Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

The only Bethesda games I like are the id software games.

You're not a fan of the Arkane games ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the arkane games are all very dope but they all go on mondo discount so soon and prey never got any dlc so i worry that bethesda might be upset about having a competent dev around

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t like them at all and I don’t totally understand why.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

mcbexx posted:

Isn't the combination of OLED and console gaming still a problem due to burn-in?
It's not as bad as it was in the infancy of OLEDs, but from what I gather it's still something to be considered?

I am currently checking out TVs as well and while it's mostly marketing bullshit, Samsung's QLED (which is still LCD with a fancier name to sound "better" than OLED) looks very nice. Both the 65" 8DN or 9FN models are currently on my shortlist. But maybe I should take this to the TV thread in IyG.

Modern OLEDs should not have any problem with permanent burn-in unless you literally have the same static image on the screen for hours everyday (so still not suitable as a PC monitor). Any image retention that does happen should be barely noticeable and usually go away after a few minutes.

Also modern games are a lot better about their HUDs with most elements being even very slightly transparent so there is enough shift in colour to not cause an issue.

It used to be that OLEDs couldn't get anywhere near as bright as LED TVs but again modern sets are much better at this too.

If you can afford the $$$$ go for an OLED, I didn't because it was twice the cost of a normal set but if money were no object...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I like them but I think I'd like them 100% more on PC

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MZ posted:

Modern OLEDs should not have any problem with permanent burn-in unless you literally have the same static image on the screen for hours everyday (so still not suitable as a PC monitor). Any image retention that does happen should be barely noticeable and usually go away after a few minutes.

Also modern games are a lot better about their HUDs with most elements being even very slightly transparent so there is enough shift in colour to not cause an issue.

It used to be that OLEDs couldn't get anywhere near as bright as LED TVs but again modern sets are much better at this too.

If you can afford the $$$$ go for an OLED, I didn't because it was twice the cost of a normal set but if money were no object...

Games generally don't burn-in on my OLED. Something like the big red NETFLIX logo is probably the biggest culprit but it still goes away after like 15 seconds. And my model is like two years old, it's probably gotten better. I definitely wouldn't want to go back after getting one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How the hell do you gently caress up so badly that you push what's, presumably, the entire build as a patch instead of just the updated files? :stare:

Giant patches are nearly always changes to textures or sound files and not complete rewrites of the game, if they are even that big and don’t just look like it from a manifest POV.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rabidsquid posted:

the arkane games are all very dope but they all go on mondo discount so soon and prey never got any dlc so i worry that bethesda might be upset about having a competent dev around

Prey got that Mooncrash DLC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

beep by grandpa posted:

I have a problem with this.

Knack is the Ultimate Invention, but Shadow the Hedgehog, as we all know, is the Ultimate Lifeform- but he was created in a lab- thus; invented. So...whomst is the Real Ultimate here??

Ninjas, because only they possess Real Ultimate Power

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I haven’t played any of them. Even bioshock 2 and prey.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

Giant patches are nearly always changes to textures or sound files and not complete rewrites of the game, if they are even that big and don’t just look like it from a manifest POV.

Sure, but of all the things to need to tweak in a post-launch patch, the textures should be pretty low on that list for a game built on an existing engine with existing assets and oh I forgot the Bethesda factor :cripes:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

I haven’t played any of them. Even bioshock 2 and prey.

Bioshock 2 is class, I played it recently on PS4 and I thought it was excellent

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I stopped playing Hitman in part due to its awful performance on PS4 pro. Is Hitman 2 better in that regard?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I played BioShock 2 for the first time this year and didn't hate it but didn't feel compelled to finish it. Have to say though the plot and writing stunk of being quickly rushed out to capitalise on the prequels success.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t like them at all and I don’t totally understand why.

I've bought both of them and they don't click with me at all. I like stealth games and like the setting but something about them just puts me off.

As for Bethesda, the Tango Gameworks games are good poo poo. Even if you didn't like the first Evil Within, the second is a really great game. I ended up enjoying it enough that I went back to play the first and enjoyed most of it also.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76

Wow, I thought 56 yesterday for the Pc version was rough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Fallout We Wish Our Metacritic was 76

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The second part of Marvel's Spider-Man's DLC will be coming out sometime tomorrow. However, we have a look at the costumes this time around and well...

I'll be honest, personally I'm only a fan of the Iron Spider one and I'm kinda back and forth on the MK1 look.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
aw the cel shaded one is cute

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Steve Yun posted:

:goofy:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

The second part of Marvel's Spider-Man's DLC will be coming out sometime tomorrow. However, we have a look at the costumes this time around and well...

I'll be honest, personally I'm only a fan of the Iron Spider one and I'm kinda back and forth on the MK1 look.

Spider....Clan?

Also, yet another Spider-Armor and Iron Spider?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I saw something about Tetris effect having weekend unlock fests where the whole community works together to get something, is that still happening each weekend or was it the first one only?

they still have them, it goes for a 24 hour period starting on saturday sometime? they give you a selection of modes to play that give you bonuses.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Spider-Clan is from something in the early 00s called “Marvel Mangaverse”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently Spider-Clan is from something in the early 00s called “Marvel Mangaverse”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NFwhd0zsHU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Personally, I'm all for another cel-shaded suit. Better than yet another "Spider-Man, but armored!" suit.

Honestly I don't even understand the purpose of armor on Spiderman's suit. The guy is already nigh-invulnerable.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
i don't get excited over cosmetics that don't do anything

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Put in Japanese Spider-Man, cowards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Personally, I'm all for another cel-shaded suit. Better than yet another "Spider-Man, but armored!" suit.

Honestly I don't even understand the purpose of armor on Spiderman's suit. The guy is already nigh-invulnerable.

Mmhmm, yeah, as shown by him breaking 14 bones. No need for armor at alllll.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RareAcumen posted:

But but but if the damage he took was enough to break his bones it should be enough to break any armor he might have been wearing too!

Also armor protects from bladed weapons, not blunt trauma. Hmph.

:goonsay:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RareAcumen posted:

maybe he should be strengthening his bones then, not his suit

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm delighted to watch this game get poo poo on cause I was particularly grossed out when it was announced at e3 this year and there was a huge push by Bethesda to preorder it as a time when iirc literally all they announced about it was its name. I can't remember if they had even talked about it being MP only before the preorder campaign.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Spider-Ham in the game yet

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

exquisite tea posted:

More like Fallout We Wish Our Metacritic was 76

thanks for the internet chuckle good sir!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Spider-Ham in the game yet

Very unlikely because spider ham has a different body shape

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bioshock 2 is class, I played it recently on PS4 and I thought it was excellent

Bioshock 2 is far and away the best of the three.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Bioshock 2 is far and away the best of the three.

Gameplay wise yes but not in story or atmosphere. Bio shock 1 is the best, Bioshock Infinite is a Very Bad Bideo James

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Gameplay wise yes but not in story or atmosphere.

Have to respectfully disagree. B1 totally falls down in the final act. I played them both recently and found the second one far far better in every aspect. I'd originally thought it wasn't great and I don't think I ever finished it on PS3 but picking it up with the HD collection, I think it's better.

3 is shiiiiit

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I stopped playing Hitman in part due to its awful performance on PS4 pro. Is Hitman 2 better in that regard?

I don’t remember how 1 performed but 2 has been perfectly smooth for me and that includes the levels imported from 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jolo posted:

I've bought both of them and they don't click with me at all. I like stealth games and like the setting but something about them just puts me off.

As for Bethesda, the Tango Gameworks games are good poo poo. Even if you didn't like the first Evil Within, the second is a really great game. I ended up enjoying it enough that I went back to play the first and enjoyed most of it also.

EW2 is good poo poo. TEW is rough but ultimately very satisfying to master.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 19, 2018