Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

My guess is it starts understeering/pushing the front as the scoot doesn't enough traction once the second wheel goes away, so it pushes until the second wheel touches down again, regains traction, and basically just understeers like crazy.

Huh, I would think it would just wash out and go down at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Huh, I would think it would just wash out and go down at that point.

I don't think they can really "wash out" because there's so much contact patch on the front end. Plus it's a trike so while the front can get way out of line, it's not going to increase lean angle in any meaningful way.

I'd love to play around with one and see just how stupid you have to get to crash one. Sadly, I haven't found anyone who's willing to loan me an MP3 yet to act like a hooligan on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here.

The MP3 is the one with three wheels that actually does lean like a bike, right?

If so, say you're turning right, and leaning right, after a certain lean angle, the left tire should lift up, leaving you severely leaned over on a tire thats right of center.

Which in my mind would make it wash out, but who knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here.

The MP3 is the one with three wheels that actually does lean like a bike, right?

If so, say you're turning right, and leaning right, after a certain lean angle, the left tire should lift up, leaving you severely leaned over on a tire thats right of center.

Which in my mind would make it wash out, but who knows.

Hrm, you're right...I assumed that because it has 2 wheels in the front, it'd try and lift the inside wheel like a car, but that doesn't really make sense when you're adding lean angle. So maybe it would wash out? I don't know.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Someone is selling a MP3 500 near me for 4600 bucks with only like 500 miles. Should I???

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
GREATER SEATTLE SCOOTER GOONS

I know there are a few of us in here.

Over the summer there was a Seattle Scooterist Happy Hour every Friday and it was good. It was on Capitol Hill at a rooftop bar, and was hosted by some folks from the Emerald City Soul Club who spun classic soul music on original vinyl all night.

Well, the venue that hosted screwed ECSC people over, and nothing happened for a while.

And some of us got tired of not having routine scooter poo poo to do on Friday nights, so we're bringing it back. I'm not sure if we'll do this every Friday night or go bi-weekly or monthly or something during the rainy season, but we're doing our first Seattle Scooterist Happy Hour II this Friday, 11/4. We may even rotate venues! Nobody loving knows!

All are welcome, regardless of bike. Or even if you don't ride! Whatever! Drink $1 PBR and eat pizza and bullshit with scooterists! There may or may not (probably not) be soul music.

This is the Facebook event. I'll probably just change the date on it as we go, so after the 4th I'll edit it to the 11th, etc.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

TLG James posted:

Someone is selling a MP3 500 near me for 4600 bucks with only like 500 miles. Should I???

Yes! But talk them down 1k, chances are they dropped it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Anyone here have a Buddy Scooter and recharged the battery? My girlfriend's scooter (Buddy 125) is only kickstarting, but when I hook up the battery tender, it (the battery tender) makes a weird clicking noise and turns off after a few seconds. I know the tender is working fine because I just used it on my Kymco.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something special about Buddy's setup or why it is behaving weird, but the internet isn't turning up anything.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If the battery is dead-dead, it can overwhelm the circuit breaker on your charger (probably the clicking). It believes that there is a short or something due to the huge draw from the dead battery. (Or it's possible that there really IS a short somewhere.) Check the instructions for your charger and see if it recommends just leaving it on - mine does. It eventually charges up enough that the breaker doesn't trip so often, but during the beginning it might trip every 30 seconds or whatever.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Dalrain posted:

If the battery is dead-dead, it can overwhelm the circuit breaker on your charger (probably the clicking). It believes that there is a short or something due to the huge draw from the dead battery. (Or it's possible that there really IS a short somewhere.) Check the instructions for your charger and see if it recommends just leaving it on - mine does. It eventually charges up enough that the breaker doesn't trip so often, but during the beginning it might trip every 30 seconds or whatever.

My charger instructions didn't have any notes, but It did seem to be tripping less as time went on. My charger has 2 settings, 1A and 2A, and my girlfriend thought the clicking might be due to incompatability since the battery is marked as 0.7A. I didn't think this was actually correct, but didn't feel like getting into it since it is her scooter.

EDIT: Ugh, now the battery seems to be DEAD dead - no lights come on when hooked up to the charger.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 7, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The long awaited BMW maxiscoot has been revealed at EICMA.

From http://scootinoldskool.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/bmw-scooters-get-used-to-hearing-about-urban-mobility/

quote:

The C600 Sport [right] and C650GT [left] are both powered by a 647cc twin-cylinder engine (not the 800 of previous speculation). This engine features four valves per cylinder and a dry-sump lubrication system. BMW claims 60 hp (44 kW) and 48.6 foot-lbs (66 Nm) of torque.

I believe 60hp is right around that of a Burgman 650, and I think a bit more than the Yamaha T-Max. I wonder how much it weighs (and how much it will cost). I believe ABS is standard.

Hilariously, the BMW Motorcycles website now has an "Urban Mobility" section on their splash page.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 8, 2011

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The long awaited BMW maxiscoot has been revealed at EICMA.

From http://scootinoldskool.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/bmw-scooters-get-used-to-hearing-about-urban-mobility/

I believe 60hp is right around that of a Burgman 650, and I think a bit more than the Yamaha T-Max. I wonder how much it weighs (and how much it will cost). I believe ABS is standard.

Hilariously, the BMW Motorcycles website now has an "Urban Mobility" section on their splash page.

Time to start saving!

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I did some alterations to my scooter...

I'm the guy with hair.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 12, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Nice headlights. Also nice headlights.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to call it the Maternity scooter or the delivery scooter.

I haven't ridden to work with it yet because I'm not sure the law firm will be ok with it. I also need to work out a better way to mount it because the way I have it now reduces my turning radius.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
This is what I got a couple of months ago:

The only problem is the seat won't close anymore, which isn't really an issue as I don't keep anything under there.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Seems like that'd be an issue going over bumps.

Circus Pies! posted:

I haven't ridden to work with it yet because I'm not sure the law firm will be ok with it.
I'm going to guess "no".

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Seems like that'd be an issue going over bumps.

Less than you'd think. The only real issue is people can access the under seat storage/fuel tank while you're not there.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

open24hours posted:

I would never advise anyone not to wear gear, and in a perfect world everyone would wear it, but there has to be some trade off between convenience and safety. In the West the point at which people draw the line between an acceptable risk and an unacceptable one seems to be much closer to safety than convenience. I'm not offering advice, just an observation.

Well, I have to come up with something to ask my parents for for Xmas, and since I now have a 250 CC scooter, I figured I'd ask for some better riding clothes. Any suggestions on what kind of stuff I should be looking for? I took a gander at the motorcycle gear thread, but I can't tell if they're talking about regular commuter gear or race track stuff. And holy poo poo, some of it is expensive. I'd prefer not to spend more on riding clothes than I did on the scooter.

Currently, I have a helmet and gloves I'm pretty happy with, but I'm realizing that the denim jacket I got from GoodWill isn't much protection. Now that I can go over 35 mph (closer to 70), I really want to at least get a better jacket. I should go down to a bike shop to try some stuff on, I guess, but I'd appreciate any starting advice.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Peristalsis posted:

Well, I have to come up with something to ask my parents for for Xmas, and since I now have a 250 CC scooter, I figured I'd ask for some better riding clothes. Any suggestions on what kind of stuff I should be looking for? I took a gander at the motorcycle gear thread, but I can't tell if they're talking about regular commuter gear or race track stuff. And holy poo poo, some of it is expensive. I'd prefer not to spend more on riding clothes than I did on the scooter.

Currently, I have a helmet and gloves I'm pretty happy with, but I'm realizing that the denim jacket I got from GoodWill isn't much protection. Now that I can go over 35 mph (closer to 70), I really want to at least get a better jacket. I should go down to a bike shop to try some stuff on, I guess, but I'd appreciate any starting advice.

The best riding jacket I've ever had is the shop jacket from https://corazzo.net. It looks good, is super comfortable when riding, and wasn't ridiculously expensive. 95% of my friends that ride have corazzo jackets. Look in the unisex section, that's where the best jackets are IMO.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I got my Fieldsheer jacket at Motorcycle Closeouts for about $90 (down from over $300), yeah Corazzo stuff looks expensive since their site lists MSRP. It's cheaper at Dennis Kirk.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Peristalsis posted:

My starting advice would be to go to a bike shop and try some stuff on. And spend some time browsing some good gear sites, like
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
https://www.motorcyclegear.com
https://www.kneedraggers.com
https://www.revzilla.com
etc
and see what's out there. You can get good jackets of just about every variety for under $150 basically everywhere (especially online), good pants for under $150, good gloves for under $50, etc. Remember that your first purchases won't be your last.

Corazzo is pretty good. I had a Speedway which I recently sold. Their cuts are weird. They're more expensive than more fully-featured gear from bigger brands. They're better looking than gear from most major brands. I've heard their production is moving to lower-cost Asian countries, while my old jacket was made in Canada. The quality on mine was top-notch with great materials.

Some more general advice:
1: Buy gear from major brands on deep discount to lessen the financial impact until you've used some gear for a while and know what you're really after. Your first jacket will not be your last jacket.
2: Don't get caught in a "scooter gear" versus "motorcycle gear" mentality. They need the same things.

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
I got a 2011 Kymco Agility 50 in June as a graduation present, and I just loving adore it. ~200 miles a tank(1.3 gallons), smooth ride, a great first bike.

But I feel like I maybe should start tentatively looking towards the future. I'd like a beefier bike--this one really starts to chug on hills and I'm about 110 pounds--but am not sure where to go. I've sort of looked at the Sachs Madass line, because Goddamn if those aren't some cool bikes, and I figure if I'm committing to getting a beefier bike and getting a license and all that poo poo I might as well go for the one I've been lusting after.

Anyone got experience with those?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Fredrick posted:

I got a 2011 Kymco Agility 50 in June as a graduation present, and I just loving adore it. ~200 miles a tank(1.3 gallons), smooth ride, a great first bike.

But I feel like I maybe should start tentatively looking towards the future. I'd like a beefier bike--this one really starts to chug on hills and I'm about 110 pounds--but am not sure where to go. I've sort of looked at the Sachs Madass line, because Goddamn if those aren't some cool bikes, and I figure if I'm committing to getting a beefier bike and getting a license and all that poo poo I might as well go for the one I've been lusting after.

Anyone got experience with those?

I don't know much about the MadAss personally, but Steve Guzman liked it. My big concern would be parts availability and dealer support, as I think PEIRSPEED has been spotty in the past. But I haven't kept on them, really, so I'd suggest further research.

There's nothing quite like the MadAss out there, though, so it's difficult to make suggestions for anything else to look at. SYMba, maybe?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

From what I've read, the MadAss 50 is neat, but scooter slow. Especially the newer 4-stroke version. Parts are going to be a challenge regardless of how many strokes the engine has, though.

Have you removed the washer in the variator and fiddled with the carburetor jet on the Kymco yet? All sorts of tips for your scoot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I need some help. I have a Keeway F-Act (aka a cheap Chinese scoot) 125cc with a flat battery. The kick pedal on this thing is a bitch. In the past I have been able to kick it after about 15 frustrating minutes, but this time it just doesn't seem to work anymore. I must have kicked the poor thing 30 times and all it is doing is making the lights flash. I tried giving it a little gas too but it's no good. The pedal was starting to feel wierd so I stopped. I know it has gas, and it was running just fine 8 hours before, although even with the electric start it takes a while before it runs on its own. Is there some I'm doing wrong? Do I just need to suck it up and have it towed to a mechanic?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Buying a new battery to see if the electric starter will get it to run might be cheaper than having it towed, let alone have a mechanic look at it.

It's nearly identical to my Vento Triton R4, save for the engine. I think yours is the 150cc version of the GY6. I tried using the kickstarter on a 50cc GY6 and even then it was a huge bitch to get to work right.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Finally joining the scooter-riding ranks (well, almost). Got my motorcycle endorsement in September and purchased a second-hand 125cc Yamaha Vino in Seattle last month, except now I've gone and lost the single key I got with it.

Turns out the key code was also written incorrectly in the manual (no clue of where it was originally purchased from). Any suggestions on getting a replacement short of yanking the ignition out?

In the meantime, we've had to epoxy and repaint the plastic headlight casing since it took a spill from the light rail tracks. One of the brake levers broke and got scuffed up a bit, but that's all solved/cosmetic anyway.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

nooo second page :(

Got new stickers!

The "current riding" stickers were giveaways/for sale at the last couple rallies in town, and the girl leaning on a Vespa is from a 1970s Vespa print ad. Apparently it was the logo of an all-girl scooter club in Seattle and Portland that is now defunct; there was a woman handing the stickers out at the last rally.

And this is for my fellow Kurt Vonnegut fans. I had it printed by SA's own (former) http://kitschstickers.com/

I still do small vinyl projects on the side, so feel free to message/PM me anytime you need a replacement rear end in a top hat :v:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Kitsch! posted:

Finally joining the scooter-riding ranks (well, almost). Got my motorcycle endorsement in September and purchased a second-hand 125cc Yamaha Vino in Seattle last month, except now I've gone and lost the single key I got with it.

Congrats on joining the scooter-riding ranks. The Vino 125 is a great choice. I miss mine (same color as yours, too). I don't have any good tips on the key, thing, though, sorry. A locksmith might be able to make you a new one from the current ignition, but it might be easier to just replace it.

Whereabouts in the Seattle area are you? Me and some cronies organize a Seattle Scooterist Happy Hours on some Fridays to get together and bullshit and drink and maybe ride. They're a little inconsistent right now due to holidays and weather but we try to hang out even if we can't ride - some people have been driving to them. I'm not sure when the next one will be, maybe New Year's. They're usually in Capitol Hill.

I've only been in Seattle a year but in this time I've met a lot of area scooterists and scooter club people, from Tacoma to Bellingham, so if you're looking to join "the community" let me know.

And thanks again for the sticker - that Vonnegut rear end in a top hat looks as good as the day I put it on. I'll definitely look you up if I need something else.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 19, 2011

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Congrats on joining the scooter-riding ranks. The Vino 125 is a great choice. I miss mine (same color as yours, too). I don't have any good tips on the key, thing, though, sorry. A locksmith might be able to make you a new one from the current ignition, but it might be easier to just replace it.

Whereabouts in the Seattle area are you? Me and some cronies organize a Seattle Scooterist Happy Hours on some Fridays to get together and bullshit and drink and maybe ride. They're a little inconsistent right now due to holidays and weather but we try to hang out even if we can't ride - some people have been driving to them. I'm not sure when the next one will be, maybe New Year's. They're usually in Capitol Hill.

I've only been in Seattle a year but in this time I've met a lot of area scooterists and scooter club people, from Tacoma to Bellingham, so if you're looking to join "the community" let me know.

And thanks again for the sticker - that Vonnegut rear end in a top hat looks as good as the day I put it on. I'll definitely look you up if I need something else.

My fiance took out the ignition yesterday and it's hopefully going to the locksmith tomorrow. Fingers crossed the replacements will be done within a couple days.

I'm actually in Tacoma. We rode the scooter back via Hwy 99 in the pouring rain too. I'm going to try to get some riding in on nicer days to get used to the city streets as well. I wouldn't mind joining up when I get a little bit more experienced :)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Kitsch! posted:

My fiance took out the ignition yesterday and it's hopefully going to the locksmith tomorrow. Fingers crossed the replacements will be done within a couple days.

I'm actually in Tacoma. We rode the scooter back via Hwy 99 in the pouring rain too. I'm going to try to get some riding in on nicer days to get used to the city streets as well. I wouldn't mind joining up when I get a little bit more experienced :)

Good luck on the new keys, I know how frustrating it can be to be unable to ride :(

There are 2 clubs I know of down in Tacoma, and I've met people from both and they've been great: the gently caress Yeah Scooter Club and the Firkin SC.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

:woop: Vino Army!!!! :woop:

I'm getting another one for my girlfriend sometime this spring so we can go riding all summer. :woop:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Kitsch! posted:

Turns out the key code was also written incorrectly in the manual (no clue of where it was originally purchased from). Any suggestions on getting a replacement short of yanking the ignition out?

Man, that sucks. I broke my only key off in the ignition of my first scooter, and had to have a locksmith come to my place in his mobile truck thing to make a copy. Possibly the most expensive key in history. You might want to take your title with you, just in case they want to verify that you own the vehicle for which you're making the key. I'm not sure how much good it would do with just the ignition, unless it has a copy of the VIN on it, but if they're anal about it, it could save you a trip back to your place. Also, if the Vino has some sort of trunk or helmet lock that uses the same key, make sure to test out the new key on those, too, while you can still take it back if it doesn't work.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Finally ordered a new seat for my Stella. The crotch-area seam on the stock one burst a while ago, and I'm using this as a chance to get a different one.

I went with a Super Corsa. I hope it bolts up okay.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I'm getting another one for my girlfriend sometime this spring so we can go riding all summer. :woop:

Well, that didn't exactly happen. There hasn't been much in the way of good Vino 125's for sale on CL this winter, and the ones that do pop up, no one would respond to emails. While looking digging through CL I found a guy trying to sell a 2008 Genuine Buddy 50 with 8k miles for $650. It had been down once but had only cosmetic damage and still has a clean title.

Turns out the bike was in pretty drat good shape for the $600 we paid for it. It needs a tune-up but I was still able to hit nearly 45 mph on flat ground on the way home. Not bad for a 50cc, which also means my girlfriend doesnt need to get her endorsement yet. Win-Win.

Also, because it's a 2-stroke I get to put a big whale-dick exhaust on it!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Turns out the bike was in pretty drat good shape for the $600 we paid for it. It needs a tune-up but I was still able to hit nearly 45 mph on flat ground on the way home. Not bad for a 50cc, which also means my girlfriend doesnt need to get her endorsement yet. Win-Win.

You will want to double check the laws about the 50cc/licensing thing. Here in WA there's a speed limit, too - get clocked over 30 and the bike becomes a legal motorcycle.

Grats on the purchase, though! Now throw a 70 kit on that bitch to go with that pipe.

In my own scooter news, I got a new seat:

It's a Super Corsa (copy?) from Motorsport Scooters aka scooterwest.com. I was unsure if it would be an easy install - slight differences between Stellas and P/PXes - but it bolted right up and even latched onto the seat pin no problem, once I got the alignment right.

I'm not very impressed. :(

The good:
-It was cheap. $130 + free shipping + 10% discount.
-It does look pretty great, and leaves pretty much the perfect amount of seat area for me to move around riding solo. I never have a pillion since my girlfriend hates scooters
-It's got a metal frame (versus plastic for the stock seat)
-It bolted right up

The bad:
-The vinyl feels really cheap and plasticy
-The foam is really hard, but I suspect it'll break in - overall it's really not more or less comfortable than the stock seat, but I haven't done any long rides
-It sits high, which you can see in the 2nd pic. There are rubber bumpers that it rests on, and I might remove them and try and find smaller ones to see if I can get it to sit lower (the gap isn't so visible from normal viewing angles)

I'm not so bummed as to return it but I don't suspect I'll have this thing forever.

In OTHER OTHER news I'm probably going in on renting a 1-car garage with a couple scooter buddies, and it's only 2 blocks from my apartment! No more streetside repairs! :woop: (and I can buy another bike)

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 10, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Yea Nebraska is really bad with scooter laws. It needs pedals, or it's a motorcycle.

Sock Monkey Wrench
Jan 1, 2012
I scanned over this thread and didn't find anything relating to this, so if I happened to miss it I apologize.

I have a 2006 Honda Metropolitan and I am re-locating from LA to the Midwest next month. Has anyone ever shipped a scooter to another state? Are there shipping services anywhere for that type of thing? I know amtrak ships packages, but I don't know if they would ship anything that big..

In the meantime I'm going to have a friend store it in a garage. I'm not taking it with me initially because I'm not going to be able to ride it anyway because of the weather.

So can anyone help me out with any info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Might want to ask this guy how his shipping experience went, considering he did it just days ago. Thats if its even arrived yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3098443&pagenumber=117#post399442216