Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Russo stopped telling the announcers what was going on, because he thought that they kept on ruining his angles, so when they responded to the fan in the Sting mask they honestly had no idea if it was supposed to be part of the show or not.

Russo then turned it into an angle after the event.

I think Tony was still sitting in on booking meetings but even with perfect knowledge of what was going on you could never remember all the bullshit Russo was throwing at the wall in one show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Even if they have a booking meeting what's to keep Russo from having a totally awesome idea during the first match and everything changing during the broadcast?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
David Flair was never, ever going to be a star. I don't know what he did in the Power Plant for so long but it wasn't learning how to wrestle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Even if they have a booking meeting what's to keep Russo from having a totally awesome idea during the first match and everything changing during the broadcast?

Even before Russo Nitro was being rebooked while the show was going on. Sometimes due to the show not being fully written sometimes to try and take advantage of Raw commercial breaks. Russo's shows were such a mess timing wise that matches would be dropped or shortened all the time. Lance Storm has a great story of how he and The Wall were given the go home signal for a tables match before the match even started. They then had to figure out how to do a tables match (which had additional stips!) in a minute.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The biggest example of this is the Kevin Nash vs the New Blood gauntlet match that ended with the new blood getting counted down for pins without being covered because it got cut down to only having 4 and a half minutes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

My favorite part of that is it's clear Nash doesn't even know what's going on when the ref starts counting pins

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

David Flair was never, ever going to be a star. I don't know what he did in the Power Plant for so long but it wasn't learning how to wrestle.
The modified crack-snort.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So, tonight during Superbrawl we'll be watching a video of WCW wrestlers doing cocaine backstage. No, it's not Hogan and Piper before their match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

So, tonight during Superbrawl we'll be watching a video of WCW wrestlers doing cocaine backstage. No, it's not Hogan and Piper before their match.

All the wrestlers involved showed more personality than they ever did in their promos

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bigass Moth posted:

I am pretty sure I read that David never wanted to be a wrestler, but he did it to finally spend time with his dad.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Can't wait to see what they learned from this fiasco to give a better match next year. 1/2*

:allears: WCW :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure I read that David never wanted to be a wrestler, but he did it to finally spend time with his dad.

:unsmith:

Fake edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlO_1JGTww

:smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
12/2/96

There's a lot of jokes to be made from this quote:

quote:

At a Killer Kowalski show on 11/23 in North Adams, CT, Kowalski's womens champ, Joanie Lee, defended the title against Rain Drop, who was male wrestler Snooky Fink under a mask with a blonde wig, and who apparently was convincing enough that some of the fans bought that he was a woman wrestler.

quote:

Chris Benoit & Nancy Sullivan did an interview doing that angle that only Kevin and Nancy understand. Benoit talked about what happened in Baltimore and how the entire Dungeon of Doom couldn't get the job done. Nancy said to Kevin that it's over now. Benoit and Nancy had really good charisma together. Benoit's interviews have never been thought of as his strong point but they are now. This was the best he's ever come across as a personality anywhere.

quote:

Steve Regal retained the TV title against the unmasked Villano IV (still wearing a "IV" on his tights just in case anyone couldn't figure out which Mexican he was), as Tony Pena, in 3:05 with the Regal stretch submission. Excellent transition wrestling back-and-forth. I guess the folks at WCW forgot that when you do this angle to humiliate the guy you make fun of, the jobber is supposed to look like a total piece of crap, not like a great mat technician.

quote:

Gene Okerlund is back on the 900 line. Since with the sleazemaster gone, hotline business dropped a ton, so they had to bring him back after all. Jeff Katz, who made the remark about Raw being moved to midnight if the ratings don't improve which resulted in more of those threatening letters, was dumped to bring Okerlund back.

quote:

Conceptually, for pro wrestling to flourish, risks from time-to-time have to be taken. The idea of taking risks is that sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. A good promotion learns from both those that do work and those that don't. Unless that promotion has a bottomless pit of money and doesn't need to learn.

This best sums up World War III on 11/24 from the Norfolk Scope Arena, WCW's now annual 60-man three-ring Battle Royal. The company tried it last year, and what resulted was a major problem in that putting three different pictures on a screen resulted in boredom personified to the television viewer at home. The only positive of the Battle Royal last year, is that they did the three-ring show for 15:00, and had another 14:00 to where the action was confined to one ring and at least was watchable at home, and fairly exciting to boot, but generally even with that the three-ring Battle Royal idea was considered a major flop. I don't know if it's an inability to remember things and lessons from one year ago or just sheer arrogance, but the idea of booking something basically the same, with the only change being that of the 28:21 of the Battle Royal this year, they went 25:20 of three-ring impossible-to-watch action, and then when they got into the final ring with ten men left, it was one of those Titanic (everyone jumps overboard as fast as possible) Battle Royals that in the late 70s and 80s killed the Battle Royal gimmick which in many cities during the 70s was the single biggest drawing match of the year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

12/2/96

Is Okerlund the Sleezemaster being referred to here?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is Okerlund the Sleezemaster being referred to here?

Yes.

I guess I should also be specific that the Joanie Lee in the first quote is almost definitely Chyna since that actually isn't obvious!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

12/2/96

And Jeff Katz is the stupid rear end who hosted the Miss nWo pageant at the first Souled Out. No wonder nobody wanted to hear him on their phone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Holy poo poo, am I sorry I missed Tuesday Nitro last night. Is there a way I can still see the footage?

bobkatt013 posted:

Does anybody know what David Flair does for a living? From what I've heard, he still does indie bookings and just goes out there and has fun with it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, am I sorry I missed Tuesday Nitro last night. Is there a way I can still see the footage?

Does anybody know what David Flair does for a living? From what I've heard, he still does indie bookings and just goes out there and has fun with it.

I believe he's a state trooper, which is what he really wanted to do in the first place.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I actually kind of liked David Flair's run with Crowbar and Daffney. I mean, he was still the drizzling shits in the ring, but Crowbar was passable enough and I liked their gimmick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I actually kind of liked David Flair's run with Crowbar and Daffney. I mean, he was still the drizzling shits in the ring, but Crowbar was passable enough and I liked their gimmick.

He did do crazy pretty well (by wrestling standards, anyways).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

At the very least he eventually learned how to not bungle a Figure Four. Which puts him above Miz.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My understanding is that he had about as much ring training as a celebrity guest, so it's impressive he managed as well as he did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

My understanding is that he had about as much ring training as a celebrity guest, so it's impressive he managed as well as he did.

Some of the beatings he took were brutal. I remember he had a match with Benoit where Benoit just ragdolled him from the opening bell to the run-in finish that cost Benoit the match, but what an rear end-whooping.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you can believe Ric Flair, he was legitimately hot at Hogan and some of the other guys who stiffed David. (He singled out Windham and Hennig for being pros and making David look good.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

If you can believe Ric Flair, he was legitimately hot at Hogan and some of the other guys who stiffed David. (He singled out Windham and Hennig for being pros and making David look good.)

That's possible, but Flair also comes from the old school where greenhorns were stiffed in order to teach them humility and so they'd learn the rule "Somebody stiffs you, give 'em a receipt". Thing is, I could see David being terrified (rightly so) to do that with anybody.

There's also the rumour that he dropped the IWA Intercontinental title back to Ray Gonzalez so quickly because Vic Quinones tried to take advantage of David while he slept (he was staying with Quinones while in PR). David went through some poo poo in wrestling.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I feel like David's one appearance on WWF television was the Undertaker beating the ever living poo poo out of him in a public bathroom.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I feel like David's one appearance on WWF television was the Undertaker beating the ever living poo poo out of him in a public bathroom.

Apparently he also appeared during a Ric Flair promo leading up to that WM match, according to Wiki.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's possible, but Flair also comes from the old school where greenhorns were stiffed in order to teach them humility and so they'd learn the rule "Somebody stiffs you, give 'em a receipt". Thing is, I could see David being terrified (rightly so) to do that with anybody.

The Hogan thing was legit in so much as he took advantage of David in a match where he wasn't even under a long term contract. The whipping spot was over the top and Flair was rightly pissed, but then again Hogan is kind of a prick like that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hogan had better drive very slowly when he's in North Carolina.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I wish my daddy was a wrestler so I could have the WCW US Title for no reason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I believe he's a state trooper, which is what he really wanted to do in the first place.

That's always made me wonder if David Arquette's character in Ready to Rumble wanting to be a wrestler while his father wanted him to be a state trooper was some sort of a rib on that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything is on the playlist, you just have to scroll past all the Village People videos.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Yeah, for MY state, which means that if he actually pulls me over all I will think about is his titantron and this match and I won't ever be able to take him seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-M8nnGJxY

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Shiki Dan posted:

Yeah, for MY state, which means that if he actually pulls me over all I will think about is his titantron and this match and I won't ever be able to take him seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-M8nnGJxY

Hahahaha holy poo poo, were all of his matches that cringe-inducing to watch? I love how the crowd pops for Arn Anderson in a "jesus christ someone who knows what he's doing" way.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mookie from The Board~! did some ridiculous analysis of star ratings in WCW to determine who really made matches better.

First he took the average star ratings of guys and calculated the difference from their matches together.

quote:

Lance Storm Singles: 1.55 average

NEW BLOOD RISING Storm vs. Awesome DUD
FALL BRAWL 2000 Storm vs. Gen Rection **1/4
MAYHEM 2000 Storm vs. Gen Rection *3/4
STARRCADE 2000 Storm vs. Miller *3/4
SUPERBRAWL 2001 Storm vs. Miller **

So, Lance had one match against Mike Awesome and two each against Hugh "General E. Rection" Morrus and Ernest "the Cat" Miller. Let's look at each of those men:

Mike Awesome Singles: 1.50 average
Mike Awesome Singles w/o Lance Storm: 1.6875 average
Difference: -0.1875 [ 1 match ]

Hugh Morrus Singles: 1.25 average
Hugh Morrus Singles w/o Lance Storm: +1.00 average
Difference: +0.25 average [2 matches]

Ernest Miller Singles: 0.769 average
Ernest Miller Singles w/o Lance Storm: +0.568 average
Difference: +0.201 average [2 matches]

Lance Storm Effect:

Mike Awesome (-0.1875) x 1 match + Hugh Morrus (+0.250) x 2 matches + Ernest Miller (+0.201) x 2 matches = +0.1429 average effect on singles matches

Top guys based on their 10 best improvements/carries. (Min. 5 matches)

quote:

1. Chris Benoit: +0.70 improvement in 10 matches
2. Ric Flair: +0.67 improvement in 10 matches
3. Lex Luger: +0.52 improvement in 10 matches
4. Dustin Rhodes: +0.48 improvement in 10 matches
5. Vader: +0.44 improvement in 10 matches
6. Scott Norton: +0.39 improvement in 5 matches
7. Brian Pillman: +0.39 improvement in 10 matches
8. Ricky Morton: +0.38 improvement in 6 matches
9. Billy Kidman: +0.31 improvement in 10 matches
10. Diamond Dallas Page: +0.30 improvement in 10 matches
11. Sting: +0.28 improvement in 10 matches
Luger is once again proven to be better than Sting!

Here's the average and median improvement list, bizarrely sorted by total matches and not name or score.
tl;dr Flair good. Mongo bad. Booker T is exactly as good as Jericho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just love that Shane Douglas has an impact of literally 0.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That says nothing other than Dave gave the guys he likes arbitrarily better match ratings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

That says nothing other than Dave gave the guys he likes arbitrarily better match ratings.
Dave likes guys who entertain him?

This is something my employees always used to accuse me of. When two employees needed a day off, for instance, and I had to decide which would get it, I'd give it to the harder worker who made my job easier more often than not. I'd be met with, "you're just playing favorites!" but I didn't have a personal relationship with anybody, so my "favorites" were entirely based on merit.

I guess Dave does know a lot of these guys, though, and some are his sources, so I don't know. But I'd still argue that he likes guys better when they're entertaining, ergo, more stars.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Is the plot of Ready to Rumble a coincidence or a rib?

Edit: Erm. What Pope Corky said.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, were all of his matches that cringe-inducing to watch? I love how the crowd pops for Arn Anderson in a "jesus christ someone who knows what he's doing" way.

Yeah that was a contender for the worst match I've ever seen, and that includes all the poo poo I've seen in Botchamania. David Flair looks like he doesn't even realize he's on camera. Amazing.