Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

GreenNight posted:

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA9KB6A82304

LG OLED65B7A

$2149.00

Use eBates for 1.5% cash back.

Ohhh myyyy goddddddd I want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

From your first post, I'd honestly say go with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5KGXUX

It's only 22", but it claims its 1080p IPS with full array LED backlighting.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
Thank you for your help. My dad and I saw http://www.kmart.com/polaroid-24inch-720p-60hz-led-hdtv/p-012W009883720001P?plpSellerId=Kmart&prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6 at my local Kmart which led to us thinking about getting something to replace the TV we have upstairs.

Also, is https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105971-Component-Digital-Converter/dp/B0034HWQ4Y the equivalent of this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2 ?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My daughter broke my father in law's TV and I want to buy them a new one, but they have this preposterous entertainment center which maximally accommodates, like, a 45 inch TV. They don't sell OLEDs that small, what should I spring for?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My daughter broke my father in law's TV and I want to buy them a new one, but they have this preposterous entertainment center which maximally accommodates, like, a 45 inch TV. They don't sell OLEDs that small, what should I spring for?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UN40MU7000-40-Inch-Ultra/dp/B06XG7B871

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's some Sony 43" models.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Why bother with OLED unless your dad really cares about black levels?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Speleothing posted:

Why bother with OLED unless your dad really cares about black levels?

It's entirely possible he wants an IPS panel, its hard to choose for someone unless you know their use case(s).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The guy is a professional photographer but bizarrely doesn't really show any enthusiasm about his TV whatsoever. I wanted to replace it with something nice given that my daughter destroyed his. OLED is just where my head goes as "best visual quality."

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am going to buy a TV. It will be used primarily for movies and TV (streaming, and possibly Blu-ray), and maybe some gaming. I last had a TV 10 years ago and it was a 22" CRT with a builtin VHS player. Right now I use a 21" iMac. My primary concern is around size and viewing distance. I am leaning towards getting an LG OLED55B6P. I am moving into a new place, so I don't have the exact layout, but I would be sitting ~7' away. The room is somewhat small (11' x 14'), so I don't want a TV that looks comically large. I'd like to mount it on the wall, if that make a difference in scale/perception.

Right now I have an old 2-channel Onkyo receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I will plan to replace at least the receiver at some point, but is there a way to make it work in the meantime? Do I just use some HDMI-to-RCA cable and it's good to go?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Toe Rag posted:

Right now I have an old 2-channel Onkyo receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I will plan to replace at least the receiver at some point, but is there a way to make it work in the meantime? Do I just use some HDMI-to-RCA cable and it's good to go?

I don't think that TV has any analog sound outputs, only digital optical. So unless your receiver has an optical input or uses ARC/HDMI, your best bet is to try some kind of digital-to-analog RCA converter. There are a lot of them on Amazon. I tried the one linked below for a short while and it worked OK for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZXWHJA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I could have sworn this thread was being updated and had recommendations in the OP. But I see that hasn't been done in four years. Earlier this year I saw a thread that did have those recs. Is there another TV thread somewhere?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I could have sworn this thread was being updated and had recommendations in the OP. But I see that hasn't been done in four years. Earlier this year I saw a thread that did have those recs. Is there another TV thread somewhere?

rtings.com

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No, it was here on the forums somewhere. I remember it because the Samsung KS9000 (or something like that) was recommended for gaming.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

No, it was here on the forums somewhere. I remember it because the Samsung KS9000 (or something like that) was recommended for gaming.

rtings.com

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've never been to rtings.com so that's not where I read this. :p

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I've never been to rtings.com so that's not where I read this. :p

What exactly are you looking for? The KS was last year’s model.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also I don’t think anyone would recommend the 9000 over the 8000. Not here anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Variable 5 posted:

What exactly are you looking for? The KS was last year’s model.

Just the thread that had current recommendations so I can go read about other things. I looked at that site you mentioned and it is pretty thorough. Also checked wirecutter and they are recommending a brand I have never even heard of. So, yeah..

Thinking of going 4k for Black Friday. Something w/ low input lag.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
The rtings.com sections for input lag / HDR / gaming are the most useful, good sources of information and closely resemble the current advice given here.

Just don't buy the KS9000 (EU: KS8000) :cripes: Currently the Sony 900/930 models hold the crown for gaming iirc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh God, I just started playing Stardew Valley and based on everyones saying how addictive it is and the size of the HUD that never bloody moves and is on screen 90% of the time gives me real burnin fear on my OLED. When the screen goes to black it's always showing signs of IR for it. Bad design, game idiots.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a B7P OLED and I've played games with a constant HUD for many hours and have yet to experience any burn in.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Famous last words. Burn in is real!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

yomisei posted:

The rtings.com sections for input lag / HDR / gaming are the most useful, good sources of information and closely resemble the current advice given here.

Just don't buy the KS9000 (EU: KS8000) :cripes: Currently the Sony 900/930 models hold the crown for gaming iirc.

Is TCL good? Are they some young upstart company that is going above and beyond at the moment?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TomR posted:

Famous last words. Burn in is real!

Oh crap, that's the same model as my TV too!

GreenNight posted:

I have a B7P OLED and I've played games with a constant HUD for many hours and have yet to experience any burn in.

My old housemate played hooooours of Battlefield 2 on my plasma when it was fairly new, and that loving bullet counter took me a long, long time to get out. IR not burn, but it's just bringing back bad memories.

At least it's on the switch so I can just have the excuse to play it on the console itself, but they could've at least made it so the hud switches sides each day or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would be wary of any red, yellow, or green HUD elements in games on an OLED. We're seeing pretty compelling evidence of burn in onset in the 300-500 hour range of those elements, especially when OLED light is above 60.

White is generally fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh crap, that's the same model as my TV too!

My old housemate played hooooours of Battlefield 2 on my plasma when it was fairly new, and that loving bullet counter took me a long, long time to get out. IR not burn, but it's just bringing back bad memories.

At least it's on the switch so I can just have the excuse to play it on the console itself, but they could've at least made it so the hud switches sides each day or something.

If it was a long long time then it was burn in. IR should go away after a few minutes of something else on the screen.

Burn in can fade over time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

Is TCL good? Are they some young upstart company that is going above and beyond at the moment?

There is a 55" model that people in here are recommending the crap out of.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

I would be wary of any red, yellow, or green HUD elements in games on an OLED. We're seeing pretty compelling evidence of burn in onset in the 300-500 hour range of those elements, especially when OLED light is above 60.

White is generally fine.

It uses a kinda rustic palette - it's the thing in the top right, the bar at the bottom moves around a bit at least so it's not aaaaas bad and I didn't see it retaining during the save screen.

Luckily I don't game a ton so I doubt I'll have real issues, but I know some people sink hours into this without realising the whole evening is gone.

And yeah I crank the OLED light pretty high, like in the 90s while everything else is more reserved.

Don Lapre posted:

If it was a long long time then it was burn in. IR should go away after a few minutes of something else on the screen.

Burn in can fade over time.

Interesting, I thought IR could hang around for days. I think I did 2 overnight color cycles and finally got rid of it (beyond any paraonia that I could still 'see' it).

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I've got the 55" with HDR, the input lag is low, I like the Roku, the optical out feeds into my aging sound system to give me 5.1 from the Streaming apps, and it was cheap. There are better TVs, just not at this price point.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Phuzun posted:

I've got the 55" with HDR, the input lag is low, I like the Roku, the optical out feeds into my aging sound system to give me 5.1 from the Streaming apps, and it was cheap. There are better TVs, just not at this price point.

Do you watch sports on it? The one thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger is that motion/uniformity (allegedly) makes things like sports look weird. I'd prefer not to spend twice as much if I don't have to.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

General E posted:

Do you watch sports on it? The one thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger is that motion/uniformity (allegedly) makes things like sports look weird. I'd prefer not to spend twice as much if I don't have to.

Nope, don't watch any sports.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Stranger things S2 is in Dolby Vision gently caress yeah let’s go

I cry with joy as I watch this show

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dolby Vision > 4K + HDR?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dolby Vision is HDR. It's dynamic though and should generally yield better results than HDR10 on the TVs that support it.

What's annoying is Season One was apparently graded in DV as well, but Netflix never updated it for HDR like they did the Marvel shows.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

What's annoying is Season One was apparently graded in DV as well, but Netflix never updated it for HDR like they did the Marvel shows.

Ok, that makes sense. I watched S2E1 last night and the picture was so much better compared to S1.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm considering saving up for the Sony XBR55X900E, which going by rtings.com doesn't seem like a bad buy at all for its price tag. Anyone here familiar with the model?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's the goon recommended step up model.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh, hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This TV choosing lark is confusing. Taking my budget into consideration (up to £750), i've got a choice between the Samsung MU6400 or Sony XE7073.

Whilst no one can tell me which one to get, I was wondering if there is anyone with any anecdotal experience with either one. I'm leaning towards the Sony as I prefer the design, but if there is anything in particular that stands out as good/bad in either one, that would make my choice easier!

Mostly general use, for gaming, streaming, movies and watching normal TV...

Cheers xxx