Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

Yes please I’m going to have to turn off Avs at work again otherwise

Actually I’ll do it tonight if no one else will. Quote this post with your best suggestion for Mr F’s new avatar

Same av but uncensored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jose Valasquez posted:

Regardless of whatever re-reg's problem is, "Mafia had an IK that really didn't do anything but ended up abusing their position of power" is not a good argument for why we need another IK from the Mafia community. There's really not much for an IK to do, just list a few people in the OP of every game who are good resources to talk to if someone feels uncomfortable with anything at all and recommend escalation to SA mods if there's a problem that isn't adequately resolved by that. No need for someone to have buttons for any of that

I don’t really disagree, I’m of the opinion personally that we don’t need an IK. But mods and admins seem to think it’s a good idea and maybe I am misremembering but I thought there were multiple people itt who said they thought it was good, so I think probably better to defer to them IMO

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Snooze Cruise posted:

Can we move away from saying lunch too? Like I don't really know if we can pat ourselves on the back for moving away from using lynch if we are just changing one letter and saying the same thing but coded.

I feel 1000% the same way.

“Lunch” feels like you’re trying to sneakily get away with saying a bad word. I would rather just not invoke the concept at all in my escapist dumb forum lying game.

I also prefer not to have “cops” (cops are awful and I don’t want to pretend to be one in my dumb forum lying game) and I always call them “seers” instead but that hasn’t seemed to catch on here.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mr. F! posted:

Shut up loser

Mr. F! posted:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and then keep that breath inside and shut up

Ah, the old mafia I heard about, in the flesh. :nallears:

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

CapitalistPig posted:

As someone who has been active in mafia on these forums for at least 10 years now and is still active as of 2023.

This is a bunch of bologna.

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

chaoslord posted:

A good post

If there's an actual show of support from the active community to get an IK in place, then go with it. But right now it's mostly people who don't play Mafia anymore asking for an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore.

It shows a genuine disconnect from the state of SA Mafia in tyool 2023. If everyone feels like we absolutely have to have an IK there's no reason it should be somebody who isn't as active as... frankly any number of other people who would make a great fit. wologar, Maerlyn, Shell, HCT, Cloaca, Obama, Sandwolf, Yami, gently caress it give the goddamn star to b-minus1 or something but make the choice relevant to the current community.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chaoslord posted:

Yes please I’m going to have to turn off Avs at work again otherwise

Actually I’ll do it tonight if no one else will. Quote this post with your best suggestion for Mr F’s new avatar

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh that was suppose to be gif let me try again

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Snooze Cruise posted:

has mafia adopted the art form of "kayfabe" while i wasn't paying attention to this thread or is re-reg just like this?

Just like what? I don't think it's odd at all for someone in the new crowd to feel a little weirded out by the avalanche of old players, and feel unsure about it. And I totally agree with his point that mafia has been doing fine the whole time.

t a s t e posted:

my second reeeee-reg

Dude

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I should say up front I don't think there should be a mafia IK. If the TG forum needs an IK, pick one that works for the forum. If there is a desire to install a bunch of IK's make a new thread and have it open to everyone in TG to discuss and consider.

Otherwise, though, I'd much rather have a big list of people in the mafia community (old, new, whatever) that people can be referred to, preferably a list that constantly changes. The bigger the better, as a community shouldn't be defined by one, or even a few, select people. And if someone doesn't feel comfortable discussing the issues within the community, then the next step should be to someone NOT involved with mafia, like Leper and Anti. I mostly know leper from bitching about San Francisco but they have always seemed cool. I know Anti from Thunderdome and I can't think of a better person as an outside resource to the community.

Honestly, if there is a Mafia IK I think it should be someone who is relatively new to the scene, not someone with long ties to the people that might be causing the problems. The need for escalation outside of the community is partly to ensure you aren't dealing with inherent power structures and existing relationships and biases (or even just perceived biases).

So, yeah, I don't really care if TG installs an IK, but I really don't like the idea of some perceived position of power or responsibility that is directly related to the SA Mafia Community.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Mafia :420:High:420: Council

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

shwinnebego posted:

I feel 1000% the same way.

“Lunch” feels like you’re trying to sneakily get away with saying a bad word. I would rather just not invoke the concept at all in my escapist dumb forum lying game.

I also prefer not to have “cops” (cops are awful and I don’t want to pretend to be one in my dumb forum lying game) and I always call them “seers” instead but that hasn’t seemed to catch on here.

this is the first place I've ever seen the role called a "cop," I also know it as a "seer" from werewolf/witch hunt and even back in the day when I played mafia it was usually "private eye" or more often just "PI" or "eye", or occasionally "investigator"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Launching this again, since we are all here, now. Independently of who gets IKed, or if anyone gets IKed, maybe it'd be good for a general list of "contact these people in case of a problem" to get out of all this. We can get a mix of older and newer people in there (which seems to be the main issue here, half the thread does not know the other half!) link it in thread and the Discords, and maybe tell the mods to keep an eye for comms from those people specifically, regarding Mafia issues.

That avoids power comcentrations, games with buttons, and lets everyone have someone they may trust somewhere. So maybe?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The group of veteran players who have largely not played at all recently to come get a slam in on a currently active player is the cliques you old folks have been railing against. Come on.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

wologar posted:

Ah, the old mafia I heard about, in the flesh. :nallears:

:boom:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t think Mafia needs an IK Leperflesh and it seems the very idea is causing more issues than before. We’ll just bother you instead!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

a dedicated mafia ik is obviously unecessary though the game room could probably benefit from a general one

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

The group of veteran players who have largely not played at all recently to come get a slam in on a currently active player is the cliques you old folks have been railing against. Come on.

I think it’s funny people are so mad

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Voodoofly posted:

Otherwise, though, I'd much rather have a big list of people in the mafia community (old, new, whatever) that people can be referred to, preferably a list that constantly changes. The bigger the better, as a community shouldn't be defined by one, or even a few, select people.

Shellception posted:

Launching this again, since we are all here, now. Independently of who gets IKed, or if anyone gets IKed, maybe it'd be good for a general list of "contact these people in case of a problem" to get out of all this. We can get a mix of older and newer people in there (which seems to be the main issue here, half the thread does not know the other half!) link it in thread and the Discords, and maybe tell the mods to keep an eye for comms from those people specifically, regarding Mafia issues.

That avoids power comcentrations, games with buttons, and lets everyone have someone they may trust somewhere. So maybe?

These both seem like excellent suggestions.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

“It’s not cool for someone to feel uncomfortable here”

“Hey this guy said something an old group of players dislikes, get him!!”

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

wologar posted:

Ecco may or may not be the best person for the job. I don't know her directly, so I can't be sure either way.

However, it weirds me out that she has been so adamant on getting it.

super scummy of her, I agree

##vote ecco

I'm even using votefinder code to really rub it in

anyway I think ecco's great and sufficiently distant from the games as well as kind enough as a person to serve as a minor authority to talk to, assuming the possibility of further interpersonal trouble that needs to be reported but not made public yet (and also to do like 2-3 mechanical things a year or whatever)

but if she's not to someone's choice it might be nice to have literally any other suggestions with reasoning for them instead of a whole thing about how she doesn't represent the REAL community

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I never said either of those things

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

t a s t e posted:

a dedicated mafia ik is obviously unecessary though the game room could probably benefit from a general one

i'm a mafia baby but a long time tg lurker and I'd agree with this

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

t a s t e posted:

I never said either of those things

Prove it, tell me everything you’ve ever said in your life

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sandwolf posted:

it was bad posting, it would get laugh at any other thread on these forums

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mr. F! posted:

I think it’s funny people are so mad

It's not.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

there's no real reason to have intergenerational beef anyway, this is a public forum not a social club and neither lapsed veterans nor current players are any better because of their status

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Sandwolf posted:

Yep. "Boy, am I glad cliques are gone and we're free from their bullshit. Now let's spread cliquity bs here."

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works, and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?

There is no actual need for a mafia IK we have largely been a self-policing community. I'm not sure who keeps PMing all of you about it. Last time we had an IK he started probating people in the games he was playing in and it was very weird (I'm not counting Podima).

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
For what it's worth, what little I have experienced of Ecco makes it seem like she's a lovely, very creative and talented person; the flavor she wrote for the one game of hers I've been able to partake of was great, and she handled what was an honestly poo poo situation (D2 game throw) with aplomb.

But (A) I agree with the others in saying I don't think we need an IK right now, and (B) if we did I'd rather it be someone who is actually active and visible in the current community.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

But mods and admins seem to think it’s a good idea
It seems like they were mostly thinking we needed an IK to do things that we don't really need an IK for

quote:

and maybe I am misremembering but I thought there were multiple people itt who said they thought it was good, so I think probably better to defer to them IMO
I didn't get to where I am in Mafia by rereading threads, but I'm curious what people think we need someone with buttons for.

My Second Re-Reg posted:

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

If there's an actual show of support from the active community to get an IK in place, then go with it. But right now it's mostly people who don't play Mafia anymore asking for an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore.

It shows a genuine disconnect from the state of SA Mafia in tyool 2023. If everyone feels like we absolutely have to have an IK there's no reason it should be somebody who isn't as active as... frankly any number of other people who would make a great fit. wologar, Maerlyn, Shell, HCT, Cloaca, Obama, Sandwolf, Yami, gently caress it give the goddamn star to b-minus1 or something but make the choice relevant to the current community.
I know you've only been here for like 5 minutes, but you may not realize that people's involvement with Mafia games ebbs and flows and it doesn't mean they aren't part of the broader Mafia community. Maybe consider that the people who have been actively involved in the community for more than a decade have opinions worth listening to even if they aren't actively playing or modding games at this moment. New players are worth listening too as well! It's just a community that likes playing a party game on a dead forum every now and again, not skull and bones

I myself like to come in every now and then to dazzle the young bucks with my prowess as scum before once again slipping away to the comforts of shitposting on Discord until I emerge again like a cicada

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I think “mags coming out of nowhere to be a butt” is very different from “the old clique is lording over folks”, but ironically him showing up and being a butt that could be handed a sixer by an IK proves the value somewhat :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
in all seriousness I think it's a valuable point that the best appointee would be someone who's reasonably active at present and recognizable to people new and old (within reasonable limits)

I'd nominate bif as an extremely good person who's been playing for a while (if not since, like, prehistory) but I think he'd reject it out of hand

and there's merit to the idea of a hypothetical authority being someone not as involved in playing

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

wologar posted:

It's not.

It is though. This is a very small thing. The IK will literally never do anything. It won’t affect ongoing games at all.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i have no clue what an “IK” is and I absolutely refuse to find out, sounds dumb. Anyway what were u all talking about?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

chaoslord posted:

I think “mags coming out of nowhere to be a butt” is very different from “the old clique is lording over folks”, but ironically him showing up and being a butt that could be handed a sixer by an IK proves the value somewhat :v:

Lol yeah I’m just trying to prove how important it is to have an IK

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

putting my money on grandicap

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mr. F! posted:

It is though. This is a very small thing. The IK will literally never do anything. It won’t affect ongoing games at all.

Oh, the IK is whatever. I meant your attitude.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

shwinnebego posted:

i have no clue what an “IK” is and I absolutely refuse to find out, sounds dumb. Anyway what were u all talking about?

Who the panthers will draft with the #1 pick

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

shwinnebego posted:

ohh that is a good point and one i never thought of, i like that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

wologar posted:

Oh, the IK is whatever. I meant your attitude.

I don’t know if you can read tone, but everyone needs to relax and think about the way they post.