Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Muir posted:

Nice! I'm loving the OTB Open discs from MVP right now, almost all of them are soft variants of their usual plastics which they never do and are my favorite.

Yeah I picked up a Tempo and liked it so much I got another just in case. Also go the Crave last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Kristin Tattar just hit 1000 rating. Wonder if that’s gonna be the new norm in 5 years for FPO. Love to see it.

:confuoot:

It's neat to see the whole FPO field getting better and better. Congrats to Kristin on leading the ladies to 1000 first.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Went out to an 18 post course for my first game ever on Saturday, and finished +12. Just bought a starter set from Westside and I'm eager to get out there and practice. The videos on the OP are a huge help. Thanks!

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Went out to an 18 post course for my first game ever on Saturday, and finished +12. Just bought a starter set from Westside and I'm eager to get out there and practice. The videos on the OP are a huge help. Thanks!

Shits addictive, glad you got out and tossed some disc!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Welcome to the club! First bit of advice is don't go out and buy a bunch of high speed drivers. The speed on the disc is an arm speed requirement as much as anything else. The Underworld in that starter pack should be as fast as you need until you can't throw it without turning it over.

These are two of my favorite instructional/creator channels:
https://www.youtube.com/@OverthrowDiscGolf

https://www.youtube.com/@dgspindoctor

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Bandire posted:

Welcome to the club! First bit of advice is don't go out and buy a bunch of high speed drivers. The speed on the disc is an arm speed requirement as much as anything else. The Underworld in that starter pack should be as fast as you need until you can't throw it without turning it over.

These are two of my favorite instructional/creator channels:
https://www.youtube.com/@OverthrowDiscGolf

https://www.youtube.com/@dgspindoctor

to monkey on this, I would argue you only need 4 discs. It's easy to get into the, 'buy more plastic' mindset. or I need a disc to make this shape mentality of tossing. it's coolif you go hog wild, I did. and its cool to try stuff, and some specialty discs might make a case as you grow. just know, it's not necessary.

that three pack you have will last you hundreds/thousdands of rounds.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

SonOfGhostDad posted:

That's an awesome score for a first game! I stopped keeping score and lost a disc my first round.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Speaking of buying discs, I played catch with a friend’s Aerobie Superdisc recently and can’t recommend getting one enough. It’s cheap and flies on the exact angle that you throw it on, so it was super helpful in dialing in angles. I’ve been throwing way flatter ever since that little round of catch and breaking out of my big hyzer crutch.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
I got the five pack bundle. The distance on my drives was the worst aspect of my game, so I'm looking forward to practicing drives with the Underworld and Queen while I get my form down. I expect most of my throws in actual games will be with the Underworld midrange and the Crown putter. The most complicated aspect to me seems to be the run-up. I'm right-handed, but starting a run-up on my right foot feels wrong somehow.

Edit: The UDisc app is a must. You might edit the OP to reflect the new pricing, though; it's $30 annually with a two week trial period.

SonOfGhostDad fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 22, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

The most complicated aspect to me seems to be the run-up. I'm right-handed, but starting a run-up on my right foot feels wrong somehow.

If you’re talking about doing a crossover or X step, you can do 3 step (right, crossover, throw step) or a 4 step (left, right, crossover, throw) which will switch your starting foot.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
It's difficult for me to visualize the steps for a cross-step run-up, but the videos Bandire posted really help here. I think years of marching band are working against me in this regard.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

You don’t need to start with an x step. It may be harder to develop good form starting with one, although everyone wants to.

This dude crushes from standstill and has a good video on how to throw them

https://youtu.be/4pfZevwBd-w

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Brain Curry posted:

You don’t need to start with an x step. It may be harder to develop good form starting with one, although everyone wants to.

This dude crushes from standstill and has a good video on how to throw them

https://youtu.be/4pfZevwBd-w

I got a lot out of watching his videos, but trying to execute a standstill like that seems harder to me than a 3 step. Like the 3 step gives you timing cues. I find it really hard to do standstills with a proper follow through/pressure release. I guess the point is to start honing in on whichever mechanics click with you. One thing will start making sense, and then another.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Momentum aside, the X step doesn’t really make you throw farther or better, it’s just a method of getting your body in the position that makes you throw farther and better. You can get in that position without it, but you might as well learn now. It’s not that hard, a few focused practice sessions should have anyone doing a serviceable x step.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Seconding working from a standstill when getting started. I've only been playing a couple years, and I also had a ton of trouble putting everything together at first. Went back to standstill only early on when I was trying to learn the non-footwork mechanics and it helped me a good bit. Its also helpful to learn good standstill form because that's another tool in the bag for distance control or when you have a bad lie.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Whatever anyone ends up doing, watch Albert Tamm’s slow rear end drive approach so you don’t end up like James Conrad. Sure, he’s built like a trebuchet, but stripped down techniques like his illustrate what really is and isn’t necessary. (also why I like standstills!). This throw is also 200ft shorter than what he has thrown in comp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIrWglI4WQU

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Thanks, everyone! I just got my set in today. I'm going to try to get some good practice in and work on my form. I plan on getting the standing backhand and forehand down first, then get the run-up down. It seems like it's the kind of thing that's useful for a drive.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Finished +7 on a nine hole course just now. First time using the Westside set I got. Both my King and Queen drivers landed edge-first on an asphalt bike path and got chunks taken out of them. This is why I can't have nice things.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Finished +7 on a nine hole course just now. First time using the Westside set I got. Both my King and Queen drivers landed edge-first on an asphalt bike path and got chunks taken out of them. This is why I can't have nice things.

That just makes them better, to the point some pros do this deliberately over and over to season in a disc.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

That just makes them better, to the point some pros do this deliberately over and over to season in a disc.

honest, I prefer used over new because they are already a little beat up. A disc breaks in and then sticks in a sweet spot for a while. could be psychological, but the ol' gut feeling is that there is something to it. I think some even get better tactile feel with use. My experience with big z plastic is that it gets more tactile/flexible. it feels a little better in my hand.

I don't know about you, but I've found how much and how quick something breaks in & changes flight pattern to be speed/depth of disc related.

for me with fresh plastic, my deep putters don't really break in. The drivers tend to shift flight pattern subtly and often until it gets to the sweet spot. Might just be me getting more use to them too.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I bought a Roadrunner used and it was more overstable than any Firebird I’ve owned.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Blurb3947 posted:

I bought a Roadrunner used and it was more overstable than any Firebird I’ve owned.

thats innova for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I'm gonna finally get to play Delaveaga tomorrow afternoon. Our office is near Santa Cruz and though I work remotely most of the time, I'm going in tomorrow for an afternoon meeting my boss put on my calendar entitled "Definitely Important Serious Conference for Good Office Logistic Fundamentals".