Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just found slurm. It's a console based traffic graphing tool. I like to leave an SSH session open with it running because...I'm a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thermopyle posted:

I just found slurm. It's a console based traffic graphing tool. I like to leave an SSH session open with it running because...I'm a nerd.

That's pretty neat. I was looking for something like that the other day.

I just go up and running with Fedora 15 two days ago. Works good, Rails installed without a hitch. Running KDE because I'm just tired of GNOME, but I'll probably try the new version soon.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-prerelease

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Some vimrc snippets some people might find useful (there's no vim thread?):
pre:
if $TERM =~ '^linux'
    set t_Co=8
    colorscheme desert
else
    set t_Co=256
    colorscheme jellybeans
endif

set ignorecase smartcase
set wrap textwidth=79 formatoptions=qrn1 "colorcolumn=80
set relativenumber
nnoremap ; :
let mapleader=","
nnoremap j gj
nnoremap k gk
Turns on ignored-case searching, you can use use capitals to turn on case sensitivity.
Sets soft line-wrapping and you can uncomment "colorcolumn to turn on a red line at column 80.
I find relative line numbers more convenient for modal line editing. (Less math to do in your head)
Holding shift for : is kinda dumb, so remapped it to ;
And remapping j/k to gj/gk allows you to move along soft-wraps.

I'm really slowly starting to learn vim. Each time I sit down at the computer I get lazier and lazier: "Oh man, do I really have to move my hand over to the mouse to select this poo poo? gently caress". And vim is fitting into my lazy lifestyle more and more...
oh god what have I become

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 8, 2011

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So I installed Kubuntu for fun/out of curiosity, what the gently caress do I do now? Everything is so foreign I don't know how to do anything and I can't find my files and :supaburn:
(I have never touched Linux in my life before)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

darkhand posted:

Some vimrc snippets some people might find useful (there's no vim thread?):
pre:
if $TERM =~ '^linux'
    set t_Co=8
    colorscheme desert
else
    set t_Co=256
    colorscheme jellybeans
endif

set ignorecase smartcase
set wrap textwidth=79 formatoptions=qrn1 "colorcolumn=80
set relativenumber
nnoremap ; :
let mapleader=","
nnoremap j gj
nnoremap k gk
Turns on ignored-case searching, you can use use capitals to turn on case sensitivity.
Sets soft line-wrapping and you can uncomment "colorcolumn to turn on a red line at column 80.
I find relative line numbers more convenient for modal line editing. (Less math to do in your head)
Holding shift for : is kinda dumb, so remapped it to ;
And remapping j/k to gj/gk allows you to move along soft-wraps.

I'm really slowly starting to learn vim. Each time I sit down at the computer I get lazier and lazier: "Oh man, do I really have to move my hand over to the mouse to select this poo poo? gently caress". And vim is fitting into my lazy lifestyle more and more...
oh god what have I become

I wish every program had hjkl movement key support, especially programs with a ncurses interface.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daynab posted:

So I installed Kubuntu for fun/out of curiosity, what the gently caress do I do now? Everything is so foreign I don't know how to do anything and I can't find my files and :supaburn:
(I have never touched Linux in my life before)

Are you posting from it right now?

All the files you should care about (generally) will be in /home/daynab/

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've been playing around with Arch right now just poking around and now I'm wondering what's next? On my list is to figure out how to configure my wireless internet and maybe look into using official Nvidia video drivers rather than the open source one. What are some other things I can do to learn more about Linux and the operating system?

Also, I installed Gnome since that's what Ubuntu used and now I'm wondering, is it possible for me to not have something huge like Gnome installed but still have "windows" when I need them? I use Vim for programming and gnuplot to plot things, both I can do from a terminal, but when gnuplot spits out the eps file can I just type 'open plotname.eps' or something and somehow see the picture? Or when I want to browse the web or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ziir posted:

I've been playing around with Arch right now just poking around and now I'm wondering what's next? On my list is to figure out how to configure my wireless internet and maybe look into using official Nvidia video drivers rather than the open source one. What are some other things I can do to learn more about Linux and the operating system?

Also, I installed Gnome since that's what Ubuntu used and now I'm wondering, is it possible for me to not have something huge like Gnome installed but still have "windows" when I need them? I use Vim for programming and gnuplot to plot things, both I can do from a terminal, but when gnuplot spits out the eps file can I just type 'open plotname.eps' or something and somehow see the picture? Or when I want to browse the web or something.

You can use XFCE but it's not that much more light-weight. A lot of apps are going to need GTK anyway. Try Fluxbox if you want to give that a shot.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Bob Morales posted:

You can use XFCE but it's not that much more light-weight. A lot of apps are going to need GTK anyway. Try Fluxbox if you want to give that a shot.

I'll check it out since it can't hurt. I'm planning on reinstalling Arch anyway once I get over this whole "experiment with everything" phase for a cleaner system. I don't really know what GTK is nor the difference between something like Gnome or Compiz so it's a learning experience all around! The worst that can happen is I somehow break everything which would take all of 10 minutes to flaten and reinstall.

e: One thing I really don't like about gnome is having to mouse over to the top left to see my installed programs. Why can't I add them to the top bar or something?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 8, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ziir posted:

e: One thing I really don't like about gnome is having to mouse over to the top left to see my installed programs. Why can't I add them to the top bar or something?

You can do that, just drag an icon up there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don't forget that you can install pretty much all of the desktops to see which ones you like, and don't like and just choose between them when you log in. I'm not sure about Arch but most distributions will have a 'Session type' right on the login screen, and you can pick from GNOME, KDE, etc (assuming you have them installed).

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Don't forget that you can install pretty much all of the desktops to see which ones you like, and don't like and just choose between them when you log in. I'm not sure about Arch but most distributions will have a 'Session type' right on the login screen, and you can pick from GNOME, KDE, etc (assuming you have them installed).

its about what your login manager is. GDM and KDM will allow choosing of different desktop environments. But others will require you to go through ~/.xinitrc and choose from there.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

I'd like to use an account for SSH SOCKS-like proxying only, no interactive shell. Is setting the user's shell to /bin/false, and then running SSH without interactive a secure way to handle this? I'd like to prevent the account from getting a shell or doing pretty much anything else.

code:
ssh -D 1080 -N user@host

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BnT posted:

I'd like to use an account for SSH SOCKS-like proxying only, no interactive shell. Is setting the user's shell to /bin/false, and then running SSH without interactive a secure way to handle this? I'd like to prevent the account from getting a shell or doing pretty much anything else.

code:
ssh -D 1080 -N user@host

Basically. You might want to use nologin instead of false though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

FISHMANPET posted:

You can do that, just drag an icon up there.
Arch has gnome3 as the stable gnome version now, so AFAIK, no, he can't.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

darkhand posted:

there's no vim thread?
There's one in CoC, although it's on the last page.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

rt4 posted:

Are you posting from it right now?

All the files you should care about (generally) will be in /home/daynab/

Yeah, I was posting from it, from firefox. I decided I would install it in a virtual pc though instead, that way I could experiment more without being afraid to screw things up (which I know, with Linux, you can pretty much always fix, but if I don't know anything.. :)) Thanks for the directions for files, like I said this is pretty foreign haha.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Zom Aur posted:

Arch has gnome3 as the stable gnome version now, so AFAIK, no, he can't.

There are key commands to make it appear:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
"System (Windows) key or Alt+F1 - these key combinations will take you to the overview or back to the desktop."

I think there is an option in the Tweak Tool that will let you set it so moving the mouse to anywhere along the left side of the screen makes the overview appear.

Less pleasant solutions would be a desktop icon or using something like docky.

And not to say wanting to have an always visible launcher icon is a bad thing, but it would seem to be against the gnome design goals at this point.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

There are key commands to make it appear:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
"System (Windows) key or Alt+F1 - these key combinations will take you to the overview or back to the desktop."

I think there is an option in the Tweak Tool that will let you set it so moving the mouse to anywhere along the left side of the screen makes the overview appear.

Less pleasant solutions would be a desktop icon or using something like docky.

And not to say wanting to have an always visible launcher icon is a bad thing, but it would seem to be against the gnome design goals at this point.
I specifically meant the drag-and-drop-to-taskbar approach. It worked in gnome2, it won't work in gnome-shell IIRC.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now. I'm trying to install Diablo II of all games and it's giving me hell. I insert the Install disk and run the install.exe file with Wine. It runs then tells me I have to insert the play disc. I take out the install disc, put in the play disc, and it says 'Error mounting: mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/PLAYDISC busy'.

From there, where the dialog box says 'Please Insert the CD labelled 'Play Disc.'', I keep clicking 'OK' and nothing happens.

The installation originally went fine, but then Diablo II wasn't present in the wine folder that it was originally installed in and there seems to be no way to get it back. Any ideas?

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now. I'm trying to install Diablo II of all games and it's giving me hell. I insert the Install disk and run the install.exe file with Wine. It runs then tells me I have to insert the play disc. I take out the install disc, put in the play disc, and it says 'Error mounting: mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/PLAYDISC busy'.

From there, where the dialog box says 'Please Insert the CD labelled 'Play Disc.'', I keep clicking 'OK' and nothing happens.

The installation originally went fine, but then Diablo II wasn't present in the wine folder that it was originally installed in and there seems to be no way to get it back. Any ideas?

Check out the Diablo II entry of the WINE AppDB, it has instructions about installing the game via WINE (the green-labelled HOWTO).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did That on Television posted:

Check out the Diablo II entry of the WINE AppDB, it has instructions about installing the game via WINE (the green-labelled HOWTO).

I was going to say, "Please insert play disc" reminds me of yen years ago when a friend and I were trying to get his copy to work on both of our computers.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just curious is there a way to format apt-get or aptitude to look more like pacman. It just looks a lot cleaner and much easier to read.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Did That on Television posted:

There's also PlayOnLinux (should be in the repository), which is a Wine frontend with canned installation scripts for a lot of programs, including D2. I haven't used it on D2 specifically, but I've had a lot of success with it for other programs.

It also lets you install each program into a different wineprefix, meaning different settings and, potentially, wine versions, which can be handy.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know if it is possible to download a public shared file from google docs with wget?

The file I am trying to get is here:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5q4VrdHGcnQNmZlOWQ4ZDUtNTRjYy00NGE4LThmZjItMmRiYTE5N2UxNzhl&export=download&pli=1
(it is the linux driver for the mobile broadband chip in the cr48)

Just doing wget "url" doesn't work.

I have tried to modify a script I found online:
code:
#!/bin/bash
token=$(curl -s [url]https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin[/url] -d Email=user.name@gmail.com -d Passwd=blahblah -d accountType=GOOGLE -d service=writely -d Gdata-version=3.0 |cut -d "=" -f 2)
set $token
wget --header "Gdata-Version: 3.0" --header "Authorization: GoogleLogin auth=$3" "https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5q4VrdHGcnQNmZlOWQ4ZDUtNTRjYy00NGE4LThmZjItMmRiYTE5N2UxNzhl&export=download&pli=1" -O /mnt/Stuff/qc.tar.gz
This also does not work. :(

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Probably will need to use the Google Docs API. Shouldn't be too hard to write something in Python for it, and you can always expand the functionality of whatever you're using it for pretty easily.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've tried to like Gnome 3 but I can't because it randomly freezes all the time, especially when I mouse over to the top left or whatever and bring up the icons. My cursor/trackpad still works, but everything else is unresponsive and the only thing I can think to do is hard reboot it.

Welp, time to try something new.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Ziir posted:

I've tried to like Gnome 3 but I can't because it randomly freezes all the time, especially when I mouse over to the top left or whatever and bring up the icons. My cursor/trackpad still works, but everything else is unresponsive and the only thing I can think to do is hard reboot it.

Often you can still press CTRL+ALT+F(1,2,3 etc.) to go back to console mode. From there you could either kill gnome or reboot normally.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm using one of those Apple keyboards where the function keys do things like raise and lower volume/brightness/etc. That would be cool if I was on a laptop, but as it is it just means I have to press an extra key to actually use the function keys.

Is there a file somewhere I can change to make it behave like a normal keyboard?

edit: refining my Google got me what I needed
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Apple_Keyboard

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 10, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ziir posted:

Not to be Captain Obvious or anything, but this certainly sounds like an issue with your graphics drivers.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gnome 3 currently does not support ATI. Being an ATI user, I've noticed tons of little problems with Gnome 3, but of course I can't say for sure how many of them are related to the driver issues.

I can't stand it, so I've moved to KDE, which is funny since I abandoned KDE for Gnome when I was horrified by version 4.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rt4 posted:

Gnome 3 currently does not support ATI.
That's certainly understandable since ATI is such a small company that no one uses.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

rt4 posted:

Gnome 3 currently does not support ATI. Being an ATI user, I've noticed tons of little problems with Gnome 3, but of course I can't say for sure how many of them are related to the driver issues.

I can't stand it, so I've moved to KDE, which is funny since I abandoned KDE for Gnome when I was horrified by version 4.

I haven't done much with X windows in a while, but doesn't Xorg handle the graphic card interface, and Gnome is just a window manager running on top of it?

How does Gnome not support a video card?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know enough about graphics to answer that. Firefox on Linux does the same thing: no WebGL for ATI/Linux users until ATI's drivers make the browser crash less often, according to the Firefox devs. In the case of Gnome, I haven't gotten any crashes but I do get weird rainbow colors in places in the system menu and GUI elements that I can't click in at least one important Java application.

I can't imagine what Gnome is doing that's so exotic. Gnome 2 always worked great with Compiz and Linux games, both commercial and free, have never been a problem for me.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

I haven't done much with X windows in a while, but doesn't Xorg handle the graphic card interface, and Gnome is just a window manager running on top of it?

How does Gnome not support a video card?
Gnome 3 needs compositing. ATI has a really awful track record when it comes to compositing. Maybe Gnome 3 just needs some part of compositing that ATI can't deliver yet?

Was the same deal with compiz some years ago, where the official ati driver supported the majority of effects, except for transparency.

This is just me guessing though, I haven't used ATI in linux for more than 4 years.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Zom Aur posted:

Gnome 3 needs compositing. ATI has a really awful track record when it comes to compositing. Maybe Gnome 3 just needs some part of compositing that ATI can't deliver yet?

Was the same deal with compiz some years ago, where the official ati driver supported the majority of effects, except for transparency.

This is just me guessing though, I haven't used ATI in linux for more than 4 years.

Yeah, it's this kind of crap. Sort of like I use gnome-do with docky, which requires a proprietary ATI driver. AMD flat out states that the card, even though not a horrible card, and has an accelerated linux driver, will no longer get driver updates.

Did an upgrade between two versions of ubuntu, same versions of gnome-do and docky and all that poo poo, but an upgraded Xorg version.

That version of Xorg would NOT work with the old driver. So went from being able to composit to not being able to. Had to go harvest an old as loving hell nvidia card out of a machine to get poo poo working again.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Col posted:

Does anyone have personal experience of a USB network adapter that

(i) has decent Linux drivers
(ii) supports 802.11n speeds
(iii) will connect to a wifi signal in the 5GHz band?
*snip*

Sorry for the bump but this may have been missed at the bottom of the last page - does nobody use one of these successfully with Linux?

In other news, unofficial optimus support moves one step closer:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTQxNg

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

enotnert posted:

Yeah, it's this kind of crap. Sort of like I use gnome-do with docky, which requires a proprietary ATI driver. AMD flat out states that the card, even though not a horrible card, and has an accelerated linux driver, will no longer get driver updates.

Did an upgrade between two versions of ubuntu, same versions of gnome-do and docky and all that poo poo, but an upgraded Xorg version.

That version of Xorg would NOT work with the old driver. So went from being able to composit to not being able to. Had to go harvest an old as loving hell nvidia card out of a machine to get poo poo working again.
The open driver might help you there. I remember it saving my rear end when I was stuck with a laptop that had some crap ati card.

Acceleration, compositing and suspend to ram worked close to flawlessly on that machine. The fact that I had to spend hours compiling mesa and the open driver made it almost worthwhile. :)

Still, depends very much on what card you have and what version of the driver you have available. There's also stuff like radeonhd that you could try.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So I am going to start up a samba box for testing and learning, I hear it is a bit of a bumpy road, Have any of you all had experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

So I am going to start up a samba box for testing and learning, I hear it is a bit of a bumpy road, Have any of you all had experience with it?

It's fairly straight-forward, and retardedly simple if you're not doing any Active Directory stuff.