Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

I'm about to take off LAX-EWR-BUF.

I will arrive at 10am. At 3pm, I will be going BUF-EWR-LHR.

Also I have middle seats the whole way. This is gonna SUCK.

Jesus, how horrible is your company that they can't give you a layover in EWR or a direct flight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How bad is your company that you are stuck with the middle seat everywhere

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had to go home to buffalo between trips. I need to drop off some equipment. It's more about the back to back economy middle seat bullshit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

UPS/Fedex are real, and good, and your friend

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
^^^ e;fb :argh:

“Had to”

my dude y’all could’ve just FedExed that poo poo instead of putting you through a huge inconvenience to act as a courier

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No because that would cost money and nobody would approve that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I was like do you want me to fedex some poo poo versus spending my time and the client's money on pointless flights there would be a whole line of people ready to approve the expense and I would have done it already myself

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
But they were happy to approve the cost of four flights rather than one

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Are we sure KillHour’s job is even real? Feels more like an elaborate experiment to see how much bullshit a person will put up with in return for an aggressively mediocre paycheck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is there any interest in and would people contribute to a global BFC FT thread Places to Eat database? If there is I will create one off of a google doc I already have

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sure. I’ll review all of the FBO vending machines I can for it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

Holy crap that lady next to me was so fat I couldn't put the armrest down.

I thought they now charged for anyone who used more than one seat?

Anytime I’m seated I always put the armrest down.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

I thought they now charged for anyone who used more than one seat?

Anytime I’m seated I always put the armrest down.

Nobody wants to be the one to bring it up so you have to bring it up yourself and hope there is an empty seat somewhere they can move you to.

I wish they'd just draw an easy line and say if you need a seat belt extension then you need to buy an extra seat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

Are we sure KillHour’s job is even real? Feels more like an elaborate experiment to see how much bullshit a person will put up with in return for an aggressively mediocre paycheck.

Not empty quoting this.

The real issue is that I bought the second flight before I knew I needed the first flight and changing it to a flight from LAX to LHR would have incurred a change fee on top of the shipping fees and that crap needs to be approved by the CEO and :suicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also the biggest problem is that clients don't get invoiced for the travel costs. We charge a flat rate and so the less the company spends on the actual travel, the more they get to keep as profit. That's why I have to get everything approved and am always expected to take the cheapest "reasonable" option.

If I get a more expensive hotel room or flight or something, the CEO sees it as me taking money out of his pocket.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 17, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Also the biggest problem is that clients don't get invoiced for the travel costs. We charge a flat rate and so the less the company spends on the actual travel, the more they get to keep as profit. That's why I have to get everything approved and am always expected to take the cheapest "reasonable" option.

If I get a more expensive hotel room or flight or something, the CEO sees it as me taking money out of his pocket.

Dang dude. Flat rate anything puts all the schedule and technical risk on the provider. Your company likes to live dangerously.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's training, not deployment. I teach 3 and 4 day technical classes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My point stands, for reasons like the silly itinerary you're doing now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah but it's not a risk for them, just for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We do flat rate for pro fees (some exceptions apply but 95% of billed time is not directly passed through) but charge out expenses.

sellouts posted:

Sure. I’ll review all of the FBO vending machines I can for it.

This is a strong brag

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hope no one was flying delta today through ATL

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Cacafuego posted:

Hope no one was flying delta today through ATL

My mother-in-law is tomorrow on an award ticket, no status. Good luck ma!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/PhilKenSaban/status/942516674871398400

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Previous was my last week on-site for my project that's wrapping up and by a scheduling fluke I'm working remote this week instead of the travel being vice versa.

I dodged one hell of a bullet. Flying tomorrow is gonna suck for basically everyone across the country.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Failed Die Hard 2 attempt? :tinfoil:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is a strong brag

Thank you, thank you. (I still travel mostly commercial but new gig may have me travel less but same private opportunities)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is there any interest in and would people contribute to a global BFC FT thread Places to Eat database? If there is I will create one off of a google doc I already have

Yes please. My one solace and escape from my metal flying prison is good food.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where the hell is good to eat in London? I'm staying by the Tower of London, and both this trip and the last time I was here, it was practically impossible to find good food. Not a big fan of Indian, but just about everything else is good.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Where the hell is good to eat in London? I'm staying by the Tower of London, and both this trip and the last time I was here, it was practically impossible to find good food. Not a big fan of Indian, but just about everything else is good.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g186338-d187547-Tower_of_London-London_England.html

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KillHour posted:

I was just in London and I'll see if I can think of any good restaurants but I went to 2 bars that had food and were an amazing experience. The first is called the Oriole and it's in the basement of some Market it's a bit hard to find so ask we Google the directions and walked around for like 10 minutes until we asked the cop it has some of the most interesting cocktails that I've ever seen I'll see if I can post some pictures of the menu when I get into the office and they have a live jazz band. There's a 5-pound cover to get in the door but it is totally worth it when they see you as to sit at the bar because they make the cocktails in front of you and it's really cool to watch a guy squeezes out octopus juice and other random stuff. They also have a full-blown Garden that covers a portion of the bar that they use for all of their garnish the cocktails were amazing in the band was pretty good as well the bartenders are also fairly friendly and we'll explain whatever they're making.

The other place we went was called Gordon's Wine Vault which was packed although it was a Friday or Saturday night that we visit it and it is again another basement type deal it doesn't look like much from the outside but when you go downstairs off the street you enter like a little Courtyard type Weingartenwine garden and then there's a second staircase that leads down into the basement where they serve platters and you can get bottles of wine

Also the British can drink I felt like I was in college again everybody there just gets hammered

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

The only non-indian palatable food/restaurants in london is italian (when you're sick of eating fish and chips).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Man, I totally didn't think of this and my issue is that I can't use Google, not that all the highly rated places I've been going to are total poo poo. Thanks for that.

Waroduce: Thanks, I'll check that out. Love a good cocktail.

Motronic posted:

The only non-indian palatable food/restaurants in london is italian (when you're sick of eating fish and chips).

I can totally believe this. :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's Chipotle in London now, you might give them a try.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

There's Chipotle in London now, you might give them a try.

Fly half way around the world for a fast food burrito.

:sad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Fly half way around the world for a fast food burrito.

:sad:

Yeah good point, your boss gets wind of that and they'll think you're living way too high on the hog. Better stick to vending machines.

These last two posts have not been serious, fyi.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Yeah good point, your boss gets wind of that and they'll think you're living way too high on the hog. Better stick to vending machines.

These last two posts have not been serious, fyi.

I'll admit, I laughed out loud in front of my class. Oh no, they're going to take my company Android away and give me a flip phone now. :ohdear:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
If you want lunch that isn’t in a pub see if there is a Fuzzy Grubs near you. It’s a complete roast dinner on a big roll sandwich.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Sit at the bar in Oriole don't take a table

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I feel like this website of reviews is going to be a bad idea if people are throwing out TripAdvisor links with Wagamama as the 6th suggestion and poo poo.

I will submit, in any order:

Barrafina - Spanish Tapas
Duck Soup - simple, minimalist Euro with weird wines
Morito - Tapas
Locanda Locatelli - Italian
Frenchie - Covent Garden - French but not nearly as good as the one in Paris (or the bar across the street)
Mildred’s - vegetarian, shockingly not bad veggie burrito ( I know, I killed a client for ordering mexican in London given he’s from SD and I am from TX but it wasn’t bad)

I have several more at home but I can’t recall them.

Also get a drat cocktail in the American bar at the Savoy. It’s expensive but their history is rad. Also it’s the only street in London where drivers drive on the right hand side.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can we just have a sharable and editable google doc/excel broken into perhaps States or Countries for different sheets?

or one sheet for the us and one for international

something like

State|City|Name|Notes|

Some controllable way to sort out Drinks, Happy Hour, Food, Bar, Lounge idk.

like a significant amount of us professionally use excel can we figure this poo poo out

e: or if we cant have nice things lets nominate someone (not me) to take submissions and publish a non editble google doc/excel