Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I need new batteries or maybe build an insane wall-wart powered applicator, but I think this static grass turned out ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, my flat varnish isn't very flat. Maybe I should apply several layers. The can is running out, what's the goon consensus on best rattlecan spray? The local art store has huge cans for a little over what I'd pay for a standard sized Tamiya can.

Vallejo flat varnish for airbrush.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sparq posted:

It works pretty well but matte over glossy looks noticeably different than just matte. As in noticeably more shiny. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong.

VVV may I suggest a drinking straw and blowing real hard

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Sparq posted:

I don't have an airbrush.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, my flat varnish isn't very flat. Maybe I should apply several layers. The can is running out, what's the goon consensus on best rattlecan spray? The local art store has huge cans for a little over what I'd pay for a standard sized Tamiya can.

Testor's dullcote if you're using rattlecans. In my experience, 3 coats of dullcote will flatten pretty much anything, and most of the time only a single coat is necessary.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Baronjutter posted:

I think I need new batteries or maybe build an insane wall-wart powered applicator, but I think this static grass turned out ok.

I'm not entirely certain that is actually a scale model and not just some random train crossing.

Good job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

kaosAG posted:

Testor's dullcote if you're using rattlecans. In my experience, 3 coats of dullcote will flatten pretty much anything, and most of the time only a single coat is necessary.

Thanks, I'll give it a try next.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Baronjutter posted:

Pimpin'. Does that stuff become a dust trap after a while, or is it vacuum friendly?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Extra coat of flat in similar lighting conditions on both the tanker and tank (old photo added for comparison). Flat enough or do you think I need another coat?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

N17R4M posted:

Pimpin'. Does that stuff become a dust trap after a while, or is it vacuum friendly?

You can attack it with the brush attachment of a vacuum and it's fine. I just soak the area in diluted wood glue and sometimes a shot of hair spay after and it holds up great

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

The only thing I've had trouble with of the ones I've got is the shürzen brackets for the Pz.IV G turret which don't really fit properly.

Well it turns out this was my fault, I took it out again the other day to have another go and realized that the one time I relied on Tamiya's fit to be idiot proof, it wasn't. :sweatdrop: Ordered a replacement set of parts and when assembled properly it's actually a pretty good fit.

I'm rather less impressed with the stick on zimmerit set available for it. I'd been putting off doing it because none of it is die-cut (which is a big problem around any protruding bolts/rivets) but I needed something to do during a prolonged game of Civilization with a couple of friends and managed to get it done. The problem I have with it is the base plastic is so thick the edges are rather jarring, luckily I had bought some 'dissolved putty' last week and was looking for something to try it on so I've tried building up the edges to give it a more pasty feel. If I was any good with putty I'd probably have zimmered-it myself. :rimshot: Even at $5 I'm not really sure I could recommend it. Heck, I've got half a mind to rip it off and install die imaginare zimmerit.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

How's the disolved putty?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Extra coat of flat in similar lighting conditions on both the tanker and tank (old photo added for comparison). Flat enough or do you think I need another coat?

It looks good! It's a wonderful bit of work you've done. And with no airbrush, too! Is that because you think hand-painting is just more authentic for tanks an' such?

Just finished my latest kit - I'm not sure why but I finished a kit that I started like 2 years ago and then didn't finish when I couldn't get my hands on some Air Canada/Canadian decals. Revell 1/144 Airbus A320:

It's not my best work, I screwed up the cockpit canopy a bit. It's a very important detail, like a barrel on a tank. What I learned: it's important enough that you should cement it in place early, then use masking fluid over the windows. Then you can make it fit as close as possible to the real thing.

On the other hand, I think the color modulation turned out really well, and I had to mix up the Lufthansa tail color myself. It's not precisely on, but considering the materials I had on hand, I think it's a very good match.

Now if you've never built an airliner, there's one reason you might consider it after you've built a few kits: reference materials. In WW2 German stuff, you're scrounging through a bunch of old black and white photos usually. With a modern airliner, you can enter its registration at airliners.net, and get modern photos of not just the right type, but the exact air-frame you're building. The kit gave several registrations - this one, D-AIQF, is out of service now with Lufthansa and now is a Germanwings aircraft. (It seems to have lost its name in the move as well.)

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
That looks pretty dang great. Is the cockpit window decalled or painted? I used the decal on the A350 I posted a while back, mainly because it was easier. I've also been considering picking up a Revell 320 kit but sadly they're all just the old winglet version rather than the new sharklet one, and apparently there's nothing covering the window holes other than the decal. I also don't have the space for anything new big at the moment either unless I either toss out some older builds or give them away or something.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smoke posted:

That looks pretty dang great. Is the cockpit window decalled or painted? I used the decal on the A350 I posted a while back, mainly because it was easier. I've also been considering picking up a Revell 320 kit but sadly they're all just the old winglet version rather than the new sharklet one, and apparently there's nothing covering the window holes other than the decal. I also don't have the space for anything new big at the moment either unless I either toss out some older builds or give them away or something.

It's a decal, but I also painted it white - only to discover the aircraft I was making had a dark frame to its cockpit windows, anyway, so a decal would have worked fine. (There was an option for light or dark decals, and I managed to tear the dark one with cockpit troubles. The kit is kinda old as you noted - the landing gear is a little maddening - and it has a fair bit of flash, but flash is easily cleared, and it doesn't have any engineering problems.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

It looks good! It's a wonderful bit of work you've done. And with no airbrush, too! Is that because you think hand-painting is just more authentic for tanks an' such?

No, because I'm too cheap to shell out ~500 for a good brush+compressor and too lazy to learn a whole new method of painting :p

Maybe when I move to a bigger place and have enough room for an airbrush painting station I'll consider a present for myself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

No, because I'm too cheap to shell out ~500 for a good brush+compressor and too lazy to learn a whole new method of painting :p

Maybe when I move to a bigger place and have enough room for an airbrush painting station I'll consider a present for myself.

You can get a totally serviceable Master compressor for $60 (you can probably find it in my post history in this thread) and a really quite good Badger brush for about the same, just FYI.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Edit: if you're short on space, try knocking storage holes in the drywall

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I must tempt you as well, an Iwata eclipse cost ~$120. Compressors vary, your Canadian Tire starter can be $50, and it requires about $20-30 for a moisture trap.

The Scale model thread: we're all enablers down here, we're the Reddit of plastic scale things

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

My first airbrush set was a Paasche Talon and compressor:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/patastsetg.html

The Talon is a drat nice airbrush. Sure, it's not an Iwata, but it's also a tad north of half the cost, and a step up from most starters. Though, I hear good things about this one Badger....

And even after picking up an Iwata HP-C, the Talon still gets work.

Fake edit: Well, poo poo, you can get a Talon and a (non-Paasche) tanked compressor for $180 with Prime shipping.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Hi, I'm Nitram, and I have a train problem.

I've already installed some tiny peasants to crew it, who were a pain in the rear end to paint.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smoke posted:

I also don't have the space for anything new big at the moment either unless I either toss out some older builds or give them away or something.

Speaking of enabling: why not build your A320 as a stubby 318? It'd be smaller that way.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Suzaku posted:

My first airbrush set was a Paasche Talon and compressor:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/patastsetg.html

The Talon is a drat nice airbrush. Sure, it's not an Iwata, but it's also a tad north of half the cost, and a step up from most starters. Though, I hear good things about this one Badger....

And even after picking up an Iwata HP-C, the Talon still gets work.

Fake edit: Well, poo poo, you can get a Talon and a (non-Paasche) tanked compressor for $180 with Prime shipping.

I live in the icy wasteland of southern Ontario, so ordering that isn't an option :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I live in the icy wasteland of southern Ontario, so ordering that isn't an option :(

These three shops have decent selection here in Canada:

Maple Airbrush Supplies
Hobby Hobby
Great Hobbies

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

quote:

abe48L-19 Zestaw 2 toczonych Luf do amerykańskich karabinów maszynowych Browning M-1919 A4 1
ADL42 Zestaw do czyszczenia aerografu 1
tam60104 TRICERATOPS DIORAMA 1
tam32540 German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.G 1
abe48L-23 Lufa 37mm M6 do M8 Greyhound,M3, M3A1, M3A3, M3A4 Lee 1
HBB84819 Pz. Kpfw KV2 754(r) Tank 1

This summer will be the summer of the Dino Tank. :dance:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of enabling: why not build your A320 as a stubby 318? It'd be smaller that way.

Might as well go for the third option of picking up an A319 kit in that case, but I still wouldn't have the room. I've already got to find a spot for the 1/720 Revell USS Nimitz I picked up last month and I haven't even started on that yet.

Also, considering that I'm moving in a few months it's better if I have less relatively large assembled kits to move. I'm already thinking about ways to safely pack most of the assembled kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

These three shops have decent selection here in Canada:

Maple Airbrush Supplies
Hobby Hobby
Great Hobbies

Oh wow, that's much cheaper than I saw in hobby shops. And airbrushes generally work with any old compressor from Canadian Tire?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh wow, that's much cheaper than I saw in hobby shops. And airbrushes generally work with any old compressor from Canadian Tire?

My compressor was bought at harbor freight and used to operate nailguns for a few years before I got it.

What matters the regulator, moisture trap and the 50 cent adapter you may need for the airbrush hose

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is there some kind of babby's guide to airbrushing that won't leave me with shrapnel in my face, or is it as simple as regulating it to the pressure range that's written on the brush?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is there some kind of babby's guide to airbrushing that won't leave me with shrapnel in my face, or is it as simple as regulating it to the pressure range that's written on the brush?

A hardware store regulator will be marked in increments as wide as 10psi and may only be accurate to +-3psi.

A hobby one will be marked in single psi's and probably have a built in moisture trap. You can fit anything to anything with adapters and some teflon tape

The compressor quality matters very little if it has an air tank. If there is no tank you want something 1 step above garbage or you may not get regular pressure output.

Some people get air tanks like they use for balloons and get it filled at the hardware store. This can be a nice and cheap option for people that really value silence.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 29, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A hardware store compressor will do the job, but they tend to be very loud. You may want to go with something meant for hobbies that's on the cheap end, and save for a better compressor down the line. I use an Iwata Power Jet Pro. It's not totally silent, but it's quiet enough that it wouldn't disturb someone sleeping in the next room. Two hookups and two regulators as well, so I can keep my big-daddy Paasche Talon and my detailing Harder & Steenbeck Infinity hooked up at the same time. You can probably find one for about $600 if you hunt around or get a sale, but it's not something you need unless you really want to get into airbrushing and have multiple airbrushes.

If you want to go quieter than that, you're basically looking at a C02 tank, or a Silentaire compressor. I used a C02 tank myself for a while, but I just got fed up with having to get it refilled. Other than that it was great. Zero noise, and no moisture in the line. Silentaire compressors are amazing, and virtually silent. You will end up paying out the nose for one though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a guy who does custom train painting that I've always admired, but never been able to afford his work. Keep in mind a newish n scale loco with dcc is anywhere from $120-150 or so, and these custom painters charge that much again for their work. I don't blame them, it takes a lot of time and skill to strip a factory shell, paint, and decal. Well a train guy I know has some health issues and sadly had to sell a bunch of his stuff so I managed to pick 2 up for about as much as a new loco would cost. Pictures don't do them justice, but they feel some how much more real than most factory paint jobs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can one add a tank to a tankless pump and just cycle it manually as pressure drops or is the compressor not really meant to pump at pressures?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: Got chatting with a Rapido dealer visiting our club while in town for a Railway Prototype Modellers meet this weekend.

http://rapidotrains.com/iocs-future-releases/

V: :shepspends:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

There's a guy who does custom train painting that I've always admired, but never been able to afford his work. Keep in mind a newish n scale loco with dcc is anywhere from $120-150 or so, and these custom painters charge that much again for their work. I don't blame them, it takes a lot of time and skill to strip a factory shell, paint, and decal. Well a train guy I know has some health issues and sadly had to sell a bunch of his stuff so I managed to pick 2 up for about as much as a new loco would cost. Pictures don't do them justice, but they feel some how much more real than most factory paint jobs.

That's a heck of a deal. I take it you've seen the BCR SD-40s in HO?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

toplitzin posted:

Can one add a tank to a tankless pump and just cycle it manually as pressure drops or is the compressor not really meant to pump at pressures?

Should work just fine, unless the compressor is complete junk, in which case it wouldn't work for crap without a tank either.

Might need to add some sort of a one-way valve between the compressor and tank, as I doubt that a tankless compressor would completely seal the output when it's off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boomer The Cannon posted:

That's a heck of a deal. I take it you've seen the BCR SD-40s in HO?

My eyes unfortunately lack the ability to focus on such large model trains.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Nebakenezzer suggested I cross-post this from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

The other night I was trying to find color photos of the X-1s wheel wells for a friend and I stumbled across some guy that goes by the name danimalmagic. The man is some kind of model-building MONSTER, a goddamn freakshow of talent, I've been pawing through his photobucket for days now. I hope this is appropriate in this thread, presented in no particular order because it is all so absolutely loving amazing.

I guess he got bored with regular SRs and decided to mix things up. He hand-crafted BIG TAIL

I couldn't believe this when I saw it. He modded a regular C (I think) kit into the Streak Eagle.

I actually stood up out of my chair when I saw this.

And lastly

loving wizard. Just type "danimalmagic" into Google image search, you'll lose all track of time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was going to post a picture or two because I got the drywall filler and the Panzerschiffe ships for my crapships diorama and did a test base about 2" by 2" but… gently caress me that guy i too good to follow.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well, my stuff looks like poo poo regardless of who it follows...

You need to make it look good...

To make it look baaad...

Finally....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's adorable! Tiny li'l crap car :3: