Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
who is that person and why does he have a patently fake name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lol what, I hope he enjoys 4 and half years on loan to various other City owned teams.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

kcer posted:

who is that person and why does he have a patently fake name

An "American" garbageman

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Maybe he’s heading to that Australian Team that City bought.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Alright, backstory: he's a Norwegian-American who has, to my amazement, 38 caps with the USMNT, mostly from 2013 to 2015; he didn't play in this last round of qualifying. He joined NYCFC in 2015 and went to absolute poo poo, and then got a loan to IFK Göteborg last year

quote:

As part of ESPN FC's MLS Confidential annual anonymous player poll in 2017 which surveyed over 140 of the league's current players, Diskerud was named as "the most overrated player in the league"—receiving 16% of the overall vote.

No loving idea what the deal with this is

E: OK, so it sounds like City Football Group is probably just clearing some cap space for NYCFC. He'll go out on loan soon enough.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 27, 2018

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

E: OK, so it sounds like City Football Group is probably just clearing some cap space for NYCFC. He'll go out on loan soon enough.

lol that City have to carry this garbageman due to MLS rules

also why was this announced by Umbro and not City themselves :thunk:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AS_Monaco/status/957317325040037888
We've talked about this in the Serie A thread, Monaco have paid a minimum of €25m for Pellegri, who is 16 years old.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The kid is freagin 6' 5" (1.96 m), he's a giant

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lmao he can’t make the starting lineup for MLS teams, how did this transfer even happen

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

That mix transfer is something we will look back on in 5-10 years and say, "oh, that was some shady poo poo."

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

NNick posted:

That mix transfer is something we will look back on in 5-10 years and say, "oh, that was some shady poo poo."

Why wait?

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
But city’s owners are just a lovely bunch of generous middle eastern chaps who just want to regenerate eastlands out of the good of their hearts???

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i know, they rule, as-salamu alaykum

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/27/pep-guardiola-manchester-city-80m-player

quote:

“When you are trying to handle four competitions and such a lot of fixtures you either have to be lucky with injuries or have 22 top players to compete,” the City manager said. “And at today’s prices to have 22 top players you need to find – maybe people don’t believe me – money we don’t have. City are not so different from other clubs. There are salaries we cannot pay. There are transfers we cannot afford. That’s why academies are so important because you must find players of your own.”

José Mourinho derided City earlier in the season for spending “striker-type money” on a new set of full-backs, overlooking his own contribution to the inflationary spiral with the fees paid for Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku. At a time when even Liverpool have just spent £75m on a defender, City’s biggest buy is still the £55m capture of Kevin De Bruyne three years ago. “Maybe it will happen in the future but so far we have not spent £100m on one player, or £90m or £80m,” Guardiola pointed out. “We cannot pay that right now, they tell me. That is the truth. Of course, we have spent a lot of money, but only the same as other teams. I can assure you that we are not the only team in the world that spends money. There are many others.”

I'm pretty sure that Manchester City could pay whatever they want, but of course Pep can't just come out and say that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it's incredibly gauche to spend money when you don't need to, only the truly rich understand this

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Gigi Galli posted:

An "American" garbageman

I googled him for a bit and I still don't know what to make of it

advertising I guess

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao @ pep and Manchester city.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

kcer posted:

I googled him for a bit and I still don't know what to make of it

advertising I guess

It's definitely roster shuffling to avoid some sort of rule breaking. Inter loaned some Australian guy last year from the Chinese team that their owner also owns in order to make room for an international player on that team, and with the insane roster rules MLS has I bet this is something similar.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

wrong thread

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's still less dodgy than the Jô transfer

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Repots from Sky Sports and some newspapers up here that Celtic are close to signing Charly Musonda on an 18 month loan from Chelsea. Is he a winger or more of a number ten type? Cause we really need the latter more than the former.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
no one knows OP, certainly not anyone at Chelsea

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Batshuayi does well again to continue to not be picked in the league and Chelsea continue to be linked with anyone tall to get on the end of Dave's crosses.

Was Conte weird like this at previous clubs?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It’s suddenly everywhere that Aubameyang to Arsenal is just about done for €60m.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/957751674289913858

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Ninpo posted:

Batshuayi does well again to continue to not be picked in the league and Chelsea continue to be linked with anyone tall to get on the end of Dave's crosses.

He was constantly bickering with Juve's front office about "not having the players he needs" to compete in Europe, despite getting a steady stream of quality players coming in. And then he quit in a huff a few weeks before the season, allegedly because Juve's ownership wouldn't overpay for Cuadrado when Fiorentina were asking for a poo poo ton of money. And then Allegri took the squad Conte left behind to the CL final that same year, and Juve got Cuadrado for peanuts from Chelsea a year later, lol.

So yeah he can be weird about the squad, and definitely is willing to go to battle against his own ownership/front office, though I can't recall him ever freezing someone out of Juve's side that had been producing when given an opportunity.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Daily Mail reporting that Chelsea are closing in on Giroud since Roma won't accept their offer for Dzeko.

In other news
https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/957793555187224576

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

If Roma sell Dzeko their fans are going to riot. They've been poo poo since Christmas and selling their best striker is not going to go over well.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
if he had serious legs he’d be staying at Manchester

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ninpo posted:

I would prefer to see Conte play batshuayi more but I don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. Batshuayi was poor against Arsenal, average in both legs against Norwich and never really impresses when he comes on as a sub in the league. The potential is definitely there with him, but I think Chelsea need another option right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sturridge on loan to newcastle would be cool and good

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Does Sturridge actually want to play football?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress sake he's going to west brom

https://twitter.com/CaulkinTheTimes...s-live-14214416

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

gently caress sake he's going to west brom

https://twitter.com/CaulkinTheTimes...s-live-14214416

Well sure, he and Pardew can do poo poo dances together

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i wonder if sturridge understands he will be expected to play football at another club

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Big Dan Studge will score tons of goals and do cool dances. :)

But not while wearing a Liverpool kit. :(

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Not sure I see the point in this loan unless it's strictly to be nice to Studge. Leaves Liveropool thin up front for no real benefit.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Not sure I see the point in this loan unless it's strictly to be nice to Studge. Leaves Liveropool thin up front for no real benefit.

I think it gets his wages off of Liverpool's books and increased playing time (if he stays fit) makes it easier for him to sell.

I do think it's writing off Top 4 for this season and makes me worried, but I don't own the club.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I'm sad about that but I'll be less sad in a couple of weeks when he's injured again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Was the rumour he was actually injured with the sad brains all false? Like, not Clarke Carlisle style but I heard he had found god and wasn’t interested in football anymore.

• Locked thread