Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Verizian posted:

A slug would work pretty well in a Djentstick if you want cheap. All you need is a few clamps, a broom, one or two heavy gauge strings and a jack socket. Hell if you have a few basic tools you could probably make something a bit more ergonomic to play. Flatten off the "fingerboard" side enough to run two strings side by side, add a couple of tuners and draw little boobs/dongs in sharpie as fret markers for that extra touch of magic. Don't forget quality straplocks!

the thing with the djent stick is you gotta use emgs because they sound the same no matter what they're put into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i googled djentstick and this was one of the first images i found:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I've never heard it called a djent stick but I have heard of a diddley bow.

Also it bugs me when the video calls the output jack an input jack.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Come down to MS and you can get in our Afrobeat jams.

I actually signed up for kompoz.com but at the moment I do not have the recording equipment or software to meaningfully contribute, unless someone wants a tinny recording through a headset mic and edited in audacity. perhaps in the future but at the moment I'm limited to local gigs.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Anybody have any tips for making a B string on a bass sound better? If it's as simple as getting new strings I can do that, I just wanna know if there's anything else I can do before I drop money on buying a new set of tapes from bassstringsonline. I don't think it's my amp, the string still sounds kinda dead when I'm recording DI into my computer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
tune a 4 string down to baritone instead of playing a 5 string

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JHVH-1 posted:

I've never heard it called a djent stick but I have heard of a diddley bow.

related is the canjo

i made a bass one once with a 5 gallon bucket

and then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ydPW7vgTw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

tune a 4 string down to baritone instead of playing a 5 string

using a 5 string set and throwing away the E string (yes the E string) for a 4 string is the pro move imo

ElectricHeir posted:

Anybody have any tips for making a B string on a bass sound better? If it's as simple as getting new strings I can do that, I just wanna know if there's anything else I can do before I drop money on buying a new set of tapes from bassstringsonline. I don't think it's my amp, the string still sounds kinda dead when I'm recording DI into my computer.

what bass is it? pickups? active or passive? onboard eq or no? how old are the strings?

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Stux posted:

what bass is it? pickups? active or passive? onboard eq or no? how old are the strings?

Squier VM Jazz V, everything stock (passive) with 6 month old labella white tapewounds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stux posted:

using a 5 string set and throwing away the E string (yes the E string) for a 4 string is the pro move imo

I used to do this with the marcus miller DR set and motherfucker was that awesome.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

ThePutty posted:

i googled djentstick and this was one of the first images i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcpjY1KQhpM

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I used to do this with the marcus miller DR set and motherfucker was that awesome.

I didn't know there were Marcus Miller strings. Right now I'm using these:

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Stux posted:

wait, do you mean doing this with normal EADG tuning though? Are the strings not hella loose?

(brb, off to tune my a-string down to E to try this out)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Manky posted:

I didn't know there were Marcus Miller strings. Right now I'm using these:

FATBEAMS

http://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-Si...r+marcus+miller

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fair Hallion posted:

wait, do you mean doing this with normal EADG tuning though? Are the strings not hella loose?

No, that will sound like poo poo I imagine. Get a five string set, throw away the lightest gauge and tune BEAD.

ElectricHeir posted:

I don't think it's my amp, the string still sounds kinda dead when I'm recording DI into my computer.

Is it still sounding rough through a good quality, loud amp? Low notes on flats/tapes will sound dead through bad amps because you don't get the sparkly high harmonics so if you haven't got a big woofer pushing the fundamental it'll sound dead. If you've tried that and there's nothing mechanically wrong with it like dead frets or low action you could maybe try new strings but flats and tapes should last forever without dying really.

Worst case scenario it could be a dead spot, the low F# on my jazz just dies compared to any other note, but never heard of an entire string being a dead spot.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I just tried taking the string off and putting it back on and it sounded better with DI, so maybe it was twisted or something when I put it on last. Still kinda lovely sounding out of my amp, guess I should look into getting a new one. It's a Fender Bassman 60 that I picked up for about $150 as a poor student.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

mclast posted:

White Dog Eggs and I been in talks to make this a reality

gonna get my own station waguitar :3:

I still want this page 81

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ElectricHeir posted:

Squier VM Jazz V, everything stock (passive) with 6 month old labella white tapewounds.

I don't know a lot about tape wounds but they wouldn't be my first choice for low tunings/5 strings as they generally aren't very bright sounding. When I'm playing on my bass in low tunings I'll put the pickup blend halfway between bridge only and both together, high end dialed up and then EQed on the bass, amp or in the software to boost some of that click and sparkle and a bit of mid for some thunk. If you aren't married to tape wounds though I'd say try a standard set and see if that helps things.

Fair Hallion posted:

CGCF/AGCF is what we use in my band and I use that setup. The three standard strings have a bit of play in them for bends, the B string gives much needed stability to the low end and allows me to simply tune down for the A without losing tension.

darkwasthenight posted:

No, that will sound like poo poo I imagine. Get a five string set, throw away the lightest gauge and tune BEAD.

Nope I keep the lightest gauge, second heaviest gets chucked and I sit in drop C with a drop on the C string only to A for some songs.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The split pickguard is a little weird but I kinda dig it :ghost:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's really cool but every time i look at it i just think of how much of a weirdo he and cedric are

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
they're good weirdos though. Omar seems adorably nerdy :allears:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Omar is a good weirdo, but Cedric is a scientologist

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
there's only so much punishment a man's brain can take from heroin before his bad decisions become excusable

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This, I accept

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

this I will try next time I string my poor-rear end bass.
(Except I won't throw away the lightest gauge, I'll keep it in a drawer of bits, to one day build some sort of laughable franken-tar).

Here's something for all of you who love the simple traditional lines of a Telecaster. (well, ok... I admit it's been tweaked a little)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291263557082

lookit dat headstock

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

lookit dat headstock

Hope you don't like clip-on tuners!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Fair Hallion posted:

this I will try next time I string my poor-rear end bass.
(Except I won't throw away the lightest gauge, I'll keep it in a drawer of bits, to one day build some sort of laughable franken-tar).

Here's something for all of you who love the simple traditional lines of a Telecaster. (well, ok... I admit it's been tweaked a little)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291263557082

lookit dat headstock

Welp, wrap it up guys, this was fun, but I think this just took it home.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The best guitars are the ones that are ugly-pretty like that one, like if it was a plate or something it would look kind of nice on a shelf, but it's a guitar.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
My favorite bit is the little pickguard on top of another pickguard.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

"see seller's other items"... ok, let's have a look -

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I kinda like it. It's ugly. But I like it anyway.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

It looks like that seller is getting rid of his collection of pickguard-mounted-on-pickguard guitars :confused:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

One time at a used guitar store I saw some guitar covered in what seemed like at least 25 or 30 of those clunky little mechanical pushbuttons like you see on blenders from the '60s and '70s, and I kind of wish I'd had time to play with it and find out what those buttons were for. You know, this kind of buttons:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm going to guess they were tone toggles.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

One time at a used guitar store I saw some guitar covered in what seemed like at least 25 or 30 of those clunky little mechanical pushbuttons like you see on blenders from the '60s and '70s, and I kind of wish I'd had time to play with it and find out what those buttons were for. You know, this kind of buttons:

Google some "Teisco" guitars and marvel at your kitchen appliance buttons.

Edit;

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 20, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Clearly when you are playing guitar you want to emulate the next most similar device, a blender.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

unlawfulsoup posted:

Clearly when you are playing guitar you want to emulate the next most similar device, a blender.

So you've seen my fret work! :downsrim:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Those four pickups alone could probably net you a used SG or something.

Speaking of Omar and SGs.

Check out this modded one he's using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9jkruNd78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Those four pickups alone could probably net you a used SG or something.

Speaking of Omar and SGs.

Check out this modded one he's using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9jkruNd78

man i fuckin regret signing up for guitar club

i used to have a total boner for those chunky blender switch japanese guitars. i mean if i found one in good enough condition that i could make it reasonably playable, i wouldn't say no, just for the fact of how weird and funky they are, but every one ive had first hand experience with has been ruined from 20+ years sitting in an attic.

• Locked thread