Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

paraquat posted:

excellent, thanks!
and as a follow up question, does this mean I would be better of freezing them all before use, or does it really not matter?

Fresh cooks up differently than frozen then thawed. It doesn't really matter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thank you, I'm just going to try them all...meanwhile, the dough has been made ;-)

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?

Smoothies! Seriously, I buy in those kinds of quantities if it's on good sale and just make lots of awesome smoothies for a while. Toss in fruits, berries, certain vegs (e.g. avacodos, carrots) chocolate, nuts, stuff like peanut butter, whatever you have on hand/can think of. Not all at once though, that's weird. Thin it out with some milk/juice/ice/water/whatever.

Oh and add at least 1/2 banana if you're not going to drink it right away; the texture can go weird otherwise. (Some other stuff might work for holding it, but I haven't experimented too much with letting variations sit around)

It's also pretty serviceable with pierogies in lieu of sour cream.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 3, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

How long can I keep pork adobo in the fridge? It's in a tupperware with its liquid. It's swimming in salt and vinegar so it seems like it should keep a while.

food safety: 3 days
for me at home: 5-7 days or until it smells rotten, whichever happens first

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I don't know how other people do it besides cooking vegetables as soon as they get them.

as mentioned, taking care of your produce instead of just chucking it in the fridge in grocery bags will get a few more days out of it; I recently started using the cilantro-stems-in-water method and seriously had a bunch last two weeks fresh and leafy and green. In general, root-variety vegetables last longer than other types; and things like a hard-skinned squash can last for weeks unrefrigerated if it's not cut into.
Blanching and freezing some veg works but to be honest at that point I would just buy the vegetables frozen in the first place. You mentioned making soups, but other things that contain cooked vegetables can be frozen too, chili, batches of curry, pretty much anything that's pretty wet and saucy will freeze and reheat well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A few days ago I made Basque Chicken, and I cooked the chicken and rice in the same pot in the oven, and it turned out amazingly. Today I want to try something similar, but with Chorizo instead of chicken. I have some whole chorizo sausages, should I cook them first and then put them in the pot with the rice? Or would it be okay to just put them straight in the pot. I'm kind of worried that would be (way) too much fat if I don't cook them first, but at the same time I want to get some of that amazing chorizo flavor in my rice.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We have some decent knives but my wife just uses the bread knife to cut everything: tomatoes, lettuce, fresh herbs, pie, everything.

Question 1, is this bad for the bread knife?
Question 2, can someone give me a good site/video that shows how much more efficient the other knives would be for cutting these things?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

greazeball posted:

We have some decent knives but my wife just uses the bread knife to cut everything: tomatoes, lettuce, fresh herbs, pie, everything.

Question 2, can someone give me a good site/video that shows how much more efficient the other knives would be for cutting these things?

A bread knife is serrated. It it literally awful at cutting things cleanly, even bread. A straight bladed knife like a chef's knife or gyuto, with a well maintained edge, and appropriate belly/spine/geometry to match your cutting style, would result in significant increase in control and cleanliness of the cut.

if you must have a video have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJjOHUnMa8o

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

greazeball posted:

Nope, it's not going to hurt the bread knife at all. It's probably serrated and will feel sharper than your other knives if they haven't been sharpened or honed in a while.

As for question 2 - dude, let this one go. If your wife loves one knife then just smile and pick up one of your cool knives and use that for chopping up veggies. Don't make a big deal out of what knife she grabs. Use whichever feels comfortable in your hand.

If you haven't had your main knives sharpened professional, you may want to spring for that once so you can see how amazing your good knives can be.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jmcrofts posted:

A few days ago I made Basque Chicken, and I cooked the chicken and rice in the same pot in the oven, and it turned out amazingly. Today I want to try something similar, but with Chorizo instead of chicken. I have some whole chorizo sausages, should I cook them first and then put them in the pot with the rice? Or would it be okay to just put them straight in the pot. I'm kind of worried that would be (way) too much fat if I don't cook them first, but at the same time I want to get some of that amazing chorizo flavor in my rice.

The fat will be the vehicle for the flavor getting into the rice. You want the fat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought a cast iron pan. When I'm told to season it prior to cooking in it, that basically means putting something like olive oil in it and baking it for an hour, correct? Or is there some other way I should do it?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eeyo posted:

Depending on the amount & spices/seasonings you roasted it with, you could make some squash bread. Think banana bread, but with squash instead of banana. I don't have a good recipe, but I'm sure you could find a good one real easily.

Question time: anyone have a good suggestion for chana dal? I bought some a bit back and I'm trying to think of a good way to cook it. Recipes seem to be split between cooking the dal with spices/seasonings/whatever, or adding dal to some spices/seasonings/whatever. Anyone have a preferred method?

I bought some curry leaves with the intention of using those with the chana, is that a good spice to use for them? Should the curry leaves smell strongly? I opened my package and they didn't really have a strong aroma, so I might have gotten an old/weak batch but I'm not sure.

Yo. http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

If it's channa daal, cook it ahead of time, either in the pressure cooker, or after soaking and boiling on the stove. Then add the tarka to it. If you have curry leaves, grab a few stalks, tear them in half, and add them to the hot fat of the tarka directly after the spices finish popping. They will smell (at that point) AMAZINGTASTIC. The ones you buy in from the store will never be as fragrant as the ones that I use in my mother's house in Florida, because she has entire hedges made of curry leaves. So when I cook there, I grab a branch off the tree, rip into it immediately, and the whole house smells of curry leaves even before I cook with it. With the store bought, however, adding it to hot fat will do the trick. It's OK if they don't smell strong in the package. That's not how you'll be eating them anyway. XD

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I bought a cast iron pan. When I'm told to season it prior to cooking in it, that basically means putting something like olive oil in it and baking it for an hour, correct? Or is there some other way I should do it?

Just use something like regular old vegetable oil and apply a very thin coat. It's more like swishing a little oil in the pan and wiping most of it out with a paper towel. Any pooling will turn into a gummy mess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do I still need to bake it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

paraquat posted:

excellent, thanks!
and as a follow up question, does this mean I would be better of freezing them all before use, or does it really not matter?

I personally think it's better since they're less likely to fall apart and freezing them makes the skins a bit firmer and they have a texture (when fried) that I prefer.

Try a few before freezing, see if you like them! If they're good enough, eat as many as you can before you freeze them. :P

Also, just a suggestion, but I love using vinegar with just a dash of soy sauce. People look at me like I'm nuts, but it tastes amazing when you dip the gyoza in that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw, my fries will have to wait :saddowns:

Is this for every time I use it?

vv Clearly you don't know me :downs:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 4, 2012

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No, just once. Unless you royally gently caress it up, then you'll have to do it again but that's pretty unlikely unless you take a rotary sander to it or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have some pumpkin flesh. What are good seasonings to put in it

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Cinnamon, cloves, allspice, coriander, cardamom if you like it in sweet stuff, chile + lime. Not all of those at once, obviously.

edit: and nutmeg! How could I forget nutmeg! Shave some off into the pumpkin. Enjoy. Eat the rest of the nut. Trip balls. :catdrugs:

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 4, 2012

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Steve Yun posted:

Or you could go european with salt, pepper, butter, sour cream and parsley or dill.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Dumb question, I know, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask it.

We all know what "edible" means, but is there a similar word, but pertaining to beverages? I've been wondering that for quite some time.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
"Potable" is the word you're looking for, probably.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's perfect, thanks!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
My table is just socio-economically challenged, thank you.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

tuyop posted:

I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?

You shouldn't have to choke it down, but I use it almost exclusively as a substitute for sour cream (I am not sure if it was recommended or not yet).

Late to the party, but for the pirogi filler question a while back, sugar and farmers cheese. Also, minced meat (whatever you have left over chicken/beef/pork).
For a ukranian version (vereniki) my grandmother makes her own farmers cheese (vinegar/milk heat) and mixes with potatoes as a filler. The best part though is the rendered saltpork dip...cube up a piece of saltpork into tiny little pieces, render on the stove until they are nice and crispy. serve this as a side with sour cream, dip the potato perogies into the rendered pork and try to get some of the crunchy bits stuck to it...so drat good.

Question:
I am making baba ghanoush for a party on saturday, does anyone have good recipes/tips besides the poo poo I can look up on google?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
For the first time, I cooked something other than rice! The chicken breast turned out well. Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice.

I ended up individually wrapping 2 pieces of chicken breast in tin foil and seasoned it with just salt, garlic powder, and olive oil. I didn't get cinnamon because I was confused as to what to buy at the store. I'll probably try to add vegetables in there next time now that I know how to cook the chicken without screwing it up.

Which type of olive oil do you guys use? Extra virgin, or the sluttier variety? I used the former, but I don't know what the difference is and which would be better for cooking chicken.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If you're gonna be cooking it at a high temperature, use regular olive oil- it's cheaper and has a higher smoke point. If it's for a Vinaigrette or some other application where you want all the flavor of the oil, use Extra Virgin- it has a lot more flavor (until you cook all the flavor out that is)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Question #1: when a recipe calls for 2 lbs of crawfish tails, is that weight shell on or shell off? Cause I went through 3 lbs of crawfish and got 8 oz of meat :(

Question #2: I'm making a stock with the shells. Since it doesn't have marrow or connective tissue, will one hour of boiling do?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weight of the meat I would think. For a seafood stock a couple hours should be enough. Simmer, don't boil--just barely bubbling's what you want. I usually make seafood stock with shrimp and simmer for two hours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Hi! I checked the subforum and the wiki linked for icecream recipes (besides google, but I'm a little lost), but found very little. Does anyone have a favorite one or tips? I'd have to make it manually, I don't own any fancy machinery, sadly.

I wanted to make (green) grape icecream, but every recipe I found lists grape juice as an ingredient, and the only kind of juice I can get is crappy dark.

Thanks in advance!

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 5, 2012

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I picked up soft pork sausage from the asian market this week. Any recommendations for them? Otherwise they're probably just going to wind up in a frying pan with onions and garlic and served over rice (which I'm sure is still going to be delicious because pork fat)

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

captkirk posted:

I picked up soft pork sausage from the asian market this week. Any recommendations for them? Otherwise they're probably just going to wind up in a frying pan with onions and garlic and served over rice (which I'm sure is still going to be delicious because pork fat)

Grill and serve in a bun with appropriate condiments?

Edit: As in green onions, garlic, sriracha, etc.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jmcrofts posted:

If you're gonna be cooking it at a high temperature, use regular olive oil- it's cheaper and has a higher smoke point. If it's for a Vinaigrette or some other application where you want all the flavor of the oil, use Extra Virgin- it has a lot more flavor (until you cook all the flavor out that is)

For me, olive oil is a finishing oil, and not a cooking or dressing oil. With vinaigrette, I find that the oil's taste is killed by the taste of the mustard and the vinegar. I'll just use canola in that case. Same with cooking. Canola oil is cheap, and gets to a high heat. When I want the taste of extra virgin olive oil, I'll spring for the good stuff, and add a few drizzles at the very end of the cooking, just before serving, and use the canola or peanut for cooking. That way, I can taste the oil that I just spent a small fortune on. This goes for sesame oil as well. Stuff's not cheap. I want to taste that mess.

If you're buying Colavita or Bertolli or whatever, then it doesn't matter anyway. You're just paying money for green tinted crap oil. I'm talking about the good extra virgin olive oil, where when you taste it by itself, it's got this grassy, peppery bite to it, and it smells really strongly of olives the minute you open the bottle.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

dino. posted:

For me, olive oil is a finishing oil, and not a cooking or dressing oil. With vinaigrette, I find that the oil's taste is killed by the taste of the mustard and the vinegar. I'll just use canola in that case. Same with cooking. Canola oil is cheap, and gets to a high heat. When I want the taste of extra virgin olive oil, I'll spring for the good stuff, and add a few drizzles at the very end of the cooking, just before serving, and use the canola or peanut for cooking. That way, I can taste the oil that I just spent a small fortune on. This goes for sesame oil as well. Stuff's not cheap. I want to taste that mess.

If you're buying Colavita or Bertolli or whatever, then it doesn't matter anyway. You're just paying money for green tinted crap oil. I'm talking about the good extra virgin olive oil, where when you taste it by itself, it's got this grassy, peppery bite to it, and it smells really strongly of olives the minute you open the bottle.

All true, but I think it's worth mentioning the positives for health as well. Olive oil is much healthier for you than other cooking oils (vegetable, canola, etc). It has the good fats that the body needs, so I prefer to use olive oil whenever I'm cooking except under the highest heats or deep frying.

Standard rule of them: Light olive oil for everyday use where you don't care about the "olive oil" flavor and will be frying/sauteing with decent heat. Light olive oil has a slightly higher smoke point so it won't burst in to smoke quite as easily under higher heats. Extra virgin olive oil when you are looking more for the "olive oil" flavor, like finishing and cooking Italian foods.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sweet As Sin posted:

I wanted to make (green) grape icecream, but every recipe I found lists grape juice as an ingredient, and the only kind of juice I can get is crappy dark.

They're a super mild taste and one of the problems with ice cream is that your tongue gets super cold while tasting. You need exceptionally bold flavors to fight that. A green grape, by itself, probably won't taste like much of anything.

You could cut a bunch of grapes in half and then use a vanilla ice cream recipe as the base. Churn it up and the grapes will meld into the ice cream. Unfortunately, I think you'll end up with slightly vanilla tasting ice cream and little frozen grape bits.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Can I bake the layers for a cake two days ahead, or will it get dry or weird? I was thinking of baking it, double-wrapping and refrigerating. I've also seen a lot of advice about freezing cakes, but that seems like it might be overkill. And the advice about thawing cake is very inconsistent. :confused:

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 5, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've done a day in advance, double-wrapped with plastic wrap and tossed in the fridge.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cuddlebottom posted:

Can I bake the layers for a cake two days ahead, or will it get dry or weird? I was thinking of baking it, double-wrapping and refrigerating.

This will work fine. When it comes time to frost them, pull them out and get to work. Using cold cake layers will make it a lot easier to handle for frosting/cutting. Let them come up to temperature for serving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

This will work fine. When it comes time to frost them, pull them out and get to work. Using cold cake layers will make it a lot easier to handle for frosting/cutting. Let them come up to temperature for serving though.

Also this. Cold cake is best for frosting.