Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Netflix is alright, but Hulu Plus is a joke. The worst part about Hulu is that even if you have Plus it has commercials and a lot of the programming on it requires you to have a cable subscription to watch anyways. There is almost nothing worth watching on Amazon Prime (besides I guess Veronica Mars).

Amazon has a lot of HBO stuff. They've also been getting a better selection from what I can tell. I wouldn't say its worth the price of prime on its own, but it's improved a lot from the first time I looked and couldn't find anything remotely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Amazon just got a lot of older HBO shows like the Sopranos, so it gives a bit more value to my Prime subscription. It'd better because it's not exactly cheap anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Flirc is only $14 for the rest of today i guess?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0ETW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hell of a deal

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That works with a Harmony remote, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Uthor posted:

That works with a Harmony remote, right?

You could change your tv with your gas fireplace remote with flirc i believe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Don Lapre posted:

You could change your tv with your gas fireplace remote with flirc i believe.

I don't have a remote for my fireplace, but I do have one for my window A/C unit. "Play Die Hard when I turn down the temperature."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lol, basically it can learn any IR remote and use it, including harmony ones, or even your regular tv remote.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

I guess your point is don't screw around with this, just keep paying for Hulu/Amazon/Netflix and then just pirate everything else?

Gotcha, but a Win8 WMC is well supported and will work fine, right?

I wrote a fat wall of text on this (TV Tuners with XBMC and in general) a year or so ago but I can't find it so I'll sum it up for you:

I hosed around with integrating Live TV and PVR with various media centers for over 10 years (really).

I've used them all (OTA tuners, CableCard, Capture boxes) with several types of TV services.

It is completely and utterly not worth it. The landscape is just as hosed up and full of workarounds and general dick-ery as ever, maybe more so, while the streaming landscape has only gotten better.

Thermopyle is right: Pay for what you want, be it regular cable or the streaming service(s) of your choice, use XBMC/Kodi for the rest, and stop fretting over having some magical all in one box/interface because it's not worth it. You may, with luck, money, and a shitload of dicking around, get it to 95% of what you want, and then you'll obsess forever over the 5% you'll never have. It's not worth the trouble.

I have U-Verse for TV - the little wireless boxes they have now make it easy to co-locate with my other stuff. I use a FireTV for streaming stuff. Kodi for everything else. A Harmony remote so my family and myself don't have to dick around managing which is which. Works great, and ironically if I add up all the time and money I spent trying to beat the man creating my own One Ring of Media Centers I'm probably coming out ahead now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ixian posted:

I wrote a fat wall of text on this (TV Tuners with XBMC and in general) a year or so ago but I can't find it so I'll sum it up for you:

I hosed around with integrating Live TV and PVR with various media centers for over 10 years (really).

I've used them all (OTA tuners, CableCard, Capture boxes) with several types of TV services.

It is completely and utterly not worth it. The landscape is just as hosed up and full of workarounds and general dick-ery as ever, maybe more so, while the streaming landscape has only gotten better.

Thermopyle is right: Pay for what you want, be it regular cable or the streaming service(s) of your choice, use XBMC/Kodi for the rest, and stop fretting over having some magical all in one box/interface because it's not worth it. You may, with luck, money, and a shitload of dicking around, get it to 95% of what you want, and then you'll obsess forever over the 5% you'll never have. It's not worth the trouble.

I have U-Verse for TV - the little wireless boxes they have now make it easy to co-locate with my other stuff. I use a FireTV for streaming stuff. Kodi for everything else. A Harmony remote so my family and myself don't have to dick around managing which is which. Works great, and ironically if I add up all the time and money I spent trying to beat the man creating my own One Ring of Media Centers I'm probably coming out ahead now.
Just to clarify, and this is not sarcastic, but by Kodi you mean XMBC with pirated video via torrents or whatever, right?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Or just addons.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gozinbulx posted:

Or just addons.

Well, I have Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix already. What other services can I subscribe to?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Vudu is another streaming. But casually browsing through my Apple TV, there's always all the sports streaming services, HBO Go (when it's available standalone)

But what bugs me is that for all the cost of this, you might as well just pay for a stupid cable subscription in the end because at least it's just one bill to screw with. The cable industry has entrenched themselves in this way to the extent it makes disrupting them much, much harder to begin with than the music industry when it comes to content bundling and a la carte options.

So, I'm going to agree with Ixian and say that trying to look for the Jesus Media Box at this present time is not happening. The closest I can imagine would be Windows Media Center with a Cable Card on top of your existing cable carrier's cable box along with Tivo for mobile and remote streaming support and XBMC (or Plex, take your preference here) for everything that doesn't work with that. This is so prohibitively expensive and clunky in integration with almost zero improvements in sight that it should be considered about as likely to happen as Goldman Sachs having a change of heart, refiling themselves as a 501c3 corporation and everyone works for food stamps. It's possible, but not in our universe.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

necrobobsledder posted:

But what bugs me is that for all the cost of this, you might as well just pay for a stupid cable subscription in the end because at least it's just one bill to screw with. The cable industry has entrenched themselves in this way to the extent it makes disrupting them much, much harder to begin with than the music industry when it comes to content bundling and a la carte options.

Well, the only problem is that Hulu/Netflix/Amazon prime is about $30/month. Cable is easily two or three times that, once you rent the DVR and all that. We don't watch any sports, and only really watch a handful of shows which are actually available on Hulu either the day of or day after. I'll just stick with my current setup.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Well, I have Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix already. What other services can I subscribe to?

Addons are not about subscribing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying that I'm saying, but to clarify, what I'm saying is:

Usenet/torrent all of your poo poo and to cover your moral bases continue (or start) (or not if you don't feel the need) to pay for TV in whatever way is convenient for you. Then you can have the magical all in one box/interface because it's all in XBMC. (of course, if you watch sports or live events you're still kind of screwed)

I pay for cable tv and a couple of other services, but literally never, ever watch them because it's all in XBMC.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I was wondering if this is possible, setup a htpc with a tuner and have it steam to a nexus player or firetv? I want local channels but don't wanna switch inputs, I guess streaming recorded shows would work too.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

5436 posted:

I was wondering if this is possible, setup a htpc with a tuner and have it steam to a nexus player or firetv? I want local channels but don't wanna switch inputs, I guess streaming recorded shows would work too.

This is pretty possible if you're using WMC for your HTPC. http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC
It's nowhere near as nice as just using WMC or a WMC extender directly. I tried it for a while and now just switch to the Xbox360 when I want to watch live TV from the htpc in the other room.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with my EyeTV / Plex combo. I have an EyeTV HD plugged into my Mac Mini, which records the component output of my U-verse STB. It records my shows (granted at only one stream at a time...) and saves them and imports them into Plex. There's a (somewhat buggy) plugin for Plex that lets you stream live TV through Plex using the EyeTV box, which is handy.

It puts all my media in Plex (with ads, though there's some script that will try to remove ads by watching for black space), including recordings and liveTV and I can stream it to anywhere. Surprisingly, the holes in my system are Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime which don't have plugins for Plex. The only drawbacks that I've noticed are a) the EyeTV Plex plugin is kind of cludgy b) Recording quality of the EyeTV can be subpar and c) it's not a cheap setup. It was pretty much just an exercise to see if I could, but I'm reasonably pleased with it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
It looks like from the last few posts that integrating live OTA channels w/ FireTv/NexusTV isn't possible. Whats my best bet for recording live tv from an OTA antenna? I've looked at the landscape a little but haven't seen a clear leader. Some background, I have a NAS, fire stick, chromecast, and I am thinking about building an HTPC. I'd like it if I could play some NES/SNES/Gamecube roms as well with I guess old xbox or ps3 controllers. Thats not super important though but I figured a nice add-on.

I've seen Tablo, Simple.tv, and a few others, wondering what path I should go down.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Well, the only problem is that Hulu/Netflix/Amazon prime is about $30/month. Cable is easily two or three times that, once you rent the DVR and all that. We don't watch any sports, and only really watch a handful of shows which are actually available on Hulu either the day of or day after. I'll just stick with my current setup.

Yea but thats not the way to look at it. Most people have Prime/Netflix no matter what. Its not like they buy cable and cancel those 2 services. You can also still get local channels and if you can borrow someones ESPN login and you can get NFL Sunday Ticket for streaming footballs.

I'm paying like 85 for DTV (+Netflix/Prime) in NYC, plan on chopping that down to like $30 (Hulu/HBO Go/some sort of PVR for local channels). Then add in a $20 a month budget for just renting movies that aren't available which is pretty unlikely I'll even spend that much.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

5436 posted:

It looks like from the last few posts that integrating live OTA channels w/ FireTv/NexusTV isn't possible. Whats my best bet for recording live tv from an OTA antenna? I've looked at the landscape a little but haven't seen a clear leader. Some background, I have a NAS, fire stick, chromecast, and I am thinking about building an HTPC. I'd like it if I could play some NES/SNES/Gamecube roms as well with I guess old xbox or ps3 controllers. Thats not super important though but I figured a nice add-on.

I've seen Tablo, Simple.tv, and a few others, wondering what path I should go down.

Just seconding this question, I am currently looking at and wondering the exact same thing. Tablo and simple.tv both look great on paper (I have a roku 3) but both units seem to be complete crap judging by the reviews on amazon and similar places.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

Live OTA works great on the nexus player if you have an HDHomerun with transcoding. No DVR support though.. yet

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Don Lapre posted:

Live OTA works great on the nexus player if you have an HDHomerun with transcoding. No DVR support though.. yet

This seems ideal if it could also record shows. I thought the homeruns could record to a HTPC?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

This seems ideal if it could also record shows. I thought the homeruns could record to a HTPC?

Homeruns are just tv tuners. Its up to the software on the client to record or stream or whatever else. So yes, if someone wrote an android DVR app with hdhomerun support it would work.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Ixian posted:

I have a similar story, first HTPC was in 2002 back when people still got hardware DVD decoders and analog TV inputs. I really wasn't happy with many of the prior solutions I've tried:

• Random Windows apps not integrated - did this most of the time but epic fail with any family members who are PC novices
  • XBMC - takes awhile to setup, need a PC or beefy client (until FireTV) to get working.
  • Media Browser - old version good for live TV, new branch good for recorded stuff, neither great at both.
  • NextPVR - good for live TV, bad for recorded stuff

Now I'm running this which, while not ideal, has been successfully used by several non-techie family members and works great from my HTPC, a web UI (totally unexpectedly), and Roku 2. The only thing it doesn't handle well is PVR which I honestly didn't need real bad. It isn't especially pretty but it totally beats paying for a cable box.

• HDHomerun Prime with FiOS cable card
  • Plex on desktop PC with regular libraries for Movies and TV Shows
  • Old i7 laptop running PHT
  • HDHomerunViewer Channel in Plex (less crappy than HD Surfer)
  • mc2xml running once a day to update TV guide
  • flirc with TV's regular remote (key to making it easy to use)
  • AutoHotKey to make the flirc do things like launch Plex if it isn't open

The only part that took more than 10 minutes to setup was the guide for HDHR Viewer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why dont you use windows media center? It works perfectly. You can even launch plex or XBMC through it. We have a button in WMC that quits WMC and launches XBMC. When XBMC quits wmc reeopens. We use that and a roku.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have an antenna card and a really nice antenna for OTA TV, but it works fine until I try to record a show I want, and the signal gets all wonky. It's a pain.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Don Lapre posted:

Why dont you use windows media center? It works perfectly. You can even launch plex or XBMC through it. We have a button in WMC that quits WMC and launches XBMC. When XBMC quits wmc reeopens. We use that and a roku.

This is my experience as well. Multiple WMC clients, with a HD Home Run Prime in the center of it all, plus a couple of a Fire TVs in there too. We use a Lenovo remote in the living room but the guest room has a WMC remote to avoid overcomplicating things for visitors.

I also use comskip so most of the time I don't even see the commercials.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

emocrat posted:

Just seconding this question, I am currently looking at and wondering the exact same thing. Tablo and simple.tv both look great on paper (I have a roku 3) but both units seem to be complete crap judging by the reviews on amazon and similar places.

The best option, walkthrough:
  • Budget out what you anticipate spending on gear. Don't forget your time too.

• Triple it because you won't have budgeted enough. Quadruple in the case of time.

• Convert it in to the lowest denomination of paper cash in your currency of choice, such as a dollar. You want a decent sized pile of it.

• Set it on fire. I recommend an accelerant such as lighter fluid if you are pressed for time. Make sure you do it carefully in a well ventilated area - safety first!

• Pour water on the resulting pile of ash until you have formed a thick, gooey paste.

• Put paste in to a rectangular shaped mold. This is the part that trips most people up - you can use a small box, the kind a lot of Smartphones come in work well.

• Stick a handle in to the paste through the open part of the box. A old, small hammer works really well for this part.

• Stick it in your freezer for at least 4-6 hours. Overnight if you want to be safe.

• Remove the resulting cash hammer when fully frozen from freezer/box.
Now hit yourself repeatedly in the head with it until you come to your senses. This is the trickiest part - for some, a couple good whacks right in the middle of the forehead does the trick, others may want to enlist a friend to smack them in the back or side of the head instead. You'll find no shortage of friends wanting to do this, by the way, I know, surprises everyone the first time.

It's acceptable to substitute your crotch for your head in a pinch. There's really no one "right" way to do this.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I wanted Roku and mobile support. If all you've got is a Windows PC, it is not a bad option.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I have mostly cut the cord, but the one time we use our(terrible and soon to be canceled) satellite is for sports(American football) and local news. How difficult is it to set up our own DVR that hooks into an antenna, and can be played back on any of our 3 TV's? I am sure this question comes up all the time, but the sheer amount of information out there on this is baffling.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Mrit posted:

My wife and I have mostly cut the cord, but the one time we use our(terrible and soon to be canceled) satellite is for sports(American football) and local news. How difficult is it to set up our own DVR that hooks into an antenna, and can be played back on any of our 3 TV's? I am sure this question comes up all the time, but the sheer amount of information out there on this is baffling.

Did you seriously not read the last page of this thread?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I think I'm going to get the HDHomerun w/ transcoding + an HTPC. Will recording shows in HD work fine from an antenna? Any downfalls with this approach? Gonna try hooking up nexus player to play the OTA channels and use the HTPC to record shows and to host PLEX.

Question about gaming, what do I need to use PS3/4 or Xbox controllers and setup roms with the HTPC?

edit 2: Any good prebuilt HTPC? I really hate researching all the parts.

5436 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 3, 2015

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

5436 posted:

I think I'm going to get the HDHomerun w/ transcoding + an HTPC. Will recording shows in HD work fine from an antenna? Any downfalls with this approach? Gonna try hooking up nexus player to play the OTA channels and use the HTPC to record shows and to host PLEX.

Question about gaming, what do I need to use PS3/4 or Xbox controllers and setup roms with the HTPC?

You're going to need something else to record besides Plex.

A wired (USB) Xbox 360 controller works with an HTPC extremely well. The wireless hardware is a little tougher and I've had two receivers die on me which is unfortunately common.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

I had a Lenovo Q something for a while:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Q190-57327830-Celeron-Dual-Core/dp/B00K5JNJ6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420315178&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+q190

Something along those lines, if you don't want to put a HTPC card in it, and with a HDHomerun you won't need too.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Namlemez posted:

You're going to need something else to record besides Plex.

A wired (USB) Xbox 360 controller works with an HTPC extremely well. The wireless hardware is a little tougher and I've had two receivers die on me which is unfortunately common.

Yea PLEX is for my downloaded content. I'll use WMC or something to record shows and shove them to my NAS.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok I'm going to take a giant poo poo on the Amlogic S802 based box (M8) I got from some Chinese manufacturer on advice from a goon here.

- Netflix is limited to 480p
- Some apps from the play store just refused to install, some would sideload just fine and others were very problematic requiring repacking and many edits
- Numerous crashes and freezes, this is a common firmware related problem according to many reviews
- Bizarre performance problems like video buffering for no reason in XBMC and sound hitching
- Last ditch effort to make something useful out of the device using a simple factory restore to remove the chinese bloatware left me with a bricked loving device

Stay far away from these pieces of poo poo, spend the money and get a FireTV or a NUC. I'm going to be returning this, I'm thankful I had a NUC already elsewhere in the house so this was just a failed experiment.

100% agree with this, too bad I saw this like 10 minutes after I ordered an M8. The no name android boxes are pieces of poo poo and more for tinkering and loving around than for finding a home media solution. They are unreliable, inconsistent, poorly made and overall a really loving frustrating experience.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Ok I found this build and it looked decent. Was going to throw out all the extra poo poo. Is there a better budget option?

http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

5436 posted:

Ok I found this build and it looked decent. Was going to throw out all the extra poo poo. Is there a better budget option?

http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/

A NUC or similar is going to be the only thing. I'm using a NUC-sized amd A8 on my HTPC and it works flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

suddenlyissoon posted:

A NUC or similar is going to be the only thing. I'm using a NUC-sized amd A8 on my HTPC and it works flawlessly.

Ahhh nice, didn't even know about NUCs. Looks like that'll be a better fit.

edit: Looks like this might be the ideal fit,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7566/intels-haswell-nuc-d54250wyk-ucff-pc-review/6

+ HDhomerun + Nexus player

The NUC runs plex/some dvr software, the nexus player will stream the homerun, plex, and netflix/hulu/etc. Anything to consider before pulling the trigger?

5436 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 3, 2015