Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

Nothing was quite so rewarding as correctly guessing the distance between your basilisk and a trukk heaped full of boyz.

I like the chips idea, but want to preserve as much of 40k as I could, otherwise it just makes sense to insist on playing epic with people, which I may also just do.

Epic seems like the better solution tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

If you wanted to play 40k at 10mm, I think the best option honestly would be to multibase everything and then use wound counters instead of pulling dead models off the board.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

EdsTeioh posted:

If you wanted to play 40k at 10mm, I think the best option honestly would be to multibase everything and then use wound counters instead of pulling dead models off the board.

This.

Loose 15s was a pain in the rear end when that was the hot thing, loose 6s seems like a complete nightmare. Wound counters and 'change' bases with 1-4 dudes that you swap out at the end of a round so you don't have a bunch of l'il dice or tokens cluttering things up would be the way the I would handle it if that was a project I totally hadn't considered in the past. Nope, never thought about it...

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Robert Facepalmer posted:

This.

Loose 15s was a pain in the rear end when that was the hot thing, loose 6s seems like a complete nightmare. Wound counters and 'change' bases with 1-4 dudes that you swap out at the end of a round so you don't have a bunch of l'il dice or tokens cluttering things up would be the way the I would handle it if that was a project I totally hadn't considered in the past. Nope, never thought about it...

I guess doing like 2 5 man multibases would work for 1 squad? I guess?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

That is what I was thinking. Use those washed and have the 5man base also be a mild magnet.

I will be pushing epic for sure, and am really well set up for it. However I cannot overstate how sparsely populated the area is. It is a decently sized farming island without a city. My options are going to be extremely limited. The big urban center I'm moving into on that island has less than 10k people. My goal will be to ultimately move people towards epic, and this might be a good stepping stone. It would also be far more portable than a 6x4 table and 28mm stuff.

I know 10mm or 15mm would be better, but I'm specifically trying not to buy a new scale. If I was going to start collecting a new scale I'd just play 40k at 28mm.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 11, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

EdsTeioh posted:

For 10s, that is probably good. I could see doing Orks like in 6s or 7s (on a touch bigger base) with the Nob and however many else to make 30 on another base. Or just stay with 5s if you wanted to use them for EPIC as well.

I also wonder how many people you will actually find on Farmville Island. The most BFE places I have lived have had some pretty intense gaming groups, probably because there was gently caress all else to do in the off season. Like a Hams version of the farmers with project cars or kitplanes in some rando shed.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Related to this: is the new AT 10mm? 8mm?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Related to this: is the new AT 10mm? 8mm?

8mm I believe

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
What a lovely game.

Gothmog is annoying as gently caress though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Teasing Genestealers vs Terminators for the last Kill Team ITD box? Or maybe just the 10th edition starter? The white head on the terminator points away from Blood Angels, so maybe Kill Team after all?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/12/echoes-from-the-warp/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Muir posted:

Teasing Genestealers vs Terminators for the last Kill Team ITD box? Or maybe just the 10th edition starter? The white head on the terminator points away from Blood Angels, so maybe Kill Team after all?

Someone elsewhere pointed out it's got the 40k branding, so it's probably not going to be kill team. The white helmet indicates ultramarines first company.

It could be a 10th edition teaser, but it's kind of early considering 10th wouldn't drop until probably July.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Update, I got put in touch with a GW gaming "group" where I'm moving to. It is two people, they seem excited to have a third and will play whatever. They'll teach me 40k and I'll teach them Epic, done.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Muir posted:

Whatever it is, I hope it's got new Genestealers. The current molds are dreadful and need more for my Space Hulk project.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Whatever it is, I hope it's got new Genestealers. The current molds are dreadful and need more for my Space Hulk project.

I get the post avatar combination, and now I see your space hulk as being made from galactic plumbing supplies. I hope so, at least.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

What a lovely game.

Gothmog is annoying as gently caress though.

Sharing this with my friends that I want to play MESBG with, on my table with HirstArts stuff too.

Looks great! A bit jealous.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Slow going but making some progress...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

Sharing this with my friends that I want to play MESBG with, on my table with HirstArts stuff too.

Looks great! A bit jealous.

I've been lucky enough to be able to play fairly regularly. My friend and I have built up around 3 armies a piece, though I tend to main Rohan just because it has more unit variety than either of my elf forces. Eventually I'm going to get my Moria horde onto the table!

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

I've just gone a bit mad and bought Man O War and Mighty Empires off ebay. I lived and breathed Fantasy when Man O War was released, but never played it or owned a copy, always liked the look of it though, and you didn't need 8 billion models for a game.

Mighty Empires was a bit before my time and I'm not entirely certain what it's all about, but will honestly just have fun opening the box and reading the rules I reckon.

They turned up!

I got Man O War out of the box on the weekend and had a bit of a go, I've never played it before and spent a lot of the time going hmmm, and ????, and ignored the magic and wind rules for now. I suspect laminated cards may be the way forward instead of fiddling round with counters. The counters look nice though.

I never really understood Mighty Empires the first time round, it was slightly before my time but used to have the odd article in WD back then. The little models look nice though, and everything is there. The rulebook looks baffling. I'm still not sure if you can play it as an actual self-contained game instead of as a sort of WHFB campaign system.

Fantastic bit of art on the cover though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I came across this guy's YouTube channel lately and while the early videos are rough around the edges, he seems genuine and enthusiastic. In any case, he did a video on Mighty Empires that might be of interest if you want a clearer picture of exactly what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsPNiGkQLY

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gambrinus posted:

They turned up!

I got Man O War out of the box on the weekend and had a bit of a go, I've never played it before and spent a lot of the time going hmmm, and ????, and ignored the magic and wind rules for now. I suspect laminated cards may be the way forward instead of fiddling round with counters. The counters look nice though.

I never really understood Mighty Empires the first time round, it was slightly before my time but used to have the odd article in WD back then. The little models look nice though, and everything is there. The rulebook looks baffling. I'm still not sure if you can play it as an actual self-contained game instead of as a sort of WHFB campaign system.

Fantastic bit of art on the cover though.
ME is a campaign upkeep system really - you can play a standalone game, but it never really worked well as one.

Man o War should use the wind - it's an important aspect of the game. Also, yes, laminated cards are ideal. You can get cards that fit in card protectors from universal head. The real cards take up a lot of space and are easily moved, dislodging the counters.

And make sure your squadrons have easily identified individual ships! It's real easy to lose track of which ship has taken damage.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a bunch of the old metal Ork Nobz. Is it possible to make an all Nob Kill Team with them?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Not a Nob kill team, per se, but you could still probably just run em as orks or kommandos. Just find one thats the biggest to be the leader.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Somewhere in the early 2000s I got a copy of Mighty Empires at a yard sale and spent most of a summer playing extremely long games with a friend. It worked enough as a stand alone game, and to two kids with no real wargame experience it certainly engaged us, though it's one of those things I don't know would hold up much on revisiting even as a nostalgia trip.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I always wanted the Planetary Empires hexmap they did for 40k back in 5th-ish. I'm a sucker for hexmaps for some reason and I really like the idea of using one as the basis for a Crusade campaign

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I came across this guy's YouTube channel lately and while the early videos are rough around the edges, he seems genuine and enthusiastic. In any case, he did a video on Mighty Empires that might be of interest if you want a clearer picture of exactly what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPsPNiGkQLY

I watched that the other night! I've got a remarkably low tolerance for YouTubers in general but he seems ok.

I'll have another crack at Manowar on the weekend. Put some masts on the ships and paint the desk blue, or something.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Professor Shark posted:

I have a bunch of the old metal Ork Nobz. Is it possible to make an all Nob Kill Team with them?

Easily. Get the Kommando list and you should be able to figure out which model represents which profile. You may need/want a grot and a squig to have maximum flexibility in list building.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I counted and I have ten models, including one Stormboy Nob who I guess I’ll have represent the leader. I haven’t counted the Choppa/Pistol situation, but it looks like I’d have to put a couple Shootas in. Goon hammer suggested only doing a couple for a regular Boyz Killteam.

I figure I can convert one boy into a Rokkit guy, but going by Reddit I’ll be one model short. I guess I could either buy a couple grots/ one more Nob to fill it out?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rejoice, Heretics, 40k RPG book bundle from Humble.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer40k-darkheresy-blackcrusade-onlywar-cubicle7games-books

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I counted and I have ten models, including one Stormboy Nob who I guess I’ll have represent the leader. I haven’t counted the Choppa/Pistol situation, but it looks like I’d have to put a couple Shootas in. Goon hammer suggested only doing a couple for a regular Boyz Killteam.

I figure I can convert one boy into a Rokkit guy, but going by Reddit I’ll be one model short. I guess I could either buy a couple grots/ one more Nob to fill it out?

The grot is really good fwiw

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The grot is my MVP when I play ork kommandos

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looks like I’ll have to do some mods to some shoot as to turn them into pistols and/or either buy some arms or use trash to make bionic arms. This could be a project, but I hate having these guys sitting in a box.

Metal grots go for as much as nobz on eBay, I’ll have to start some planning when I’m done with Intercessor Kill Team 2.0

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Great deal. Those and the WFRP books are insanely good for fluff and background material.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I supplied two 2nd ed 40k armies and had a fun, but very chaotic game of Chaos vs Genestealer cult.

Genestealers had 6 Psykers, I had none. at least 3 died to Daemonic attack.

Genestealers got a first turn charge in due to displacement, Booby traps card and overwatch meant I only lost one squad to them.

Later on they,d repeat the attempt with the Gate power, but were repelled with lots of overwatch.

The genestealer cult only lost to very bad dice rolls and luck, there was twice I could have been crushed.

The Leman was destroyed with an insane roll from a Dreadnought Heavy plasma gun, only to be returned via the reinforcement strategy card.

Right at the end of the game, the Magus and Patriarch had both died, the entire army passed their leadership test and went into a frenzy, those Hybrids that could reach marines tore them to pieces, but the damage was done and they retreated.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Kharnifex posted:

I supplied two 2nd ed 40k armies and had a fun, but very chaotic game of Chaos vs Genestealer cult.

Genestealers got a first turn charge in due to displacement, Booby traps card and overwatch meant I only lost one squad to them.

Later on they,d repeat the attempt with the Gate power, but were repelled with lots of overwatch.

The genestealer cult only lost to very bad dice rolls and luck, there was twice I could have been crushed.

The Leman was destroyed with an insane roll from a Dreadnought Heavy plasma gun, only to be returned via the reinforcement strategy card.

Right at the end of the game, the Magus and Patriarch had both died, the entire army passed their leadership test and went into a frenzy, those Hybrids that could reach marines tore them to pieces, but the damage was done and they retreated.

Whoa, just casually dropping this thing of absolute beauty

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Well. That's frigging amazing.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 17, 2023

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Looks like I’ll have to do some mods to some shoot as to turn them into pistols and/or either buy some arms or use trash to make bionic arms. This could be a project, but I hate having these guys sitting in a box.

Metal grots go for as much as nobz on eBay, I’ll have to start some planning when I’m done with Intercessor Kill Team 2.0

Can you take a pic of two of what minis you are working with?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can you take a pic of two of what minis you are working with?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Column 1, Nob 5 is actually a misprint, but an easy fix to turn it into a pistol.

Column 2, Nob 1 is going to become a Rokkit Guy after some creative conversions

The very last one is a Powerklaw, which won’t work if these are Boyz stand-ins.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Squibsy posted:

Whoa, just casually dropping this thing of absolute beauty

Cheers peeps, it fun to see a couple of months worth of painting slowly come together

Currently im working on a big 6*4 foot table cover in two pieces to allow us to do a giant game of space crusade using necro floor tiles and like multiple kill team and necromunda walls etc

Will probably use 2nd Ed rules with zone mortalis style add one like +1 str to template and blast markers, no big vehicles, jump packs being riskier etc

And only use enemy models from space crusade like the chaos marines, androids , dreads(veterans maybe?) and orks and grots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The models from the Ork Kommando Killteam

Kommando Nob - Defining feature, powerklaw. Even if you use a different loadout, only having one model with a klaw will point out who is the Nob.
Kommando Slasha Boy - Defining feature, paired hand weapons. Use left and right melee weapon arms, easy.
Kommando Breacha Boy - Defining feature, weird battering ram. Frankly this one is tough to figure out. I might just give one guy a different coloured helmet and if you use a Breacha Boy, just say that is him.
Kommando Snipa Boy - Defining feature, long gun. Take any of your double barreled shootas and lengthen them out with something and if you want, toss a huge goofy scope on the top.
Kommando Rokkit Boy - Defining feature, rokkits. Use your storm boy. Give him a pistol arm and hand weapon. Don't worry, the huge rokkit on his back will be a dead giveaway that he's your Rokkit Boy.
Kommando Dakka Boy - Defining feature, more dakka. As many of your models already have double barrel shootas, I'd add random gubbins to make one have a fancier gun, or just give the gun a really flashy and obvious paint job.
Kommando Comms Boy - Defining feature, a comm pack. Find any backpack at all, make it look even a tiny bit orky and either stick on a small boss pole or a wire antenna and that is your Comms Boy
Kommando Burna Boy - Defining feature, a burna weapon. Use the Kombi-scorcher and declare that is your Burna Boy.
Kommando Boy - Defining feature, none. These are your standard troopers. And if you need more boys and are not using a specific Specialist Boy, say that the unused Specialist Boy, is just a regular Kommando Boy for that game.
Kommando Grot - Defining feature, its a grot. Find a grot or goblin mini to use.
Bomb Squig - Defining feature, its a squig. Find a squig or squig proxy.

Also, read this: https://www.goonhammer.com/kill-team-tactics-ork-kommandos/