Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Iron Crowned posted:

Also I just noticed that the shower has a window that looks out to the mirror, why? :psyduck:

I’m more concerned with the black stuff all over the floor of the shower...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
While B. Eat Mr J's bathroom is the worst bathroom I have ever seen, I have had the personal good fortune to make use of the best bathroom, the one servicing the restaurant at the top of the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.

If you find yourself in Hong Kong I recommend getting dinner there, the food is pretty good and after drinks you get to look across Kowloon with 'a yellow eye.'

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 27, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Haifisch posted:

I wonder how much of that is because millennials realized they don't want or need that much space, and how much of that is because millennials can't afford giant houses(or any houses, if they live on the west coast).

They can sell them. All they have to do is lower the price a bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

:supaburn:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Entropic posted:

But my investment!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

faarcyde posted:

Bought a house. Looking for some paint suggestions. The reason I liked the place is because it has a rustic/country/up north feel to it and I would like to maintain that vibe. My whole life I've just used neutral grays because I am uncreative and suck at this kind of thing.

The floors are knotted pine and will be refinished to bring out a bit more of the white tones in the wood. As you can see the window and base trim is stained wood. I don't think my typical palette of neutral grays will work here. Any suggestions appreciated. FYI this is not my furniture so just consider it a blank slate.

You do not suck, you're just inexperienced! Luckily there's a whole industry of preselected pallets out there to give you a boost. If you like grays and and want to keep a more rustic/cabin vibe, I'd recommend looking at colonial colors. That would fit with the pine board floors, and it tends to favor more muted, grayed-out tones.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

The door with the deadbolt next to the toilet goes out to the garage. As does the other door on the other side of the teal room.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

faarcyde posted:

Bought a house. Looking for some paint suggestions. The reason I liked the place is because it has a rustic/country/up north feel to it and I would like to maintain that vibe. My whole life I've just used neutral grays because I am uncreative and suck at this kind of thing.

The floors are knotted pine and will be refinished to bring out a bit more of the white tones in the wood. As you can see the window and base trim is stained wood. I don't think my typical palette of neutral grays will work here. Any suggestions appreciated. FYI this is not my furniture so just consider it a blank slate.

I suffer from a terrible condition where I think that every home should have bright white walls with wood floors, without exception. If you want to give it more of a rustic feel, though, maybe a warm beige would be more appropriate? Even if it is the most boring option.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FoldableHuman posted:

The door with the deadbolt next to the toilet goes out to the garage. As does the other door on the other side of the teal room.

This is a point-and-click adventure game setting

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finally caught up again after the bathdoom storm.
From some pages ago:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Well, I still have ideas in my head for my metal furniture. This is another coffee table. Excuse my quick and dirty drawings

Roughly 19" high, made of three different stocks of aluminum. The legs and top would be 1/4", the lower shelf of 1/8" sheet, and the posts between the top and shelf would be 1/2" round bar.

The top would be 22"x36" in this..... this shape? I don't know what to call this shape. Bulged, oblate, rounded rectangle? I think I'm going to use a rough sandpaper and go to town on the top. I want to see about trying to make it almost seem as if there's wood grain in the metal top.

Looks like a superellipse, a shape also used in Danish mid-century furniture.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ohhhhhh its an entryway toilet. of course.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

nielsm posted:

Finally caught up again after the bathdoom storm.
From some pages ago:

Looks like a superellipse, a shape also used in Danish mid-century furniture.

aha! Thank you very much! It's exactly what I was going for. I knew there had to be a name for that sort of shape but didn't know how to go about googling it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

You do not suck, you're just inexperienced! Luckily there's a whole industry of preselected pallets out there to give you a boost. If you like grays and and want to keep a more rustic/cabin vibe, I'd recommend looking at colonial colors. That would fit with the pine board floors, and it tends to favor more muted, grayed-out tones.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have white oak floors in the new home and no real design experience. If you look at my post history itt you can see some maple and white paint furniture I'm building and the floor color as well. I'm wanting to repaint the house interior over time and not really sure of pallette choices. Where would I find pre-selected ones? The first floor with the hardwood floors is partially open but each room has a different color. Ranging from a very light pink, to cream, to a medium blue-grey.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have white oak floors in the new home and no real design experience. If you look at my post history itt you can see some maple and white paint furniture I'm building and the floor color as well. I'm wanting to repaint the house interior over time and not really sure of pallette choices. Where would I find pre-selected ones? The first floor with the hardwood floors is partially open but each room has a different color. Ranging from a very light pink, to cream, to a medium blue-grey.

Any of the big paint brands have them and you can usually go to their website either pull up a standard like cottage or modern, or pick an individual color and get some complementary shades for it. Paint stores/suppliers will also often have little pamphlets with recommended pallets in them; when I was picking for my house I flipped through a few at Lows to get some ideas.

I'll throw in that color theory is absolutely something that you can just learn. It's not all a matter of gut instinct and personal taste; there are rules, you can study them and make more confident choices.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The decisive might also enjoy...

...Yes, that's right...

Wallpaper! You can get the same white/cream, but with TEXTURE! and subtle sparkle.

See you in hell haters!!!!

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

This is a point-and-click adventure game setting

The Zillow posting has a virtual tour if you really want to feel like you're in a crappy reboot of The 7th Guest.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Enchanted Hat posted:

I suffer from a terrible condition where I think that every home should have bright white walls with wood floors, without exception. If you want to give it more of a rustic feel, though, maybe a warm beige would be more appropriate? Even if it is the most boring option.

A good post

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

You do not suck, you're just inexperienced! Luckily there's a whole industry of preselected pallets out there to give you a boost.

:yeah:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Yes paint person at home depot, I'm looking for ON 20 10, it's kind of a weathered brown? Hold on let me show you this picture from the internet

Oh

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I put all my skill points into differentiating colors, not homophones.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I actually don't hate this. It's kind of ugly, but of all the trendy sinks made out of/put into random garbage, it's surprisingly sensible in form and function.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

there wolf posted:

I actually don't hate this. It's kind of ugly, but of all the trendy sinks made out of/put into random garbage, it's surprisingly sensible in form and function.

I agree, would definitely poo poo in that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bring back old gbs posted:

These are pro, if you can't swing a garage toilet instead.

The best combo is a back door that goes mudroom/laundry -> bathroom so you can ditch your filthy working outdoors clothes straight into the wash and shower rather than track filth through the house.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

hakimashou posted:

While B. Eat Mr J's bathroom is the worst bathroom I have ever seen, I have had the personal good fortune to make use of the best bathroom, the one servicing the restaurant at the top of the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.

If you find yourself in Hong Kong I recommend getting dinner there, the food is pretty good and after drinks you get to look across Kowloon with 'a yellow eye.'

In a similar vein the toilet at the restaurant at Plateau Rosa in Cervinia/Zermatt has a window looking out to the Matterhorn and over the glacier down into Italy. Recommend going for a piss even if you don't absolutely need one.

https://flic.kr/p/27Ra32w

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

Yeah it's neat. I would never want it in my own home though but it's kinda interesting.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

The decisive might also enjoy...

...Yes, that's right...

Wallpaper! You can get the same white/cream, but with TEXTURE! and subtle sparkle.

See you in hell haters!!!!

Oddly enough, such wallpapers have been around since the late 1800s...

https://www.anaglypta.co.uk/

https://www.lincrusta.com/

For the love of God, Montresor, I washed my hands after using the toilet.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 28, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's real nice, we have something similar on the ceiling of our living room. Kind of like tin plates but subtle white pinwheels. I wish I used it in more rooms.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

TheManWithNoName posted:

I agree, would definitely poo poo in that.

My first thought before reading the post.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

So my brother is wrapping up firefighter/EMT school and is starting to look at houses. Sent me this picture this morning:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

latinotwink1997 posted:

My first thought before reading the post.

Same, just really triggered by how high it was. Precarious.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

:O

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

there wolf posted:

*Drops the soap behind the sink*

*Buys more soap*

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Probably had to install the urinal after he refused to stop peeing over the railing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Getting a strong We’ll All Shed Our Mortal Shells And Fly Away On The Comet Together vibe from the matching recliners in a circle...

$1000 those chairs are meant for bible study as well as TV because there’s no way that the mind behind that decor isn’t super Christian. This house looks like Mormon Pinterest had a grand mal seizure all over it.

That Works posted:

This is totally not a room where we bring up the subject of swinging for the 1st time with newer friends.

Lol no, you want couches and close proximity and a sense of intimacy and security. Having everybody sit in individual chairs in a ring like they’re the members of SEELE in an open concept kitchen space is the opposite of LS-friendly design.

moist turtleneck posted:

I really love the bedroom with the sliding door but also a gun safe

Can't lock the door to pull out your gun for intruders/wolfmans

I love that the safe is just there, wedged against the bedside table. I really hate and avoid making the assumption that the wife in a partnership had the bulk of control when decorating the home but you absolutely know that it was the case in this situation and Universal MonsterMan’s one ironclad stipulation was the gun safe.

bring back old gbs posted:

bringing new meaning to the term “mudroom”

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A cozy cover for your Eames shell chair!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Bugaloo posted:

$1000 those chairs are meant for bible study as well as TV because there’s no way that the mind behind that decor isn’t super Christian. This house looks like Mormon Pinterest had a grand mal seizure all over it.

It all makes sense now

e: I mean it still doesn't

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

there wolf posted:

Is "Classic modern forced to be kitsch" an overall decor style? Because I want to see more.

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 29, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

there wolf posted:

I really like this for some reason. It looks comfy and kinda cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endman posted:

I really like this for some reason.

Because it’s good? The design is good and it’s a clever way to add padding to a shell chair.