Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The jump rope is the only frustrating thing so far, because I'm really bad at getting started. I can't believe I only have like 240 moons, this game is so huge.

So far I've just been collecting moons and purple coins until Talkatoo runs out of hints and I've managed to get all the purple coins, but I'm missing like 10 in the Metro Kingdom, hopefully one of the upcoming Moons leads me to them.

I liked the moons that were Riding a motorcycle away from a TRex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TFW you get 89 on volleyball and get distracted by a conversation

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bicyclops posted:

TFW you get 89 on volleyball and get distracted by a conversation

you gotta keep your head in the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

you gotta keep your head in the game

I got it eventually, but let's just say it wasn't the best yet, or the try after that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't know what that feels like since I got volleyball on the second try :smug:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i made a twitter account to post this

https://twitter.com/ANintendoGameCu/status/937513196600135680

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ftr i had no idea what was down there, just saw the icon on the map and jumped down to see what it was

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol that owns

I'm still playing this non-stop. I've gotten all the moons for the cap through cloud kingdoms, i'm on Lost Kingdom now. the koopa races are going to kill me. i want to stomp the gold koopa.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The koopa races were really surprisingly fun to me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty much every koopa race has some clever skip you can do to make the racing trivial.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Pretty much every koopa race has some clever skip you can do to make the racing trivial.

Sometimes the gold koopa is onto you and uses your own clever skips, though! I thought I was so smart when I used a triple jump Cappy dive to skip the whole onion creature maze, but then he did too!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It was backwards for me, I would watch the gold koopa and then restart and own him with his own skips. thanks for doing my homework for me, loser

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
you can easily triple jump + hat hop over the swimming section at the start of the water world race that the gold koopa doesn't even use. owned stupid koopa

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

you can easily triple jump + hat hop over the swimming section at the start of the water world race that the gold koopa doesn't even use. owned stupid koopa

I did a wall jump then threw my hat on the goomba at the top. gently caress racing with the swimming controls

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

yeah, i did that and it owns, but then in the forest kingdom i was like "haha, you never learn, rear end in a top hat, here's another triple jump with hat" but, actually, he did learn, and he took the same shortcut, and it took me a bunch of tries to beat him because i kept missing the ground pound at the end of the long fall or getting hit by an onion.

i just got home and i'm too tired to try the lost kingdom race because it's so fuckin looooong

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it really sucks that we dont get koopa races in the Cloud and Ruined Kingdoms because I love the aesthetics of both but they basically only exist for just the boss battles there

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cloud kingdom is also there so we can make hosed up goomba faces with almost perfect scores and post them to social media.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i didn't learn about the dive->hat jump combo until after beating the main game. that blows the whole loving game wide open

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's mostly only useful as a time saver before the ending. they only expect you to use it for stuff like the koopa races and a few of the chimney levels.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, i did that and it owns, but then in the forest kingdom i was like "haha, you never learn, rear end in a top hat, here's another triple jump with hat" but, actually, he did learn, and he took the same shortcut, and it took me a bunch of tries to beat him because i kept missing the ground pound at the end of the long fall or getting hit by an onion.

i just got home and i'm too tired to try the lost kingdom race because it's so fuckin looooong

You can skip like 70% of it. I was in top five hundred for that one for a little while at least

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The koopa races were really surprisingly fun to me.
if this game gets DLC they really need to add more koopa freerunning routes + ghost data, best part of the postgame imo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gimme a dlc that’s just the entirety of super mario 64 in the odyssey engine. please.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

GameCube posted:

gimme a dlc that’s just the entirety of super mario 64 in the odyssey engine. please.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GameCube posted:

Hint Toad's map is Bob Bomb Battlefield and I want to see the brochures for all of Peach's paintings.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

GameCube posted:

oh ym god

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GameCube posted:

This except SNES A link to the Past with link between worlds engine

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Koopa races really taught me to master the "jump, hat toss, dive onto hat and bounce forward" technique. gently caress beating any of them legit, finding shortcuts is the fun. Even those horrible bounce races are ok with shortcuts. Took me forever to figure out the shortcut on the last one thanks to Nintendo cheating with invisible reset walls.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This except SNES A link to the Past with link between worlds engine

this, except it’s links awakening in the breath of the wild engine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tried the Lost Kingdom koopa race like 30 times tonight and I can't make the jump where you have to jump around the two blocks. I also can't do the insane thing where you do a double jump into hat dive thing three times in a row over the poison to avoid like half of the course by jumping up the tree stumps. You guys are better at Mario than me and I am caremad at the gold koopa.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

I tried the Lost Kingdom koopa race like 30 times tonight and I can't make the jump where you have to jump around the two blocks. I also can't do the insane thing where you do a double jump into hat dive thing three times in a row over the poison to avoid like half of the course by jumping up the tree stumps. You guys are better at Mario than me and I am caremad at the gold koopa.
That one's pretty easy if you just take the normal route. The gold dude seems like he's way ahead but I'm pretty sure he slows down a lot or at the very least doesn't use the jump out and back strategy to skip the exploding blocks. Maybe practice jumping around the blocks in a non-race situation if that's the part that's giving you the most trouble.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i did both the volleyball and the jumprope combined in fewer tries than this lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

getting beaten over and over by a lowly loving koopa is the most alive ive ever felt

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the first time i played Mario Galaxy i was on a ton of opiates recovering from some intense surgery and i was furious with how hard Luigi's Purple Coins was. like i had to try it for a few times, then drag myself to bed and sleep the opiate dreams, on a loop. then a few years later i played the game again and beat it on the second try.

this time i don't have intense pain or drug haze to excuse the fact that a sparkling koopa is clowning on me and i look like the time my arthritic grandma tried to play super mario and kept falling down the first pit.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know if it matters really, but I had a lot more success with the hat dive when I started holding forward on the dive part. Double jump, throw hat, hold forward and dive. Lost Kingdom is when I really got it mastered and figured it out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The hat throw is positioned so that you just hit dive and you'll bounce off of it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GameCube posted:

this, except it’s links awakening in the breath of the wild engine.
i lold but now im thinking about running around the mountains where the wind fish egg is or the big swamp where you need the chain chomp to eat flowers but it's breath of the wild and im shaking

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

imagine how big the egg would be.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the trickiest part of the hat throw for me was realizing you had to hold the y button down or you wouldn’t bounce off the hat. there’s pretty much zero visual feedback to tell you that. whatever i got it now

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I kind of hate that dive and ground pound are the same button when the entire game uses only like 3 of the 10 available buttons but what can you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GameCube posted:

the trickiest part of the hat throw for me was realizing you had to hold the y button down or you wouldn’t bounce off the hat. there’s pretty much zero visual feedback to tell you that. whatever i got it now
They tell you that when you learn the hat jump.

• Locked thread