Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
In the game I've been running we have east-west wraparound and a large interconnected single cave system (not a donut). The game put like 8 entrances in the south in the territory of me and one of my neighbors and about 3 in the center towards the south, and zero in the north half of the map. It also put 7 out of the 19 throne points in the caves :psyduck:.

It's basically been me, my neighbor, and Agartha fighting for control of the giant cave system that we have all to ourselves. Unsurprisingly we've all been the strongest nations for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I like how dominions doesn’t feature boats in any capacity aside from as an abstract transport stat despite there being several nautical themed nations

Wonder if anyone’s tried jury rigging a boat in a mod as an underwater unit permanently floating at the highest elevation

Could you imagine the insanity if Dom 7 merges CoE-style naval mechanics with Dominions army mechanics? Gloriously stupid naval battles. :allears:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

patch today

quote:

New dire portent messages

is this the first time they've added new global enchantment messages since dom3?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

patch today

is this the first time they've added new global enchantment messages since dom3?

Oh good I can have all the dread hit me at once instead of hunting for the new global in the globals screen.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

code:
Throne of Creation turmoil scale +3 -> +1
Finally, the buff that the throne of creation desperately needed!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Libluini posted:

Could you imagine the insanity if Dom 7 merges CoE-style naval mechanics with Dominions army mechanics? Gloriously stupid naval battles. :allears:

Dragon pretenders that automatically drown themselves
Rivers become a battlefield feature, with fire/ice drowning & slows depending on depth, unit size, strength + DRN rolls.
The boats. It’s beautiful beyond words. And if it is a little buggy and you get one of those errors where a patch hits an ongoing game and the battle reports/replays disagree and a pretender dies… :discourse:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

LordSloth posted:

Rivers become a battlefield feature

you get one of those errors where a patch hits an ongoing game and the battle reports/replays disagree and a pretender dies… :discourse:

Bridge battles like in the original Rome Total War would be hilarious. A longer choke point than a gate that can be bypassed by swimmers. Probably horrendously buggy and difficult to script for.

I just got burned by thr replay/report disconnect :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I’ve been badly burned by the battle discrepancy thing twice in my current multiplayer game. Extremely frustrating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The main source of battle discrepency I've run into is animate tree, I've had fights that I got wiped on show a wipe on the other side depending on where the trees pop up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my kinda ape posted:

I’ve been badly burned by the battle discrepancy thing twice in my current multiplayer game. Extremely frustrating.

the last time this happened to me, the replay showed my pretender dying, and then I was sad

until I saw my pretender still sitting there, and looked at the actual report and noticed I had actually won that battle

but yeah, it sucks when it goes the other way

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

The main source of battle discrepency I've run into is animate tree, I've had fights that I got wiped on show a wipe on the other side depending on where the trees pop up.

it's weird that it happens so often now though, it happened but was extremely rare when I played dom3 / 4. I understand why it would happen after a patch, but how can it be so difficult for the displayed battles to have the correct seed?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I mean... Dom 3/4 didn't have Animate Tree, or battlefield objects in general

Also I would not use Dom 3 as an example of battles not desyncing

Dom 6 is way less stable than Dom 5 for sure though, but again: trees

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dom4 was also the game that needed an emergency patch when we players started crashing our multiplayer games because of summon too many skeletons, the archfiend of stability

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Libluini posted:

Dom4 was also the game that needed an emergency patch when we players started crashing our multiplayer games because of summon too many skeletons, the archfiend of stability

that rules

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Imagine 4 sonshis climbing up the riverbank

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In a way, the fact that battles offer wildly different results because the seed changed or whatever and all the dice rolls are slightly different (I think that's what happens?) indicates how surprisingly heavy weights the luck factor in the game (for a strategy game, I mean)

Dominions is poker with extra steps 😂😂

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question on workshops mods. I noticed there haven't been any massive mod packs in the workshop so far. Are the authors just keeping them on the dominions forums or is there a technical reason there hasn't been too much movement on the Steam front?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The biggest mod packs (DE, Hellenika) took multiple years to accumulate all their parts. The change from 5 -> 6 is also bigger for modding than the change from 4 -> 5.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, all the modders are reworking things. Too many large scale changes in both the gameplay and the under the hood implementation of a bunch of different mechanics to do it quickly, they make it a lot of work.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, there's stuff like every cavalryman needs to get redone as riding a mount, and because there's a new glamor path all priests are suddenly blood mages instead, and suddenly the list of vanilla IDs is a lot longer so all the IDs have to move, and that's just the changes to make it playable to say nothing of the balance changes. The mod forum I used for Dom5 mods is a ghost town.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There's a modding discord that most of that crew moved to, but a lot of the discussions are also on the Steam page itself.

https://discord.com/invite/TzpK7s8x

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 21, 2024

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for all the info! Glad to hear it's just modding difficulties in general. I was psyched doms would have workshop support but was worried there was some tech issues that made it only partially useful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On Steam, yet again, someone came up with that one actually good idea for preventing chain gemburning that was futily suggested to the devs multiple times so far. I'm hoping that maybe this time they'll pay attention to it, but I doubt it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2511500/discussions/0/4327475236491967217/

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the proposal is good imo as long as blood slaves are not included

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This update introduces the Grand Communion. It is a new type of ritual communion that can be used to bolster the strength of global enchantments as well as the dispelling of global enchantments. Grand communions can only be used by priest mages of a few select nations, e.g. Pythium and Ur. There are also a lot of bug fixes and some other new features in this update. E.g. it is now possible to view unit details such as magic gems and afflictions by pressing tab in the battle unit overview (F1).

General
Grand Communion (new type of communion for global rituals and dispels)
3 new magic items: The Quintessence Chest and 2 new dragon scale mails
Press Tab to show details in battle unit overview
Press K in F1 screen to show only blood sacrificers
Graphs for other players are no longer set to zero when someone wins a throne victory
Fix for too many global dispel messages
Fix fluctuating HP on shape changers with blood magic
Aurora Borealis can now also be cast during darkness
Spell AI more careful not be berserk casters
Print morale loss from dark skies in stats
Flying commander on stay behind troops could fail to attack in assassinations
Chopped off monster weapon affliction was removed after battle, fixed
More monsters can get chopped off natural weapon affliction
Projection can no longer use blood slaves
Illusions can no longer cast phoenix pyre
Illusions cannot alter their max HP
False damage can now cause HP rout
Hosting performance improvement
Size 8+ units will now become a large type mummy
If arena award is not an artifact, don't remove it from the world first
Disabled items didn't show up on F8 screen
Hidden in snow, etc. can now get more units
Communions used too many gems to reduce fatigue sometimes
Combat spells could not target col/row 0, fixed
No longer possible to de-mercify mercs by casting e.g. twiceborn on them
MR bonus from XP was not show in the detailed stats
Furniture (in assassinations) is now poison resistant

Grand Communion? uhh what? communions in my rituals???
Anyone played with it?

edit: ok, I have read how it works. This is the list of units who can do it, btw:

Units capable of joining Grand Communions
Pythium's Theurgs (MA and LA)
Marverni's Druids (not gutuater nor Stargazer)
Abysias Anathemants (All eras. Not Warlocks)
Ur (priest mages)
Uruk (Moon priests and Gala)
Mictlan (Priests in all eras. Not Nahualli)
Berytos (Brides and priests)
Gath (Kohen Gadol and Kohen)
Ermor (EA Pontifex and Flamen)

Also a few pretenders (such as the divine emperor) and some heroes.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 30, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what are the two new scale mails?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Dominions 6: Furniture is now poison resistant

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what are the two new scale mails?

Black (earth) and white (air)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

that seems drastic, but I will respect Illwinter's vision

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

This update introduces the Grand Communion. It is a new type of ritual communion that can be used to bolster the strength of global enchantments as well as the dispelling of global enchantments. Grand communions can only be used by priest mages of a few select nations, e.g. Pythium and Ur. There are also a lot of bug fixes and some other new features in this update. E.g. it is now possible to view unit details such as magic gems and afflictions by pressing tab in the battle unit overview (F1).

General
Grand Communion (new type of communion for global rituals and dispels)

Aurora Borealis can now also be cast during darkness

False damage can now cause HP rout

[...]

Grand Communion? uhh what? communions in my rituals???
Anyone played with it?

edit: ok, I have read how it works. This is the list of units who can do it, btw:

Units capable of joining Grand Communions
Pythium's Theurgs (MA and LA)
Marverni's Druids (not gutuater nor Stargazer)
Abysias Anathemants (All eras. Not Warlocks)
Ur (priest mages)
Uruk (Moon priests and Gala)
Mictlan (Priests in all eras. Not Nahualli)
Berytos (Brides and priests)
Gath (Kohen Gadol and Kohen)
Ermor (EA Pontifex and Flamen)

Also a few pretenders (such as the divine emperor) and some heroes.

1.) OK, I can see a chain going Twilight -> Night -> Aurora Borealis, though I'd have to see this spell in action to decide how much this very complicated way to maybe stun some enemies works out in practice.

2.) False damage can now fake damage so hard people panic and run away? Nice, but why was this not a thing before???

3.) I'm tempted to try turning big UW-monsters into mummies just so I can walk them on land. Need to look at the stats to see if turning monsterfish into monstermummies is worth it, though.

4.) The new Grand Communions sound like a neat idea, but if it's limited to just a couple nations, most games will never see them, which is a shame.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Disagree that games won't see them.

Mictlan (all ages), Abyssia (all ages), MA Pythium, and EA Berytos are all popular picks in mp and most of them get the ability on their main spammable mage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Disagree that games won't see them.

Mictlan (all ages), Abyssia (all ages), MA Pythium, and EA Berytos are all popular picks in mp and most of them get the ability on their main spammable mage.

that's 3 for EA, 3 for MA, and 2! for LA, not exactly a lot

even if every single pick is taken each time, only a small minority of players will even have the possibility of using grand communions, that's not a lot

remember, there's a version of normal communions that's just "whoever has astral", and everyone can use that

I feel like Grand Communions are incomplete without a less awesome version that just needs your standard astral mages. The special nations can then still have their slightly better working gimmick.

The ability to work ritual communions is otherwise far too powerful to restrict to just a small number of nations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

that's 3 for EA, 3 for MA, and 2! for LA, not exactly a lot

even if every single pick is taken each time, only a small minority of players will even have the possibility of using grand communions, that's not a lot

remember, there's a version of normal communions that's just "whoever has astral", and everyone can use that

I feel like Grand Communions are incomplete without a less awesome version that just needs your standard astral mages. The special nations can then still have their slightly better working gimmick.

The ability to work ritual communions is otherwise far too powerful to restrict to just a small number of nations.

The mechanics are somewhat underwhelming. They only apply to overcast strength for globals/dispels, and at a pretty low rate. If they were universal they would be a zero-sum game--you throw an extra 50 mages into your global, I throw an extra 50 mages into my dispel, we're back at square one.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Huh. What happens to the global when the grand communion caster(s) die? Is there a load-bearing mage? Does it get weaker every-time a member dies of old age?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LordSloth posted:

Huh. What happens to the global when the grand communion caster(s) die? Is there a load-bearing mage? Does it get weaker every-time a member dies of old age?

I don't think anything happens. The extra mages reinforced the ritual at the time of the casting, like using extra gems, but that's it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think anything happens. The extra mages reinforced the ritual at the time of the casting, like using extra gems, but that's it.

Man, that's the lamest way they could have possibly done this. Where's my catastrophically collapsing fail cascade???

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah that sucks. i want a super-fragile Astral Nexus put in place by sixty S1 sages, which falls over and explodes if any of them lose their voice

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would've done it like that, but as each one of the mages die the 'bonus' gems gets subtracted from the global one by one so the more of them get offed the easier it is to remove/replace over time. That's probably a pain in the rear end to code though

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

…speaking about collapsing Astral Nexus, why don’t we have catastrophic failure rolls for globals that unleash a doom horror for a few months, or a wild Tartarian Gate, or vengeful elemental kings and queens and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

catastrophic failure on globals is letting your opponents cast them