Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, reskin an ogre or a hill giant if you just want a big thug man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a lich who's fallen on hard times

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, the idea of reskinning is not that you literally use anything as any other thing, it's that anythign can become something else.

The somethign else has to vaguely fit, or yeah, it's gonna be dumb.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm boggling at how people can have this much trouble with the concept, but let me try phrasing it in other ways.

It's bodging with existing libraries to save on bughunting time, instead of trying to make something from whole cloth.

Nobody needs to know your blueberry pie was made from an apple pie recipe that you just changed at a few key points.

You don't need to rebuild the engine just to do some bodywork. :iiaca:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Thanks for all the ideas. I get the idea behind reskinning, I'm just terrible at trying to explain it to someone who doesn't get it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yukari posted:

Thanks for all the ideas. I get the idea behind reskinning, I'm just terrible at trying to explain it to someone who doesn't get it.

"Pick a monster that does roughly what you want mechanically, and is the right level. Change the name of it and any attacks that don't make perfect sense for it to ones that match what you want it to be. Maybe change the damage type too. Use the right mini and description for the monster you want it to be."

Literally all you need. If they don't get it from that they're probably never going to no matter how much you explain.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Really Pants posted:

a lich who's fallen on hard times

They sound like they'd be friends with Elder Hardluck.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got a hold of Master Plan 11.11, as well as the link to the Compendium Importer. I can't figure out how to actually USE the Compendium Importer. I made an AddIns folder within Master Plan, and the only .DLL that came with CI was UTILS.DLL which didn't do anything.

Have these two pieces been completely broken apart or am I just missing something?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's been a while since I messed around with it, but from what I vaguely remember there's a decent chance the importer plain doesn't work anymore, either because the compendium changed structure or because the Masterplan guys got into trouble with WotC and had to disable the functionality, much like you can't transfer libraries between machines. I might be wrong though!

If you want my two cents on it: entering monster stat blocks manually in small chunks as needed for your next session, adding them to the same library as you go, goes faster than you might think and is a huge help in learning what your monsters do and how their abilities work.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm about to run a game in Fantasy Grounds using custom spritework, how good is map generation and macros? Is there a good source for tutorials.

Related, if you were to make an awakened duck in the game, how would you do it? Current working build is a Pixie Chargebarian.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
You need at least some charisma and a bit of heal, because he knows some things but he's mostly a bit of a quack

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Heal is a good one, charisma is a must because they're yakuza themed of course.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not judging your character choices but I definitely am gonna want to see that sprite

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not judging your character choices but I definitely am gonna want to see that sprite

WIP, looks like we're going hammer so that'll change, but:

This is an edit of an RPG Maker overworld Sprite I was linked by the player.

The other party members, also early WIPs:

Edit: sorry mechanically, the character is the least finished of the rest since the player had to leave early. I do hope the Yakuza theme applies to their style as well...

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 12, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there any good alternative to the offline character builder? Or a comprehensive troubleshooting guide for the builder?

My builder keeps crashing on boot and uninstalling then reinstalling did nothing...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah same.

Can’t get it to work on my mac and I make the characters for the whole party.

Let me tell you how Not Fun it is to make 4 level 18 characters by hand. With power cards. That you don’t even read, Ellyn, we’ve been playing for a year how do you not know how sneak attack works on your 18th level rogue. Ugh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doesn't it require .NET frameworks to run? That would explain the mac, they're available though: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download

And I seem to recall the crash-on-boot thing. I think I had to run it as admin? Is this just the builder or CBLoader? Cause last time I reinstalled the Loader gave me some similar trouble and googling the error revealed it was basically hosed.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's the builder for me, not juat through the loader.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I made a card for my player's first potential mount, and I wanted to know if I'm missing anything? It was tough fitting everything on here so I dropped initiative, since that'll be shared with the rider, and perception/insight, since those are just Wis mod.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Is there any good alternative to the offline character builder? Or a comprehensive troubleshooting guide for the builder?

My builder keeps crashing on boot and uninstalling then reinstalling did nothing...
Bit late on this, but I'm just googling requirements to send to a few buddies, and where do you have it installed? Apparently it doesn't play nice in the usual Program Files folder.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bit late on this, but I'm just googling requirements to send to a few buddies, and where do you have it installed? Apparently it doesn't play nice in the usual Program Files folder.

you need to install the legit character builder files from 2009, then the 2010 update files, then extract cbloader into your install directory, download http://cbloader.com/indexes/WotC.index and put it in the 'Custom' folder, then always run the program using CBLoader if you want all the added content.

If it's still not working then run the RegPatcher.exe that is in the program directory in administrator mode

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm assuming the old monster builder is dead and gone, but does anyone have any blank monster templates sitting around that I could fill out?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Masterplan has a monster builder built into it IIRC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moriatti posted:

So I made a card for my player's first potential mount, and I wanted to know if I'm missing anything? It was tough fitting everything on here so I dropped initiative, since that'll be shared with the rider, and perception/insight, since those are just Wis mod.

*its

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zeerust posted:

Masterplan has a monster builder built into it IIRC.

Apparently I don't know how this is supposed to work, I keep getting an index error. Are there index files I'll need? If so, I don't seem to be able to find them.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 8, 2018

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Sorry, I don't have Masterplan on my computer anymore! I don't think it needs an index file or anything, i think from the encounter builder there's a drop-down where you can create a new monster? It's definitely in there somewhere...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zeerust posted:

Sorry, I don't have Masterplan on my computer anymore! I don't think it needs an index file or anything, i think from the encounter builder there's a drop-down where you can create a new monster? It's definitely in there somewhere...
Oh, hey, I'm just an idiot. Was trying to make a new encounter.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, I've done about everything imaginable and it just won't open, I have a 3 month online sub and will probably get something like Herolab soon.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I figured I might let you all know I'm starting a 4e game on Discord and Fantasy Grounds, recruitment post here. Weird premise I know but I hope it'll be fun times.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Depending on how fancy you want to be, you can go anywhere from "just use the line tool and let your players fill in the blanks" to "buy professional mapmaking software". What I and our normal DM like to do is use spritesheets from old video games. She favors Fire Emblem, I'm partial to Shining Force. Still, same basic idea.

I'm so sorry that this is an ancient post, but I love this idea! How do I actually use the sheets though? Those linked sets come out looking like a mess

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm so sorry that this is an ancient post, but I love this idea! How do I actually use the sheets though? Those linked sets come out looking like a mess
Figure out the resolution your map program of choice resizes tiles to (usually 64x64, 100x100, or 128x128). Then use a png with a transparent background at that size so that the sprite is (mostly) centered, resizing by multiples of whole numbers (by nearest neighbor, not best quality/bicubic/etc.) until it fits as well as possible.

Example, let's pretend we're making an FE7 sprite for a map that uses 64x64 squares. (Also, 100 by 100, just for example of needed empty space.)

Here's an enemy sprite for Matt from FE7. I cut it out of the sheet, then cropped the empty space by shift-selecting it with the magic wand, inverting the selection, and then hitting crop. You can do it in other ways easily enough, I'm sure. What's important is that there aren't any extra pixels in height/width than there have to be. (This one was 18x35.)

Then, I expanded the canvas so it had the same height and width, with the sprite centered. (35x35). Making a 64 x 64, that's all you need to do, because resizing it by x2 would make it 70x70, so it would get auto-resized. Instead, I just resize the canvas again to 64 x 64, still centered, and I'm done, with Matt taking up a bit more than half the tile. Not ideal, but it's there.

Now, with a 100x100, I CAN double Matt's size, to 70x70. If I center this inside a 100x100 canvas, I get this:

128 x 128, I'd be able to x3 resize it, to 105x105, before expanding the canvas.

You have to do this with every individual sprite you make, but you could probably set up an irfanview script to do it with the individual normal-size sprite images, if you knew how. :shrug:

Edit: Or just throw a few bucks at someone like me who's already streamlined the process and can pound out a bunch for like $0.50 a sprite/background tile. (Though I don't know how legal or not that would be.)

Edit 2: And/or throw money at someone like me who dabbles in sprite editing and could smash together some edited ones for like $1 each. (More or less, depending on complexity.)

Here's Edgelord Silver Blackcloak, who took me like a minute and a half to :effort: a palette swap.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 14, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm getting warm fuzzy flashbacks to sprite comic times.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Figure out the resolution your map program of choice resizes tiles to (usually 64x64, 100x100, or 128x128). Then use a png with a transparent background at that size so that the sprite is (mostly) centered, resizing by multiples of whole numbers (by nearest neighbor, not best quality/bicubic/etc.) until it fits as well as possible.

Example, let's pretend we're making an FE7 sprite for a map that uses 64x64 squares. (Also, 100 by 100, just for example of needed empty space.)

Here's an enemy sprite for Matt from FE7. I cut it out of the sheet, then cropped the empty space by shift-selecting it with the magic wand, inverting the selection, and then hitting crop. You can do it in other ways easily enough, I'm sure. What's important is that there aren't any extra pixels in height/width than there have to be. (This one was 18x35.)

Then, I expanded the canvas so it had the same height and width, with the sprite centered. (35x35). Making a 64 x 64, that's all you need to do, because resizing it by x2 would make it 70x70, so it would get auto-resized. Instead, I just resize the canvas again to 64 x 64, still centered, and I'm done, with Matt taking up a bit more than half the tile. Not ideal, but it's there.

Now, with a 100x100, I CAN double Matt's size, to 70x70. If I center this inside a 100x100 canvas, I get this:

128 x 128, I'd be able to x3 resize it, to 105x105, before expanding the canvas.

You have to do this with every individual sprite you make, but you could probably set up an irfanview script to do it with the individual normal-size sprite images, if you knew how. :shrug:

Edit: Or just throw a few bucks at someone like me who's already streamlined the process and can pound out a bunch for like $0.50 a sprite/background tile. (Though I don't know how legal or not that would be.)

Edit 2: And/or throw money at someone like me who dabbles in sprite editing and could smash together some edited ones for like $1 each. (More or less, depending on complexity.)

Here's Edgelord Silver Blackcloak, who took me like a minute and a half to :effort: a palette swap.

Ah this is super helpful for the individual characters, thank you! To do the maps, do you have to do this with every like, square?

Like, one of the Shining Force maps looks like this from the zip you linked

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Did they ever print airship rules anywhere?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure, there are vehicle basic rules in Adventurer's Vault, along with stats for airships and ornithopters, and some more vehicle stats in Manual of the Planes. They're for planar vessels, but reskin as easily as anything else.

They're not particularly complex, so beyond that, it kinda depends on what you're looking for in airship rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You can also grab Admiral of the High Seas FROM EN Publishing, but it's pretty involved.

If airships will be a major part of the campaign, it may be worth it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ah this is super helpful for the individual characters, thank you! To do the maps, do you have to do this with every like, square?

Like, one of the Shining Force maps looks like this from the zip you linked

I personally find RPG Maker Maps to be the best options for this, here are a couple samples I did for The Slaying Stone. I like to put some simple overlay fog and lighting layers on mine, but it's not strictly necessary.

Also, I would decide on a standard size canvas, for FE sprites, I usually put each medium sprite in a 70 by 70 canvas (large using 140x140, huge 210x210.. ) this means that everyone ends up in scale with each other.

Edit: to save the click"

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 14, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, yeah, I'd use RPG Maker maps, too, most of the time, they resize a little more cleanly. But if you want to make the map match the style of the sprites, then yeah, that's a bit more complicated.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Fe7 battle sprites won't fit with the map tiles anyways since that uses a different scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hey friends, I am designing a hexblade (I know, I know) for fun and I figured I should throw in some charge cheese because it makes sense flavor-wise and it's also probably the only way to make the character's damage not completely awful. What all typically goes into charge optimization? I know you typically go for a gouge with a charge-empowering enchant, but this is a fey pact hexblade so I'm sticking with my light blade pact blade. I did take a rogue multiclass because it would be dumb not to, to get surprising charge.

For gear, I know about horned helm and iron armbands of power, and boots of adept charging. Threw in a backlash tattoo as well because why not.
For feats, I know about surprising charge and deft blade (from a rogue multiclass). Probably not going to take cunning stalker because I don't plan on solo-tanking stuff. Took wintertouched/lasting frost to get CA, but I'm not sure they're good enough to spend 2 feats on anymore.
I know there are charge-optimized PPs but I'm taking Turathi Highborn for flavor and because it's pretty effective.

Also while I'm at it, what are good ways to optimize saving throw penalties? I'm leaning on charm/domination style dailies so that'd be handy as well. Obviously orb wizard is not in the cards for this character.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 14, 2018