Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's a shame we still haven't gotten any new content for Holocure but Halls of Torment is in such a good spot right now, it's just a blast to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

army of ruin has a top tier ui but is otherwise pretty boring. the weapons lack impact, too.

Yeah, it really goes to show how well made Vampire Survivors is, honestly. On paper, Army of Ruin has way more variety and is in full 3D, but it's way less fun to play because everything lacks impact.

Also the art style always felt a bit too close to that super generic fantasy look you see in mobile games. Diet Blizzard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i still haven't found a single one of these games that i like more than vampire survivors

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Azran posted:

It's a shame we still haven't gotten any new content for Holocure but Halls of Torment is in such a good spot right now, it's just a blast to play.
he made that mediocre brawler Holo x Break(which IS completely free like holocure, so I won't be too harsh on it), and I'm guessing is going back to working on holocure.

If this is the update that includes pekora, marine, etc, it's gonna be a wild one. I hope they add a lot more collabs, too. It's kinda boring ending up with majority the same collabs/super collabs all the time.

For holocure players, what are your must-take weapons/accessories? I've always gotta have Limiter and Shackle plus any of the heavy debuff accessories(Candy being the most sought after one, of course), and spider cooking or axe are the weapons I try to get asap since they usually one-shot all the mobs for a good five minutes by themselves.

I'm currently treating it like an idle game getting everyone to max rank. I grab spider cooking and Limiter and go from there and can just stand in one spot and only pay like 10% attention

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Deep Rock Survivors has updated bosses! The Dreadnaught now has two new moves, one of which combos viciously with his deadly charge, and the end run boss can be the Twin Dreadies, Lacerator and Arbalest. There's also new goons elite roly poly bug and huli hoarder, as well as a wave of new overclocks and a detailed weapons screen.

Aww yeah. I love these small investment games that only get better and better every season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

he made that mediocre brawler Holo x Break(which IS completely free like holocure, so I won't be too harsh on it), and I'm guessing is going back to working on holocure.

If this is the update that includes pekora, marine, etc, it's gonna be a wild one. I hope they add a lot more collabs, too. It's kinda boring ending up with majority the same collabs/super collabs all the time.

For holocure players, what are your must-take weapons/accessories? I've always gotta have Limiter and Shackle plus any of the heavy debuff accessories(Candy being the most sought after one, of course), and spider cooking or axe are the weapons I try to get asap since they usually one-shot all the mobs for a good five minutes by themselves.

I'm currently treating it like an idle game getting everyone to max rank. I grab spider cooking and Limiter and go from there and can just stand in one spot and only pay like 10% attention

Couldn't remember everything and when I went to look there were a lot less than I thought. I think the only thing I always go for is the axe.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The halls of torment update hit the main branch but my game keeps crashing on steam deck whenever I pick up a 4th ability which is really frustrating because it happened twice when I was farming the fifth stage on max agony for the new achievements and I lose all the progress

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I did a Sage run with the morning star and it just wrecked everything, it’s like another phantom needle.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Turns out it's getting the electrified orb upgrade that makes halls of torment crash after the update, a bunch of other people on the steam discussion page were talking about it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have opinions on Survivors of the Dawn?

I just played it for a bit and it felt clunky. Upgrades were pretty unsatisfying too, but the multi-target rocket launcher seemed like a fun weapon.

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like holocure did a really good job of making all the collabs effective in different ways so I mix up my weapon set a lot.

The character specific skills can make a huge difference in how important/good different collabs are too.

I've been using the healing super-collab a lot on the higher difficulties, but I used to rely on the fire dragon super-collab even more so I think I probably just haven't figured out how to use the other super collabs as well yet.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 16, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Doomykins posted:

Deep Rock Survivors has updated bosses! The Dreadnaught now has two new moves, one of which combos viciously with his deadly charge, and the end run boss can be the Twin Dreadies, Lacerator and Arbalest. There's also new goons elite roly poly bug and huli hoarder, as well as a wave of new overclocks and a detailed weapons screen.

Aww yeah. I love these small investment games that only get better and better every season.

Tbh I do really like DRG:S but uh, this update ain't it lol. "We made the most difficult part of the dive, especially on higher difficulties, even harder!" which absolutely the bosses needed some variety but now holy gently caress the reg dread is a nightmare, and the twins are difficult especially if you didn't get enough move speed upgrades.

Also, gently caress the elite Shellback. What an absolute loving rear end in a top hat, literally the most difficult elite by a mile now. Not enough move speed and if it sets up in range of you before you can get away from the acid spray? loving dead or most of your health bar gone, holy poo poo. Please Fun Day, ADD I-FRAMES.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Deep Rock Survivor. First day of playing this update and I found a Huuli Hoarder every run. Today I have yet to find a single one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah this update is really bad in terms of difficulty. Also no new achievements to work towards either.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Azran posted:

Is there an ETA for when HoT gets out of early access? I think I checked last month and it was still EA.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The next big update should be 1.0 - they have all the characters in now and the last patch they put out was mostly a balancing pass.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finished the Contra DLC. Besides Time Warp, all the weapons are pretty bad IMO.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok I think I'm good with gold for a while.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Finished the Contra DLC. Besides Time Warp, all the weapons are pretty bad IMO.

Long gun eats the knife’s breakfast, fire arm is pretty fun and imo is a better fire breath than flames of misspell

I enjoy getting the missiles but they feel underpowered

Shotgun is meh, laser is meh, the claw is funny but not incredible

Edit forgot the spread shot, that kicks rear end

I suspect that they need to increase the roll rate on the special contra item evolution passive, but other than that, I feel like the contra dlc is super worth it

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 18, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ok I think I'm good with gold for a while.

Share your secret with me, oh wise witch of the coffin.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The caterpiller is OP for cash farming.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Share your secret with me, oh wise witch of the coffin.

Sammy with Vicious Hunger. Gets even better if you can banish all active weapons.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The upgraded C-U-Laser is nuts with Amount- It's usually the most damaging weapon I've got outside full-screeners like Sole Solution or Godai Shuffle. You just fill the entire screen with chaining laser blooms.

Even it's base form feels really good with Amount since you can make multiple enduring lasers to chew up approaching enemies from multiple directions.

I will say all 3 main guns felt kinda wimpy, although Long Gun is probably a straight upgrade to the Knife once briefcases are unlocked. The Fire gun is really bad but the rest feel pretty ok.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The mines equipped on newt plisskin are not great and the evolved version has a piddly small black hole

The fire arm is the flame wheel from mega man, and the evolved version looks cool af imo, haters vacate

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My hot take on the Contra DLC is that every weapon but the missiles sucks until they get evolved.

Despite the fact that they're not as good as the Among Us characters I would still recommend buying the Contra DLC because it's more Vampire Survivors to play.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The boss fight in the Contra DLC was worth it alone. It's so fun to skateboard up the walls and flip down.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do wish that the giant roboskeleton was even slightly difficult to defeat, but by minute twenty seven of a run, I am typically capable of destroying a small star system

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Uhhh I was a bit bored so I tried Artifact Seeker and nope, everything about that game screams mismatched asset flip. Music was terrible too, immediate refund.
Is Death must die tolerable enough gameplay wise if you ignore the cringe writing?

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

FrickenMoron posted:

Is Death must die tolerable enough gameplay wise if you ignore the cringe writing?

Very tolerable, and considering I couldn't tell you a single thing a god says due to skipping it every time, it's drat good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, DMD is meant to be played just like any Diablo-like: by smashing the absolute poo poo out of the "Skip" button whenever an NPC starts talking.

I have an extremely nice 69 hours in DMD, easily my favorite spin on the Vampire Survivors formula

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Just remember to set the voice acting volume to 0.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Doom Survivors with a demo, maybe the most generically cursed name yet:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2746830/Doom_Survivors/

quote:

Confronting the Apocalypse
"Doom Survivors" is an action Roguelike game where you become the last survivor, facing an endless army of doom. Control various deadly weapons, obliterate hordes of enemies, and engage in a life-and-death duel with ruthless evil leaders. You are the sole hope, the guardian of this collapsing world.

Experience Personalized Upgrades
Each weapon in the game boasts a set of distinctive evolutionary branches, allowing you to infuse it with a sense of individuality. Embark on a journey of profound exploration, navigating through various branches to identify the evolution path that aligns best with your unique gaming style.

Discover Perfect Combinations
Each hero wields unique skills capable of tipping the scales in battle. By enhancing accessories and equipment, you'll unlock flawless combinations, continually evolving weapons beyond their limits, ensuring that power firmly rests in your hands. With intuitive controls that are easy to grasp, immerse yourself in the despair and hope of this apocalyptic world. Brace yourself, courageously embark on this journey into doom, and relish the thrilling excitement the game unfolds!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Need a bullet heaven where your character is a gamer trying to fight off the hordes of VS clones that Steam keeps recommending for you. Call it Survivor Survivors.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Literally uses the same enemy assets as Rogue Genesia, jeez.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

With so many games of this genre now, should we start a spreadsheet to keep track? Or is there already one?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
no need for a spreadsheet when there's still about five actually worth playing

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just filter for exiledtinkerer posts and you will find like all of them

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Nordic Ashes has entered my top 3 in this genre (with VS and Picayune Dreams). The art is just a bit better than fine and the sound/music are meh, but there's enough cool interactions going on to make it very fun to become OP and the boss fights have some actual thought in them

(caveat: I don't play early access games)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Awesome! posted:

just filter for exiledtinkerer posts and you will find like all of them

This is what I do but the opposite since he will post about any garbage

I wait for someone else to talk about something he posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

emdash posted:

the sound/music are meh

what the gently caress.gif