Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

for sale posted:

Thanks again Safety Dance for getting the idea in my head in the first place.

:h: :h:

That's a really good looking bike. Is that sand-colored plasti-dip? Do you know if the cam chain tensioner (doohickey?) was taken care of?

I can't remember who, but someone on the board here has a KLR with the 795(?)cc expansion kit, and he said that smoothed his KLR out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Safety Dance posted:

:h: :h:

That's a really good looking bike. Is that sand-colored plasti-dip? Do you know if the cam chain tensioner (doohickey?) was taken care of?

I can't remember who, but someone on the board here has a KLR with the 795(?)cc expansion kit, and he said that smoothed his KLR out a bit.

To be honest the first thing I asked him about was the paint and he just said straight up that it's just two coats of krylon. I had an idea of throwing truck bed liner on all of it before I got it, but it does really look clean in the end, not to mention a retouch is about ten bucks and an hour. The doohickey is a weekend project that I haven't had a weekend for, but it is definitely on top of the list. Boring out the cylinder is going to be a promotion present to myself.

Edit: Also, for anybody planning to buy a used bike, seafoam really is some amazing stuff. I threw half a can of it in my tank doubting it would do anything at all but it really does feel like a whole new bike almost instantly after it started burning. The stuff really is magic for all the little things.

for sale fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2014

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Yeah, for sale, that bike looks awesome. And 1200 + your labor? Doesn't sound like a bad deal.

I've spent the last couple weeks (and today especially) really bummed/pissed about winterizing the bike, and about living in a climate that mostly requires me to do so. Just one more reason 2014 will be the year I move west.

Looking out the window at another 6" snowfall, gently caress this place. I want to ride.

Putting together a list of this year's work:

Windscreen upgrade
Steel brake lines
Fork brace
Subframe bolt replacement (I got the drill-through kit but might just do a heavier duty bolt replacement)

And I can't wait to do each and every little bit of it. Longest winter ever.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
More jumpy-chain adventures: I adjusted the slack this morning, and it was riding much more smoothly. I decided to pick up some oil to have on hand for my next change.

When I stopped by the dealership to pick up oil the gear guy offered me a super good deal on some Anakee 3 Michelin tires (300$ for the pair, when their sticker price in the shop was 580$ for the pair).

I decided to just do it since I had the cash, and settled in to read popular mechanics back issues while they threw the new tires on. About 15 minutes later the mechanic comes out with my front and rear sprockets in hand, pointing out that my rear sprocket looked like a line of loving sharks teeth they were so worn down, and my front sprocket was basically missing some tines and was just about dead. A trip for oil turned into a set of new tires turned into a set of new tires plus new front and rear sprocket plus new chain. Goodbye money, hello much more reliable and smooth riding KLR. And as a bonus they included the shop time for the sprocket/chain replacement in the tire swap fee.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking at upgrading the stock tail light on my bike and though really pricey, so far this seems to be the best option I can find:

http://www.cyclenutz.com/KLR650-LED-Tail-Light-Conversion-Kit_p_66.html

Has anyone else wired up LEDs for their tail light, and if so, what did you use? I'm tempted to go the DIY route, but I don't trust my soldering to hold up to riding.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I never did an LED tail light on mine. That looks like a pretty straightforward kit; I doubt you could do the same for much cheaper DIY.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I've seen a few klr's with that kit and the are so bright. The pulses and extra brightness really made it stand out.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

kenny powerzzz posted:

I've seen a few klr's with that kit and the are so bright. The pulses and extra brightness really made it stand out.

My KLR had that very kit installed already when I bought it. I enjoy giving the drivers behind me seizures, it makes me sure they know I'm stopping.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DJ_Ferret posted:

My KLR had that very kit installed already when I bought it. I enjoy giving the drivers behind me seizures, it makes me sure they know I'm stopping.

Thanks! That's good to know--that'll be my next upgrade when payday rolls around.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the stock seat for long distance riding? My cheeks were pretty numb after four hours of riding on the stock seat, and I'd like to make the seat more tolerable for some trips coming up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fortunately, the KLR enjoys a vigorous aftermarket. Your options are:

- Seat covers
-- Sweet Cheeks: http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks Some of the DRZ people like these
-- Beadrider: http://www.beadrider.com/ Clutchpuck has one and likes it. I have one but haven't tried it yet.
-- Sheepskin butt pads: http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Sheepskin-Buttpads/Categories
- Aftermarket seat foam
-- Seat Concepts: http://www.seatconcepts.com/products?Itemid=75&option=com_rokecwid&view=ecwid&ecwid_category_id=1671354 I had one on my Husqvarna. Requires you to rebuild your seat yourself. It's really simple. I was able to do it in an evening.
-- Renazco: http://www.renazco.com/default.cfm Expensive, but top quality number 1 best. Dude had like a four month turn around the last time I checked, but that was like Summer of 2012.
- Aftermarket seats
-- Corbin: http://www.corbin.com/
-- Also Corbin, but not a terrible website: http://www.happy-trail.com/Departments/Find-Your-Bike/Kawasaki/KLR650E-08-plus-/Seats.aspx

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Fortunately, the KLR enjoys a vigorous aftermarket. Your options are:

- Seat covers
-- Sweet Cheeks: http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks Some of the DRZ people like these
-- Beadrider: http://www.beadrider.com/ Clutchpuck has one and likes it. I have one but haven't tried it yet.
-- Sheepskin butt pads: http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Sheepskin-Buttpads/Categories
- Aftermarket seat foam
-- Seat Concepts: http://www.seatconcepts.com/products?Itemid=75&option=com_rokecwid&view=ecwid&ecwid_category_id=1671354 I had one on my Husqvarna. Requires you to rebuild your seat yourself. It's really simple. I was able to do it in an evening.
-- Renazco: http://www.renazco.com/default.cfm Expensive, but top quality number 1 best. Dude had like a four month turn around the last time I checked, but that was like Summer of 2012.
- Aftermarket seats
-- Corbin: http://www.corbin.com/
-- Also Corbin, but not a terrible website: http://www.happy-trail.com/Departments/Find-Your-Bike/Kawasaki/KLR650E-08-plus-/Seats.aspx

Whoa--thanks for the effort post! That's extremely helpful to have all the options laid out like that. I might just have to pick up a couple and see what works best for me.

I really like the idea of sweet cheeks and the bead seat... I'm assuming the obvious answer is no, but would something like that affect your balance on the bike? Like if you were leaning into a corner and the cover slipped? I just have difficulty wrapping my head around the concept, but it seems like the cheapest and most versatile option.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ain't no thang.

I think the answer is no, too. The Beadrider is designed to be slightly slippery so you can easily scoot around on it. It looks like it attaches pretty firmly. Like I said, I haven't used it yet. I got it back in January, and according to reviews it provides enough ventilation that it can be *too* cold.

I guess it's possible the Sweet Cheeks seat could scooch, but if you're cornering hard, you should be planting your weight pretty well on your feet. I think Becktastic has one that she's using on her ride through South America.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560508&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post420046963

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like how that site has a special category for the doohickey.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Happy trail is the best.
Also their Corbin seat is $$$ but I love it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Since this is the Klr thread, my main riding buddy traded a Tiger 800 for this and is riding it from Ohio to Baja and back right now. It's a 2013, bone stock when he got it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Your main riding buddy is a smart dude who makes good decisions. Is he documenting his journey anywhere?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

according to reviews it provides enough ventilation that it can be *too* cold.

Yeah it can be too cool. I use mine when it's well above 80, if that's any indication.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Your main riding buddy is a smart dude who makes good decisions. Is he documenting his journey anywhere?

Kind of. We have a face book page you can check out if you'd like. It's called Dual Sport Delinquents. He's been writing and posting pics a few times a day. He just had a day and a half down in Albuquerque New Mexico due to a worn out chain and sprockets. They must have gone quick because we put some good prep in and they looks fine to me. Not new but not hooked and no tight spots in the chain. He should be off in the morning. If you do check it out we add a ton of pics there, usually around 50 or 60 a day, ten or so at a time. We've been figuring out our GoPro cameras and plan on doing some stuff with that starting at the March Moto Madness in Tennessee.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kenny powerzzz posted:

Since this is the Klr thread, my main riding buddy traded a Tiger 800 for this and is riding it from Ohio to Baja and back right now. It's a 2013, bone stock when he got it.

Whoah--that sounds like a great trip! I've actually been looking long and hard at riding through the Southwest and Baja Peninsula once I get some smaller trips under my belt. You know how long your buddy is planning for the whole trip?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
2 weeks or so. But we're lucky enough to be able to take whatever time it takes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Dunno if you'd be able to speak for this, but what all has he done to prep his bike for such a long ride? Just curious since I'm looking at getting some front fork braces, crash bars, and a few other things.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Dunno if you'd be able to speak for this, but what all has he done to prep his bike for such a long ride? Just curious since I'm looking at getting some front fork braces, crash bars, and a few other things.

He put a whole custom suspension setup on the bike. I'm not sure where he got it but it is rated for his weight with gear, and riding style. Doohickey mod along with greasing the swing arm and every point that had factory grease originally. I guess they were pretty stingy with the lube at Kawasaki. He built a custom rack to attach those KTM panniers. Wired a 12v lead for heated gear and a separate one for GPS and a 12v USB for phone/gadget charging. He added a clock (by clock I mean digital wristwatch) a compass and a thermometer. Cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain. He added larger pegs. The rest really was just packing appropriately and making sure he had the tools that he would most likely need. We are both in the same industry and pretty much get from November until late April off so motorcycle travel is not too hard to schedule in. Myself I've had 5 or 6 bikes since my re-entry about 2 years ago and a KLR or similar bike is next. I'd like to trade my sv650 in on a used KTM 950 but I'd have to pretty lucky to find those circumstances where I can easily find a new or newish KLR at a dealer and add a few grand to own it. 37 horsepower per cylinder baby!
Edit- Oh and oil changes and a fancy oil filter deal that deletes the stock filter? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks Kenny! I always feel like there's just something more I should be doing with the bike, but between being a newbie rider and lacking anyone I know who rides, it's extremely helpful to get that kind of perspective.

This may not be the best thread to ask, but I'm trying to find some gravel wilderness/fire roads to ride on and I'm not having any luck. Everything I see listed in State Parks and whatnot prohibits motorized vehicles on listed trails. Is there some kind of resource for finding trails to ride a dual sport on, or am I searching under the wrong terms altogether? Should I just ride around a park and look out for unmarked service roads?

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

OSU_Matthew posted:

This may not be the best thread to ask, but I'm trying to find some gravel wilderness/fire roads to ride on and I'm not having any luck. Everything I see listed in State Parks and whatnot prohibits motorized vehicles on listed trails. Is there some kind of resource for finding trails to ride a dual sport on, or am I searching under the wrong terms altogether? Should I just ride around a park and look out for unmarked service roads?

Where do you live? When I lived in Michigan, there were a ton of snowmobile trails that turned into dirt roads after the snow melted. There may be snowmobile, jeep, or ATV clubs that have trail maps. Try your state's DNR or DOT, they may have something. How about any forests that aren't part of a state forest etc? Look as if you were looking for a place to cook meth or build a hunting cabin. Maybe in hilly places that just have farms, or near rivers and lakes that aren't full of vacation homes. I was blessed by living in the middle of nowhere, if you're near a big city, it may be difficult to find something good.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I think he's in central Ohio. Matt I would see if you can find any local or semi local forums for dual sports or atvs. I'm not sure how far you are from the Hocking hills area but I've heard they have good riding. I would think somewhere around Zanesville, Lancaster or Coshocton would have something.
Edited for tmi.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 12, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Where do you live? When I lived in Michigan, there were a ton of snowmobile trails that turned into dirt roads after the snow melted. There may be snowmobile, jeep, or ATV clubs that have trail maps. Try your state's DNR or DOT, they may have something. How about any forests that aren't part of a state forest etc? Look as if you were looking for a place to cook meth or build a hunting cabin. Maybe in hilly places that just have farms, or near rivers and lakes that aren't full of vacation homes. I was blessed by living in the middle of nowhere, if you're near a big city, it may be difficult to find something good.

Probably would have been helpful to clarify that in the first place... I'm in central Ohio. I've been following the ADV forums Ohio thread and it looks like the best thing is to go out on a group ride next time one is posted. This weekend I'm going to check out some of the state parks near me and see if I can find any good trails. That's a great idea to check snowmobile and atv trails. It hadn't occurred to me to check DOT maps for unpaved roads either--thanks!

I need to quit hooning around the woods near the boat club since I'm pretty sure the geezers walking their dogs called the cops last time.

Thankfully when they showed up I was on my way out anyways :dance:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Here's a KLR with the ultimate farkle, a sidecar, for sale: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4389098715.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How best to convince my SO that I should empty a good chunk of our savings and fly+ride?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I was tempted by a Ural a while back. 2 wheel drive would rock! I'm waiting till the 2007 get cheaper.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I hear tell that the 2014 Urals are leaps and bounds better than the earlier ones. I really want to get a sidecar rig for the winters up here -- the slush that accumulates on the roads is a little too slick for my liking.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I hear tell that the 2014 Urals are leaps and bounds better than the earlier ones. I really want to get a sidecar rig for the winters up here -- the slush that accumulates on the roads is a little too slick for my liking.

my main thing is that I totally hosed my left leg in an bike accident 2 years go, and don't want to support a bike with it. Also, the WIFU didn't feel comfortable on the back, so a side car seems like a good idea. The 2014s can run an 70 mph, which is fast enough for me with a side car, as far as I'm concerned.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SpannerX posted:

my main thing is that I totally hosed my left leg in an bike accident 2 years go, and don't want to support a bike with it. Also, the WIFU didn't feel comfortable on the back, so a side car seems like a good idea. The 2014s can run an 70 mph, which is fast enough for me with a side car, as far as I'm concerned.

Are you me?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Last time I checked... no? I don't know any more. Do yo speak with a strange accent when drunk?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slightly, but it's more a conscious struggle against slurring. I broke my left leg crashing my KLR back in June of '11. I had figured out how to strap a cane to the KLR that November though, so I guess I'm not worried about holding it up.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

I could have got titanium if I was awake, I guess. They went with chrome because I was riding my P200E when I got cut off.

But all that is titanium.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I never got any of that sweet external hardware, just an IM nail down my tibia and a plate at the very bottom of my fibula. I think x-ray pictures disappeared into the ether when I changed phones.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
They could't operate on me until the swelling went down, or it wouldn't have healed, so they had to put the fixator on.

Anyway, the WIFU supports something that is more comfortable for her, and I can use it to get groceries.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I need a sidecar in my life right now... I can't even imagine what a blast that would be too zoom around in a tiny sidecar at highway speeds...

Best part being I would never wind up underneath my bike ever again!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I wouldn't go that far. They don't turn right very well and they can pitch you right and forward if you stop too hard.

But yes, I want a sidecar for winter and trail riding so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I just want one for my dog.

• Locked thread