Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

President Beep posted:

wow and I thought i had problems

abnormal BIND behavior probably falls solidly in "you're gonna need to read and debug the source yourself, or find someone who can" territory. maybe, idk, my knowledge is all on the protocol side since most of my DNS experience was at a place that rolled their own DNS server from scratch, and contrary to the popular "it can't be DNS; it was DNS" problem joke, that team never broke anything, so we didn't question how their implementation worked. it was about as reliable as gravity

unrelated question stuff: is there some good way to inspect problems in bluetooth traffic? i get some weird thing where audio degrades in a very specific way and im curious why and how that happens, even though i suspect it's likely impossible to fix. the wireshark bluetooth capture seems uh... pretty limited, but idk where else to look. is the only option going full HAM and watching a spectogram and trying to decipher what the interference or whatever is

fwiw the effect is that there are two consistently-spaced waves of static, followed by audio sounding like it was run through a bitcrusher and slowed somewhat

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my immediate suspicion would be some buffer is fritzing out, since we're dealing with time domain stuff here, it sounds like (HEH) some or all of an output buffer is getting thrashed somehow and then it goes robot voice timestretch to try to keep things 'realtime' while replaying what's left. Dont have super good ideas on how to fix but i would try fresh driver de/reinstalls for everything that touches it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo is there a good undelete for windows

I took over 1000 photos yesterday and due to me making a misunderstanding I deleted them all 🥺

lightroom normally converts to dng and copies files, this time it didn’t convert (why does it change without my action idk) and just copied the files so i deleted them and went to reimport them BUT I didn’t realise it had just straight up just moved the files

so in theory they’re in two places (two separate drives, one ssd one a rusty disc) on my pc to undelete from

is there a good one? i don’t mind paying

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

getdataback did the needful for me many, many years ago

i like the free version's "see what you could have back if you pay me" feature

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

getdataback did the needful for me many, many years ago

i like the free version's "see what you could have back if you pay me" feature

thanks mate. i hope it works lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if its just undelete, recuva is a good first try since it's free

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
recuva works fine. not sure what extra could be done by paid software

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it did not work 🥲 every file was corrupt

one last chance to recover a few from the sd card when I get home but I had already quick formatted it and recorded a video so I don’t expect much if anything

fuckin gutted. lesson learned

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

you could give that a shot too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks mate

I think the potential for recovery on an ssd is hopeless. all of the files were corrupt and when I peeked at the hex it was all 000 everywhere

I have one last chance when I get home to recover from the SD card itself. it has been quick formatted by the camera and a short video recorded to it but .. well I’m holding a short string of hope but it’s running out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thanks mate

I think the potential for recovery on an ssd is hopeless. all of the files were corrupt and when I peeked at the hex it was all 000 everywhere

I have one last chance when I get home to recover from the SD card itself. it has been quick formatted by the camera and a short video recorded to it but .. well I’m holding a short string of hope but it’s running out

might still be worth trying that, the first tool you tried may have been looking for the data which points out where the file is (the inode), and if that itself was corrupt it could have pointed to junk. the suggested tool ignores the inode and just brute-force scans the disk for image headers.

is my limited understanding anyway.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

wouldn’t the TRIM operation on the SSD delete remove the block from the flash translation layer? so basically another layer of the software ionode corruption issue.

i’d also expect much better results with a quick formatted SD card.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is more of a general question but I just got rid of my old cable internet provider and switched to Fios. My old service required that I use their stupid lovely modem and router. Verizon is letting me use my own Asus router. Their ethernet cable from the ont plugs directly into it which owns so much.

Anyway with my old ISP my Asus router (which I used in conjunction with their lovely modem router thing) freaked out on me the other day and it changed the Asus router's IP to 192.168.2.1. Previously it was 1.1, not 2.1.

This messed up a few things for me like my wireless printer, ps4 hack server hosting, and some other minor stuff. Not the end of the world but it made me question: when Verizon shows up today, should I change my Asus router back to 192.168.1.1? Or am I better off leaving it as 192.168.2.1? Are there any negatives to that?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I am a complete moron with networking and ip stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yippee cahier posted:

wouldn’t the TRIM operation on the SSD delete remove the block from the flash translation layer? so basically another layer of the software ionode corruption issue.

i’d also expect much better results with a quick formatted SD card.

this actually worked, in that it recovered files, except they were from an older shoot

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

might still be worth trying that, the first tool you tried may have been looking for the data which points out where the file is (the inode), and if that itself was corrupt it could have pointed to junk. the suggested tool ignores the inode and just brute-force scans the disk for image headers.

is my limited understanding anyway.

they were camera raw files like 20mb in size, easy for the file system to gently caress up

but ssd, also being my primary drive and the computer was on all day, I'm not surprised sectors were written over

I thought there was a copy (at one stage) on a platter drive but I was mistaken

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

This is more of a general question but I just got rid of my old cable internet provider and switched to Fios. My old service required that I use their stupid lovely modem and router. Verizon is letting me use my own Asus router. Their ethernet cable from the ont plugs directly into it which owns so much.

Anyway with my old ISP my Asus router (which I used in conjunction with their lovely modem router thing) freaked out on me the other day and it changed the Asus router's IP to 192.168.2.1. Previously it was 1.1, not 2.1.

This messed up a few things for me like my wireless printer, ps4 hack server hosting, and some other minor stuff. Not the end of the world but it made me question: when Verizon shows up today, should I change my Asus router back to 192.168.1.1? Or am I better off leaving it as 192.168.2.1? Are there any negatives to that?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I am a complete moron with networking and ip stuff.

you can just leave it as it is, the ip (subnet really) of the router is arbitrary, just has to be in 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

This is more of a general question but I just got rid of my old cable internet provider and switched to Fios. My old service required that I use their stupid lovely modem and router. Verizon is letting me use my own Asus router.

not one of these, i hope

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/asus-warns-of-cyclops-blink-malware-attacks-targeting-routers/

quote:

Vulnerable ASUS devices

In an advisory released today, ASUS warns that the following router models and firmware versions are vulnerable to Cyclops Blink attacks:

GT-AC5300 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
GT-AC2900 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC5300 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC88U firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC3100 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC86U firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC68U, AC68R, AC68W, AC68P firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC66U_B1 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC3200 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC2900 firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC1900P, RT-AC1900P firmware under 3.0.0.4.386.xxxx
RT-AC87U (EOL)
RT-AC66U (EOL)
RT-AC56U (EOL)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lol of course, I have two RT-AC68Us (one is a repeater). Luckily it looks like a firmware update resolves it.

bobbilljim posted:

you can just leave it as it is, the ip (subnet really) of the router is arbitrary, just has to be in 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Thank you! Now with this new Fios service my personal Asus router changed its IP to 192.168.1.1. Should I change it back to 192.168.2.1? Just to avoid IP conflict complaints in the future or something? I don't understand any of this stuff.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i used to use my own router when i had cable internet but with fios i am happy just using the box verizon provides as the router, it is one of the better isp-provided routers i have ever used

it does internal dynamic dns, so if a machine gets a dhcp lease, the hostname it reports to the dhcp server is added to the internal dns zone

it supports specific host overrides for arbitrary hostnames, so 'my-hostname.no-ip.info' points to the internal address of my server if im inside, as opposed to the external address, which caused some routing problems in the past (not sure if thats still an issue, but better to avoid entirely and just have that hostname point to the internal address)

it was trivial to set it to use cloudflares dns instead of verizon's servers that intercepted missing hostnames and redirected to a verizon search page

it does unified 2.4ghz/5ghz wifi so devices will use the 5ghz band if the signal strength is good enough, then fall back to the 2.4ghz band with the same wifi network name and password, totally transparent if you are further away from the router

i guess the only things missing for me might be automatic updating of my external ip address in no-ip's service, but the only time i ever managed to set that up was when i used a linux box as a router and a consumer-grade router as a wifi access point (dhcp server disabled, plug in to wired network via lan port, nothing connected to its wan port)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol of course, I have two RT-AC68Us (one is a repeater). Luckily it looks like a firmware update resolves it.

Thank you! Now with this new Fios service my personal Asus router changed its IP to 192.168.1.1. Should I change it back to 192.168.2.1? Just to avoid IP conflict complaints in the future or something? I don't understand any of this stuff.

I might be confused about your setup here, but I imagine you would have fibre box -> router -> repeater (wired?)
What I would do is have just one router (the first one) acting as a dhcp server. Usually you would just have that as 192.168.1.1 because most consumer routers use that. Your repeater could then have any address in 192.168.1.x.
Sometimes repeaters will instead connect in a different way (with NAT and their own dhcp server) so then your network on the repeater could be on a different subnet like 192.168.2.x.

If it is working right now the best thing to do is leave it alone lol

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
i just miss clicked my middle mouse button and found out you can spawn new instances of applications on the task bar my middle mouse button clicking them

what the gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oddly i just learned that too, last week, from a student. pretty wacky isn't it

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:shrug: whatever :shrug:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I have taught that too so many people at work. wonder if it actually sticks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like another instance of chrome or blender
or whatever?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you middle-click the icon in the taskbar, it opens a new window. if you middle-click the preview window that pops up after hover, it closes that window

easy to gently caress up if you arent thinking, but not too different than how browser tabs work

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Floor is lava posted:

i just miss clicked my middle mouse button and found out you can spawn new instances of applications on the task bar my middle mouse button clicking them

what the gently caress

i use this all the time it owns

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Floor is lava posted:

what the gently caress

omg

works in kde too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

middle click this tab in your browser

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok which noctua should i get. I have an AM4 board and I think my case is big enough for the taller ones but is there a reason I would want the low profile?

e: I think I figured this out, please disregard :)

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 3, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

el enfriador de la noche

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whatever genius thought that merging the FIOS sales and tech support departments together should be taken out back and shot.

I do _not_ want to be getting a sales pitch to increase my network speed when the whole purpose of my chatting with you is because my network speed has dropped so much. In the mean time while you are 'troubleshooting my issue' you are also trying to get me to modify my account? gently caress you. Fix my poo poo and shut up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cimber posted:

Whatever genius thought that merging the FIOS sales and tech support departments together should be taken out back and shot.

I do _not_ want to be getting a sales pitch to increase my network speed when the whole purpose of my chatting with you is because my network speed has dropped so much. In the mean time while you are 'troubleshooting my issue' you are also trying to get me to modify my account? gently caress you. Fix my poo poo and shut up.

every contact is a sales opportunity regardless of the reason for contact. it's irritating as gently caress, but this is a universal maxim these days.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my old living room PC will not boot unless I unplug the Bluetooth dongle for the keyboard. I can't get it to stop prioritizing the USB ports in the bios, maybe it thinks there's some sort of live system on there but changing the bios boot order didn't do anything.
:thunk:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my only problem is not enough computers!!!!!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
time for more computers!!!

dell.com

apple.com

acer.com

tigerdirect.com

apple.com

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

my old living room PC will not boot unless I unplug the Bluetooth dongle for the keyboard. I can't get it to stop prioritizing the USB ports in the bios, maybe it thinks there's some sort of live system on there but changing the bios boot order didn't do anything.

removing a usb dongle three times a year doesn’t sound like a big deal

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

animist posted:

i had a PC that would do this with thumb drives. It's annoying but now that you've figured it out you'll become numb to it in no time

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

animist posted:

Is your CMOS battery dead?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I upgraded my AMD (lol) video card to a (used) GTX 1070 and now my computer is freezing randomly every couple days. anyway just wanted to let you know I have a computer problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:argh: