Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Those scary stories illustrations were so terrifying as a child and awesome now. My nephew told me he had one of the books and I saw it had the new illustrations and I took the book away from him and told him to find an old copy.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Was that from the same tsunami that wrecked Fukushima?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I once found Stephen Gammell's publicity address and wrote him a letter about how he scared the poo poo out of me and a generation and how that's awesome as gently caress, and sent the dustjacket of my Scary Stories book. He autographed it :c00l:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheDon01 posted:

Was that from the same tsunami that wrecked Fukushima?

Yeah.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Soo uhh did yall hear about this?

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/687722848379506688

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Del Toro starts a lot of projects. :(

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AGirlWonder posted:

Del Toro starts a lot of projects. :(

I just want him to get his At The Mountains of Madness movie made. If this is what he does in the meantime, so be it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

I just want him to get his At The Mountains of Madness movie made. If this is what he does in the meantime, so be it.

He almost had funding for it with Tom Cruise set to star, but the studio demanded a pg-13 rating and he just didn't think it could be properly done.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Ron Perlman as Harold the Scarecrow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zeroisanumber posted:

He almost had funding for it with Tom Cruise set to star, but the studio demanded a pg-13 rating and he just didn't think it could be properly done.

That sucks.
Cruise is certifiably insane but he acts his pants off. He does intense very' very well.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Nuebot posted:

gently caress that poo poo :argh: I grew up in a heavily wooded area and that loving tailypo poo poo was a common camp-fire spook story and it's probably the first story to ever scare the poo poo out of me.

I've never heard of the Tailypo. My fear in the northwoods has always been the Wendigo.

When it's cold and dark, the snow is deep, and the animals are asleep, the Wendigo will come for you. The Wendigo always comes when it's cold.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Internet Kraken posted:

I think when I was in gradeschool one of our required readings was a story about a girl who goes to live with some creepy relative that is implied to be like, almost a skeleton or something. Said skeleton keeps not so subtly talking about how its going to rip off her skin and eat it. I don't think the story was actually scary, but it was weird. Weird because I had no idea why this of all things was our required reading.

Pretty sure that's the aptly named Skeleton Man. It had some pretty cool native american lore stuff involved. I was actually pretty creeped out by it but i can't explain exactly why. I think part of it was i definitely had kind of separation anxiety as a kid, so I could relate to the fear of losing your parents and being stuck with some creepy-rear end old dude.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Somfin posted:

I think he said it was pointless since Prometheus was made and it was basically At the Mountains of Madness IN SPACE!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mostlygray posted:

I've never heard of the Tailypo. My fear in the northwoods has always been the Wendigo.

When it's cold and dark, the snow is deep, and the animals are asleep, the Wendigo will come for you. The Wendigo always comes when it's cold.

Goddamn loving Wendigo.

Kids from up north hear about that rear end in a top hat a dozen times before they're 10-years old. I'm 37 and every time I go out into the woods at night when it's very, very cold I feel that crawling fear in the back of my head.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Play Until Dawn.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I like the fact that the Wendigo is basically a couple of life lessons rolled together with a horror story.

Don't be a greedy rear end in a top hat.
Don't eat other people.
If you're caught in a snowstorm don't let fear control you.
Running around when you're snow blind will get you killed.
Just hunker down and wait it out.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
It also contains the important life lesson that wendigos are 100% real and the howling of cannibal spirits is only imperfectly kept in check by the thin veneer of civilized society.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

7c Nickel posted:

I like the fact that the Wendigo is basically a couple of life lessons rolled together with a horror story.

Don't be a greedy rear end in a top hat.
Don't eat other people.
If you're caught in a snowstorm don't let fear control you.
Running around when you're snow blind will get you killed.
Just hunker down and wait it out.

and also:
If there is a hard winter/famine don't eat the bodies of those who already starved to death. Instead kill yourself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo#Wendigo_psychosis

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mostlygray posted:

I first heard about wendigos from Pet Sematary :( depending on where you were though, sometimes the tailypo thing got mixed in with the wendigo stuff. The tailypo poo poo I heard was a hunter in the woods got stuck there during a blizzard and starving, desperately searching for food his dogs managed to chase down a strange creature and tear its tail off. So the man shared what little meat it could provide with the dogs and went to sleep. During the night he heard scratching at the cabin door and a voice calling out to him, demanding he return its tail. Terrified he sent out his hounds to chase off whatever was out there and tried to sleep. In the morning he found one dog dead and gutted outside the cabin, no sign of the others and scratches in the wooden door. This would repeat for a few nights, demands to return the tail with scratching and dead dogs in the morning. On the final night the door finally gave in and the creature busts in shouting at the guy to return its tail before gutting him as well :effort:. I've heard a ton of different variations of it since growing up but the whole dog murder one seems to be most popular in the area I grew up at least.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone is failing that lab assignment.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Slimy, yet satisfying.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Somfin posted:

Assuming that screenplay that was on the Internet a few years ago was real, then oh God, please no. That was just painfully bad.

Also Prometheus is basically At the Mountains of Madness in space.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

I know that's not a gif. I can see that it's not a gif.

But gently caress me if I don't keep expecting Mickey's head to turn my way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Roro posted:

I know that's not a gif. I can see that it's not a gif.

But gently caress me if I don't keep expecting Mickey's head to turn my way.

I'm more concerned about the ostrich wearing the kimono.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Das Boo posted:

I'm more concerned about the ostrich wearing the kimono.

It's called fashion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Roro posted:

It's called fashion.

It's called hideous. :colbert:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It's an Emu or a Rhea. :spergin:

joat mon has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Feb 10, 2016

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.

Is that from that apartment in Paris that was left untouched since the 20's? I think I read she had an ostrich/emu in a dress like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It is. There was a big gallery on Imgur recently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

It's an Emu or a Rhea. :spergin:

You beat me but yeah, ostriches only have two toes, and only the inner toe has a claw.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I figured it was probably an emu from the stature, but felt referring to it as an ostrich in a kimono would read funnier.

Ya :spergin:s.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I did an image search for "baby beaver" (don't be gross) and I found mostly stuff like this.

Dawww!

But right in the middle of the 1st page was this.

I just don't know.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
As a kid we had one of those Reader's Digest Mystery books, and it had a bit about The Faces of Belmez which had photographs that really freaked me out, I'd dare myself to look at them and then slam the book shut. Just look at them!

They were TRAPPED SOULS

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

As a kid we had one of those Reader's Digest Mystery books, and it had a bit about The Faces of Belmez which had photographs that really freaked me out, I'd dare myself to look at them and then slam the book shut. Just look at them!

They were TRAPPED SOULS

I was obsessed with that book, and those pictures used to terrify the living poo poo out of me. I would do the same thing you would with getting myself worked up to look at them and shutting the book fast. Eventually I just bookmarked the page so I'd know to skip over it if I wasn't prepared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Rondette posted:

They were TRAPPED SOULS

I used to be so scared of those pics, but they just look silly now.