Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Trigger warning:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/09/slammed-ferrari-348-japan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Worse than any shock image I can recall.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Terrible Robot posted:

Worse than any shock image I can recall.

Agreed. After reading the URL I'd have been happier if it was a goatse redirect.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JFC that guy needs to have a war crime committed on his rear end

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My favorite part:

quote:

Ginpei-san had no interest in newer Ferraris – to him they’ve just lost too much of their driving purity to an overabundance electronic driver aids.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

My favorite part:

Yeah, me too. For someone who cares about driving purity, he sure doesn't seem concerned with suspension functionality. Which is fine, it's his car, but it's a strange combination of viewpoints.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

it's a strange combination of viewpoints.

Welcome to Japan.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wow. He really did a whole lot of work to ruin that car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That came across my Instagram feed and I immediately thought "oh no" and thought of this thread. Poor car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Aesthetically I think it is hard to really hate. The red with the gold/chrome lip wheels are a good looking combo and if anyone was going to stancebro a Ferrari then I would trust the Japanese to do it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
It's too low for me, but the fender/paint work is on point.

It's just a car. :angel:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh wow, an idiot hosed up a car. Huh.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Why is it dipping more on the driver's side?:

Also, the lack of shadow between fender and tire is insane -- makes it look like a photoshop.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kimbo305 posted:

Why is it dipping more on the driver's side?:

Also, the lack of shadow between fender and tire is insane -- makes it look like a photoshop.

The road is graded and it's almost enough to make the body scrape gross.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Aesthetically I think it is hard to really hate. The red with the gold/chrome lip wheels are a good looking combo and if anyone was going to stancebro a Ferrari then I would trust the Japanese to do it.

Plus, Japan is about the only place on earth with pavement smooth enough you'd be able to drive it. In much of the US, you wouldn't make it 500 feet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You could put those wheels on a red 348 without having -12 degrees of camber and the car rubbing on the ground and it would look really nice and maintain the "driving purity." But I guess you won't get your car on speedhunters that way.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
But where's the shark nose, external oil cooler, and 10 foot pikachu-tail exhaust?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Speedhunters' name gives me an idea. We need a programme like hunting-supported animal reserves in Africa. If you want make stupid mods to a rare/enthusiast car, you have to pay a "ruining fee" to do so, and you'll be assigned a car that's otherwise past saving anyway, the money being used to carry out restoration or functional modifications on other examples.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speaking of aesthetics ruining driving, I think these front wheel spacers are making the front end a little muddier than it used to be. I could be wrong, but just feels like sensations from the front tires aren't as crisp as they used to be.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The main thing changing is the scrub radius. So the center of the steering axis inclination goes through a different point in relation to the contact patch. Usually it will be somewhere near the center. Moving the contact patch out will give more positive scrub and mostly result in firmer steering and more feedback from bumps in the road because you are giving the tire more leverage over the suspension and steering parts. That extra leverage means the outside front will toe out a little more due to deflection in bushings and such.

So that could definitely result in a bit more "mushiness," especially if the steering rack mounts and stuff aren't in perfect shape.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 26, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

The main thing changing is the scrub radius. So the center of the steering axis inclination goes through a different point in relation to the contact patch. Usually it will be somewhere near the center. Moving the contact patch out will give more positive scrub and mostly result in firmer steering and more feedback from bumps in the road because you are giving the tire more leverage over the suspension and steering parts. That extra leverage means the outside front will toe out a little more due to deflection in bushings and such.

So that could definitely result in a bit more "mushiness," especially if the steering rack mounts and stuff aren't in perfect shape.
Thank you.

It really winds me up how many people (especially 4x4 guys) don't understand that spacing/offset is far more about there it puts the intersection of the suspension geometry witht he contact patch than "hurrr, if I make it stick out another inch, it won't rub any more, so it's better".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Thank you.

It really winds me up how many people (especially 4x4 guys) don't understand that spacing/offset is far more about there it puts the intersection of the suspension geometry witht he contact patch than "hurrr, if I make it stick out another inch, it won't rub any more, so it's better".

But when you're running 8psi at 5mph in low, it's all contact patch. And solid axles have pretty limited suspension geometry.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Steering live axles still have kingpin incination and castor angle, and a suspension lift and/or wheels and tyre swap can definitely affect their effective intersection with the contact patch.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

jamal posted:

This is a drat good explanation jamal, well done putting it in easily understandable terms!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

jamal posted:

My favorite part:

Well, that part is true. Even if his suspension choice is questionable

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Well, that part is true.

There's two things that happened together:
- massive gains in car performance. A 488 has 660hp and about 100lbs more in weight over the 348.
- the ability for electronics to monitor and adjust traction and stability (on top of more mundane stuff like good engine control in all conditions)

You could drive a 488 around any of the routes I do around here at a comfortably faster pace than in the 348, without triggering any of the electronic stuff at all.
If that drive is not engaging, I don't think you can blame it on the electronics. What isn't analog? Is it that the excellent suspension and modern interior separate you more from the road? Is the DBW throttle somehow not direct enough?

I didn't have the Viper for long, but even on the smoothest, dryest roads, I didn't feel like I could get it near its limits responsibly. The once or twice I managed to get stability control to kick off in the Z06, my first thought was that I was way overdriving my ability.

To say a car isn't fun because you feel like you're so short of wringing it out is a completely reasonable position.
To say that it is less pure of a driving experience seems more like bench racing, outside of of anyone who isn't going to the track once or twice a quarter.
Chris Harris can hang a multi-second drift in a supercar while commenting to the camera about the dynamics flaws it has, whether mechanical or electronically induced. I can't do that, so I don't feel qualified to say that the new cars deliver a driving experience that isn't pure.

The guy could have just said he thinks new Ferraris look weird.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just because I can't hit the full grip potential of my S2000 on public roads without endangering myself doesn't mean that it isn't engaging to drive. I drive the cars at work and they are boring as hell, even if they are faster and to some people more practical and comfortable. They are 100% less of a driving experience than what older cars are, even if you aren't racing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nodoze posted:

They are 100% less of a driving experience than what older cars are, even if you aren't racing
I don't know where the engagingness would leak out from on a new car. If a car has good steering and control feel, good suspension, strong brakes and power, what's missing?

There's something really cool about blipping a gated shifter that you can't get when you're on a dual clutch, but is the driving experience less pure because the car is missing an element? You could argue it's even more pure.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Electric steering for one. Nissan/Infiniti have even gone DBW, no? Over damped, noise reduction... The list continues. Everything is getting, well, numb.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Blah

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 28, 2016

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

everdave posted:

In the 90s I was lucky enough to drive everything. I don't know how I didn't die. The Viper was a brutal sledgehammer and I think I would have died if I didn't have so much wheel time with everything non supercar. However the zr1 I was able to do ungodly things illegal sideways things that would have killed me in the viper. I still want the viper but reality. But I also loved pegging 5 speedy Altimas with the primitive HUDs and don't mention the 3000gts and Zs and long story short these low mile $25k early Vipers have me seriously considering...anyways I have no point to this I have never driven Italian supercars but the viper was a different beast all together.

Are you on prescription drugs?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Octopus Magic posted:

Are you on prescription drugs?

Sleep deprivation! Ha baby was up all night. Anyways I used to deliver cars and it was fun. Blah

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Electric steering for one. Nissan/Infiniti have even gone DBW, no? Over damped, noise reduction...

Yeah, that would be a huge killer. The 488 is still holding onto hydraulic power assist.

One thing that has really changed is tire shape and size. The 488 that's roughly the same weight has 20" wheels with 305/30s in the back. Unsuspended weight does take out road feel, though there's obviously benefits, especially in brake size.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Electric assist power steering seems fine on my Mazda 3.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Midnight joyride tonight. Was hitting all the green lights, having a blast, when I realized I was going a bit fast in the most backwoods section, where a deer could jump over the guardrail at any moment. I slowed down and rounded the turn to see a doe frozen 30ft off the road. My heart was in my mouth the whole time, but it didn't bolt. Hopefully the exhaust gave it plenty of warning.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Loud pipes save lives!! :hurr:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I got lazy and took the car to inspection without figuring out why the sprayers weren't working. It's really near me, I got the Charger inspected there, and one of the guys working there had a Brabus-tuned Mercedes, so I was hoping I could slide by on an enthusiasts' code of honor.

Pulled up, saw someone new. He motions for me to pull into the bay. I turn off the car and make to get out.
"What year is this?"
"91"
"91? ok, just stay in the car." Massachusetts is one of those states where pre-OBD cars don't need to pass even a sniffer test.

"Turn on the lights. Ok, now run the flashers. Ok... you're all set."
With that, his lackey finished submitting the inspection results to the state's computer system and changed my sticker, and I was $35 poorer.

Oh, driving around, some guy asked about and actually knew the model. Some neckbeardy MIT type driving an old Camry.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some guy on FChat posted this pic of his road trip setup:

Not just any 348:

Notice the rollcage hoop. It's a 348 Challenge. What a hero.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Notice the rollcage hoop. It's a 348 Challenge. What a hero.

the hero we deserve would mount a fiero body kit to it and truly gently caress with the purists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some price point comparisons:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252590811524
348tb -- not sure if that's more or less desirable than the targa.
Repainted doors and bumpers. Carbon front bumper. Hmmmmm.
Hard to tell, but the original paint looks in about the same condition as mine, maybe a little better.
Can tell there's no front spacers.
Kreissieg exhaust, though there was no mention in the description. Sounds pretty drat good
Cream interior -- figure that's gotta be slightly less desirable, though the driver's seat seem slightly cleaner.
56k but completed major service.
Nicer tires.
destickied console
Listed for $49.9k, reserve not met at 43.9

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ferrari-348/
18" wheels, but Speedline, so not junk even if they don't do it for me
some repaint with skirts painted
Hadn't heard of Quantum Racing, but the coilovers seem well made
Tires need to be replaced
No major service done, but <10k km on it
Aftermarket exhaust with mild driving video
No mention of destickied console. Maybe not done, given the low mileage
Winning bid of $38.5k
Figure 5-10k for the major service, and you're in the same ballpark.

I really can't tell how mine will stack up. There's that overspray on the lower lip, but afaict, the rest of the car is original paint and in ok shape, some chips up front.
Neither of these mention any functional issues. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few minor things that didn't make the description.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-ferrari-308-gts-qv/
Overall nice 308 GTS.
105k mi
Partial repaint.
Black, which is nicely understated.
No record on when last major service was done, though the transverse V8 means it's easier to DIY.
Also $38.5k

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-ferrari-testarossa/
29k mi
Recent $15k major service
Looks very good condition to me
Reserve not met at $100k

• Locked thread