Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus Christ

48 Syrian Civilians Massacred During Claire Danes' Emmy Award Acceptance Speech

The rest of the article is just as dark as that headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

muscles like this? posted:

Jesus Christ

48 Syrian Civilians Massacred During Claire Danes' Emmy Award Acceptance Speech

The rest of the article is just as dark as that headline.

Is it even satire if it's most likely completely true?

Shimrra Jamaane has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Sep 25, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
On the subject of Syria, this from 2 years ago:

Army Calls For Increased Body Armor For Troops In Syria

:tinfoil:

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012
The Onion just leaked the new cover to the Kanye West Sex Tape:

Edit: oops wait how did I mix up The Soup and The Onion? Facebook :argh:

iamathousandapples has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Sep 25, 2012

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I feel bad for not knowing whether Garuentee is a reference or a genuine typo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Newly Unemployed Woman Enjoys Equal Pay For First Time In Career

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
i hope i haven't posted this before, but I can read this every few days.
I side with the dog personally.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/hug-me-vs-no-hug-me,11562/

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Huffington Post has a list of times that famous people have been fooled by The Onion.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
BREAKING: Friend Who Just Got Motorcycle Already Dead

Really simple but I laughed a lot.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Here's the kicker. It's not true.

Unemployment benefits are based on a percentage of income. So she's still getting less money than her unemployed male former coworkers. :smith:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

Here's the kicker. It's not true.

Unemployment benefits are based on a percentage of income. So she's still getting less money than her unemployed male former coworkers. :smith:
That's hosed up. Someone should do something about that.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

There's a maximum amount you can receive on unemployment, though. If they both made enough to qualify for the maximum, they'd get the same amount. His salary still could have been more than hers.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mad_Lion posted:

There's a maximum amount you can receive on unemployment, though. If they both made enough to qualify for the maximum, they'd get the same amount. His salary still could have been more than hers.

This is true. Also she could have made better investments with her consultant wealth and earned better dividends than her dumb e trade coworkers.

So really it's her fault.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The final line was some sort of morbid cherry on top.

At press time, Pete's younger brother, who inherited the bike, has also already died.

:krad:

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's hosed up. Someone should do something about that.

I know just the guy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

"With a charismatic, self-assured guy like Pete pulling the strings, we might even see a female elected president one of these days," said Nathan Roth, an analyst at the Cato Institute. "Finally, the feminist movement has a face that commands respect."

Flawless.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to world:I am the Nuclear Weapon you have been looking for

It's short, but brilliant.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Florida To Experiment With New 600-Lever Voting Machines

I like absurd humor.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I like the Big Red Button in the end.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I love reading through a section that I've never paid attention to before, like TV Listings:

quote:

Emergency Room Law Firm
ABC
10:00 p.m. EDT/9:00 p.m. CDT

On-call resident Dana St. John has to break away from her cross-examination to perform emergency pediatric open-heart surgery, while senior partner Cort Peck finds himself caught in a steamy love triangle with the dangerously sexy opposing counsel Brianne Rowe and his fellow ER attending Rachel McCray.

quote:

What If They Had A Beard?
History
8:00 p.m. EDT/7:00 p.m. CDT

The lives of Robert F. Kennedy, Winston Churchill, and Secretariat are reimagined.

quote:

Bugs In Your Body
Discovery
8:30 p.m. EDT/7:30 p.m. CDT

A panel of self-reputed scientists explains that you can scratch and scratch but the insects are still deep inside of you and will be forever.

quote:

Spelling Bees
Game Show
8:00 p.m. EDT/7:00 p.m. CDT

The popular Japanese game show makes its U.S. debut as contestants compete to spell wordswhile trapped in a chamber full of angry yellow jackets.
EDIT: :xd:

quote:

Operation Repo
truTV
10:00 p.m. EST/9:00 p.m. CST

The team faces a paradox when it's sent to repossess the cameras and lighting equipment from truTV's own offices after the cable network defaults on yet another production loan.

Lysidas has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Sep 27, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

George W Bush returns to america after 4 years in the himalayas.

I like this one but I'd have preferred if they'd just ended it with him justifying the Iraq war. As if, even with the gift of transcendent knowledge, that was still objectively the right idea.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
D.C. Residents Can Remember Exactly Who They Were Murdering When Nationals Clinched First Ever Playoff Berth

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Iranian news agency duped by Onion story on Obama poll

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

You do, of course, realize that this is going to end very, very badly.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Hilarious! The screen grab:

They even added a Tehran dateline to it before copying the original story word-for-word. And now The Onion has added this to the original:

"For more on this story: Please visit our Iranian subsidiary organization, Fars."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

How long do we have before they stumble on the Porkalicious Toon Jihad article?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
:smith: Tragic Accident Kills Aspiring Living Person

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brother Jonathan posted:

Hilarious! The screen grab:

They even added a Tehran dateline to it before copying the original story word-for-word. And now The Onion has added this to the original:

"For more on this story: Please visit our Iranian subsidiary organization, Fars."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gallup-poll-rural-whites-prefer-ahmadinejad-to-oba,29677/
They didn't copy it word for word. They deleted the part I bolded:

quote:

CHARLESTON, WV—According to the results of a Gallup poll released Monday, the overwhelming majority of rural white Americans said they would rather vote for Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than U.S. president Barack Obama. “I like him better,” said West Virginia resident Dale Swiderski, who, along with 77 percent of rural Caucasian voters, confirmed he would much rather go to a baseball game or have a beer with Ahmadinejad, a man who has repeatedly denied the Holocaust and has had numerous political prisoners executed, than spend time with Obama. “He takes national defense seriously, and he’d never let some gay protesters tell him how to run his country like Obama does.” According to the same Gallup poll, 60 percent of rural whites said they at least respected that Ahmadinejad doesn’t try to hide the fact that he’s Muslim.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Sometimes on Literally Unbelievable I think that people are just reacting to the headline and didn't bother to read it. But the fact that that story was edited proves that the person who posted it on the news site actually read the article and didn't spot the satire!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You must remember that satirical humor is entirely based on societal context.

Whomever put that together for the Iranian news network has no way of knowing that rural Americans dislike Obama, but not that much, which is why it is funny to us, but undetectable as satire to someone who does not have knowledge of the American political climate.

Literally Unbelievable is a depressing read for me, because it shows how many people have their heads up their asses on many important issues.

Content:

Netanyahu Feeling Like Trip To US To Start World War III Went Pretty Well

Another short but bleak piece.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Also on the Iranian blunder, CNN has the story, which includes a quote from the editor of The Onion:

quote:

Without breaking from its farce, Onion Editor Will Tracy wrote in an e-mail that Fars is a subsidiary and has been "our Middle Eastern bureau since the mid 1980s, when the Onion's publisher, T. Herman Zweibel, founded Fars with the government approval of the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khomeini.

"The Onion freely shares content with Fars and commends the journalists at Iran's Finest News Source on their superb reportage," Tracy wrote in his statement.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

This really hit me hard. drat the Onion and their bleak humor.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
New weather report; this time focusing on New York City.

I saw that shift back into happy, smiling weatherman coming, but it still made me laugh.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
They also replaced "have a beer" with simply "have a drink".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Quiznos Sandwich Maker Worked Way Up From Mail Room

This is a spot on parody, and the last line just really seals the deal.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Mitt Romney Frantically Running Around Ohio Smiling And Waving

quote:

CANTON, OH—As part of an effort to cut into President Obama’s lead in the crucial swing state of Ohio, Mitt Romney reportedly ran at full speed Monday around the entire state screaming “Hello!” at the top of his lungs while smiling and waving indiscriminately. “Hello, Ohio! How ya doing? Hi! How is everybody? I’m Mitt Romney!” the breathless, sweat-drenched candidate spat out randomly as he tore across the state without pause, furiously kissing babies and tossing them backwards over his shoulder in a mad dash that has now taken him through 30 of Ohio’s 88 counties. “The beautiful state of Ohio! Go Buckeyes! Jobs! Ohio! Hello! I’m Mitt Romney!” At press time, Romney had reportedly dived through the plate-glass front window of a North Canton bar, scrambled to his feet, wolfed down a large plate of pancakes, waved to restaurant patrons for five seconds, furiously stammered out a few words about the economy, stumbled out through the front door, and sprinted in the direction of Youngstown.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Highlights Of The DNC

I liked this one, typical Onion being dark:

quote:

“In Memoriam” montage of all the people President Obama has had killed in drone strikes

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I love Point/Counterpoint:

My Dad Is A Army Guy vs. I Am A Army Guy

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
Biden Implores Obama To 'Rub One Out' Before Debate

'Don't Want Pussy On The Mind Out There,' Reports Vice President

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

utada posted:

Biden Implores Obama To 'Rub One Out' Before Debate

'Don't Want Pussy On The Mind Out There,' Reports Vice President

They missed what would've been a nice callback in the last line.