Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ratjaculation posted:

depends where you are, they have secondary checks now in a bunch of airports when you go from the terminal to the boarding lounge and they take your water. cheeky bastards!

Yep, this happened to me when coming back from Oman - security check 1 on entering the airport building, looking for bombs etc in all luggage. Security check 2 on entering airside. Everyone buys water for the flight because we've been through security now. Then surprise! Security check number 3 at the gate, give us your water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's worth it just in case someone invents cold fusion mid-flight and uses the sealed bottle of water with receipt to cause a thermonuclear blast.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Just reposting this for anyone who may have missed it, this time with a job spec.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/406913963998208000

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
For my international flights I always get 3 small bottles of Mateus rosé (they're usually 3 for 2 in the dutyfree) and neck 2 of them before takeoff. Then I can usually get 3 double whiskeys in quick succession by rolling for moderate persuasion, finish off with the final rosé, and I'm definitively pissed and crying by the credits of the first movie.

Some times if I'm traveling with my missus she gets us free lounge access and you can basically drink a whole bottle of whiskey before your flight, at that point transatlantic flight becomes a form of very disorienting instantaneous teleportation.

For anyone judging my need to travel, I gotta visit my elderly widower father-in-law in NY, plus travel for work. Will be a lot less of that now though, guess I'll just have to drink tiny bottles of booze at home

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Quick Start Guide to Verilog...

Are they trying to hurt people's brains during lockdown?

Some of those do look good though, thanks!

Unironically grabbed that, ive been meaning to try out FPGAs :sun:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I assume this is bad news for Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/23/jewish-chronicle-saved-by-consortium-after-messy-takeover-battle

quote:

The Jewish Chronicle has been sold to a consortium fronted by Theresa May’s former director of communications, saving the historic newspaper following a brief but messy takeover battle.

The winning bid was led by Sir Robbie Gibb, a former BBC executive who worked in Downing Street throughout the Brexit negotiation process. It is also backed by a group including former charity commission chairman William Shawcross, ex-Labour MP John Woodcock, and journalist John Ware who made a recent Panorama investigation into allegations of antisemitism in the Labour party.

Others whose names are attached to the consortium include broadcaster Jonathan Sacerdoti and Rabbi Jonathan Hughes of Radlett United Synagogue, along with a number of financiers and lawyers.

Individuals involved in the deal said the new owners intend to reveal further details regarding who is providing the financial backing in the coming days, a detail which is currently unknown even to many of those closely involved in the newspaper.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

josh04 posted:

"one minute's silence" for the victims of an on-going disaster.

Last night's Panorama had a quote from an NHS worker that was darkly profound: "Calling us heroes just makes it okay when we die."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

For my international flights I always get 3 small bottles of Mateus rosé (they're usually 3 for 2 in the dutyfree) and neck 2 of them before takeoff. Then I can usually get 3 double whiskeys in quick succession by rolling for moderate persuasion, finish off with the final rosé, and I'm definitively pissed and crying by the credits of the first movie.

Some times if I'm traveling with my missus she gets us free lounge access and you can basically drink a whole bottle of whiskey before your flight, at that point transatlantic flight becomes a form of very disorienting instantaneous teleportation.

For anyone judging my need to travel, I gotta visit my elderly widower father-in-law in NY, plus travel for work. Will be a lot less of that now though, guess I'll just have to drink tiny bottles of booze at home

Paying for lounge access is often very, very worth it. Compared with the prices of food in an airport, and adding on free booze and a nice place to sit before your flight makes it usually worth getting.

HJB posted:

Last night's Panorama had a quote from an NHS worker that was darkly profound: "Calling us heroes just makes it okay when we die."

Even disregarding the government's military-wank-fetish, I strongly suspect the rebranding of all frontline staff as 'heroes' absolutely makes the narrative of 'a necessary sacrifice to stop the virus' possible and neatly avoids the fact that we're in a situation demanding this sacrifice because of years of systematic underfunding.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 28, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
excellent work

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1255106683560513536?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

Paying for lounge access is often very, very worth it. Compared with the prices of food in an airport, and adding on free booze and a nice place to sit before your flight makes it usually worth getting.

I think it's worth it (have done it twice when I had about 6hours wait between coach arriving at Heathrow and take off). I paid £30, had comfortable lounge area, free food, drink and newspapers. Easy to spend £15-£20 just wandering around killing time getting sandwiches, drinks and so on. I never buy duty free stuff as it always seems far more expensive to me than regular shops (I don't smoke, drink or use perfume or 'name' handbags).

https://twitter.com/seanbgoneill/status/1255103491074375681?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 28, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No, because I don't believe that Boris knows who any of his kids are.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I flew with Virgin Atlantic on my first trip to the states in like... 1997 (I was 6 or 7). They were great, we got little kids backpacks with loads of colouring and toys and poo poo in it. Every time I've taken a Virgin flight since they've taken more and more away from that so now they're just another average long-haul airline.

When we fly to Asia now to visit my girlfriend's family I always try to go Cathay Pacific as the planes are much nicer and there's unlimited cup noodles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

No, because I don't believe that Boris knows who any of his kids are.

That doesn't mean his kids don't know he's their dad though. They probably do.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Celexi posted:

No idea what was going on with virgin atlantic lately, but I flew them first class like 2006 to jfk from london that someone else paid, and we both agreed it had been a waste of money and the staff and crew tried too hard being edgy, we returned in an american airlines coach flight and to this day I still don't know what was so amazing about virgin atlantic

How exactly were they edgy? Edginess is not a quality I would appreciate from airline staff :/

Like I'm imagining a person just stopping in the middle of the flight safety demonstration and saying "well since you aren't listening nothing bad's going to happen to you ugh" and waking testily back to their seat by the big metal containers there

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 28, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Saros posted:

Just reposting this for anyone who may have missed it, this time with a job spec.

I was actually considering it based on your description, but based on the actual link haha no.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Red Oktober posted:

Even disregarding the government's military-wank-fetish, I strongly suspect the rebranding of all frontline staff as 'heroes' absolutely makes the narrative of 'a necessary sacrifice to stop the virus' possible and neatly avoids the fact that we're in a situation demanding this sacrifice because of years of systematic underfunding.

It's very much worry it if you have a 3+ hour wait imo. The UK ones are decent but I stopped in one in vancouver when I arrived at the airport way early, paid probably $50CAD and just got completely stuffed full of food and tanked up in a lovely big leather seat in an quiet room overlooking the runway. You'd be paying nearly that much for a meal and a few drinks in any of the restaurants, but the lounge lets you stay as long as you want* and everything is unlimited.

*Technically you pay x for a certain number of hours and should pay a little more if you intend to stay longer but I always pay the minimum and nobody has ever challenged me once I've been inside.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I like to watch videos of people flying in first class on Youtube, safe in the knowledge that I will never ever get to experience that. It's fun.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Scottish govt is recommending masks. I'm thinking of getting a basic cloth one. Any ideas?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I like to watch videos of people flying in first class on Youtube, safe in the knowledge that I will never ever get to experience that. It's fun.

Yeah I do the same. I can't remember the airline (etihad maybe?) but I watched some guy fly in this absurd whole suite - only one on the whole plane - that had a separate living room, bedroom, and personal shower (!). Just nuts, but you have to pay tens of thousands one way so a little out of my price range lol. I don't know how people working customer service at that level don't all become raging communists, honestly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I've been upgraded to business class a few times... on the 40 minute flight from London to Amsterdam. It's fun trying to eat a cooked breakfast while the plane's still climbing!

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
FT model is suggesting over 45k deaths so far

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1255103075590733826

quote:

The official figures verified Financial Times modelling that suggested 41,000 had died by last Tuesday either directly or indirectly as a result of coronavirus, with the death registrations higher than expected by the FT's model.

With almost 30,000 excess deaths by mid-April across the UK, approximately two weeks ago, the number of total deaths now is likely to be in excess of 45,000 according to the FT model.

quote:

Both in care homes and the community the rise in death registrations outstrips the rise in death certificates which mention coronavirus. This suggests that doctors are misrecording deaths caused by the disease and that people are dying from other conditions indirectly linked to the outbreak.

The increase in other deaths is highest in areas such as London, where the virus has been most virulent.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

HJB posted:

It's true, a hero is someone who volunteered. The correct word is 'victims'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We flew business class on icelandair for out honeymoon. Other than slightly better service and noise cancelling headphones, the flights themselves weren't particularly better than any other, but the planes were very small for international flights.

The lounges were the real benefit though. Tonnes of good quality free food and space to relax and snooze between flights, plus people actually checking to make sure you MAKE your flight, really makes a big difference to how taxing the flight was.

We're not planning on flying again any time soon though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Algol Star posted:

It's true, a hero is someone who volunteered. The correct word is 'victims'.

You shut up and you clap-clap for the heros our boys Boris Churchill :mad:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol that the deaf people are suing boris for not doing sign language.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 28, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
What's behind the BBC suddenly starting to give space to the official figures vastly underestimating the actual death-count, despite being quite happy to ignore carehome deaths for the past month? Has the information just reached a critical mass that they can no longer ignore with news like the FT study circulating? Or is it down to factionalism within government, with a pushback against the early relaxation hawks?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Soylent Yellow posted:

What's behind the BBC suddenly starting to give space to the official figures vastly underestimating the actual death-count, despite being quite happy to ignore carehome deaths for the past month? Has the information just reached a critical mass that they can no longer ignore with news like the FT study circulating? Or is it down to factionalism within government, with a pushback against the early relaxation hawks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52281423

That story is from two weeks ago, I'm sure theres others, you just didn't see them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I do the same. I can't remember the airline (etihad maybe?) but I watched some guy fly in this absurd whole suite - only one on the whole plane - that had a separate living room, bedroom, and personal shower (!). Just nuts, but you have to pay tens of thousands one way so a little out of my price range lol. I don't know how people working customer service at that level don't all become raging communists, honestly.
This is what zeppelins are for.

Either for taking a long leisurely cruise across the skies where you need a shower and a bedroom, or for crashing the rich into the ground, whichever way you want to read it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52281423

That story is from two weeks ago, I'm sure theres others, you just didn't see them.

Possibly.

It just seems that they're giving more prominence to it and delving into the statistics now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They could say the quiet bits under their breath until the ONS statistics came out, I have a vague memory of being told ONS statistics are pretty much exhibit A in The Hague and it’s to do with them not liking the mysterious mass disappearance of people. Which if you think about is exactly what has been happening given that 20k+ people have died without it being reported on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite wild that the government is literally trying to cover up 20-30 thousand deaths. in 2020.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
The USPOL thread came up with a good visual reference for virus deaths -sports stadiums.

The official figures would fill Turf Moor, Burnley's stadium. It's looking like the actual figures would probably fill Anfield.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i can't say too much without doxxing myself but based on my job and friends i know working in the NHS, there has been a strong suspicion for a couple of weeks that they're cackhandedly trying to "protect" the NHS, massage the stats, and artificially flatten the curve by sending as many people as they can into the community to die. this thread:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1255055939280998400?s=19

appears to be hinting at same without going full tinfoil and scaring people.

i happen to know for a fact that they're discharging lots of people without even testing them.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 28, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

gh0stpinballa posted:

i happen to know for a fact that they're discharging lots of people without even testing them.

God, so they're potentially sending Covid cases into care homes to die and taking out a bunch more otherwise healthy pensioners in the process. That's loving evil.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Isomermaid posted:

God, so they're potentially sending Covid cases into care homes to die and taking out a bunch more otherwise healthy pensioners in the process. That's loving evil.

don't get me wrong, it's not NHS staff's fault, they simply don't have enough tests to do the job but there is immense pressure on them to discharge absolutely everyone who does not 100% need to be in hospital.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

OwlFancier posted:

Quite wild that the government is literally trying to cover up 20-30 thousand deaths. in 2020.

Except they don't know how many deaths there are themselves until ONS tells them.

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011

Isomermaid posted:

We have what are called emergency health care plans and a lot of patients from care homes will specifically have it written in not to admit to hospital and use district / palliative care in the event of any illness, whether Covid suspected or not. So in a lot of cases they dont even get to the hospital in the first place.

I have never seen our hospital trust have so few patients. Its eerie. We cleared a lot of beds in anticipation of the pandemic and havent seen them increase dramatically in this. Plus all elective care cancelled and people not attending out of fear when they really should (cardiac, other respiratory, trauma, cancers) is going to cause a very big impact further down the line.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure they'll find some way to pin it on the frontline staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

gh0stpinballa posted:

don't get me wrong, it's not NHS staff's fault, they simply don't have enough tests to do the job but there is immense pressure on them to discharge absolutely everyone who does not 100% need to be in hospital.

Oh for sure, when I say "they" there, I'm putting that on the government for engineering this situation.