Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cardiovorax posted:

There was a conceptually similar game that involved being an Indiana Jones look-alike that involved a lot of swinging on vines and that I remember being very greenish-yellow. The game later got an upgraded re-release in power SVGA and the first level was a jungle zone, jump'n'run style. I think the second area was a mine of some sort. I believe the name started with an R. Anyone got an idea? It was pretty fun.

Rick Dangerous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ymgve posted:

Rick Dangerous?
Mhh... no, it was not block-based like that. The jungle actually looked like jungle, with plants and a background and everything. I'm talking about big, fully-animated sprites for the later remake and really old, blobs of color graphics for the classic version. I think it may have been a C64 game, even, not PC.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Mhh... no, it was not block-based like that. The jungle actually looked like jungle, with plants and a background and everything. I'm talking about big, fully-animated sprites for the later remake and really old, blobs of color graphics for the classic version. I think it may have been a C64 game, even, not PC.

The specific bit about the SVGA remake makes me think of Pitfall.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pierzak posted:

The specific bit about the SVGA remake makes me think of Pitfall.
Yes, thank you! It was Pitfall. I guess the name didn't start with an R after all. That's exactly what I was thinking of. Man, I haven't played that since the mid-90s and I was so bad at it back then. I think I'll dig that remake back out, it was fun as hell in the day.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cardiovorax posted:

There was a conceptually similar game that involved being an Indiana Jones look-alike that involved a lot of swinging on vines and that I remember being very greenish-yellow. The game later got an upgraded re-release in power SVGA and the first level was a jungle zone, jump'n'run style. I think the second area was a mine of some sort. I believe the name started with an R. Anyone got an idea? It was pretty fun.

Pitfall?

Efb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PC Engine game from the early 90's most likely an arcade port, very similar to Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars but I don't think it was by Taito. You hit stuff with a hammer I think and one screen was full of Halloween pumpkins? Never played it, just saw it in magazines, might be JP only.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Sakurazuka posted:

PC Engine game from the early 90's most likely an arcade port, very similar to Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars but I don't think it was by Taito. You hit stuff with a hammer I think and one screen was full of Halloween pumpkins? Never played it, just saw it in magazines, might be JP only.

Don Doko Don?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's it, cheers. Guess it was by Taito lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MMAgCh posted:

Here's a tricky one I don't remember too much of. This was a flip-screen action (?) game for the Commodore 64 with, I think, pretty dark visuals (not necessarily "grim" dark, just "few bright colours" dark). I can't be sure what the overall theme was, although I want to say there was a generic Japanese/"ninja" sort of feel to the entire thing. Li'l me never got very far in this game; not too far to the east/right of the starting point, which might have been in a forest, there was a fortress of some sort I could not get past, while closer to the starting point there was an underground passage with a closed door I never could figure out a way past either.

What I do distinctly recall was an element of verticality – also close to wherever the game started, there was a huge tree several screens tall with a sort of village built among its branches, which likewise were several screens wide. I remember leaping off the topmost platform and falling through several screens containing nothing but thin air, though there notably was no falling damage.

It definitely was not Ninja; from what I remember, this game had considerably cruder graphics.

Probably not it but it does sound similar to Demon Sword for NES.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

dads_work_files posted:

Jagex Games Castle/Pyramid was the online service and Cyber Wars was the game. I used to play it a lot around that time! Maybe we played against each other. I seem to remember it being the first and last time I was competitive in a multiplayer strategy game

Wow, I really wasn't expecting an answer for that one, thanks! And, ha, yeah, maybe. I sunk...an unconscionable number of hours into that game.

E:

The Joe Man posted:

I hate this loving game with a passion but I sunk SO MANY HOURS into it

I know that exact feeling, yes. The game...has its high points and its low points. So, so many low points.

Reminds me I had a similar relationship with Kingdom of Kroz, which was a very fun and creative game, but I remember being very punishing and difficult, at least to my younger self. ...or, looking at a video, I'm now reminded that level 1 immediately throws you into the thick of a huge chaotic fight and your 'tutorial' is in learning how to actually manage that situation. Lawlp.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 5, 2020

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Zushio posted:

For some reason this makes me think of two games. The first is a somewhat obscure adventure game called Below The Root. The other is Karateka. Probably both wrong, but what you describe sounds like a mashup of the two.

EDIT: Oh God, you aren't talking about Shadow of the Beast, are you? Don't do that to yourself.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Probably not it but it does sound similar to Demon Sword for NES.
None of those turned out to be it. However, some incredibly inspired search term along the lines of "commodore 64 action tree" resulted in a picture on Google Image Search that yielded the game I was looking for: The Lost Ninja (not to be confused with the considerably more popular The Last Ninja).

I do have to say, regardless of how well (or not) the game itself might have aged, that title tune's pretty tight.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cardiovorax posted:

Jungle Hunt :hmmyes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
SNES RPG that kinda played like Zelda, where you swing your sword and the enemies were all on the map. You could open a menu to use magic . There was dinosaurs and I believe you had a pet dog with you. At the start of the game you get ambushed by a bunch of velociraptors and when you died you woke up in a village.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Evermore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats the one, thank you kind goon :tipshat:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Trying to identify an old arcade rail shooter game where the weapons had a pump under the barrel (think shotgun reload) which you activate to swap to alternate fire modes.

I thought it was Alien 3: The Gun, but apparently it isn't.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Trying to identify an old arcade rail shooter game where the weapons had a pump under the barrel (think shotgun reload) which you activate to swap to alternate fire modes.

I thought it was Alien 3: The Gun, but apparently it isn't.

Crypt killer had pump action shotguns but I'm not sure about altfire

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I faintly remember early 2000's strategy game that was set in WW1 or WW2. It was pretty abstract (few unit types, one industrial points resource) and provinces were large (France being two provinces). Fortresses were built between provinces. I think midi version of Final Countdown was used as music.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Billy Gnosis posted:

Crypt killer had pump action shotguns but I'm not sure about altfire

Ah, found it. Space Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_meKpLUfY

The "pumping" switches grenade types (changes reticle), you can see it happen at 3:30.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

and the muppet carnival game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKuMDk3kwSU&list=PLCIZNtotF3XijvkrPfE6TXdAFZOvjaD8o&index=369&t=0s

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, found it. Space Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_meKpLUfY

The "pumping" switches grenade types (changes reticle), you can see it happen at 3:30.

Space Gun's cabinet totally doesn't have shotguns. :colbert:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

An old (90s?) arcade game like Okhlos or Tonight We Riot where you control a whole huge mob of characters. IIRC, they weren't just sprite clones, but actual, differently designed, characters (but a bunch of them).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

Could also be Pharaoh's Tomb.

This game also had a sequel, Arctic Adventures. It was the first game I ever played as a kid, and I have good memories of playing it with my dad and unlocking the raft for the first time.

Fun fact! Both games were developed by a young student who wanted to become a game designer. You might have heard of him...

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This game also had a sequel, Arctic Adventures. It was the first game I ever played as a kid, and I have good memories of playing it with my dad and unlocking the raft for the first time.

Fun fact! Both games were developed by a young student who wanted to become a game designer. You might have heard of him...

The Monuments of Mars! was also very similar, and it made a big deal out of being an action-puzzler with infinite lives, because what good do lives do in a game like this?

Very forward-thinking for a game still built with CGA graphics. That said, I think I actually liked the level design in Pharaoh's Tomb better.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was about to ask if anyone knew the name of a Mac FPS shareware game circa '96 where you could fire lasers of Positive, Negative, Destructive or Creative energy. But the name popped into my head as I was writing up the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xcKNKGGCVg

So instead, how about this one. There was another shareware Mac game around that time which was like a turn-based RPG but it was super simplified; you fought monsters 1-on-1 in turn based fights, and in between fights you could spend points to develop your character. There was no world map or even any movement, I think it was entirely just clicking turn based choices like Attack or Block. It was called "Arena" or something to that effect but I see nothing on YouTube.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

So instead, how about this one. There was another shareware Mac game around that time which was like a turn-based RPG but it was super simplified; you fought monsters 1-on-1 in turn based fights, and in between fights you could spend points to develop your character. There was no world map or even any movement, I think it was entirely just clicking turn based choices like Attack or Block. It was called "Arena" or something to that effect but I see nothing on YouTube.

Could be either Darkwood or its sequel Siege of Darkwood. That consisted almost entirely of one on one fights in an arena.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does anyone know a top downish/isometric 3rd person cyberpunk game for windows PCs where you wear a trenchcoat, shoot things, level up your character and get either explicitly psychic powers or simulate them with technology, i can't remember which. Perhaps the main character was black and it came out around 2000ish
All i remember was a goddamn sliding nodes puzzle i couldn't solve and spent forever trying. The main game was not sliding huge floating obelisks around, only this one side quest that my roommate beat and gloated about.

i feel like the main character was black and he was voiced by someone who is famous? The box would have had a foil starburst sticker on the front advertising which celebrity it was. I can't remember any other details

It absolutely bombed and was not a good game. I hated it and the sliding nodes puzzle but I'm mostly trying to remember which celebrity signed off on it now.

e: this has been a mystery to me for like 20 drat years and the literal instant i ask for help i get a sneaking suspicion the voice in my head was ice-t and yupppppp
sanity: aiken's artifact. NEVERMIND!

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 12, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What was that 90s PC game (it was on tons of those 100-in-1 discs) where you were like, an intergalactic trucker or supplier or something? You had to buy/sell resources between all these ugly alien civilizations to make a profit.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

What was that 90s PC game (it was on tons of those 100-in-1 discs) where you were like, an intergalactic trucker or supplier or something? You had to buy/sell resources between all these ugly alien civilizations to make a profit.
Gazillionaire?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yeahhh, that was it. God, it's even uglier than I remember...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a narrative LP of the game that's pretty good. Of course it has to take a lot of liberties, considering that the original game is basically a spreadsheet with some random events.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I’m looking for an old, 80s-era DOS game that I remember as being Worms before Worms swiped the premise and made a franchise out of it. The graphics were poo poo, but drat if it wasn’t exactly as addicting as it’s successors suggest.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ecavalli posted:

I’m looking for an old, 80s-era DOS game that I remember as being Worms before Worms swiped the premise and made a franchise out of it. The graphics were poo poo, but drat if it wasn’t exactly as addicting as it’s successors suggest.

Scorched Earth, probably.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ecavalli posted:

As Unreal_One says, it is almost certainly Scorched Earth, but I feel an irresistible compulsion to suggest GORILLAS.BAS anyway.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

poo poo yeah! Scorched Earth it is!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ecavalli posted:

poo poo yeah! Scorched Earth it is!

There was a mac clone of that game called Dome Wars that owned as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDWL8Z7LQs4

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You can still pay money for Scorched Earth: http://www.whicken.com/scorch/

You know, to put in your display case next to your registration e-mails for mIRC and WinRAR after you drunkenly buy all three in one night.

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016
Hello! I'm looking for a DOS/Win95-98 side-scrolling helicopter shooter that I played in the mid to late 90s. I got it from one of those demo compilation CDs that came with a videogame magazine, and I've never been able to figure out the right combo of search keywords to find it again.

Graphically, I think it was typical of later-90s 2D games: fairly high detail, smooth movement, and parallax scrolling. I think the art leaned toward the realistic, with a fairly dark and muted colour palette.

I remember a few things stood out about the gameplay. The helicopter's movement was fairly complex:
- you could fly freely around each level
- the up/down arrow keys changed elevation & left/right moved horizontally but kept you facing the same way
- there were separate keys that allowed you to "rotate" the chopper between left-facing and right-facing (there may have also been a front-facing position, which gave it a much smaller profile for flying through narrow, maze-like areas...? or I might be conflating this game with another one there)
- when you held left/right to move horizontally, the chopper's nose would also pitch up or down, altering the aim of your weapons

Other gameplay mechanics included:
- a limited fuel supply, which you could refill by landing (very carefully) on special helipads
- hostages/survivors who could be rescued and picked up around the level then dropped off at the same special pads
- several weapons that i think shared a common and regenerating ammo pool, including:
1) a rapid-fire machine gun
2) fast-firing, light-damage rockets
3) slower-firing, heavier-damage rockets (or possibly bombs?)
4) a very slow-firing, powerful energy weapon that fired large blue or purple plasma bursts
- if one of the weapons (the 2nd?) was selected twice, it would switch to an alternate, homing version with limited ammo

Clearly my memory is foggy as hell, but hopefully I got enough of the details right for someone to figure it out. TIA!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sounds like Choplifter 3 on snes, might be a game in the series on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016

Danaru posted:

Sounds like Choplifter 3 on snes, might be a game in the series on PC

The gameplay is very similar, so the game I'm looking for was clearly attempting to rip that off, but as far as I can see the only PC release in that series is a fairly recent 3D remake using the Unreal engine.

And to be fair, Choplifter HD does look very fun