Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Chubby Henparty posted:

Same but US and 'the cancer'

I don't think I've ever heard anyone here in the US say "the" cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

so what's the single word for theft of mature crops of plants

I got ChatGPT to suggest “croplifting” which is a pretty great one.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

smackfu posted:

I got ChatGPT to suggest “croplifting” which is a pretty great one.

lol so not only was it right, it's even a step ahead of us

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 7, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

hooah posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone here in the US say "the" cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT0Ki0P4mc&pp=ygUhTm8gY291bnRyeSBmb3Igb2xkIG1lbiB0aGUgY2FuY2Vy

Might be a cormac mccarthy thing :allears:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, os x vs windows question.

so i have a mouse with a wheel on my windows machine. when i scroll down a notch, the page moves down a fixed distance x. when i scroll down another notch, it goes down the same distance x. when i scroll down like 10 notches in a single move, it scrolls down a distance 10x. there's a linear move here.

i also have a mouse with a wheel on my os x machine. same type of mouse. when i scroll down a notch, the page moves down a fixed distance y, which is way smaller than x. when i scroll down another notch, it goes down the same distance y. when i scroll down like 10 notches in a single move, all hell breaks loose. it goes down like the whole page. it's a nonlinear move. like the first notches are y, then the distances increase with every notch afterward. it accelerates, effectively.

i loving hate the os x way, and would love to get the windows behavior in os x. is there any way to do this? also, this isn't browser specific. this is something system-wide.

if there's a better thread, feel free to point me to it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

abelwingnut posted:

so i have a mouse with a wheel on my windows machine. when i scroll down a notch, the page moves down a fixed distance x. when i scroll down another notch, it goes down the same distance x. when i scroll down like 10 notches in a single move, it scrolls down a distance 10x. there's a linear move here.

i also have a mouse with a wheel on my os x machine. same type of mouse. when i scroll down a notch, the page moves down a fixed distance y, which is way smaller than x. when i scroll down another notch, it goes down the same distance y. when i scroll down like 10 notches in a single move, all hell breaks loose. it goes down like the whole page. it's a nonlinear move. like the first notches are y, then the distances increase with every notch afterward. it accelerates, effectively.

i loving hate the os x way, and would love to get the windows behavior in os x. is there any way to do this? also, this isn't browser specific. this is something system-wide.

Try System Settings > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Trackpad Settings, and uncheck use inertia when scrolling. That a) should also apply to the mouse, and b) ought to work. No guarantees, though. I haven't messed with it and don't have a mouse handy to check.

Also: Here is the MacOS Software thread, if that doesn't work you'll get a ton of people suggesting a bunch of crap to fiddle with scrolling.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

As a person who splits my time between Win, Linux and macOS pretty evenly, my advice is to try to get used to it.

There used to be a program called USB Overdrive that made the mouse response on mac feel more like win, but it was discontinued due to changes in how macOS allowed low level drivers like that.

With each OS the mouse feels different and it's annoying at first, but I've gotten used to each one over time.

I think the inertia that was mentioned is a different thing. Sadly I'm at my mac laptop now, but not with a mouse and can't test.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Zenostein posted:

Try System Settings > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Trackpad Settings, and uncheck use inertia when scrolling. That a) should also apply to the mouse, and b) ought to work. No guarantees, though. I haven't messed with it and don't have a mouse handy to check.

Also: Here is the MacOS Software thread, if that doesn't work you'll get a ton of people suggesting a bunch of crap to fiddle with scrolling.

sadly, this did not work. thanks, though. i'll ask that thread if nothing pops up here in the next few hours or so.

lobsterminator posted:

As a person who splits my time between Win, Linux and macOS pretty evenly, my advice is to try to get used to it.

There used to be a program called USB Overdrive that made the mouse response on mac feel more like win, but it was discontinued due to changes in how macOS allowed low level drivers like that.

With each OS the mouse feels different and it's annoying at first, but I've gotten used to each one over time.

I think the inertia that was mentioned is a different thing. Sadly I'm at my mac laptop now, but not with a mouse and can't test.

i mean, i've been trying for a year now. i just...cannot get used to it. trying to scroll through 2000+ lines of code is amazingly awful.

i just want a constant rate of scroll, damnit!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

lobsterminator posted:

I'm pretty sure the inertia is not just the 'keeps scrolling if you go down a bunch' setting, but also the scroll acceleration.

But yeah, I rather like it for zipping through a ton of text. You get used to it and then it's generally quite nice, especially if you've got images or whatever that doesn't really have "lines."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

abelwingnut posted:

sadly, this did not work. thanks, though. i'll ask that thread if nothing pops up here in the next few hours or so.

i mean, i've been trying for a year now. i just...cannot get used to it. trying to scroll through 2000+ lines of code is amazingly awful.

i just want a constant rate of scroll, damnit!

I went through this a few years back when my work switched us all to MacBooks. I tried the various DIY solutions out there on the Internet but finally just bought a program called Steermouse which lets you customize your mouse behavior to exactly what you want.

It's a little ridiculous that it requires a $20 program just to have basic mouse options that should be built into the OS, but it does work extremely well. In my case all I do is disable the pointer acceleration and set the wheel to a nice fixed 3 lines per clickstop, and like magic, suddenly I can use a Mac without wanting to hurl it off a bridge.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abelwingnut posted:

You might want to search "scroll acceleration", since this is basically the scrollwheel version of mouse acceleration.

Using that search keyword I found stackexchange and reddit threads with two different pieces of software that claim to fix it. You'll have to test them out to see if they still work or some osx update broke them because neither has released a new version since 2022.

https://github.com/emreyolcu/discrete-scroll
https://github.com/noah-nuebling/mac-mouse-fix

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of tea (without milk) today and there was a particularly hot bit of chilli in one bite; I drank some tea and noticed that the residual chilli "heat" in my mouth dropped significantly and didn't return. Prior experience tells me that drinking water generally doesn't work nearly so well. Is there some reason that tea would be better for overcoming the burning sensation of chillis than plain water? Or was it more likely some other factor?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 8, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooah posted:

I was recently reminded that Brits (at least) say "the" menopause. Do they use that construction for puberty too? In either case, what is the reason for the article?

Can a British person confirm this is true, cos I'm pretty sure it isn't

Also turns out this was Big Beat btw

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When I was young (mid 90s) every grocery store's banana bin had a stuffed monkey attached to a bar that rotated so the monkey flipped over it.

1. Wtf was that about
2. Did those have a name bc some people don't believe me about this and I can't find any evidence through Google

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you sure it wasn't just the one grocery store that your family took you to and not all of them? I was young in the mid 90s and didn't see that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah grocery stores are highly regional, what was your main local chain where you grew up? I definitely do not recall such a thing in the 90s.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My mom was the type to go to different chains for different products and they all, unrelated companies, had them

Bizarre

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Can a British person confirm this is true, cos I'm pretty sure it isn't

I thought I've heard it from more than one source, but it's possible I'm conflating the multiple times I've heard it on Skeptics With a K.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Am British. Yes people very commonly say 'the menopause' - maybe like 60-80% of people ime

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for a VPN solution for my parents. They'll be traveling and would want to access some EU-geolocked content. I've heard plenty of ads of course but I need something that's not a scam and can be paid for a few weeks or a month without getting into ridiculous subscriptions. Needs to work with a Surface like windows tablet, optionally also Android phones.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm looking for a VPN solution for my parents. They'll be traveling and would want to access some EU-geolocked content. I've heard plenty of ads of course but I need something that's not a scam and can be paid for a few weeks or a month without getting into ridiculous subscriptions. Needs to work with a Surface like windows tablet, optionally also Android phones.

This is a nice no nonsense VPN. No subscriptions, you only pay for more time and the price is always the same so no one year discounts. I used to use them, but then I realized my Protonmail includes a VPN.

https://mullvad.net/en

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

This is a nice no nonsense VPN. No subscriptions, you only pay for more time and the price is always the same so no one year discounts. I used to use them, but then I realized my Protonmail includes a VPN.

Mullvad is excellent, I've been using them for years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lobsterminator posted:

Awesome, that looks perfect. Doubt I'd even find it myself without digging through mountains of NordVPN spam :)

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Why is "The Wood Beyond" by Reginald Hill the only Daziel and Pascoe book out of 23+ in the series still not available in the US as an ebook?

It's the 14th or so published, other titles by the author are available as ebooks, including titles that probably don't have 1/10th the brand recognition in the US, the paperbacks were published in the US by the same publisher as others in the series, and it's available as an ebook in the UK.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

thepopmonster posted:

Why is "The Wood Beyond" by Reginald Hill the only Daziel and Pascoe book out of 23+ in the series still not available in the US as an ebook?

It's the 14th or so published, other titles by the author are available as ebooks, including titles that probably don't have 1/10th the brand recognition in the US, the paperbacks were published in the US by the same publisher as others in the series, and it's available as an ebook in the UK.

Goodreads lists an ebook edition published July 2015 by HarperCollins. They also seemingly published the rest of the books in the series.

However it seems that since then the series switched publishers to MysteriousPress.com, which published newer ebook editions of every book in the series besides this one in 2019, so the harpercollins ebooks can no longer be bought. Worldcat lists a bunch of libraries which still have the harpercollins ebook available to borrow though, and also links to it on archive.org

I have no clue why MysteriousPress skipped it, but it might have something to do with weird audible licensing. The older books have audible ebooks published in 2009, but The Wood Beyond's audiobook version was published later, in 2015. Maybe it was under a different contract, one that restricts "competing" digital releases?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

A stupid question occurred to me when I opened a Wikipedia article and saw one of those "this article needs additional citations for verification" boxes on top, which had been there for over ten years. (These are apparently called "template messages".)

What's the oldest such "template message" still existing on a wikipedia article? A quick google wasn't helpful but this seems like the kind of thing that someone would be tracking for shits and grins.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Wiki sets up a category for all pages with one of those every month. The oldest one currently listed is from 2006. There might well be older ones but you'd probably need to write a bot to find them.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sometimes I use Google One's VPN when connecting to Public Networks. However, on some networks, if the VPN is activated, the WiFi does not work. It instantly works again once I turn the VPN off.

Is this because this network has some setting where they do not allow VPN's? Is there a fix for this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Busy Bee posted:

Sometimes I use Google One's VPN when connecting to Public Networks. However, on some networks, if the VPN is activated, the WiFi does not work. It instantly works again once I turn the VPN off.

Is this because this network has some setting where they do not allow VPN's? Is there a fix for this?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I also experience this if I have my private DNS connected (NextDNS in my case), so I'm also interested in that.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Media Player Classic HC hasn't been updated since 2017. What media player/codec pack has filled in the gaps since then? I like a minimalist UI with barebones features that can play 4K media files without frame rate issues.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Trickortreat posted:

Media Player Classic HC hasn't been updated since 2017. What media player/codec pack has filled in the gaps since then? I like a minimalist UI with barebones features that can play 4K media files without frame rate issues.

VLC has been my go-to forever

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trickortreat posted:

I am still using k-lite codec pack which comes with mpc-hc plus a bunch of codec bs and it works just fine for my use cases (no clue about 4k though). It appears to be using this mpc-hc fork which is still in active development as of September 7 2023. The magic of open source!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Some places refuse to let you log in to the Wi-Fi while running the vpn. You can often turn it on afterwards but this will take away the anonymity of the connection so Starbucks doesn’t have to worry about someone running phishing scams in the corner.

To my knowledge there is no fix for this. Companies tracking your data will know about your Starbucks visit.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Likely they're blocking whatever ports are used by default by the most common VPNs; if you were running the VPN server you could set it use the 'standard' https port and probably sneak through that way? But I doubt you can do that with Google's.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trickortreat posted:

VLC has a ton of features but the UI is minimalist and you can ignore anything you don't care about (ie. 90% of it). Plus, you can use Ninite to install and update it, along with the K-Lite codecs you'll also want. You check off anything you want to install on the website and receive a customised installer that grabs all of them - and if you run it again it checks for and installs updates.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I've never come across a video file that VLC couldn't play. I don't know about smooth 4K playback, I can't afford that many pixels.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Two questions:

1) Do we have a thread or forum somewhere that talks about documentaries? Historical ones, particularly.

2) I want to run videos in my second monitor and learn stuff and not rely on trying to verify if random youtube channels are educated/have worthwhile sources. Is there a good place to find / check out history documentaries?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

2) I want to run videos in my second monitor and learn stuff and not rely on trying to verify if random youtube channels are educated/have worthwhile sources. Is there a good place to find / check out history documentaries?

I have bad news about historical documentaries

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I s2g there was a Canadian law thread, where'd it go?

Alternatively if theres Canadian law people in this thread, do I need to register a business to sell things on etsy?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have bad news about historical documentaries

Alright, do you have any alternatives? I want to watch/listen to someone teach me history stuff.