Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Naughty Dog is one of a handful of cases where a company becomes a pet developer for a particular console manufacturer, a position that comes with massive risk, but also incredible advantages in terms of resources, access, information, and publisher leeway. Pretty much all the other examples of this approach to development working well come from Nintendo, where there's a lot more done in-house, and there are decades-long professional setups doing this, most prominently HAL Labs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
I don't have much to say about unwinnable bosses, but I did notice this native american statue guy.

Another holdover/reference? to the Last of Us:

I dunno the significance but they sure do love that statue I guess?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

They were brought by a megapublisher, they're owned by Sony.

Sony isn't EA, Ubi, or Activision tho.

for one thing, Sony probably understands the idea of "These guys make games that sells consoles for us"

I mean, poo poo, the number of PS4s we unloaded because of the Last of Us HD re-release was staggering at times (We had two bundles when I still worked at Target. the GTA V one and The Last Of Us. I would always recommend the latter)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Action Shakespeare posted:

I don't have much to say about unwinnable bosses, but I did notice this native american statue guy.

It was likely easy to retexture and reuse. Not to mention it looks pretty natural in the mansion, so yay for clever asset reuse more than anything else.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When you were sneaking in the grass for some reason I was imagining Drake as a pokemon.

I didn't sleep well last night so that may or may not be completely sane... at least probably less than the normal baseline incomplete sanity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
You cut the last seconds of that cutscene, which are the best part...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chip missed it, but around 9:15 in the second video you can hear cars roaring off. In that position you can see the front of the estate, and you can see all the sports cars parked in front speeding away.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Action Shakespeare posted:

More like Naughty Dog has a thing for Tootsie Roll Pops.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Scotland doesn't have nice weather ever sully you liar

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Little_wh0re posted:

Nice for Scotland, anyway. Only half the sheep have died of depression.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bruceski posted:

Nice for Scotland, anyway. Only half the sheep have died of depression.

That's only because the other half was too drunk and missed the cliff they were going to hurl themselves off of.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least they're not going to Wales!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At least they're not going to Wales!

I don't think anyone ever actually goes to Wales. They're just led astray because they accidentally sneeze when they ask for directions

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Mr. Highway posted:

More like Naughty Dog has a thing for Tootsie Roll Pops.

Real missed opportunity not having him point to some kind of star shaped object tbh

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Little_wh0re posted:

Rain is nice :colbert:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thread got me unexected when the 120 something new messages weren't about the Laura Bailey voicing a black woman when Naugty Dog could have hired someone more fitting but Nadine being a scripted fight.

I guess since Drake has to end out the window by the end of it the player could just run away immeditaly when the fight began. Those guns could choke a grizzly

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Thread got me unexected when the 120 something new messages weren't about the Laura Bailey voicing a black woman when Naugty Dog could have hired someone more fitting but Nadine being a scripted fight.

I guess since Drake has to end out the window by the end of it the player could just run away immeditaly when the fight began. Those guns could choke a grizzly
Well the story is that Nadine was originally a White South African, but they changed her to black and liked the look and since Laura was already doing mocap and VAing for it they decided to keep rolling with it.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
There was some concept art in Uncharted 1 that showed some of the possible looks Elena might have had. One of those images looks an awful lot like Nadine, so maybe they re-used the idea.

Edit: My mistake. It was Uncharted 2 and the images were potential looks for Chloe Frazer.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 11, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This reminds me: are all windows in the Uncharted universe made out of sugar glass? Or is Nate's face completely impervious to lacerations at this stage of his life?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
His flesh is just one large human-shaped callus at this point.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

His flesh is just one large human-shaped callus at this point.

Ew.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Can you imagine being covered in so much callous that bullets wouldn't even draw blood

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drake is basically a walking leather handbag at this point. Elena has gotten used to the feeling of sandpaper when they cuddle.

edit: But it seems that won't be a problem anymore pretty soon, considering Drake is about to be single again!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

achillesforever6 posted:

Well the story is that Nadine was originally a White South African, but they changed her to black and liked the look and since Laura was already doing mocap and VAing for it they decided to keep rolling with it.

If Cree Summer can voice a white-skinned Brazilian Princess from a hidden Roman-descended lost civilization (thank you, X-men Legends...), then Laura Bailey can do the opposite. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

From what I remember, they actually hadn't decided at all on the appearance for Nadine when she was cast. It was only after they had already hired their favorite audition that they decided on a black character, and you can't exactly go up to the person you hired and go "Sorry, we really liked you and were about to pay you but we decided that your voice isn't black enough."

For what it's worth, the IMDB voice cast list shows that they hired a rather diverse cast outside the handful of main characters.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Even though its been a few days since I watched the last update but GOD Sully's facial expressions are amazing

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

SorataYuy posted:

If Cree Summer can voice a white-skinned Brazilian Princess from a hidden Roman-descended lost civilization (thank you, X-men Legends...), then Laura Bailey can do the opposite. :colbert:

Don't do this thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Completely unrelated, but I do find it kinda funny how all the treasures are just a bunch of pots and vases save for like two which are a weird snail shell thing that looks like a bugle. And then way later, you just find a katar lying around in the middle of nowhere.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dragonatrix posted:

Completely unrelated, but I do find it kinda funny how all the treasures are just a bunch of pots and vases save for like two which are a weird snail shell thing that looks like a bugle. And then way later, you just find a katar lying around in the middle of nowhere.

That was some guys hidden Katar for a rainy day

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Add me to the pile of people drooling over how good this game looks. Watching the last update I'd freak out over some random little detail every five seconds or so, so my viewing experience was: ohmygosh ocean birds car look at that suit look at that clock fancy-swirly-junk-at-the-bottom-of-pillars ice sculptures statues bricks nadine's guns holy scones look at sully's skiiiiin hooray punch dagger, etc

I like this game a lot so far, and I liked the little fight with Nadine. It was short enough that it felt like it didn't interrupt the flow of the escape sequence, but also gave a little break from the stealth/climbing section. I'm probably also biased cause I think Nadine's pretty cool.

Also, I was supposed to write an assignment this Saturday and instead I watched six and a half hours of Gex.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A really cool thing about this game is the way it compulsively avoids load screens even after simultaneously getting rid of the old games' best way of hiding them, pre-rendered movies. When the game does a scene transition, especially one of those fancy wipes, it has to load both areas at the same time. It's really impressive.

The game looks amazing even without needing to do pre-rendered scenes, too, so it's all win.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's a depressing story about humanity related to that scene

Kotaku posted:

You’ve said in the past that you’ve been influenced by Anita Sarkeesian’s Feminist Frequency videos and the larger conversation about diversity and representation in games. How did that affect Uncharted 4?

Druckmann: When I’m introducing and describing a new character to our lead character concept artist, constantly she will ask, “What if it was a girl?” And I’m like, Oh, I didn’t think about that. Let me think, does that affect or change anything? No? Cool, that’s different. Yeah, let’s do it.

You have some sexist focus testers who were really upset by Nadine beating up Nate. To the point where we had to ask one guy to leave. In his core, it just affected him. He was cursing, “Not you, too, Naughty Dog! Goddammit. This loving bullshit.”

And I was like, Wow, why does that matter?

Edited some spoiler parts but that's the gist of it.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
God I hate people sometimes; wonder how long until things like this become non issues.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JesterOfAmerica posted:

God I hate people sometimes; wonder how long until things like this become non issues.

Never. MRAs/MGTOWs will always be a thing, unfortunately. Because being a macho rear end in a top hat is still preferable to seeing a therapist when you've had a horrible relationship, socially speaking.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

^runs out of Naughty Dog studios screaming what a bunch of goddamn hippies they are after playtesting Drake throwing his soda into the recycling bin*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

*pulls out an id card with Sweet Summer Child written on it* sorry sir, you dropped this a little ways back

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: Wrong thread.

I started watching the LP, when my fiance surprised me by going halfsies on a new PS4. So....I kinda beat the game after watching one episode of the LP.

This is going to be a fun ride, yall.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Tae posted:

Here's a depressing story about humanity related to that scene

This reminds me of something I remember reading about the Saint's Row series, and how they had to remove female police officers from the third game because the testers felt uncomfortable killing them. Like, how can you be so unaware of your sexist viewpoints?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sinners Sandwich posted:

runs out of Naughty Dog studios screaming what a bunch of goddamn hippies they are after playtesting Drake throwing his soda into the recycling bin*

It must have been a nightmare for them to hear Sully say he was a vegan, even in jest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

White Coke posted:

It must have been a nightmare for them to hear Sully say he was a vegan, even in jest.

Imagine the slightly shrill, manic laughter as the punchline drops and wave after wave of sheer relief wash over the sweating bro

• Locked thread