Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How does that change things?

Also, what's the big deal about your lights beyond on slightly more often than strictly necessary? It's not really a problem in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PT6A posted:

How does that change things?

Also, what's the big deal about your lights beyond on slightly more often than strictly necessary? It's not really a problem in any way.

I've got no issue with lights being on more often, it's less of a complaint and more of an observation.

Only difference for the poor excuses for tunnels we have around here is that you're in and out in about a couple seconds so visibility isn't really an issue. As in I can clearly see the exit of the tunnel from the entrance. In this case I wouldn't say it's necessary to turn your lights on for such a short and relatively high visibility case. But this also means I'm deprived of the fun of giving a good rev and listening to the echo :(

Plus, in the frozen north daylight running lights are a requirement so visibility is not an issue. I'm hugely in favor of DRL's too as it really helps cars stand out and you can spot them from a much farther distance. And in this particular example if you don't need the lights to illuminate the road infront of you then the DRL's ensure you're visible to others. Arguments that it reduces bulb life are not really sound and even if we assume they're valid the costs associated with the extra bulb changes are negligible over the lifetime of the car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My GTI sport doesn’t have the auto light package, so I just leave them on more or less all the time since they auto off with the car.

Does anyone else have the keyless option for their GTI? Mine doesn’t appear to be auto locking like it should.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Warbird posted:

My GTI sport doesn’t have the auto light package, so I just leave them on more or less all the time since they auto off with the car.

Does anyone else have the keyless option for their GTI? Mine doesn’t appear to be auto locking like it should.

Mine doesn’t auto lock, which is what I prefer since I park it in my garage most of the time. I think it’s an option though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There’s a flag you can flip in the settings to enable it, but it either isn’t doing the thing or I’m not understanding the “rules” of it. History shows it’s likely the latter.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
Keep my lights on 100% of the time I am driving.

And in sad news I have to take my poor FiST into the dealer this week because the stereo and nav parts of the infotainment system decided to stop working.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I liked having my hid lights as running lights on my mk5 gti. Then after my central electronic module crapped itself the donor module had them turned off and I never got around to changing it back though I drive around with my headlights on most of the time anyway now instead. :effort:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda wish my car had daytime running lights- even on the package with the LED halos it doesn't actually use them as DRL. Was actually looking into how to make it happen recently and it seemed like more trouble than it was worth when I can just... turn on the headlights. Sometimes I forget, though. Really only super worried about it at dusk/dawn/lovely inclement weather but they really should just be on all the time.

Thinking about doing some tint on my silver FoST because it looks kinda boring to me at this juncture. Darkest you can do in Illinois on all the windows is 35% but was thinking I might go a little lighter so it doesn't mess with the visibility so much at night.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In Texas it would never occur to me to have a car without tint.

I got some bright-assed LED reverse lights which helps when backing up at night with darker tint.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is there anything else really worth doing/unlocking with OBDeleven on a 17 Sport? I shut off the soundaktor but didn't notice a big difference since I keep it in normal mode 99% of the time. I saw there's some diff setting for increased traction that I will try out but otherwise I dunno if I'm missing much else.

Most info I see is from dudes having no idea what the settings actually do and saying they noticed a difference (DSG adapt) and saying it reverts eventually. Wonder if it's placebo stuff in the first place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is it the same stuff as VCDS? I put the doors and sunroof to open/close with the fob.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

Is there anything else really worth doing/unlocking with OBDeleven on a 17 Sport? I shut off the soundaktor but didn't notice a big difference since I keep it in normal mode 99% of the time. I saw there's some diff setting for increased traction that I will try out but otherwise I dunno if I'm missing much else.

Most info I see is from dudes having no idea what the settings actually do and saying they noticed a difference (DSG adapt) and saying it reverts eventually. Wonder if it's placebo stuff in the first place.

Enable FOB while engine is on
Disable Door Open/Ignition Tone
Short Alarm honk on Arm
Hill Hold Assist Adjustment
Urban Joke Tail lights

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is it the same stuff as VCDS? I put the doors and sunroof to open/close with the fob.

Pretty much.

Thanks. I'll probably mess with some of those and maybe the XDS and diff settings. Maybe interior lighting to see if I like it better with that stuff off.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I have posted this once before but I keep putting off finding a home for these things. Despite the season being over, If you're in the Maryland / Delaware / PA area, I have a entire set of Blizzaks mounted on plain steel wheels that can be yours for $50 bucks. I live near the Delaware Beaches, and these will fit in a ST with the seats folded own. I used these for one season previously before I sold my ST last year when I moved to DE.

I bought these when I lived in Baltimore where there was significantly more snow. They have sat in my insulated garage off the floor so they are in good shape still (good tread, no curb rash/bubbling).

If no one here wants them, Im just gonna throw these on Craigslist for peanuts, but Id rather give a good deal to someone on here for next season.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Uhh tire size? How much tread is left?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Etrips posted:

Uhh tire size? How much tread is left?

215/50R-17 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS80 XL tires

17X7 5-108 steel wheels

Dont have a tread depth gauge, but I'll amend this post with some photos with the ol' penny test for you or anyone interested when I get off.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

Parts going in hopefully before friday for weekend test n tune...

Dumb question. Does a Quaife or similar help on rough surfaces where one wheel gets bounced off the road (in a fwd)?
I never feel like I need more corner exit grip (on public roads) but occasionally get the situation where one wheel is deflected due to the stiff suspension and power to the ground is lost.
Lighter wheels/more damping is probably a better solution but curious if an LSD would be an advantage.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I believe wavetrac is the diff you want in that situation. Has a special locker mechanism to deal with one powered wheel being off the ground.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Quaife slips on lift. Might check cusco too.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Updated tune, lsd, clutch/flywheel, forge wastegate, and brake lines are in. The tune and waste gate makes power so much smoother, more, and no waste gate flutter now. The lsd is huge and makes even the all seasons stick full throttle and just claws out of turns.

Cant wait to justify hoosiers, wide body, cts v brakes, and engine with rods n pistons to go with the stuffed turbo. An extra 80whp will be great.

Time to strip hitch and rear seats before next autocross. Also can run more camber and less sway bar. Hope to be top of class this year or next.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was serious when I said call Carbotech or G-Loc. They will put any compound they make on any backing plate, if you ask. CTS-V brakes are just extra weight for AX.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You think the material will be that big of a difference vs a 1 pot brake caliper and 20% smaller? I would like to stay on 17's...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In S2000 world we have undersized brakes once you start getting to about spec Miata times, generally resulting in cooking rear wheel bearings and cracking front rotors to the edge in 5-8 days, so everyone moves to a Stoptech ST40 kit since you actually save money if you're tracking >15 days a year.

I have a difficult time believing you're going to see a benefit in the CTS-V calipers on a car that doesn't see 20-30 minute open track sessions quite often. If you look around at a lot of serious mod AX cars they run less brake mass than stock to save the weight. More aggressive pads make a massive difference, and what you really actually gain by moving to larger calipers/rotors is consistency late in track sessions and reduced consumable cost, not so much less stopping distance.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^ agreed. You don't need more than pads for autox. CTS-V brakes (gen 1) have like 14" rotors, they're loving massive. Even though the calipers are (I think?) aluminum, you're going to gain a lot of weight, have to have at least 18's, and have to have special rotors (assume you use CTS-V ones and redrill because they're all 6 lug) so that will suck when it comes time for replacements.

They sure will fill out the area behind the spokes, though. :v:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Well the car is slowly turning into a track car. The cts v caliper opens up lots of pad options and you run a evo rotor so no need to drill. The 18" rim is stock and would be required to clear and for tire sizing later.

The weight should be negligible at 2700lbs and 320whp car?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Well the car is slowly turning into a track car. The cts v caliper opens up lots of pad options and you run a evo rotor so no need to drill. The 18" rim is stock and would be required to clear and for tire sizing later.

The weight should be negligible at 2700lbs and 320whp car?

The mass that's added is rotating mass, the worst kind. I obviously don't know what it will be compared to stock, but you can usually feel the difference with very lightweight wheels vs. OEM, so similar thing here. You mention autox and also "track car" so which is it? One or the other or both? For autox it will be pointless and not gain you anything, and probably somehow bump you into a stupid class if you're not already there with power and diff upgrades. For track stuff yeah it might be better but for such a light car do you know if you'll need upgraded brakes? Not sure how popular your car is for track day bros and if there's any words of wisdom on nasa or your make/model forum of choice. As said, if you can get carbotech to make you some good pads, those could be enough and much cheaper. I'd find out before spending money, but that's just me. I don't know how much the CTS-V calipers will skew your brake balance either, so something to think about and check into.

I put the autodimming/homelink mirror in my GTI today and holy poo poo what a pain in the dick it is to get the A pillar trim off. The clips have these barbs on them that once they're into the frame of the car they aren't coming off unless you bend the gently caress out of them. My hands took a beating for such a simple interior job.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Well I want to start doing some HPDE days. The stock brakes are 11.8" and the cts-v would be 13.6". Stocks are known for fading even with porterfield r4s pads and motul fluid. The cts caliper will be cast aluminum 6 pot vs a single pot cast steel.

The stock 18x7.5 wheels are around 26lbs a piece but would move to an 18x9.5 that would be closer to 22lbs. My autocross rims are 17x9 and at 20lbs now.

Need to get the 82 300d running still.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just drive one tenth slower or pull in one or two laps earlier, you're not winning any trophies at a HPDE

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
True but may drive out for some of the pacific hot hatch series later and checking out hallet more with an instructor. The cost of stoptech rotors and porterfield r4s pads is $280 vs like $900 for cts v calipers, pads, and rotors. It isn't a huge cost to look at.

I can start taking temps on the rotors at autocross to get an idea how hot things are getting especially when running a 245 a7.

Also i'I'll be roughly 130whp/tq over stock.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're going to vaporize the R4S, it's not a track pad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how much are brake ducts for that car

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I think it would be dyi. Shouldnt be too difficult, just removing the fog lamp, hole saw the shroud, weld on metal pipe, and routing the duct.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

how much are brake ducts for that car

About $3.00 a piece according to Menard's
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...92703914555.htm

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Well thats cheap as chips, surely he can afford that with the money he's saving keeping the 350z in the garage and not driving it and paying insurance.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you have the code for the mirror dip you used? Mine dips but I couldn’t get it to go back up.

I don't know how to get it the code, I just picked the app from the OBDEleven menu. I did noticed mine staying down but if you turn the mirror adjustment knob back to the center position the mirror should come back up, though mine has come up too far a couple of times and to be honest it goes down too far as well. The notes have some instructions in case it doesn't work right away including 'enable mirror dip from the car display' but I haven't searched out the setting yet.

Says (roughly) "If it doesn't work turn off ignition, then set mirror adjust to center, then turn on ignition, then set mirror to R and put transmission in R, then lower the mirror to where you want it, then take car out of reverse, then kill ignition.

Warbird posted:

I can understand the appeal, but that would squarely fall into stark terror for me. Might be fun to try and learn to drift though.

Another GTI flashed his lights at me as he passed. Is this what it’s like to have a Miata?

This is the only car I've had where other owners will point and grin, though plenty of them are too cool to be bothered or don't know that this is a thing. To be fair I've owned six cars and my two VWs were the only new ones, I never expected a wave in my 15-year-old Suburban or my $250 '91 Blazer (miss both of them a lot, but not the mileage.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
code:
To enable lock/unlock power folding mirrors with key fob:
[09] Central Electronics
[16] Security Access - Code is 31347, click "Do it!"
[10] Adaptation, choose from the drop down channel
[23] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappen change to "active", click do it
[26] - Access control 2 - Menuesteuerung Funkspiegelanklappen change to “active”
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “by look command via remote control key”
Then in the car….
In the Media display
Click "Car"
"Setup"
"Mirrors & Wipers", select the option for “Fold away after parking.

To enable field lights on side mirrors:
[42] Door Electronics Driver Side
- Long Coding
-front_field_light --> active
-turn_off_front_field_light_with_folded_mirror --> active
[52] Door Electronics Passenger Side
- Long Coding
-front_field_light --> active
-turn_off_front_field_light_with_folded_mirror --> active

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Well thats cheap as chips, surely he can afford that with the money he's saving keeping the 350z in the garage and not driving it and paying insurance.

We've been driving it the last few months. I got some new tires for it to put on too. Trying to get the mercedes 300d axle half shafts changed, rubbers, and brakes done if the weather would cooperate.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FiSTing

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
How does the rear shelf not collapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's not that heavy, but I never realized how much space was under there until you mentioned it just now :v: