Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Good luck.

I could use some myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CarForumPoster posted:

Companies often put way more requirements in the listing than they actually get with the people they hire. That said...

1) Depends on the circumstance. Whats the requirement and what are we substituting for that "requirement"?

2) If what youre offering for that isn't much of a jump, I'd highlight what you have and NOT highlight what you dont. If its a big jump, how do you derisk you as a candidate lacking that? Then say youre doing that.

The requirement is "analytical experience in the insurance industry" for a regulatory compliance position. I've never worked in the insurance industry, so I was planning to push my experience ensuring the activities I oversee are run in compliance with regulations and standards. It feels like it lines up pretty well, but I'm not an HR rep so what do I know?

Pretty much every job I've been applying for is a big stretch because all my work experience is in the recreation industry. :shrug:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

Eh this happens a LOT and its a very minor flag that I might maybe ask about but wouldn't really put a ton of stock toward.

Sound, evidenced based advice:
That said, social media can be a huge opportunity. It is a mistake wasting it. I got my first post graduation engineering gig at a prestigious tech company by a recruiter finding my LinkedIn and reaching out. Didn't apply or anything until after a verbal offer had been made. I spent a LOT of time adding recruiters in many fields and areas and making my LinkedIn seem very professional with projects, photos and reviews.

More theoretical advice but might set you apart and I believe it did so for me:
I don't try to hide my Facebook. I think the people who do are making a mistake. Remember that in hiring you they're hiring you for more than technical ability. They want you to be part of a team and your Facebook can be used to derisk you as a candidate in this regard by showing you leave your house and are funny or interesting.

So I decided on an image I could craft with the pictures I had that reflected someone they wanted to work with. My image was "charismatic car guy that girls like". Now you should know, I am short and a little overweight and a nerd including about cars. To execute on this I made sure none of my posts were public and then allowed images that supported the narrative public. It was a bunch of picture of me looking like a nerd swing dancing with beautiful girls, then me covered in transmission fluid and at the local drag strip. I believe that multiple interviewers looked at these and felt more comfortable with me as a result. When asked about what I liked to do I talked about the thing they already KNEW I liked to do. I also had all the years and months of jobs on Facebook line up with my LinkedIn.

EDIT: I'd be remiss if I didn't say it's also a potent liability if you do it wrong. Absolutely no political posts. Absolutely no images of you being drunk or doing stupid or illegal stuff. No hints of drug use at all (dreads, bob marley posters, innocuous stuff can be interpreted that way). Consider whats in the backgrounds. Delete comments that dont support your narrative. Etc. etc. You want them to project their own biases on you that you run through the filter of this clean social media image. You then confirm those in an interview. If you can't do that, hide your social media.
Counterpoint: Do you want to work for someone who cares about Facebook?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't even have a LinkedIn and if I can go my whole career without one I'll die a happy man.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't even have a LinkedIn and if I can go my whole career without one I'll die a happy man.

Why? It's a way to keep up with people you might want to work with again. A way to find and make yourself discoverable for jobs you might never have seen.

It's pretty useful.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Why? It's a way to keep up with people you might want to work with again. A way to find and make yourself discoverable for jobs you might never have seen.

It's pretty useful.
Firstly, I don't like engaging any kind of social media (I wouldn't treat these forums as "social media" in the same way something like facebook or twitter is, where you have a defined space that's "yours"). Secondly, I enjoy not getting pestered by recruiters; I don't want to be discoverable. Thirdly, I have no trouble keeping up with people I worked with (because I still talk to them through any number of other channels). Fourthly, every time I've chosen to go on the job hunt I've had zero issue doing that by just leveraging my existing social contacts and tech-based search sites like Built In Chicago. Fifthly, I enjoy keeping my life support systems operating with minimal effort and adding a new thing I have to manage sounds awful. Finally, I'm quickly getting to the point where I actually make more money than I know what to do with so it's not as though I'm missing out on potentially lucrative career upgrades - money is quickly becoming less of a primary motivator to me.

In short, LinkedIn offers me nothing I want and several things I don't want.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dik Hz posted:

A very valid counterpoint, but beggars can't be choosers and unfortunately a lot of job seekers are going to be beggars for a while.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Hoodwinker posted:

Firstly, I don't like engaging any kind of social media (I wouldn't treat these forums as "social media" in the same way something like facebook or twitter is, where you have a defined space that's "yours"). Secondly, I enjoy not getting pestered by recruiters; I don't want to be discoverable. Thirdly, I have no trouble keeping up with people I worked with (because I still talk to them through any number of other channels). Fourthly, every time I've chosen to go on the job hunt I've had zero issue doing that by just leveraging my existing social contacts and tech-based search sites like Built In Chicago. Fifthly, I enjoy keeping my life support systems operating with minimal effort and adding a new thing I have to manage sounds awful. Finally, I'm quickly getting to the point where I actually make more money than I know what to do with so it's not as though I'm missing out on potentially lucrative career upgrades - money is quickly becoming less of a primary motivator to me.

In short, LinkedIn offers me nothing I want and several things I don't want.

Well you sound like things are going well and best of luck with a well defined world view.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronash posted:

The requirement is "analytical experience in the insurance industry" for a regulatory compliance position. I've never worked in the insurance industry, so I was planning to push my experience ensuring the activities I oversee are run in compliance with regulations and standards. It feels like it lines up pretty well, but I'm not an HR rep so what do I know?

Pretty much every job I've been applying for is a big stretch because all my work experience is in the recreation industry. :shrug:

Hard to tell for me here. Way out of my area.

Eric the Mauve posted:

A very valid counterpoint, but beggars can't be choosers and unfortunately a lot of job seekers are going to be beggars for a while.

Dik Hz posted:

Do I want to work somewhere where the HR person googles candidates? Probably, a lot of them do that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

Do I want to work somewhere where the HR person googles candidates? Probably, a lot of them do that.
There's a wide gulf between googling candidates and dinging them for not having facebook for you to cyberstalk.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

There's a wide gulf between googling candidates and dinging them for not having facebook for you to cyberstalk.

Huh? I dont think that happens much??

If you have an opportunity to market yourself in a way that most employers don't even recognize as marketing, take it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm stuck in a frustrating new career trap.

I have a number of years experience, but it's not a direct path of entry-level, senior, manager, director etc. So jobs at that level aren't attainable.

But at the same time, companies would rather take their chance with a fresh graduate and train them to do things their way.

So, what the gently caress do I do? Uber?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Moneyball posted:

I'm stuck in a frustrating new career trap.

I have a number of years experience, but it's not a direct path of entry-level, senior, manager, director etc. So jobs at that level aren't attainable.

But at the same time, companies would rather take their chance with a fresh graduate and train them to do things their way.

So, what the gently caress do I do? Uber?

Career switches are a thing and maybe not quite as scary as people make them out to be. What have you been doing? Want to post a synopsis or resume?

The last mid-level developer-type I hired had spent most of his career as a bartender. Very few of my employees have the "typical" career path and that's probably pretty universal.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Is it your industry that doesn’t usually follow a traditional ladder of advancement, or just the place you work?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Is it your industry that doesn’t usually follow a traditional ladder of advancement, or just the place you work?

The industry (Software) and places I worked (Fintech, Manufacturing, IoT) are pretty typical, but the fact is you start digging into individuals and the people who stay in 1 career path moving from Junior/Int/Senior/whatever are outnumbered by people who may have done a switch at some point, are working in a career different than their degree, or who had different opportunities and paths than you'd typically see. I don't think this is unique.

I manage a team of mostly junior and intermediate developers/devopsy people/cloud sys adminy people so I probably get more exposure to some of the weird career paths than average but across teams I know tons of people who self-taught themselves into Java developers, shifted from entrepreneur to corp drone and back, gone from Charity funraiser to fintech Product Manager, freelance artist to UX designer etc.

I think sometimes people get caught up that if they make a switch or don't follow the "ideal" path they will be behind a curve and can't catch up, but that isn't really true. It's a waste to stay in something dead-end or that you'll burn out of anyway. And it's not like someone with 10 years of experience in a different field will be the exact same as your average 22 year old out of college. Knowing how to work with people, work on projects, prioritize your time and communicate are all important and make a difference.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Question as I continue interviews - "why are you looking to leave your current position" is very common.

Now, the REAL reason is "this company is a toxic work environment to the point where every department is so busy fighting with the others that we become the bad actor in every single relationship with our business partners" but I need to find a ~ * PROFESSIONAL * ~ thing to say.

Is "I disagree with our current direction" good or is that too much of a cop-out? :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Question as I continue interviews - "why are you looking to leave your current position" is very common.

Now, the REAL reason is "this company is a toxic work environment to the point where every department is so busy fighting with the others that we become the bad actor in every single relationship with our business partners" but I need to find a ~ * PROFESSIONAL * ~ thing to say.

Is "I disagree with our current direction" good or is that too much of a cop-out? :v:
Not enough of a cop-out. "I feel like I've learned everything I can, and I'm looking for an environment where I can grow."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah never directly say anything negative about your current or former employer in an interview. The answer is "I'm proud of what I've achieved there and I and my department have grown a lot together, but the opportunity at your company is the perfect time and place to take the next step."

If the interviewer's any good expect them to drill down on that and come prepared to explain accordingly.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shugojin posted:

"I disagree with our current direction" is going to get scrutinized. Because the job you're applying for might be heading the same direction.

Eric has the correct answer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shugojin posted:

Thanatosian posted:

Not enough of a cop-out.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah never directly say anything negative about your current or former employer in an interview.

This.

Also it is shocking how many people gently caress this up in a phone interview.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

Also it is shocking how many people gently caress this up in a phone interview.

It is hard to blame them for being honest. It might not be the Right Answer for The Game, but it's not shocking to me.

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

Mr_Schmoo posted:

A very long time ago, back when Doobie was a thing, there was a guy in SA Mart who provided resume writing assistance. I actually used him and it worked wonderfully (I heard that was impossible). He later lost his mind or left the country or something.

Can anyone recommend a resume writing service for me? I know that I can post it here, but I'd rather work with someone on it directly who can afford the time. It's fairly extensive and I'd like it to be reviewed with a jeweler's lens.

Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update on this. I used "Zipjob" & I feel it came out well. My previous resume was great for 2009, it had a lot of numbers and good action words, but it was three pages long. With the rewrite, I was able to knock it down to two and it looks much more minimalist. Their logic is that more recruiters use search algorithms to find you & it's best to include keywords to make the search easier. Does that seem right? Did I get hosed? I do have a phone interview tomorrow, so it seems to work.

As far as the experience goes, it is not personable. They seem to be copy/pasting what you give them and pretty much go with whatever you say. They definitely appear to be following a specific format. With the old writers, they asked a ton of questions, not so much here. I wasn't asked a single question and had to do most of the nitpicking myself.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Hi all, love this thread. Along with the negotiation thread it's been super helpful as I look to move positions. I have a bit of a unique question thanks to COVID that I could use a little guidance on.

Early in March I had applied for a job, had some really good internal contacts who championed me and a good phone screen, and was invited for an in-person interview. As COVID started changing everything, the in-person went to a video call, which then went to a hiring freeze and the application being put on hold in April. They had said that when their hiring freeze was lifted they would re-post the position and invite me back for an interview.

My question is, would it be weird to reach out to the hiring manager who I've been in contact with just to check in and keep them fresh in their mind? My gut is no, but I'm very new to this aspect of job hunting and don't want to overstep. I'm also not really sure what I should be saying too. Is it just something as simple as checking in to see how they're doing and restating my interest in the position? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but just interested in some other perspectives to put me at ease.

Thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have someone in that exact same position and they reached out about a month ago. It's not weird given the situation, and they might have some insight on timing. I would just send 1 email and if you get no answer then probably move on until they repost.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MagicCube posted:

Hi all, love this thread. Along with the negotiation thread it's been super helpful as I look to move positions. I have a bit of a unique question thanks to COVID that I could use a little guidance on.

Early in March I had applied for a job, had some really good internal contacts who championed me and a good phone screen, and was invited for an in-person interview. As COVID started changing everything, the in-person went to a video call, which then went to a hiring freeze and the application being put on hold in April. They had said that when their hiring freeze was lifted they would re-post the position and invite me back for an interview.

My question is, would it be weird to reach out to the hiring manager who I've been in contact with just to check in and keep them fresh in their mind? My gut is no, but I'm very new to this aspect of job hunting and don't want to overstep. I'm also not really sure what I should be saying too. Is it just something as simple as checking in to see how they're doing and restating my interest in the position? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but just interested in some other perspectives to put me at ease.

Thanks!
Not weird at all. One e-mail, no more than two lines. Give a generic pleasantry and then something like "I wanted to reach out to you and see if you had a better sense of the timeline for the sheep bugger position, now that things are slowly starting to reopen."

I wouldn't have high hopes for a useful response, but it can't hurt.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Great, thanks for the help both of you. I'll send along a quick email to the hiring manager. I still have my connections in the organization to keep in touch with as well past this email so that's another plus!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MagicCube posted:

Great, thanks for the help both of you. I'll send along a quick email to the hiring manager. I still have my connections in the organization to keep in touch with as well past this email so that's another plus!
Also, when the job is reposted, send an e-mail to the hiring manager. "I saw the sheep buggerer position was reposted. I would like to still be in consideration for this position. Do you still have my resume on hand, or would you like me to apply through the website again?"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Also, when the job is reposted, send an e-mail to the hiring manager. "I saw the sheep buggerer position was reposted. I would like to still be in consideration for this position. Do you still have my resume on hand, or would you like me to apply through the website again?"

Yeah, this is important. If they really liked you this will skip you to the front of the line.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

It is hard to blame them for being honest. It might not be the Right Answer for The Game, but it's not shocking to me.

It is completely possible to be honest without screwing up "don't say bad things about your former employer". The questions related to this can be summed up as "why did you and your last girlfriend break up"? The right answer is a polite way to say "none of your business, heres why I like you". NOT answering the question as asked is okay to do if the alternative is saying "she was a bitch/crazy/cheated on me".

Also to give the job seekers in the thread an idea of my experience with candidates and this rule, literally every time I've thought about "the thing they said wasn't that bad they do seem pretty qualified and okay as a person" they do something else to put me back in the "no" category. Its become one of the more reliable ways to weed out bad fits in a phone interview.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 10, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^Yep

Plus when we are setting a rule about "Don't badmouth previous employers", it's not to say that someone who can explain a bad situation calmly and rationally would be a red flag or whatever. It's that I've seen people start going down a "They Totally Hate Me, Nothing Is My Fault" path. This is a bad, bad look. We've all worked with this kind of person and regretted it.

Because the employer/employee relationship is unfortunately emotionally charged sometimes, it's better to keep comments positive-to-neutral in an interview setting. Some variation of "I think my career path would be better suited here" is probably true anyway.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"My previous employer insisted I commit fraud." - SA forums poster Moneyball, 2019

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So I just got terminated from a 2nd position in the 2.5 years I have been working out of college. First job was a poo poo place that ground me into the dirt, the latest job wasn't happy with my performance after 4 months. What I want to know is, how hosed is my resume now. Is it all that uncommon for new grads to have a couple jobs on their resume?

I'm just so tired of being unemployed. It shouldn't be that hard to be an accountant in the USA.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I don't think anyone would spot a pattern in 2 jobs in 2.5 years. How long were you at the first one?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

I don't think anyone would spot a pattern in 2 jobs in 2.5 years. How long were you at the first one?

About 1 yr and 10 months. This latest one about 4 months.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So your work history is:

(How long after graduating did you go before starting your first job?)

ABC Corp, 22 months

(gap of ~3 months?)

XYZ Corp, 4 months

Right?

Looking at that from a hiring manager perspective, yeah, I'm concerned about that, and if I interview you I'll be grilling you about your roles at these companies and the circumstances of your departures from them. I don't think it necessarily sinks you, but you'd best be prepared to give good answers to these questions.

The good news for you personally is that losing your job in the spring of 2020 is nothing unusual, lots of people are in that boat, and unless you royally pissed someone off at your last employer it's probably not readily known to future prospective employers that you were fired for performance reasons; it'll be easy to assume that you were just a casualty of 2020. (Don't straight-out lie about it if asked, though: your screener/interviewer might already know the truth, or be able to fact-check afterward.)

You also need to--and if you need to unwind for a few days before you can approach this in the right frame of mind, please do--take a good hard look at your career to date, as objectively as you can, and identify the areas you need to improve at. Was your performance really poor? If so, in what particular ways? If not, it can only mean people tend to dislike you, and you should consider what can be done to improve in that area.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

So your work history is:

(How long after graduating did you go before starting your first job?)

ABC Corp, 22 months

(gap of ~3 months?)

XYZ Corp, 4 months

Right?

Looking at that from a hiring manager perspective, yeah, I'm concerned about that, and if I interview you I'll be grilling you about your roles at these companies and the circumstances of your departures from them. I don't think it necessarily sinks you, but you'd best be prepared to give good answers to these questions.

The good news for you personally is that losing your job in the spring of 2020 is nothing unusual, lots of people are in that boat, and unless you royally pissed someone off at your last employer it's probably not readily known to future prospective employers that you were fired for performance reasons; it'll be easy to assume that you were just a casualty of 2020. (Don't straight-out lie about it if asked, though: your screener/interviewer might already know the truth, or be able to fact-check afterward.)

You also need to--and if you need to unwind for a few days before you can approach this in the right frame of mind, please do--take a good hard look at your career to date, as objectively as you can, and identify the areas you need to improve at. Was your performance really poor? If so, in what particular ways? If not, it can only mean people tend to dislike you, and you should consider what can be done to improve in that area.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't slow down and I kamikaze into new tasks. I keep making mistakes that could have been caught if I slowed down. I just hosed up carelessly too many times. I'm generally an anxious person (depression and anxiety diagnosed woohoo)

My previous boss was actually really sad because she loved me as a person but my performance was just not good and my knowledge/experience didn't fit the role as well as she hoped. She wants to get in touch next week and said she would be happy to give a reference/letter of introduction. So it's definitely not bad blood. (The first job though was bad though)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I def would, but such is life. Get a new job ASAP, also you can always blame it on COVID and downsizing.

Expect questions about this and prepare answers. Try to make it at least 3 years in your next job.

Late EDIT: Also it prob matters what your background here is. If you completed an accounting bachelors, people will afford you more slack because you did actually accomplish the thing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 12, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I wouldn't for someone new in their career. People bounce around a lot when they're starting out. I would definitely ask a lot of questions about it. But I wouldn't ding or pass over a candidate for it if they had good explanations.

Honestly, someone who's self aware enough to say, "I tried to move too fast and made mistakes because of it" is actually a positive if I'm hiring for a position that moves fast and is OK with some mistakes. Doubly so if they recognize the problem and I have things in place to help them not make mistakes.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Perhaps only tangential to this thread, but I'm curious: a friend swears up and down that their employer was able to see that they were open to recruiters on linkedin, even though it's supposed to hide it from your company.

I can believe that linkedin screws up this kind of thing but I wonder if anyone else has run into or heard of this? I'm personally looking again (even though it's not a good time to do so) and was thinking of subjecting myself to open recruitment but I'm hesitant if it doesn't really hide your activity from your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

Perhaps only tangential to this thread, but I'm curious: a friend swears up and down that their employer was able to see that they were open to recruiters on linkedin, even though it's supposed to hide it from your company.

I can believe that linkedin screws up this kind of thing but I wonder if anyone else has run into or heard of this? I'm personally looking again (even though it's not a good time to do so) and was thinking of subjecting myself to open recruitment but I'm hesitant if it doesn't really hide your activity from your job.
My gut tells me that if your company is doing research on you and will attack you like an abusive partner when it finds out you're interested in moving away from the relationship that you've got a pretty good reason to expedite your job search process.