Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
An early IWA-mid south show, wrestlers from some other promotions were there as fans heckling one of the wrestlers. Wrestler proceeds to lose it and chases them through the crowd causing chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dick Bastardly posted:

I remember a pre-match mic promo, ringside (i believe it was TNA) in which Bubba Ray Dudley was walking around the ring, poo poo talking his opponent (don't remember who) and getting heat by harassing any crowd member that leaned over the barricade to pat him on the back/shoulder. Bubba made the threat that the next fan who touched him was getting dragged over the barricade and beaten up by Bubba himself or something to that effect.

This one particular fan who was quite obviously suffering from downs syndrome leaned over and touched Bubba like 30 seconds after he made the threat, and Bubba swung around and was about the berate the living hell out of the guy but stopped mid-breath and just looked at him for what seemed like an awkwardly long time (probably weighing the pros and cons of insulting a retarded person) and then just said "Ah, forget it" and continued on with the promo. A noble decision imo.

I'm wondering if there are any tales of wrestlers who were less than honorable about their ringside fan interactions. Like maybe assaulting a fan (CM punk did this I think in WWE) or making fun of a disabled person.

Non-kayfabe stories preferred.

There's a video somewhere of Triple H as a heel walking back up the ramp, doing this usual thing, until he sees a fan with Down's Syndrome in the front row. I think the cameras were off at this point, or otherwise not on Hunter, because his face totally lights up and he starts doing this whole back and forth with the kid, both of them laughing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

I remember a pre-match mic promo, ringside (i believe it was TNA) in which Bubba Ray Dudley was walking around the ring, poo poo talking his opponent (don't remember who) and getting heat by harassing any crowd member that leaned over the barricade to pat him on the back/shoulder. Bubba made the threat that the next fan who touched him was getting dragged over the barricade and beaten up by Bubba himself or something to that effect.

This one particular fan who was quite obviously suffering from downs syndrome leaned over and touched Bubba like 30 seconds after he made the threat, and Bubba swung around and was about the berate the living hell out of the guy but stopped mid-breath and just looked at him for what seemed like an awkwardly long time (probably weighing the pros and cons of insulting a retarded person) and then just said "Ah, forget it" and continued on with the promo. A noble decision imo.

I'm wondering if there are any tales of wrestlers who were less than honorable about their ringside fan interactions. Like maybe assaulting a fan (CM punk did this I think in WWE) or making fun of a disabled person.

Non-kayfabe stories preferred.

Chris Hero LOVED decking fans. This group of fans wanted to throw a working punch at CM Punk when he was selling at ringside and he tried to warn them not to, but didn't stop them in time. Hero saw them throw a punch at Punk and came over and nailed the guy.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Chris Hero punched a fan who touched him right in the face, and Green Lantern Fan has almost died at the hands of several wrestlers.

There's also that gif of Parka punching that fan who tugs at his mask.

hahah omg please link GLF getting beat up by talent, this will make my holiday season even more magical

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There are a lot of instances of fans coming into the ring, usually during a match but not always. 99% of the time they get the poo poo beat out of them by either the wrestlers or the ref, until security gets there. It's not *quite* the same. Frankly I don't blame them, who knows what that person is going to do in that setting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Austin Aries decked a fan once too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dick Bastardly posted:

hahah omg please link GLF getting beat up by talent, this will make my holiday season even more magical

Sadly I've only ever seen people talk about it largely, but there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3zTHfo3oc

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Sadly I've only ever seen people talk about it largely, but there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3zTHfo3oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9QlF4tKUL4

Edit: fixed an errant forward slash that made the video incomprehensible to a computer, should work now.

Dick Bastardly fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 1, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's a video somewhere of Triple H as a heel walking back up the ramp, doing this usual thing, until he sees a fan with Down's Syndrome in the front row. I think the cameras were off at this point, or otherwise not on Hunter, because his face totally lights up and he starts doing this whole back and forth with the kid, both of them laughing.

Isn't there phone video of Trips dropping character to comfort a disabled child who got scared?

You're alright sometimes, Paul. :yaycloud:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Isn't there phone video of Trips dropping character to comfort a disabled child who got scared?

Not sure about HHH but Shawn Michaels definitely did. It was a match against Austin and I think somehow the kid got over the barrier or otherwise interfered, so Shawn noticed and went over to help while Austin stayed in character in the ring. It was taped by WWE but may have been a house show or something similar.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

It also reminds me of when Connor the Crusher went over Triple H, and the video shows all the wrestlers at ringside losing their loving minds when the kid hooks the leg for the pin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Video unavailable

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It also reminds me of when Connor the Crusher went over Triple H, and the video shows all the wrestlers at ringside losing their loving minds when the kid hooks the leg for the pin.

And Hunter doing one of his classic "shotgun blast" sells for Connor's punch. :unsmith:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Video unavailable

fixed

Dick Bastardly fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 1, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Triple H and Stephanie were at commentary and a kid just behind started crying. Back when commentary was at ringside.

They both broke and tried comforting the kid, then apparently invited the kid and his father backstage after.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Triple H and Stephanie were at commentary and a kid just behind started crying. Back when commentary was at ringside.

They both broke and tried comforting the kid, then apparently invited the kid and his father backstage after.

Father: maybe if I jab my kid in the ribs and make him/her cry I'll get invited backstage! :thunk:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found the video I was looking for, turns out it was at the 1997 King of the Ring.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vv26i

Around the 6:40 mark, if you're interested.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I found the video I was looking for, turns out it was at the 1997 King of the Ring.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vv26i

Around the 6:40 mark, if you're interested.
So here's what I've always wondered:

Was calling the fan a "Special Olympian" an attempted face-save or something on Vince's part, or was he actually there in conjunction with the Special Olympics? It's WWE, after all, so I can see completely legitimately arguments for both.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

davidbix posted:

So here's what I've always wondered:

Was calling the fan a "Special Olympian" an attempted face-save or something on Vince's part, or was he actually there in conjunction with the Special Olympics? It's WWE, after all, so I can see completely legitimately arguments for both.

In my search, I found a Reddit post that *claims* they had talked about the Special Olympics earlier and that's why that person was in attendance, partially. I don't know how true that is and don't have the Network check at the moment.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has WWE tried to re-sign John Morrison at any point?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’d expect them to at least try at this point. He’s hot in TNA and he’s on the current season of Survivor. Which I don’t think TNA has mentioned at all.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Didn’t TNA have a lady from survivor wrestle for them once
Like not a wrestler, just a lady

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

checksin posted:

Yeah it was Jenna Morasca and she had a match against Booker T’s wife Sharmell and it’s horrible

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

checksin posted:

no

she was in the ring

calling it wrestling is denigrating to wrestling

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
is having crushed fluorescent lightbulb (with extra mercury) sprinkled into my eyeballs wrestling?

because where do I sign up am I right?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dick Bastardly posted:

is having crushed fluorescent lightbulb (with extra mercury) sprinkled into my eyeballs wrestling?

Did you act in 1994 movie Airheads because if so you’ve got an automatic in

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

Only if it looks really loving cool. It usually does.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah it was Jenna Morasca and she had a match against Booker T’s wife Sharmell and it’s horrible

MINUS FIVE STARS!!!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Here's that Morasco vs Sharmell match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4MceD3fHHU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Speaking of John Morrison, I recently watched the web series Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe, which features Morrison as the Eternal Warrior. He has the look and his one action sequence is good, but holy poo poo is it hard to see him do his laid-back, whispery acting when trying to be something other than a douchebag wrestler.

Batista's in talks to play the same character for an Eternal Warrior movie and I'm interested in seeing how that would work out.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
John Morrison is sexy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wasn't the knock against him before that he was only decent in pre-taped promos and pretty bad on a live mic?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

anakha posted:

Wasn't the knock against him before that he was only decent in pre-taped promos and pretty bad on a live mic?

It's too bad that pro wrestling doesn't have any sort of time tested way to protect bad promos who are otherwise good at everything else. Oh well. Can't be helped.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8scRGSyFIM

They wasted this guy so much

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

wrestlers at ringside losing their loving minds when the kid hooks the leg for the pin.

Hell, I lost my goddamn mind when he hooked the leg. One of the best things I've ever seen.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

anakha posted:

Yeah I was a big fan of Morrison but he was the reverse of my usual favorite wrestlers. I care a lot more about a person's mic skills and ability to play their character than other internet wrestling fans seem to, and Morrison basically had no in-ring character and sucked rear end on the mic. He was capable of being very entertaining, as the dirt sheet link above will show you, but he just could not cut a decent in-ring promo.

He definitely had the look and was fun to watch in the ring. I remember hearing not long before he left WWE that he was taking acting classes and I thought it was cool that he recognized his flaws and wanted to work on them. Then he wasn't in WWE anymore, and I haven't seen much of him in LU or now TNA, nor have I watched his movies... but I hear he still isn't great at acting.

This is the questions thread, so here's a related question: Did any wrestler ever say anything about taking the move Starship Pain? Obviously their role is pretty easy (lay still), but I used to have a theory that Morrison intentionally landed the move oddly because the alternative would really suck for his opponent. This was when people regularly complained that he always botched the move, and it seemed weird to me that Morrison would be so athletic otherwise and then just consistently gently caress up his finisher. Especially since he often dragged them into position.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dromal phrenia posted:

I hear he still isn't great at acting.

oh word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jS-IaejaAU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I think it looks awkward because anything with a split legged bounce off the ropes is gonna be hard to hit consistently

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah I was a big fan of Morrison but he was the reverse of my usual favorite wrestlers. I care a lot more about a person's mic skills and ability to play their character than other internet wrestling fans seem to, and Morrison basically had no in-ring character and sucked rear end on the mic. He was capable of being very entertaining, as the dirt sheet link above will show you, but he just could not cut a decent in-ring promo.

He definitely had the look and was fun to watch in the ring. I remember hearing not long before he left WWE that he was taking acting classes and I thought it was cool that he recognized his flaws and wanted to work on them. Then he wasn't in WWE anymore, and I haven't seen much of him in LU or now TNA, nor have I watched his movies... but I hear he still isn't great at acting.

This is the questions thread, so here's a related question: Did any wrestler ever say anything about taking the move Starship Pain? Obviously their role is pretty easy (lay still), but I used to have a theory that Morrison intentionally landed the move oddly because the alternative would really suck for his opponent. This was when people regularly complained that he always botched the move, and it seemed weird to me that Morrison would be so athletic otherwise and then just consistently gently caress up his finisher. Especially since he often dragged them into position.

At least in LU he knew he wasn't great at acting and leaned into it. His character is very intentionally hammy. He was also fine in his five minutes in GLOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

dromal phrenia posted:

I've always had conflicting feelings on that move, it looks so cool in motion but the impact itself seems really wimpy because so much of the movement and rotation is going into his legs, which just sort of clatter against the mat. I remember wishing he'd set guys further out and hit them with his legs so it would look more convincing but a couple years later when I actually thought about it I realized that it would look convincing because it would actually really loving hurt.