Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lobster22221 posted:

If you replaced every final fantasy character with birds, which game would be improved the most?

X-2. Maybe not in game quality but I'm sure birbgirls in skimpy outfits would clean up in fetish money and people buying it "ironically".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ffxv but they're chocobos

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Ffxv but they're chocobos

Chocobros. It'd improve the doalogue.
"Wark?"
"Wark!"
"Kweh!" (that's Prompto)

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Bruceski posted:

Chocobros. It'd improve the doalogue.
"Wark?"
"Wark!"
"Kweh!" (that's Prompto)

Which one is the Choccobo's Dungeon Chocobo?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

IX would bring a new angle to Lord Avon's "I Want to Be your Canary," but IX is good enough as is that it'd really be more of a sidegrade. Also, I'm pretty sure IX already has bird people, or at least one bird person.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait to ride The Big Bird to the moon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

I can't wait to ride The Big Bird to the moon.

Didn't that already happen in XIII? Or do you just ride the bird BACK from the moon; I forget.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

Time to hack the Genji Glove so my party can wield eight shields.

Long have I sought the shield of legend, scoured have I the furthest marches, east and west!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
iirc Dual shields was actually a good idea in ff2 because it would help you max evasion.

The downside is that you have to play ff2.

Just kidding, there is no downside. Because nobody plays ff2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Angel Wing functions as a "magic berserk" causing Rhinoa to spam random offensive spells with a 5x multiplier, heavily weighted towards lovely stuff like Scan and Fira or whatever. The two keys are that 1) Rhinoa won't cast spells she doesn't have, and 2) Angel Wing doesn't use curative and support magic. So just give her no offensive magic except Meteor (junctioned to Magic), hit Angel Wing, and watch postgame bosses just kinda evaporate in a hail of 8x9999s.

Also note that Rinoa can use Demi to do 125% of an opponent's current HP with Angel Wing.

The only drawbacks are that it won't do over 9999 and a lot of tough things are immune to Gravity anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

iirc Dual shields was actually a good idea in ff2 because it would help you max evasion.

i do

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

After I'm done with Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, I'm going to play Final Fantasy 2. You won't be able to stop me, not even with a speeding vehicle of some kind.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lobster22221 posted:

If you replaced every final fantasy character with birds, which game would be improved the most?

Candidate A:

Blitzball but with Chocobos.

Lightning Dodging but with Chocobos.

Chocobo Racing but with Chocobos.

Candidate B:

Midgar Highway but with Chocobos.

Snowboarding but with Chocobos.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Well, apparently people play ff2.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

lobster22221 posted:

Well, apparently people play ff2.

Nobody lives a life without regrets.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont regret playing ff2, but i have plenty of other regrets so i guess your post is still true....

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
ff2 helped me realize exactly how much bullshit I am willing to put up with. So in that regard I don't regret playing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Magic is very good in Zodiac Age because it deals burst AoE dmg and you can have 3 mages firing spells non stop.

Physical dmg is still the way to go but magic never stops being useful against large groups.

I like the balance of magic vs. physical in Zodiac Age because of this. Physical wins in single-target, but killing groups never stops being useful.

If you really want to you can do some crazy poo poo with magic against single targets, too, but you'll need to have Reflect on your whole group so you can bounce triple-spells off of them. Give your healer an Opal Ring so they can ignore the Reflect status and you're set. Eventually physical attacks will still beat that for damage, but it's still pretty fun to watch triple -aga spells explode a hunt target. (Or quadruple, if you do this with Reddas in the group.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

FF9 was fairly balanced for a game that didn't allow more than 9999 multi-hits outside of Trance. You had Dragon Crest/Thievery/Shock/Throw, but you also had some easy elemental options in Vivi/Garnet/Eiko (and every boss except humanoids had an elemental weakness), and of course the 4x Reflect trick.
You forgot Steiner's best ability, "Charge!", which can actually do 4x9999 every turn if you're buff enough and wielding properly elemental weapons or whatever

I am such a white knight for Charge! that I make this post about twice a year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You forgot Steiner's best ability, "Charge!", which can actually do 4x9999 every turn if you're buff enough and wielding properly elemental weapons or whatever

I am such a white knight for Charge! that I make this post about twice a year.

Steiner...

is good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My year of final fantasy is going really well, I just got back to underworld in 4 and doing some side quest work. Should be able to start 5 next week.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Candidate A:

Blitzball but with Chocobos.

Lightning Dodging but with Chocobos.

Candidate B:

Midgar Highway but with Chocobos.

Snowboarding but with Chocobos.

This would be better with Tonberries. Mobius and Word of Final Fantasy have already proven this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King Tonberry is a cool dude, yes.

World of Final Fantasy backloaded like its entire story and narrative to the last two chapters, even when theres no reason at all to do so, huh.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Four Job Fiesta is probably not the best way to play FFV for the first time, yeah? I've always wanted to join one but I don't think I'll be done with FFVI in time to do a regular first playthrough of FFV before the Fiesta begins. I've read some of Sullla's solo challenge write-ups and FFV sounds like a total blast.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

apophenium posted:

Four Job Fiesta is probably not the best way to play FFV for the first time, yeah? I've always wanted to join one but I don't think I'll be done with FFVI in time to do a regular first playthrough of FFV before the Fiesta begins. I've read some of Sullla's solo challenge write-ups and FFV sounds like a total blast.

i wouldn't recommend it. most of the draw of ff5 is playing around with the job system and setting up characters as you like. limiting that would remove a lot of the fun for a first playthrough imo. that said, it's completely doable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

apophenium posted:

If you have decision paralysis, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, no.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

Fair enough, but I'd rather have it for most of the WoR, plus it's not like the Ragnarok magicite does anything worthwhile besides teach Ultima :v:

You can use it to turn brachiosaurs in to Economizers, I think? There's a couple enemies its polymorph setup is potentially useful against.

e: Also multiple enemies can be made in to genji gloves, or safety bits, cursed rings...etc. Morph is real good for rare item farming.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It depends. While FFV isn't really a hard game if you know what you're doing, it's got enough of a difficulty curve that a fiesta run can be rough if you don't, and some job combos will absolutely be tedious enough that you risk bouncing off if it's your first time. On the other hand, if you're the type who suffers from decision paralysis, the narrowed focus of a fiesta run might be just what you need to actually finish the game. Also, while I don't know your gaming habits and preferences, there's nothing actually stopping you from moving on to V right away and coming back to VI later.

E:f;b, that's what I get for writing more words.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2018

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Counterargument: it's absolutely the best way to play the game, even for a first-timer. I tried and failed to get into the game several times before I decided to just go with a FJF one year and it made the game fun as heck. All the arguments from a few pages back are true from both sides. The game is a neat little puzzle box that you can straight up grind your way through with no effort if you want to, and the only way to appreciate its neat-puzzle-box-ness is to voluntarily limit yourself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

apophenium posted:

Depends on your playstyle, but probably not.

As far as time constraints, do note that FFV is a fast-playing game (one of the reasons it's great for the Fiesta, the speedrun's down to under 4 hours without any major skips and even playing casually experienced players can do a run in a few days of downtime unless they have a job combo that hits a wall somewhere), the Fiesta doesn't start until June, and goes for something like three months. It's a lot more managable than it seems if you're used to FF games with 20+ hour playtime. It still depends on your free time and how you want to spend it, of course.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One thing to note: If you do decide to make the fiesta your first playthrough, definitely don't do berserker risk. These days the fiesta consistently raises enough money that every risker is guaranteed at least two berserkers and will likely end up with three. This is a good problem to have, but while berserkers can be fun in their own way, I would never recommend using multiple to a first timer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can use it to turn brachiosaurs in to Economizers, I think? There's a couple enemies its polymorph setup is potentially useful against.

no, brachiosaur turns into dried meat :downs:

they only drop economizers. the base drop rate is pretty high, but the true drop rate is low because not every mob will actually drop anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've played the first hour or so of FFV before, but never got too far into it for whatever reason. I'm totally doing the Four Job Fiesta this year though, since I was planning on running through the rest of the early FF games I haven't played in some form anyways. The community aspect of it sounds really enticing to me too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

apophenium posted:

It's absolutely worth doing. As long as you don't pick any of the "i'm an idiot and i want this to be harder" options you're basically guaranteed to have a good party and it cuts down on the "gotta grind em all" problem.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's also a ton of people in the FJF thread (whenever it goes up) and Discord that help out all the time, not to mention there's a ton of strategies and info compiled to help out on this sort of thing (including my own).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

One thing to note: If you do decide to make the fiesta your first playthrough, definitely don't do berserker risk. These days the fiesta consistently raises enough money that every risker is guaranteed at least two berserkers and will likely end up with three. This is a good problem to have, but while berserkers can be fun in their own way, I would never recommend using multiple to a first timer.

:agreed: One berserker is not a bad thing on a team. The autoattack can be annoying but it's a strong character with access to good weapons (particularly doom scythes). Similarly, more than one berserker is not a problem... except when your lack of options and control suddenly is. Managing a berserker team through things like Living Flame and Sandworm is an exercise in masochism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: Also multiple enemies can be made in to genji gloves, or safety bits, cursed rings...etc. Morph is real good for rare item farming.

Only 4 items that be morphed that can't be obtained by Colosseum betting. The safety bit, the ichigeki, the relic ring and the cursed ring (which you can get once by the cursed shield but why the hell would you do such a thing). The safety bit is good but you get one in the fanatics tower, you already get an ichigeki as part of the story getting Shadow, and the two rings aren't that great in my opinion. All the other good stuff (Genji gloves, exp eggs, ribbon, etc) can be obtained in other ways. Now yeah it's probably a bit faster to do the morph way, but not by much.

Still would rather have the best sword in the game through most of the playthrough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Only 4 items that be morphed that can't be obtained by Colosseum betting. The safety bit, the ichigeki, the relic ring and the cursed ring (which you can get once by the cursed shield but why the hell would you do such a thing). The safety bit is good but you get one in the fanatics tower, you already get an ichigeki as part of the story getting Shadow, and the two rings aren't that great in my opinion. All the other good stuff (Genji gloves, exp eggs, ribbon, etc) can be obtained in other ways. Now yeah it's probably a bit faster to do the morph way, but not by much.

Still would rather have the best sword in the game through most of the playthrough.

You can get 99 of them as soon as you get Relm.

...Assuming your game isn't straight fubar'd in the process.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

You can get 99 of them as soon as you get Relm.

...Assuming your game isn't straight fubar'd in the process.

I crashed my emulator the last time I played FF6 because I thought "Intangir is powerful... I bet you his Sketch casts Meteor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So real talk: Who taught Behemoths how to cast top tier spells? Why are these mighty apex predators of the monster kingdom also powerful wizards who drop meteors on you?