Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Good luck shooting sports at 1/10

Or, you know, just maybe keep an eye on the shutter speed and raise the ISO when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

GunForumMeme posted:

Or, you know, just maybe keep an eye on the shutter speed and raise the ISO when needed.

In which it makes more sense to shoot in shutter priority. When you are shooting sports the last thing you want to do is miss an important shot because Av decided to shoot 1/10 because you weren't quick enough getting the ISO correct.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The Timbers stadium is so well lit i can shoot Av without any issues at all and still maintain 1/500th. Maybe stop shooting high school events.

"nods respectfully in your direction"

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Musket posted:

The Timbers stadium is so well lit i can shoot Av without any issues at all and still maintain 1/500th. Maybe stop shooting high school events.

"nods respectfully in your direction"

1/500 is still too slow for soccer.

and yes, I'll pull the "my stuff is in SI, ESPN Mag, TOPPS cards, etc, etc" card. I *do* know what I'm talking about.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 28, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pukestain Pal posted:

and yes, I'll pull the "my stuff is in SI, ESPN Mag, TOPPS cards, etc, etc" card. I *do* know what I'm talking about.

Do you have any friends?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

"my stuff is in SI, ESPN Mag, TOPPS cards, etc, etc"

Prove it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

spog posted:

Do you have any friends?

do you have anything to add?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

here is a start:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

So someone refused to buy a soccer photograph that you accidentally took at 1/250th of a second? I'm super glad you stopped by to tell us how cool you are, I think some of us might have forgotten the last time you had a meltdown.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

So someone refused to buy a soccer photograph that you accidentally took at 1/250th of a second? I'm super glad you stopped by to tell us how cool you are, I think some of us might have forgotten the last time you had a meltdown.

I've never accidentally taken a photo at 1/250th.

Do you have anything to contribute?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pukestain Pal posted:

here is a start:

Should have shot wide open and that distracting background would been blurred.

Av can help you with that.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

spog posted:

Should have shot wide open and that distracting background would been blurred.

Av can help you with that.

It's 2.8 and shot at the midfield from behind the goal. Not much you can do there.

EDIT: I take that back, I probably shot it at 3.5 or so since it was a day game. That's still fairly open and obviously someone liked it.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 28, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've never accidentally taken a photo at 1/250th.

Do you have anything to contribute?

I don't know those sports photos look pretty accidental to me. Are you sure you could watch the "action" and the shutterspeed at the same time? I just don't think you have the ability to multitask like that, no offense.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I don't know those sports photos look pretty accidental to me. Are you sure you could watch the "action" and the shutterspeed at the same time? I just don't think you have the ability to multitask like that, no offense.

you aren't very good at trolling

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pukestain Pal posted:

You'er the trading card no one wanted and put in their bike spoke.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
You guys need to show more respect for a published photographer. He's already accomplished a shitload more than any of you ever will.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

you aren't very good at trolling

Don't tell me you troll for a wire service now too? You just keep getting cooler every time you post. Hey why don't you just get this over with and post a bannable image again, so that the adults can go back to talking?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

You guys need to show more respect for a published photographer. He's already accomplished a shitload more than any of you ever will.

that is actually funny

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Don't tell me you troll for a wire service now too? You just keep getting cooler every time you post. Hey why don't you just get this over with and post a bannable image again, so that the adults can go back to talking?

yes, because you've contributed anything to the discussion.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Dat Chin :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pukestain Pal posted:

yes, because you've contributed anything to the discussion.

Go back to Fred Miranda dot com. TIA.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Wtf is this poo poo? Please spend more time getting better at taking photos if you have this much time to be a oval office to strangers on the internet. This forum is better when talking about photography rather than angry nerds venting at each other.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Wtf is this poo poo? Please spend more time getting better at taking photos if you have this much time to be a oval office to strangers on the internet. This forum is better when talking about photography rather than angry nerds venting at each other.

I don't see a photo in your post, nerd.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Pukestain Pal posted:

here is a start:

You did such a nice job isolating the background that they had to do a cut out. Sweet work there!

Please try to discuss photography without having to advertise where you were published. Anyone who has opened a newspaper or magazine (or seen your post here) knows that published does not by needs mean good. I did newspaper and magazine work in college, they pick the photos they need or that fit the story, and usually being there is more important than anything else.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Please try to discuss photography without having to advertise where you were published.

I was asked for proof and told I didn't know what I was talking about. So there you go.

TsarAleksi posted:

You did such a nice job isolating the background that they had to do a cut out. Sweet work there!

1) I didn't pick the photo, they did. I have no say in it.
2) It's impossible to isolate people on the midline of a game from behind the goal. That's where 90% of the action is. Celebrations are generally isolated which is important. Pretty much every other sport is easier to get isolation because you have more freedom to move around to get what you want..football especially. Go look at a sports magazine and tell me how many of the shots are isolated.

TsarAleksi posted:

I did newspaper and magazine work in college, they pick the photos they need or that fit the story, and usually being there is more important than anything else.

When it comes to publications that are known for their photography, that just isn't true.

Either way, this is a discussion that's just going to continue for eternity and isn't at all productive. The conversation stemmed from my suggestion that having control over your shutter is more important than the aperture (which in general is going to be wide open or close to it) in sports photography. Apparently that means I'm an rear end in a top hat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fred Miranda Jr
Jul 10, 2012

I spend endless hours in front of the computer perfecting techniques for the digital format.

Musket posted:

Go back to Fred Miranda dot com. TIA.

We don't want him.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

deaders posted:

Excuse me? Who are you to be talking to him like that? Have you even been published?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Even ive been published. ITs not like its some badge of honor. Come back when you have a gallery show, pukestaine pul or become a resident artist :snoop:

Lets improve this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuwYaBnYX_g

Musket fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 28, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Musket posted:

Come back when you have a gallery show.

I'm back. I'm also honored you are spending so much time on me today. Take some photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm publishing right now. *posts from toilet*

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Jesus christ all of you shut the gently caress up you loving children.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Lightroom has a publish button, that doesnt count.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

David Pratt posted:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

David Pratt posted:

You know what doesn't record sound? Photographs. You all need to take more.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pukestain Pal posted:

...I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Good self awareness there bud.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR ETTR

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Guys this is serious, I heard you can actually die from exposure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Has anyone tried... Exposting To The Left?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
You guys are loving dorks, sports photography is THE use case for shutter priority mode. You don't need an SI photographer to tell you that. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Also I got chased out of here when I asked about ETTR as well. The short answer is, ETTR is cool and a Real Thing, but only in certain circumstances. At or near base ISO, in scenes that won't blow your highlights, it can be worth it. However upping your ISO just to move your image to the right of your histogram gives you rapidly diminishing returns, especially on Nikon/Sony sensors. Also fiddling with ETTR can cause you to miss the shot so I usually don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

FISHMANPET posted:

Has anyone tried... Exposting To The Left?

i wish you had exposed to the left your camera at home