Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Vi(rgi)nyl Thread - Bringing girls home "to listen to records". No, seriously, just to listen to records. The other day I was told that I was too nice, seemed clingy, too simple, don't leave much to be mysterious about, I should tone down on caring so much, and try to leave something mysterious about me so I can have a girl interested in me and that's why I get friend zoned. I didn't say anything, but I probably should have because I call BS on that. It wasn't the first time it has happened. So this is my response to any girl who has said this to me, or let alone any guy.
Too nice? Seriously? Why is that even a thing these days? Just because I'm being polite doesn't mean I'm too nice. Apparently that's worse than not nice enough to begin with. Maybe I can get some clarification, but to me too nice means I should act more like a jerk and not allow myself to treat who ever I'm interested in or with the way they deserve. Why would any allow themselves to be treated less than they're worth? I've always had the impression everyone knows don't allow yourself to be treated any less than you deserve. Do we need to remind people of that?
Seem clingy... I can understand that I guess. I like to communicate with whoever I'm with and texting is usually the easiest way. I like to text, a lot. Mind you, I understand people are busy through out the day, but when you care about something you can make time for it. Trust me. Look at any guy trying to get a date with a girl.
Girl: I'm free tonight.
Guy: Oh me too, want to go see a movie?
Girl: Yeah sure, what time?
***We know how that goes***
What girls don't see is...
Guy: Hey bro I can't make it tonight.
Bro: What the hell man, we've been planning this for 3 months.
Guy: I got a date with that girl!
Bro: Oh yeahhhhh boy!
***And guys know where that goes***
Guys will drop anything for a girl they really like.
Now going back real quick to the texting, I honestly don't expect a quick reply to every text, but every few hours you have a couple minutes to reply or send one yourself. But maybe that's an unrealistic mindset.
I really think girls are used to guys who text a ton and slowly stop texting as much once the relationship has been happening for a few months. I see it a lot with my friends around me. They meet a new girl and have that getting to know you stage where every text is a question about the person. Then they hit that honeymoon stage and are all lovey dovey. Then they hit that comfortable stage where the texts are more relaxed and have less voice in them. And most times, then comes the downfall of the relationship.
Too simple? I have more hobbies than most people I know and always have a story to tell. I like to keep it as simple as I can. I mean I know some people strive off of the drama, but to call someone simple... I don't get it. People are never simple, it's impossible. Even the simplest of us are complex, look at babies, they cry and cry and it takes a special person to understand them.
Don't leave much to be mysterious about? This one intrigues me, I know a lot of people, but not very many of them know much about me. I share a lot, but I don't really SHARE that much. Also I don't go out of my way to be fake with someone I'm going to be with. Why cause problems when there is no reason to? Why should I be less open and less honest?
Overall from what I was told I should be more of a jerk, communicate less, be less honest with things, play games with a girl, and not be myself? I'm always going to be myself. When I say that, I mean be the BEST version of myself, not a lazy jerk version. I won't allow myself to be with someone who doesn't appreciate me for who I am, the way I am. Yeah I'm a nice guy. I get friend-zoned. I know when I find my girl, she's going to be the best girl for me and I'll be the best guy for her.
Question to all the girls who are looking for the nice guys and wondering where they went... Why do you think there's so few "nice guys" left now? It's because of bull crap like I was just told. You friend zone the guys who are probably the best for you because you don't have to strive for attention from them? Where in the hell does that make any sense? They make you feel wanted without doing anything extra, and that's a bad thing? You make them your best friend and when they end up having feelings you say it's not a good time? Guess what, the timing for anything in life isn't always perfect, but that doesn't mean you need to put something great on hold. If you have something great in front of you, how are you not going to take it? That's like having someone with a sign saying free car and not pulling off to the side of the road to grab it because your favorite song is on. Stop being dumb. If the chance is there take it, find a way to make it happen because honestly that guy may enhance your life and make it change for the better. If you just don't see a guy in that way, be honest, don't say it's not a good time or make an excuse. Just because they are nice guys doesn't mean they can't handle the truth. In the end, if the guy you marry should be your best friend, he should be that guy who you don't have to work to get the attention you deserve. To the girls who say "I like having perusing a guy who acts like he isn't interested in me..." That's just saying you like to play games. Simply put. You wonder where the good guys are going? You are making it easier and easier for them to turn into the jerks you complain so much about.
What exactly is the friend zone? Is it a place that most nice guys end up at? Or is it an excuse for girls not to have to be real with guys? What exactly qualities qualify for having someone land in the friend zone?
Please if you have anything to say, say it. Anything to add, add it. Any feedback, leave it. I'm interested in anything you guys have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Get your little bro Frankenchrist or Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. You can't go wrong with adding Dead Kennedys to a young punk's record collection.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Me in Reverse posted:

Any feedback, leave it. I'm interested in anything you guys have to say.

In the future, cite your sources.

Recently received a copy of the new Heatsick album. I swear the PAN PVC sleeves remind me of collecting basketball cards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Counter counter point: My best friend, and fellow collector, got me Sigh No More for the express purpose of bringing girls home "to listen to records."

Both of us despise Mumford & Sons but that album's been extremely useful.

Girls also love Avett Brothers, just throwing that out there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just to be clear, I didn't mean my initial Mumford/Sons comment in any sort of Redditesque *beep boop girls are weird, must input Britney Spears into command line for girlfriend output* way.

I just mean that if you're gonna include your record hobby in your social life, it's worth having a few inoffensive and popular albums on hand even if you're personally not wild about them. Not everybody is gonna be on board with you making them choose between Swans and the Knife.

And while love means never having to say you're sorry, dating means occasionally deviating from the things you like in order to accommodate someone else's tastes and preferences.

All of that said, Mumford and Sons are terrible but they get you sex.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 18, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cheapandugly posted:

Get your little bro Frankenchrist or Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. You can't go wrong with adding Dead Kennedys to a young punk's record collection.

He should just get his brother the dick poster that came with Frankenchrist.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my initial Mumford/Sons comment in any sort of Redditesque *beep boop girls are weird, must input Britney Spears into command line for girlfriend output* way.

I just mean that if you're gonna include your record hobby in your social life, it's worth having a few inoffensive and popular albums on hand even if you're personally not wild about them. Not everybody is gonna be on board with you making them choose between Swans and the Knife.

And while love means never having to say you're sorry, dating means occasionally deviating from the things you like in order to accommodate someone else's tastes and preferences.

All of that said, Mumford and Sons are terrible but they get you sex.

gently caress this poo poo.

POST PUNK FOR LIFE!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If someone comes over, they can listen to Hot Snakes' "Suicide Invoice" or they can get the gently caress out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who wants to be with someone that has lovely taste in music anyway?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

He should just get his brother the dick poster that came with Frankenchrist.

I concur. Or barring that, every record store on earth should have at least one Big Black reissue if you're desperate and running out of time.

Also, non-chain record stores need to get on the gift-card train already.

quote:

gently caress this poo poo.

POST PUNK FOR LIFE!

To be fair, the last girl to come over my place put on Signals, Calls, & Marches but she's a friend who legit came to listen to records (and smoke weed) so that doesn't count.

Edit:

CPL593H posted:

Who wants to be with someone that has lovely taste in music anyway?

I dunno, sometimes the sex is good? I make bad dating decisions.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 18, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just to be clear, everything following this line was still really embarrassing :laugh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

het posted:

Just to be clear, everything following this line was still really embarrassing :laugh:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I make bad dating decisions.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
This is what post-rock is for. You can get some sweet albums AND they're mostly inoffensive enough to play when making out with someone whose musical tastes you know nothing about. Besides if a girl doesn't put out immediately upon seeing I have a copy of EITS - How Strange, Innocence then what's the point?

Serious portion of the post: If I needed to listen to Mumford and Sons to get laid I'd resign myself to celibacy.

Now for actual vinyl talk, I got the Solaris (2002) score and Self Defense Family - Try Me in the mail yesterday. The packaging on the SDF LP is outstanding while Solaris is a bit lacking. Both records sound great and contain awesome music.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I concur. Or barring that, every record store on earth should have at least one Big Black reissue if you're desperate and running out of time.

Big Black is another outstanding choice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kevar posted:

This is what post-rock is for. You can get some sweet albums AND they're mostly inoffensive enough to play when making out with someone whose musical tastes you know nothing about. Besides if a girl doesn't put out immediately upon seeing I have a copy of EITS - How Strange, Innocence then what's the point?
Amen to that :allears:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
If I bring home a girl and she can't get off while Little Smoke by This Will Destroy You is playing I know it's a waste of time

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

I've structured my vinyl collection to be a series of tests for the women in my life. I call it The Gauntlet.
1) John Coltrane - Ascension (ez mode)
2) Brötzmann - Machine Gun (getting harder)
3) Zorn - Naked City (gently caress yeah)
4) Cage - 4′33″ (oh baby it's on now)

It's really telling if they bail by Naked City. But, ya know, if you can't hang then get out of the kitchen.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

"Oh hey, you have records! Vinyl is cool! Hmm. I don't know any of these bands. Uhhh, Swans? No, I don't know them. Oh, Boris? Isn't he a classical musician? Oh you have Lou Reed! I love 'Perfect Day', let's listen to tha- oh Metal Machine Music?

I have to go..."

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Hey, did you all know? Girls are barely-sentient fucktoys that pretty much drop trou the second they hear some guys cosplaying as wild-west bartenders singing what Coldplay would sound like if they were born around when most railroads were built.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
It would be really, really funny to me to find out what records girls think inspire the same kind of Pavlovian dick response in preening Internet sexhaver braggarts who collect vinyl.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Probably the Inception score.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Thanks for all the advice fellas, Big Black and The Descendants are actually a couple of great ideas. He actually already has a record clamp believe it or not, but thanks for that suggestion.

And sorry for drumming up whatever emotion introduced that wall of text on the top of this page. That was like a monologue from "High Fidelity" if Nick Hornby was a really lovely writer.

edit: Izationalizer, holy poo poo, missed your post at first, lots of great ideas, thank you.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 19, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Thanks for all the advice fellas, Big Black and The Descendants are actually a couple of great ideas. He actually already has a record clamp believe it or not, but thanks for that suggestion.

And sorry for drumming up whatever emotion introduced that wall of text on the top of this page. That was like a monologue from "High Fidelity" if Nick Hornby was a really lovely writer.

I'm sorry but, fuckin' snap!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo this bad thread got way worse all of a sudden.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It's not your fault. I admittedly made a really stupid comment.

JohnnyC is super, super mad about it though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

JohnnyC is super, super mad about it though.
Haha, that is one way to put it, another is that you can't stop rolling with the punches. I thought it was a pretty funny description of Mumford & Sons

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
So er, yeah, records. The lineup for the 2014 Joyful Noise flexi series is out.

Big Business
Born Ruffians
Daniel Johnston
DM Stith
Fang Island
Half Japanese
Joan of Arc
Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s
Marnie Stern
Mount Eerie
Serengeti
Yip Deceiver

I'm really keen to listen to the Daniel Johnston, Half Japanese, Marnie Stern and Mount Eerie.

You can get it here: http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/joyful-noise-2014-flexi-disc-series.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

het posted:

I thought it was a pretty funny description of Mumford & Sons

I did too. Also, please change my name to Preening Internet Sexhaver Braggart, tia.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

"Oh hey, you have records! Vinyl is cool! Hmm. I don't know any of these bands. Uhhh, Swans? No, I don't know them. Oh, Boris? Isn't he a classical musician? Oh you have Lou Reed! I love 'Perfect Day', let's listen to tha- oh Metal Machine Music?

I have to go..."

If I was with a guy and he put on Metal Machine Music I'm pretty sure my pants would just fall right off.

JohnnyC posted:

It would be really, really funny to me to find out what records girls think inspire the same kind of Pavlovian dick response in preening Internet sexhaver braggarts who collect vinyl.

I answered that question, but I'm a dude so I don't know if it counts.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
You guys are way off. Everyone knows chicks love 8-tracks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm told the best way to woo a lady is to buy a NOW That's What I Call Music! compilation.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

I'm told the best way to woo a lady is to buy a NOW That's What I Call Music! compilation.

Are ye having trouble luring the ladies back to your swamp? Might I recommend:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I actually own Mumford & Sons' first EP (Lend Me Your Eyes, on Chess Club); I bought it blind back in 2008 because Rough Trade said it was a good look. Discogs says it sells for a STUPID amount of money, although it has yielded precisely zero units of sex-having to date so clearly their valuation system is suspect.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

JohnnyC posted:

Hey, did you all know? Girls are barely-sentient fucktoys that pretty much drop trou the second they hear some guys cosplaying as wild-west bartenders singing what Coldplay would sound like if they were born around when most railroads were built.

Mameshiba

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just picked some stuff up at my local neighborhood bar.

(S/T & Analog Weekend by Their/They're/There)

It kinda sucks that the SuperLimitedTourEdition of Analog Weekend was the black one. I was kinda hoping to get baby blue, which I guess is supposed to be the "normal" color, especially since the Burgundy and Green that Polyvinyl and Topshelf respectively got were so butt-ugly by comparison.

Ah well, the B-side is still just as nifty:

CPL593H posted:

If I was with a guy and he put on Metal Machine Music I'm pretty sure my pants would just fall right off.

You wanna go out?

trdn89 posted:

I actually own Mumford & Sons' first EP (Lend Me Your Eyes, on Chess Club); I bought it blind back in 2008 because Rough Trade said it was a good look. Discogs says it sells for a STUPID amount of money, although it has yielded precisely zero units of sex-having to date so clearly their valuation system is suspect.

Sigh No More, bro. And you gotta agree with them when they say it was way better than Babel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You wanna go out?

a/s/l?

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
Got a copy of Zomby's 'With Love' & his cult music labels 002 release. Pretty excited to hear these two. Play fights on the 002 would get you laid.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Open question: If you had to play one record from your collection to get laid (or just impress someone if you're not preening Internet sexhaver braggarts), what would it be?

I have two choices in mind -

Abbey Road if the person in question has never listened to records because everyone knows the Beatles and they're much better on vinyl

or

Nick Drake's Pink Moon because it's a valuable early pressing and a great record

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Open question: If you had to play one record from your collection to get laid (or just impress someone if you're not preening Internet sexhaver braggarts), what would it be?

I have two choices in mind -

Abbey Road if the person in question has never listened to records because everyone knows the Beatles and they're much better on vinyl

or

Nick Drake's Pink Moon because it's a valuable early pressing and a great record

I don't think gloomy folk albums would get anyone in the mood.

Also, my answer:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cloks posted:

The soundtrack to Shaft. Can you dig it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
http://www.myplaydirect.com/sky-ferreira/night-time-my-time-vinyl-digital-album-bundle/details/29080747

Sky ferreira's night time my time back in stock in vinyl. Picked up a copy, hopefully in time for the holidays!