Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

WirelessPillow posted:

But how will I know where to go if not blindly following an arrow?

I like it when my arrows are named Follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Has anyone seen a good lets Play of Shadows of Doubt out there yet?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pentiment: I am arriving at what I think is the big decision point of act 2 and I know I’m going to feel bad no matter what I do, just like act 1

A nonzero number of people are about to be very upset at Andreas Maler, on top of the people who are already upset from the first act

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not feeling Shadows of Doubt yet. The sneaking seems to get in the way of the sleuthing too often. I’m doing the tutorial case and have no idea how to approach the victim’s place of work. There are laser sweeping cameras that cover the security console so I can’t get to it and disable it. Apart from that I only have a single first name that was in the emails of the second victim and have no clue how to approach it from here. I feel it would be a better game if you were a real detective that were allowed to be in places.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1651205582689570816

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How bad is Tunic with the cryptic stuff ? I'm a big dummy

Estel
May 4, 2010

ymgve posted:

Not feeling Shadows of Doubt yet. The sneaking seems to get in the way of the sleuthing too often. I’m doing the tutorial case and have no idea how to approach the victim’s place of work. There are laser sweeping cameras that cover the security console so I can’t get to it and disable it. Apart from that I only have a single first name that was in the emails of the second victim and have no clue how to approach it from here. I feel it would be a better game if you were a real detective that were allowed to be in places.

In most places I had enough time to unlock the console and disable the cameras between swipes. If it's one that it's fast enough that you can't do it you can always sabotage the camera directly. If it's too high just grab something you can use as a step to reach it. Non-laser cameras can't see in the dark so if you have both types in the same room just close the lights so you only have to worry about the laser ones.

Also, you can always try to check other leads, and most of the time in the crime scene there are multiple leads to follow, sometimes they lead to nothing but you can always get something positive from all of them, even if it's cash to buy things or disks to upgrade your detective.

There is a lot of stealth involved but I feel the game gives you lots of tools and options to do whatever you want to do.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

fit em all up in there posted:

How bad is Tunic with the cryptic stuff ? I'm a big dummy
What do you mean by "cryptic"? If you're worried about having to translate the runic language, that's never necessary, even to get the best ending. Most of the stuff you need to "figure out" is centered more around exploring and experimenting with your inventory.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What do you mean by "cryptic"? If you're worried about having to translate the runic language, that's never necessary, even to get the best ending. Most of the stuff you need to "figure out" is centered more around exploring and experimenting with your inventory.

I was referring to the runic stuff. I was worried it'd be one of those games where you'd need a guide to go along with it or something.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Owl Inspector posted:

Pentiment: I am arriving at what I think is the big decision point of act 2 and I know I’m going to feel bad no matter what I do, just like act 1

A nonzero number of people are about to be very upset at Andreas Maler, on top of the people who are already upset from the first act

Just don't gently caress it up too badly or you'll get him killed off

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't play much of Tunic but from what I remember the runic language stuff mostly felt like it was representative of playing a game as a kid who couldn't read yet and figuring it out anyway. Sort of like it wasn't meant for you to fully understand it.

e: I get that you can translate it but I mean even if you don't it functions as a stand-in for "text I can't read" rather than being "a puzzle blocking the path"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not at all. You can play a delightful Zelda-like and beat the final boss without ever a thought creasing your brow. The puzzle stuff is beaten over your head at the end of the game, so eventually even the biggest dullard figures out what they're supposed to do to get the 'good' ending. There's some really obtuse metagame collectables, but they're literally just vanity trophies that serve no purpose. Decyphering in the manual is likewise an unnecessary extra, the tips are deliberately readable with only knowing English.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 27, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Translating the language is only ever "essential" to figure out like maybe one or two of the super secret treasures that have no bearing on actual game content (i.e. no endings or fights are locked behind them) without trial and error, but there is a bit of slightly obscured logic towards getting the "true" ending (the game does give all the necessary information you need but it might take a bit to cotton to putting what it's telling you to do into practice).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Microsoft was able to go through with acquiring Blizzard/Activision, would it actually legitimately be terrible for consumers / gamers, and the game industry? All i've seen are responses from Sony, who appear to have made nothing but really bad faith arguments.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's bad because the xbox has no games and microsoft could better spend their money on getting interesting IP rather than buying the call of duty factory

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Microsoft can't get Forza Motorsport out this year, and has nothing to show for Fable 4, then they should be forced to shut down Xbox altogether and disband all of their game studios.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They just reconfirmed Forza for later this year like two days ago. Fable though I personally don't expect much of because they have Starfield and Avowed as similar games in the meantime.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Estel posted:

If it's one that it's fast enough that you can't do it you can always sabotage the camera directly. If it's too high just grab something you can use as a step to reach it.

Oh, you can sabotage them? I jumped up and didn't see any prompt so I assumed it was impossible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OgNar posted:

Has anyone seen a good lets Play of Shadows of Doubt out there yet?

Wanderbots played it for a bit. It's gorgeous to look at but the translation is a little weird.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This seems like a thing goons might be interested in listening to.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1651303871757549597

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fit em all up in there posted:

I was referring to the runic stuff. I was worried it'd be one of those games where you'd need a guide to go along with it or something.

Nah I beat the game with the secret ending and all that without doing so, but in a few cases I was helped along through puzzles by realizing based on the context I'd seen it repeated in "oh, this symbol probably means sword" or whatever. But that's probably not necessary either. I think the puzzles are all designed around you never understanding any of it, but if you do that's a bonus

I was also extremely impressed when I read a breakdown of how the script works; it is definitely not a simple A-Z substitution cypher

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Anyone played Deceive Inc? It looks like a cross between TF2 and Evil Genius.

Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how well it actually plays, despite looking pretty decent.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

unruly posted:

Anyone played Deceive Inc? It looks like a cross between TF2 and Evil Genius.

Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how well it actually plays, despite looking pretty decent.

I've played rather a lot of it and it handles very well - but the games also vary wildly between actual spy-sneaking and straight up murderfests if there are enough aggressive players/teams present.

It's very fun, the character variety keeps things interesting, and for now the four different maps - and recent changes to how the vault rooms are set - makes for an engaging time no matter how you chose to approach things.

To add to this, the devs are doing a pretty good job of tweaking characters so far - namely clipping the wings on the over-aggressive spies, and more importantly, buffing the underperformers to keep them more viable.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 27, 2023

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

DarkDobe posted:

I've played rather a lot of it and it handles very well - but the games also vary wildly between actual spy-sneaking and straight up murderfests if there are enough aggressive players/teams present.

It's very fun, the character variety keeps things interesting, and for now the four different maps - and recent changes to how the vault rooms are set - makes for an engaging time no matter how you chose to approach things.

To add to this, the devs are doing a pretty good job of tweaking characters so far - namely clipping the wings on the over-aggressive spies, and more importantly, buffing the underperformers to keep them more viable.
Hmm, neat.

I'll add it to my wishlist for later. I just sort of emptied my wallet on Prey, Kingdom Come, and Dishonored 2. So, I'm gamed up for a while.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

repiv posted:

it's bad because the xbox has no games and microsoft could better spend their money on getting interesting IP rather than buying the call of duty factory

There RAM. It's no good.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

unruly posted:

Hmm, neat.

I'll add it to my wishlist for later. I just sort of emptied my wallet on Prey, Kingdom Come, and Dishonored 2. So, I'm gamed up for a while.

To note here: Teams are trios - but you can queue as a pair if you want a challenge. I highly recommend finding 2 friends to play with, if you're going to play teams - going in as a pair is a steep disadvantage.

Trio games are definitely prone to devolving into gun battles - especially if one team does not immediately wipe the other - everyone will tend to gravitate to the location while bodies are staked out and camped, and it ends the game when there is a single team left standing. Not to say this is a bad thing, but it's not exactly going to be heavy on the spycraft aspects.

Solo, on the other hand, will have enough people sticking to the spy stuff and enough others being aggressive that no matter what happens it will usually go to the limit with a proper fight over extraction - which is where things tend to shine most. There's an art to coaxing waiting spies into fighting one another while you make a clean getaway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

Oh God please post what ended up happening at the end of your Act 2 :hellyeah:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

unruly posted:

Hmm, neat.

I just sort of emptied my wallet on Prey, Kingdom Come, and Dishonored 2.

I can't speak to KC since I haven't played it yet, but great pickups with D2 and especially Prey. The first time through that game is a treat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Literally the gameplay of 80 Days

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yes Steam, I get that you hate poors but I could live without the nastygram cluttering up my UI.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Windows 10 not a free upgrade anymore?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Linux is always free too (unless you value your time)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My computer's so old I'm afraid to make any changes to it for fear of the whole thing breaking down.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

super sweet best pal posted:

My computer's so old I'm afraid to make any changes to it for fear of the whole thing breaking down.

get a new cheap SSD and just replace the whole drive - if everything fails you can just plop back the old one

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Echoing what the others have said; I was basically in the same boat ages ago, and decided that I was too drat old to be pirating win2k anymore and made the jump to linux. Turns out it plays very nicely with older hardware, and was relatively painless if you're willing to leave a few things behind. You can try out Ubuntu from a thumb drive and see if it sets up without hiccups before you commit to it.

Regardless of if you do that or not, a cheap SSD is easy to just plug it in (unless your HDDs are still PATA, which I doubt), copy the contents of your old drive over wholesale, and then figure out the future from there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
You can also try Pop_OS for a more gaming friendly linux distro :kiddo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam Deck is my Linux PC. If I have problems in Desktop Mode (and I often do) then I just Google the solution and can usually find it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God please post what ended up happening at the end of your Act 2 :hellyeah:

Andreas Maler loves books.

He loved books to the end.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Linus Tech Tips had a video about that just today, check out their video which outlines somewhat how it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc7CIkZcWYE

The website in question is this, I'm on windows 11 and won't be using it but it may be of value to anyone with older gear, at your own risk of course.https://atlasos.net/downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

Andreas Maler loves books.

He does. He really, really does.

Did :negative: