Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love the rock meat.

I just wonder what the "bone" part of it is. Tell us the specific environments to find rock meat, Nintendo! Give us the minutiae on its harvesting and care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If Gorons were silicon based it'd mean they'd produce silicon dioxide when they breathed, so they'd be exhaling toxic sand.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's also worth noting that while they eat nothing but rocks, they specifically don't like the taste of gems. There's a wandering Goron trader who mentions that. It's weird (Weirder than subsisting entirely off comically food-like rocks in the first place), you'd think the perfect complement to a nice gneiss schist casserole would be a sprinkling of ruby dust.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Dareon posted:

It's also worth noting that while they eat nothing but rocks, they specifically don't like the taste of gems. There's a wandering Goron trader who mentions that. It's weird (Weirder than subsisting entirely off comically food-like rocks in the first place), you'd think the perfect complement to a nice gneiss schist casserole would be a sprinkling of ruby dust.
Who would ever eat garbage rocks? You're weird.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the way the Goddess Statues vary in placement and ornamentation from town to town. It's a nice bit of local color.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Glazius posted:

I like the way the Goddess Statues vary in placement and ornamentation from town to town. It's a nice bit of local color.

It's pretty cool. Kakariko has it right in the center, obviously in a place of importance and worship. Gerudo Town has it in a dusty alley near the side entrance.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We finally beat the last of the Divine Beasts. And have enough goofy stuff to do to fill out an alternate part.

This'll probably be the last alt route video, unless there's enough unseen stuff you folks want to see that can fill out another video. Things that will be shown in the upcoming videos: all of the remaining shrines, Tarrey Town, Hestu's gift, and finishing all of the sidequests I've already started. So anything else I haven't shown you want to see, let me know and I'll see if there's enough for one more part. If not, I can at least put it at the start of the final part before Ganon.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
*AHEM*
https://skymall.com/
It's not dead.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think Daruk's Protection is very slightly better than you give it credit for - the biggest thing, really, is that it lets you parry while using a two-hander without putting the weapon away. But I really don't like how they made it control, having it turn on every time you try to block (or lock on to an enemy) is really annoying with the sounds and visual effects, and makes you waste it more often than not. I always keep it turned off in the menu (thank goodness they let you do this) and then enable it on that rare occasion I actually want to use it. It's definitely my least favourite of the champion powers though.

Also, there is a person who claims to have found a way to use it indefinitely, if you have good timing. I think this looks like a bug, honestly, but it's apparently in the game (that said, I have not tested this myself and have no particular intention to, I doubt I have good enough reaction time to pull it off).
[Edit: Spoiler warning, this video contains footage of the final boss.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEYv72bOhHM

re: alternate route, Topaz Earrings are actually a very strange item. You'd expect them to have 20 defence when upgraded to 4-stars, but they end up with 18 for some reason (a unique defence value that no other item has). This makes them strictly worse than the Rubber Helm, although I suppose in theory you might have an aversion to wearing a catfish on your head. (And the Thunder Helm tends to obsolete both of them anyway.)

There's another neat tidbit about the jewellery items. Most of them (but not all, I think the exceptions are the Amber and Opal ones) have a hidden property that gives you a 20% damage boost with Ancient/Guardian weapons (so like the "Ancient Proficiency" set bonus on the Ancient armour, but smaller).

Speaking of the Thunder Helm, since you showed that being allowed in Gerudo Town... there are two other items that are apparently allowed: the Sand Boots, and the Snow Boots. Anything else gets you thrown out.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 15, 2018

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
That video has spoilers in it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Yes, yes it was.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Daruk's Protection can parry the ground.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's a surprising amount of detail from Kass about all those places. Dude takes songs very seriously.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

Wow, that's a surprising amount of detail from Kass about all those places. Dude takes songs very seriously.

It's that or be a good father/husband.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to start cleaning up all of these leftover shrines. Or just fight a ton of Lynels.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The best place to farm Naydra is halfway along Lanayru Promenade. Warp to the shrine behind the waterfall, swim up the waterfall, start heading along the cliff toward Mt. Lanayru until Naydra shows up. It'll swoop through the valley. Best done at nighttime.

It's sad that it's significantly harder to find good access to Naydra than it is Dinraal (Warp to the Tabantha Bridge Stable, run halfway across the bridge) or Farosh (Literally be anywhere in the waterfall area of Lake Floria).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the Goron blood brothers remember you. But there are still no free rides at Gut Check Rock, brother!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Love, money, and sons.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm still not entirely over you giving a Giant Ancient Core to Kilton in the last episode. Such a waste. Those things are a huge pain to get and they're always useful for making Ancient Bows and Ancient Shields (or upgrading Ancient armours to tier four). Oh well.

Fyson never restocking arrows actually isn't the entire story. What seems to happen is that arrows only get restocked in any shops if you have fewer than 50 arrows when midnight passes in the game (I'm not actually sure if it's 50 total across all types, or just 50 regular ones; the behaviour's also changed a bit between updates to the game). At one time, there was a sort of exploit you could do, by going onto either Eventide Island or the DLC1 Master Sword Trials and having your inventory taken away, then letting midnight pass - the game would be tricked into thinking you had no arrows and it'd restock all the shops, then you'd get your inventory back when leaving the area. Then you could buy more arrows. They patched that out, though, it doesn't work any more. I'd thought the arrows not restocking was a bug at first, but given they kept tweaking it it seems to be working the way they want it to.

Grante only offers an item once you've acquired at least part of the set it belongs to, so you can't entirely skip the "scam Mr Creepy out of his boots" quest, Grante won't have them until you've done at least part of it. Also, post-DLC2, he will allow you to repurchase any of the DLC-exclusive items like the Switch shirt (before then, those items' description would warn you that you couldn't get them back if you sold them, but they don't any more), which is pretty nice.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're sword is blowing glue!

wait no sorry, let me try that again

Your sword is glowing blue!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Easy does it, easy does it

Whole lotta shrines and incomplete quests from hereon-out.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

drat it, Skippy. I was perfectly happy not remembering I need Black Diablos horns. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now that Bolson's stepping down as CEO, he can refine his craft as a viral marketer. Who knows what he's going to talk up next?

(It's the Bolson Construction Company. It's always the Bolson Construction Company.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

Now that Bolson's stepping down as CEO, he can refine his craft as a viral marketer. Who knows what he's going to talk up next?

(It's the Bolson Construction Company. It's always the Bolson Construction Company.)

Bolson Destruction Company.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cucco, cucco, who's got the cucco/Roscoe, Roscoe, who's got th- poo poo

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Roscoe, aka Roy Orbinson, was born Lucille Ball. Fun facts.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Do not taunt Happy Fun Orb.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cool, so Minish Cap is your next LP project? :)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I can't shield surf for poo poo. Or wind surf for that matter.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Thorn, that Wind Guide shrine? It doesn't suck.

It blows.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think the intended solution for the "icy river" shrine is to ride on a log, though the way you did it works too (and you can always just swim and tank the damage). Off the top of my head I don't remember if there are always logs already there or if you need to chop down a tree. And, of course, you still have to stay on the drat log.

re: Selmie, you don't even get anything worthwhile for doing well at her minigames. The best prizes she has are the shields you can see on her wall, but you can only win each one at most once (and they always come with no modifiers). It's most notable because one of them is a Kite Shield and there are precious few of them in the game - two others can be found in chests and that's it.

I don't like the Korok leaf either. I think the "logic" of it is something like "if you ignored Newtonian laws and generated a wind out of nowhere, it'd push on the sail in front of you; you generate the wind in the direction you're facing, so the sail will move in that direction". It's unintuitive nonsense and makes even less sense with the balloon platforms.

I'm impressed you got the "two rings" shot off with that bow, it's definitely much easier to do with a long-range bow. Although, amusingly, not necessarily a "sniper" bow (Phrenic/Golden), the zoom-in means you get less freedom of aiming for some reason (the game seems to let you rotate Link's body more when it's not zoomed in to aim).

There's been a fair amount of talk about Hestu's gift being a reference to this thing. Other people seem to think it's a commentary on achievements, or an indication that developer intent was not for players to go after 100% Korok seeds.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I won't say I managed to sail the platforms straight, but I got the idea after a few popped balloons and managed it relatively easily. Or at the very least, with less remembered anger than I heard you spout. I just had to forget how physics actually worked to get it right.

I don't remember what shrines are left! After 120 of the drat things, they sort of blur together.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Why didn't I use bomb arrows in the wind guide shrine?

Why didn't I use bomb arrows in the wind guide shrine?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, we're doing after credits scenes now, huh.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The bomb in the wind guide shrine got picked up and carried, then stasised and launched into the pillar. LIKE A CANNON.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
One kind of shield in this game is super great at surfing with right, the Gerudo ones? I'm sure that would have helped you get a good time

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Tombot posted:

One kind of shield in this game is super great at surfing with right, the Gerudo ones? I'm sure that would have helped you get a good time

I mean considering you do a lot of shield surfing behind the sand seals it would make sense that their shields would be the best at it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tombot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0yxP2K8Ls

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wha? I never would have guessed that the ancient shield was the best at surfing. Shame really, you had one in your inventory and you could have used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The Radiant Shield also behaves like that, and as far as I know it's just as good. (No luck with regular Gerudo shields or the Daybreaker, only that specific one.)

• Locked thread