Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The moves aren't why Remember Me's combat sucked. You can make big, custom combos but you never needed any of it because a simple one that gave health back kept you going forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When it comes to Arkham-style fighting, I'm like the guy that pours ketchup on their steak. I just mash the buttons. I can't really tell a huge difference between Remember Me's combat and Arkham's :shrug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

When it comes to Arkham-style fighting, I'm like the guy that pours ketchup on their steak. I just mash the buttons. I can't really tell a huge difference between Remember Me's combat and Arkham's :shrug:

Wouldn't button mashing get you killed pretty quick in Arkham games?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

This happened to me too in Local Co-op, but not online Co-op. I think it's just a bug with how it's handled, because it's happened every single time.
(Risk of Rain)

I'm in the middle of an 83 minute local "co-op" solo session where I set me to a controller and player 2 to keyboard. As soon as player 2 dies it's a single player game where everything you gain saves on death, if you select 'try again'.

This is so loving fun.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 15, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not really. Like you sometimes have to block or dodge or sweep your cape, but it's pretty mashy (at least, Asylum is. Never played City). Especially compared to something like Devil May Cry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Nope, you can just mash away and knock everyone out. It allows for finesse but does not require it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Maybe not killed but you will take a lot more damage and get a poo poo ranking.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
I heard the combat in Remember Me gets tedious, but it would need to turn into a real shitshow to keep me from loving this game. So far (only chapter 3 admittedly) I'd say it's worth playing if only for the setting. The environment artists deserve every award. And the story keeps reminding me of what might be my favorite Ted Chiang story, so that's cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I once met a guy who button-mashed his way through Asylum. When I watched him play, he was at the final boss, and hadn't yet taken the upgrade that allows you to do special moves at combo x5 instead of combo x8. I really hated that guy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Nah, but the point of a game like Batman is to get the sweet rush of perfection in your violence. Also, yeah, in later stages you'd die because of the special counter moves necessary to kill beat dudes up.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I tried to avoid the combat in Asylum if I could. Stealth was just a far better alternative.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

Nah, but the point of a game like Batman is to get the sweet rush of perfection in your violence. Also, yeah, in later stages you'd die because of the special counter moves necessary to kill beat dudes up.
Weird. I just mashed buttons and I've beaten all 3 Arkham games. I just like goin pow pow pow fwip bonk

I mean I do the beatdown move on the armored dudes and evade knife attacks and poo poo but I never cared about getting a 100 hit combo or whatever

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

I enjoy the game normally but this weird bug mode is just insanely good fun. It gets ridiculous on screen. We've been three planets in with like 5 bosses on screen and tonnes of enemies running around yelling. I wish it was a mode you could deliberately turn on.

You can sort of mimic this in single player, if you have that artifact that enables you to choose items you get from chests, statues and enemy drops. It makes the game a lot easier. It's fun running around super fast, shooting dozens of missiles while everything around you explodes in a hail of bombs and electricity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

You don't need to do anything special to beat those games, mindless violence works fine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I guess some of us prefer the thinking man's version of the Batman games. :smuggo:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You don't need to do anything special to beat those games, mindless violence works fine.

It does, but there's something magical about pulling off 20+ combos, tossing gadgets left and right and never missing a step. It's almost like you're really Batman in those moments.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Stringing combos together is essential for getting anywhere in the challenge maps, but that's what they're there for.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drifter posted:

I guess some of us prefer the thinking man's version of the Batman games. :smuggo:

I prefer Sleepy Dawgs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Weird. I just mashed buttons and I've beaten all 3 Arkham games. I just like goin pow pow pow fwip bonk

I mean I do the beatdown move on the armored dudes and evade knife attacks and poo poo but I never cared about getting a 100 hit combo or whatever

That's not button mashing, that's being a normal person.

Button mashing in the Arkham games would amount to barely hitting the counter button, much less dodging knives.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I've played all three Batman Arkham games and could never get the combo that disarmed or dodged the stun baton/kinfe guys to work. Not a single time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I like Sleeping Dogs too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smg77 posted:

I've played all three Batman Arkham games and could never get the combo that disarmed or dodged the stun baton/kinfe guys to work. Not a single time.

Never once for knife dodge to work

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

smg77 posted:

The Knife-Dodge combo is one of the times where button-mashing completely fails.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Oddly enough, I never really had an issue with the knife disarm. You just let go of the stick between slashes, it's a simple timing test :shrug:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, I like Sleeping Dogs too.

Sleeping Dogs's combat is loving garbage compared to Arkham.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can kill people with severed swordfish heads in Sleeping Dogs, your argument is irrelevant.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
My only gripe in Batman combat is that the shield-man-stun (B-A-A) always broke the combo for me, even when flowing it successfully within a combo. Got annoying.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Happy to see I'm not alone in never knife-dodging in the Arkham games. Always found it way too hard to do playing mouse/keyboard and since I never bothered doing the challenge maps, it didn't really matter.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sivek posted:

Happy to see I'm not alone in never knife-dodging in the Arkham games. Always found it way too hard to do playing mouse/keyboard and since I never bothered doing the challenge maps, it didn't really matter.

Same here. I always just avoided those guys like the plague or tried to take them out quickly. Flipping over their heads usually worked if I recall right, just like the stun baton guys. Stupid special weapon guys get in the way of my rhythm game fighting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can kill people with severed swordfish heads in Sleeping Dogs, your argument is irrelevant.

Yes, let's discuss the merits of quicktime events over actual gameplay. :jerkbag:

I got used to sleepydogs combat - it's like a more realistic (slower and less flighty) version of the Bman's, but I'll always dislike the fact that the AI was programmed to come at you one at a time, regardless of the fact that you may have been encircled.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Quicktime event? What? You just grab a fool, drag him over to the thing and push him on. Thats not a QTE.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Same here. I always just avoided those guys like the plague or tried to take them out quickly. Flipping over their heads usually worked if I recall right, just like the stun baton guys. Stupid special weapon guys get in the way of my rhythm game fighting.

In Arkham City, there's a Wayne Manor Armory (or something) map where it's almost all knife guys. It's a good place to practice the move.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Get out with your dumb memes.

Drifter posted:

I got used to sleepydogs combat - it's like a more realistic (slower and less flighty) version of the Bman's, but I'll always dislike the fact that the AI was programmed to come at you one at a time, regardless of the fact that you may have been encircled.

Sleeping Dogs's combat is fine and entertaining, but it's a sandbox game so the focus is not going to be on combat depth like in Arkham. The fact that I have to put Wei Shen into a "countering animation" and then wait for the enemy to hit me (even if I only have to wait half a second) as opposed to Batman just snapping right to the guy and countering is already what makes it much jankier, ignoring everything else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Loving Thief, DMC and Kingdom of Amalur then reading through this thread makes me think my brain is wired to automatically like stuff everyone else hates.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Loving Thief, DMC and Kingdom of Amalur then reading through this thread makes me think my brain is wired to automatically like stuff everyone else hates.

I'm looking forward to picking Thief up for $5 bucks soon. I'm probably going to enjoy it at that price. But jesus, I'd rather play DA2 three times in a row than play KoA.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd also try Thief at $5. But even $8 from GMG (after voucher) is too much because I don't think it has any poo poo to read like Dishonored does and "that's NO GOOD" - sonic the hedgehog

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Drifter posted:

I'm looking forward to picking Thief up for $5 bucks soon. I'm probably going to enjoy it at that price. But jesus, I'd rather play DA2 three times in a row than play KoA.
What's wrong with Kingdom of Amalur? I recall people saying it was an okay game.

\/\/\/ EDIT: Sorry, I was skimming through the page and didn't see that.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
it's boring.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651576&userid=14408&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post434871394

I'd also try Thief at $5. But even $8 from GMG (after voucher) is too much because I don't think it has any poo poo to read like Dishonored does and "that's NO GOOD" - sonic the hedgehog

Man, that sinner's heart thing you had was REALLY COOL in Dishonored.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, KoA's harmless enough. It just drags on, and there's way too much of it. I find the drat thing really endearing though and it's pretty relaxing to just run around and biff monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

Man, that sinner's heart thing you had was REALLY COOL in Dishonored.
I think Dishonored's ruined any possible enjoyment I could get out of Thi4f because the magic powers and the easy combat and the lore are just things that Thi4f won't have.

• Locked thread