of a growth slowdown as long as they have high internal country sales. Even if growth does stall, they're already trading at depressed levels as is.

PWRD and CYD as two examples.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
So... I guess the market doesn't like the approval of the Greek austerity bill.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
Pretty brutal day if you're heavily into commodity stocks like I am. Have some spare cash though, so put in some bottom feeding orders for E and TOT, and also kind of tempted to pick up some EXC. We'll see how those work out.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I honestly thought yesterday was the turn, glad I didn't get too long of anything. Sold my dogs (financials, oil) this morning, got long GLD call spreads and then SPY put spreads once we broke 1135.

See ya at 1100.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Tom Rakewell posted:

Pretty brutal day if you're heavily into commodity stocks like I am. Have some spare cash though, so put in some bottom feeding orders for E and TOT, and also kind of tempted to pick up some EXC. We'll see how those work out.

Yes, I'm not quite sure how an oil rig blowing up tanks the price of oil, or how either of those facts tanks the price of Linn Energy, a company that hedges all of its production for years in advance.

I oppose averaging down on principle, but still...

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Dow Down 511 (goddamn I just stopped there cuz it kept going down every second,) I wish I had some cash, excellent buy opportunity for some of the poo poo I watch, but Im still paying on taxes. Had some poo poo I needed to sell to pay said tax, but the stock value has dropped over 3 bucks per share since I needed. Ill just stick it out. No way Im taking hundreds of dollars of loss just to stem the blood flow.

Dow now down 570. :smith:

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Wow, uh we might limit down.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, what happened? Dow down 875 last I looked.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Oh my god my software is going crazy. Price is gapping a full 50 ticks on the mini dow, the DOM levels are all split up, this is complete chaos.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
double post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
this owns

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
What the hell? This is surreal. Was looking at EXC and saw it go from 40 to 30 to 20 to 39 on Google Finance. I hope that was a bug?!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
At least there is the dead cat bounce!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Oh my god my software is going crazy. Price is gapping a full 50 ticks on the mini dow, the DOM levels are all split up, this is complete chaos.

My RUT puts have an Ask of $10,000,000/contract and a 0 bid. The 111 SPY puts I'm short are worth more than than the 112's I'm long.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Well we just had a recession and a recovery inside of an hour.

My question is if any trades are going to get broken.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
BUY IT ALLLLLLLLLl

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I strongly predict that this next 1hr and 4 minutes is going to see insane changes.

:derp::derp::derp::derp::derp:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
gently caress i put a market buy order in when we hit 9.8k and it still hasnt executed

its sitting there taunting me - did the markets close?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have no idea what's going on. I've owned AAPL since it was $40 a few years ago. It's now jumping around being down $40 to down $10. What should I be doing?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I just added to my NOV position at 39.90.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have no idea what's going on. I've owned AAPL since it was $40 a few years ago. What should I be doing?

You should be smiling smugly that it's at ~$240. Don't go all crazy and sell right now.

edit: in time it took me to post this, it went from $240 back to $245. Don't sell.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol I guess the government turned the hose on at 2:45.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

In other stocks, today is the cheapest day in months to buy Ford, if anyone was waiting for a good time.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

gently caress i put a market buy order in when we hit 9.8k and it still hasn't executed

its sitting there taunting me - did the markets close?

ok etrade was just slammed and not updating, this is nuts.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Scottrade is also taking absurdly long to update.

I'm telling you, everyone's going all

:derp::derp::derp:

I kinda am :shobon:

potidaean
Nov 23, 2005

I impulse bought UPI which I've been watching lately, at 3. Jumped to 4.8 today in the middle of the carnage. Yay for the incontinent I guess.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Haha all algo trading computers just got broken I think. Weird rear end spreads on everything as market orders entered during the 10 minute recession and recovery randomly print.

Haha look at VYM, thinly traded stock went from 38 to .50, then to 41. Hit a 52 week low and 52 week high in the same hour.

Jack fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2010

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

pr0k posted:

I just added to my NOV position at 39.90.

Sold that pig today for a very small profit at open (overpaid for it a while back, sat on it hoping for a major increase that never came) and don't plan on looking back. I like the company, but the stock, and really those of most of the oil services sector has been dead in the water forever. What was your original cost basis? I may get back in this collapse keeps going and NOV tests 30, but that probably won't happen.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Jack posted:

Haha all algo trading computers just got broken I think. Weird rear end spreads on everything as market orders entered during the 10 minute recession and recovery randomly print.

Indeed. WIN went from 9.71 to 6.97 apparently without hitting anything in between.

I wonder what actually happened.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
So that's what happens when a million stop orders get taken out at once? I was curious what that would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
uhhhhh, did anyone else see every single iShares etf drop to 1 cent per share? what in the holy gently caress was that about?