Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they really like if you took the percentage of deadly males compared to all males is the number really that much higher than pit bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
pitbull DBRF is less than 1 per 100k

intentional homicide in the US is 4.88 if you take into consideration men are like 90% of homicide arrests in the US then you can just about double that since men and women are just about equal population so let’s just say 8 per 100k which is pretty conservative.

So statistically you are 8+ times more likely to kill her than the pitbull she chooses.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Probably closer to ten tho tbh

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
lol at all the people refusing to put pressure on pitbull breeders to create a less dangerous pitbull.

edit: I and my dog were attacked.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I was bred to kill. :(

pibble just killed my bread :(

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 25, 2018

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

she went on about how she shouldn’t trust males because males are statistically deadly too lmbo
I never thought about it that way.

EagerSleeper posted:

lol at all the people refusing to put pressure on pitbull breeders to create a less dangerous pitbull.

Definitely, but I don't know how you put pressure on all the breeders who I assume don't exactly operate with responsible intentions when they breed hosed up status dogs.

Kazak fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 25, 2018

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
You know what, go ahead and get rid of the wild dogs on the native american reservations as well. Those things have killed people too, but when dog catchers go out there to help, people try and hide those dogs that they otherwise do not give a poo poo enough about to actually house for themselves. Probably because they are murder dogs.

Kazak posted:

Definitely, but I don't know how you put pressure on all the breeders who I assume don't exactly operate with responsible intentions when they breed hosed up status dogs.

idk for sure, but the simplest and kindest thing I could think of is knocking off mainstream demand for pitbulls, so that way normie breeders would switch over to a different breed or maybe try and make more marketable (non-bitey) pitbulls. Illegal dog-fighting breeders are usually being stopped every day by police tip-offs, and people will know for sure if they have accidentally bought a true-bred murder dog from an illegal breeder so I don't consider it much a factor.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 25, 2018

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Smash it Smash hit posted:

intentional homicide in the US is 4.88 if you take into consideration men are like 90% of homicide arrests in the US then you can just about double that since men and women are just about equal population so let’s just say 8 per 100k which is pretty conservative.

So statistically you are 8+ times more likely to kill her than the pitbull she chooses.

yeah but you're not supposed to gently caress pitbulls.

No seriously though it's a dog. It's a pet. It has one purpose in life, to be a good companion to people, and if the breed are good dogs 90%-99% of the time but occasionally go nuts and maul small children, then it is not a good breed and it has no reason to continue to exist. There are many other breeds out there that are just as good as pitbulls in every possible way, that are just as good or better at every possible job a pitbull could be used for (except dogfighting), but which don't have the same risk of mauling other dogs or small children to death. I don't understand how this is so hard to pitbull owners to understand.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Welcome, good input but we've already tackled the issue (well done everybody) and are now just having a fun uplifting thread for the dogs :cheerdoge:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sucrose posted:

No seriously though it's a dog. It's a pet. It has one purpose in life, to be a good companion to people, and if the breed are good dogs 90%-99% of the time but occasionally go nuts and maul small children, then it is not a good breed and it has no reason to continue to exist. There are many other breeds out there that are just as good as pitbulls in every possible way, that are just as good or better at every possible job a pitbull could be used for (except dogfighting), but which don't have the same risk of mauling other dogs or small children to death. I don't understand how this is so hard to pitbull owners to understand.

But there are several breeds that have similar DBRF as pitbulls and some that are higher. Not to mention the ambiguity that i mentioned earlier in studies that show the inaccuracy of identifying pitbull breeds at a rate of 40% so do you also ban and get rid of all the dogs that they confused for pitbulls as well? Do you do dna tests to make sure you are not culling non pitbulls?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Difference being that I, a real human bean, am in control of my actions and can chose not to maul my family to death because I am a rational actor and I also understand that my actions carry consequences.

A pitbull probably thinks your family members are delicious while it eats them and thats about it.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pycckuu posted:

Difference being that I, a real human bean, am in control of my actions and can chose not to maul my family to death because I am a rational actor and I also understand that my actions carry consequences.

Every soon to be murder probably says this

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EagerSleeper posted:

You know what, go ahead and get rid of the wild dogs on the native american reservations as well. Those things have killed people too, but when dog catchers go out there to help, people try and hide those dogs that they otherwise do not give a poo poo enough about to actually house for themselves. Probably because they are murder dogs.

idk for sure, but the simplest and kindest thing I could think of is knocking off mainstream demand for pitbulls, so that way normie breeders would switch over to a different breed or maybe try and make more marketable (non-bitey) pitbulls. Illegal dog-fighting breeders are usually being stopped every day by police tip-offs, and people will know for sure if they have accidentally bought a true-bred murder dog from an illegal breeder so I don't consider it much a factor.

What an unintelligible garbage heap of a post

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

There's about 160 million men in the US so there needs to be 20 million pitbulls for them to be equally dangerous you dumbass

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

True, but when the murderer goes to jail society feels like justice was done. When a dog mauls someone and gets put down... eh? not so much...

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pycckuu posted:

True, but when the murderer goes to jail society feels like justice was done. When a dog mauls someone and gets put down... eh? not so much...

and yet our prisons are horrible places where justice is subverted, only satisfying our basic emotional desire to do something without any benefit to society

good comparison

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

What an unintelligible garbage heap of a post

Mostly I'm just remembering the "what do people not know about native reserves" AMA on reddit, and apparently nobody knows about all the feral dogs. Since they never get fed or socialized properly they are dangerous, and are responsible for a number of attacks and deaths. Seeing all the abandoned dogs around where im at in the countryside makes that story strike a chord with me.

Speaking of abandoned dogs, there's this cute dog that hides underneath my car that's pregnant. Is there anything I could to get the puppies a good home, call an ASPCA, or should I just let them run wild?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

and yet our prisons are horrible places where justice is subverted, only satisfying our basic emotional desire to do something without any benefit to society

good comparison

Maybe. But when a criminal goes to prison he is first of all off the streets and unable to hurt other innocent people, and secondly the act of punishment being carrier out potentially discourages other criminals. I won't steal a candy bar from the gas station because stealing is wrong, but also because I don't want to get arrested. When a pitbull is put down the dog race does not somehow become aware that biting people is bad.

In other words, comparing dog violence with human violence is completely silly top to bottom.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
instead of a dog i have installed a series of deadly claymores around my home and yard. i also have a man come and dig deep holes filled with punji sticks and conceal them, where they remain unknown until the trap is sprung, giving me an opportunity to prove my mettle

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Smythe posted:

instead of a dog i have installed a series of deadly claymores around my home and yard. i also have a man come and dig deep holes filled with punji sticks and conceal them, where they remain unknown until the trap is sprung, giving me an opportunity to prove my mettle
a lot of people think they have genuine claymore but 40% of the time...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kazak posted:

ThermosAquaticus posted:

There's about 160 million men in the US so there needs to be 20 million pitbulls for them to be equally dangerous you dumbass

Uh. What part of per 100k did you not understand?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Sucrose posted:

hmmm yes that seems like a good point but have you considered this picture of a pitbull with flowers on its head?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I shot at a group of pitbulls that ran on my land and attacked my dogs ama

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Man Whore posted:

I shot at a group of pitbulls that ran on my land and attacked my dogs ama

Why should I care

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Why should I care

I don't care if you care but pitbulls are garbage dogs and I hope they all die.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Man Whore posted:

Hm still can’t seem to care :shrug:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Hm still can’t seem to care :shrug:

sad

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

curious to see how wes andersons new film addresses and dismantles anti dog bias

also testing out my new av

its good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hmmm yes that seems like a good point but have you considered this picture of a pitbull with flowers on its head?

you make a strong argument

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

:hai:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kazak posted:

curious to see how wes andersons new film addresses and dismantles anti dog bias

its good

:eyepop:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

its good

its a good dog with floppy ears

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Wanna pat that good boy

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ThermosAquaticus posted:

math isnt his strong point

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

What's the best less-lethal weapon to use to prevent oneself from being harmed by roaming packs of dogs?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

3hands posted:

What's the best less-lethal weapon to use to prevent oneself from being harmed by roaming packs of dogs?

a stick?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Man Whore posted:

Everything will die. Including the universe.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

:vince:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
It’s per 100k of dogs you maroons so there are less than one DBRF per 100k pitbulls

However there are 4.88 intentional homicides per 100k humans in the the us. Which is half male. Males make up 90% of homicide arrests do just about double that 4.88

Jesus how are y’all this militantly dense lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

• Locked thread