Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Maaaaaaaybe a cheap pet toy? But honestly, while I believe that every yarn has a place, there is such a thing as too cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe
I usually see those mini cotton yarns next to the amigurumi books in my local yarn store. They are perfectly sized to make a bunch of colorful amigurumi without ending up with 9/10ths of your full sized balls of yarn left over.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I finished my first cardigan. Kids size cause I wanted to start small. Gonna make a grown up one soon I think.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That looks great!!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

It took me almost a year, including periods of massive depression and distraction. I finished my 17 skein rainbow blanket.

I had to edit out some fort depression messiness, but I am glad I finished this in time for Texas to get heckin' cold. I am also supremely happy not to have it eating my desk space.

Edit: The lump is Shinobi, helping test the blanket.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You must have mad beefy forearms after all that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

El Gar posted:

I finished my first cardigan. Kids size cause I wanted to start small. Gonna make a grown up one soon I think.

Nice work!

Aerofallosov posted:

It took me almost a year, including periods of massive depression and distraction. I finished my 17 skein rainbow blanket.

I had to edit out some fort depression messiness, but I am glad I finished this in time for Texas to get heckin' cold. I am also supremely happy not to have it eating my desk space.

The effort was worth it!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

This is insanely amazing, excellent work!!!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

This is just beautiful work! It's so even.

I'll never not find rainbows happy-making.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks, guys. :D I finally finished my sea weed scarf, too. Shinobi approves of the blanket. I appreciate the kind words. I am glad I did a blanket project, but dang, it got heavy there.

Edit: Also I love rainbows, too. They are part of why I have so much variegated and striping yarn.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

Thanks, guys. :D I finally finished my sea weed scarf, too. Shinobi approves of the blanket. I appreciate the kind words. I am glad I did a blanket project, but dang, it got heavy there.

Edit: Also I love rainbows, too. They are part of why I have so much variegated and striping yarn.

I have so many projects that are like, what if I did colorwork with a neutral and a rainbow?!?! And every time I do it it's like this awesome totally new idea I had.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I only knit for about 6 weeks a year, mostly for Christmas presents, and every year the first time I double knit a pattern I manage to confuse myself about half way through the second row on which is the front and which is the back.

This has been happening for at least the last 5 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I write labels on scraps of paper and tie them on with scrap yarn. It doesn't look the cutest but it works well! I've also done it when knitting 2aat socks, sweater fronts, etc.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I knit my first mitt!!

It's Tin Can Knit's 'Maize' in the smallest size so I wouldn't get bored or too stressed out if I needed to redo it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be!!

Are gloves done the same way as the thumb, with the stitches held on bits of yarn? I thought that was clever.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
They are indeed!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Finished my knitting for Christmas! The top and jumper are gifts, and the dress is for my daughter.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Those are all so pretty! I especially love that purple jumper.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Those are some lucky people. How long have you been working on them?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

a friendly penguin posted:

Those are some lucky people. How long have you been working on them?

Thanks, guys! I started the pink top August 27, completed September 6. The jumper September 6 to October 6, and the dress October 8 to November 29. (I love Ravelry, the only way I can keep tabs on how long I work on a project!) I almost killed myself trying to finish the dress, though, I had to rip out the lace part three times before I figured out I had to put markers between the pattern repeats.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

Thanks, guys! I started the pink top August 27, completed September 6. The jumper September 6 to October 6, and the dress October 8 to November 29. (I love Ravelry, the only way I can keep tabs on how long I work on a project!) I almost killed myself trying to finish the dress, though, I had to rip out the lace part three times before I figured out I had to put markers between the pattern repeats.

Each of those is so pretty but man, that purple jumper :swoon:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

Each of those is so pretty but man, that purple jumper :swoon:

Thanks! It's navy blue, actually, just bad lighting in the photo.

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 24, 2022

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For so long a pattern would tell me to place a marker and I'd be all smug saying "pfft, no. I don't need to do that, I have eyes! I can count!" and then I started freely using markers this year and everything was so much easier.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Asiina posted:

For so long a pattern would tell me to place a marker and I'd be all smug saying "pfft, no. I don't need to do that, I have eyes! I can count!" and then I started freely using markers this year and everything was so much easier.

Hahaha this was/is me. It's a lot more pleasant to put them on now that I just make a poo poo ton of my own with jewelry wire and beads, and cheaper too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just use tiny loops of yarn in a colour I'm not using for that particular project, since there's always scraps left over. I just keep them in the box with my interchangable circular needle set (which I have no idea how I ever lived without).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I love collecting stitch markers. There's so many cute ones. I even have little sea shells.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I can't find my stitch marker collection and it's really annoying me. I have so many different sets that I bought a toolbox type thingy to keep all of the sets together.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I just have loads of the little plastic safety pin ones you buy at the craft store. They work great and I don't like pastels much, so they stand out. My jewelry making friend has offered to make me a bunch of ones as a test batch for possible sale, but I'd be too paranoid to lose them when I take my knitting to work.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoingPostal posted:

I just have loads of the little plastic safety pin ones you buy at the craft store. They work great and I don't like pastels much, so they stand out. My jewelry making friend has offered to make me a bunch of ones as a test batch for possible sale, but I'd be too paranoid to lose them when I take my knitting to work.

No reason to worry. Simple ones can practically be made with your eyes closed and cost pennies to make. The ones with danglies cost a bit more, but if you try some out you can help your friend refine the design. Non-knitters don't necessarily know the sticking points on tools.

I think I've given away half the markers I've made, lol.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Have y'all heard about the Shave 'Em to Save 'Em program put on by the Livestock Conservancy? If you create 5 projects with 4 oz of wool from the rare sheep breeds listed that came from a official provider you can get prizes. They've been planning it for a while now and are still updating the rules as people ask questions but they're finally allowing artists to sign up for passports. As a sheep breeder it's been awesome for me so far and I'm excited to get more of my shearing clients to see their wool as a bonus, not a burden.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like the idea, but it seems veeeeery much still in beta. Redirect to the actual site isn't working in mobile, and when I got there on desktop, the product directory search isn't working.

Also, it seems like an important omission that you need to pay $15 to join to compete for prizes

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
They worked just fine for me on mobile? And the link to sign up states that you pay $15. I think it's fabulous, I'm just sad I'm not in the States and can't join. A one off $15 seems like a small donation to an organisation that will encourage and coordinate rare animal breeders.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I love working with rare breeds, sign me the gently caress up.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I have a question: When you finish something big like a blanket, how do you (or can you) block it? It's going to be a good sized throw when I'm done and I don't really have the space to try and block it.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Does it need a pin out type blocking? If not, I wouldn't bother to be honest.
You could always just put it over a bed covered in towels if it needs it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've put garbage bags down and spread out big shawls and blankets on the floor under the bed before when I had zero floor space and no empty couches or beds.

For lace weight items I've pinned them out and then propped up the cardboard against the wall so I could walk in that space again.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I never block my projects, I either wash them and lay them flat to dry, or iron them with a damp cloth between the iron and project.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm doing my most ambitious lace project ever!

This one! https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/creatures-of-the-reef-shawl

Wish me luck.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Wish me luck.

Looks great! Just remember the stitch markers. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

Wish me luck.

Lifelines are your friends!