Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Buff Skeleton posted:

You should have the ASMD at that point, so just shoot the Skaarj as soon as you can see its head and it will get knocked back. Also, if you crouch while walking along an edge, you can't dodge off by accident and you can't even walk off the edge by accident. Crouching prevents you from going over edges; it's pretty handy.

That Eightball isn't even necessary since you get one in the previous level. It's just a lot of extra ammo for it, so it should be a little tough to get.

But yeah the Chizra maps are pretty infamous for being confusing and annoying for first-timers, though they do have really great atmosphere.

Keep crouching as you get that Eightball, it decreases your risk of flying into the lava.

Honestly, Chizra is irritating, but only of how stretched out the underwater sequence is and the annoying, confusing backtracking. I thought the previous levels were pretty great.

Wasn't Unreal 1 like the Crysis of the 90s for a little while, or was that Trespasser? :v:

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Trespasser was supposed to be but Unreal was actually a good game. Yeah I'd say that's a pretty fair comparison though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JackMackerel posted:

Wasn't Unreal 1 like the Crysis of the 90s for a little while, or was that Trespasser? :v:

Unreal ran fine if you had a 133-166mhz Pentium, ~32MB RAM and a 3dfx card. Anything less than that or any video card that wasn't a 3dfx and it was a slideshow.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Supreme Power posted:

I'm still a bit shocked by how good this game looks, despite only having the basic, low-level textures that came with it (from GOG, and patched with 227i).
I think the detail textures really help, and the procedural texture animations are still neat.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I've been replaying Damage Inc because it seems to run surprisingly well in compatiblity mode, but there's one problem: you can't save or open saves. Luckily, there's still the ctrl-alt trick every Marathon engine game has that lets you select levels, but still a bummer. Did anyone else have the savegame problem, and figured a fix?

Off-topicish; I learned that the lead designer/writer for Damage Incorporated, Richard Rouse has actually worked on a bunch of stuff I've played or at least heard of. I'm amused he's working on basically another game about an elite military squad fighting domestic terrorists, through I think it will sadly lack the dual shotguns, Black Sabbath lyrics, grenade hopping, and Marathon references of its strange ancestor.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

NovaPolice posted:

Off-topicish; I learned that the lead designer/writer for Damage Incorporated, Richard Rouse has actually worked on a bunch of stuff I've played or at least heard of. I'm amused he's working on basically another game about an elite military squad fighting domestic terrorists, through I think it will sadly lack the dual shotguns, Black Sabbath lyrics, grenade hopping, and Marathon references of its strange ancestor.

We ought to start talking about the first Rainbow Six and its HORRIBLE AI PATHING in the name of early FPS. :colbert: I think I liked Ghost Recon 1 a bit better, since the planning in that game wasn't as bad.

(Wow, this guy also did The Suffering games? My childhood...)

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

JackMackerel posted:

We ought to start talking about the first Rainbow Six and its HORRIBLE AI PATHING in the name of early FPS. :colbert: I think I liked Ghost Recon 1 a bit better, since the planning in that game wasn't as bad.

(Wow, this guy also did The Suffering games? My childhood...)

I think I remember the first Rainbow Six. I thought in that game you had to look at blueprints and literally tell each one of the peeps in your squad the exact route you wanted them to take, and what to do at certain locations.

In real life that probably isn't such a bad idea, but in a game, not so much. I remember being quite frustrated with the concept, and would occasionallyeventually do a Grand Theft Auto and just mess up the missions on purpose. It was actually kinda challenging to kill the hostages before the terrorists could.

I'm not really a fan of Tom Clancy games in general. I liked the books that he wrote (up until Executive Orders), but nowadays it seems like he just writes too many books. I don't have the time for all of that. I have enough on my Kindle without going back into the Clancy archive.

edit: I did decide to go and grab those high resolution textures for Unreal. They do make it look better. :) Some of these maps are so huge that it seems like they might as well be mazes, though. :sweatdrop:

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 20, 2013

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, that, plus the ungodly reaction times the terrorists had. Even when I packed the best members, someone would ALWAYS end up shot in the head, and I'd literally have to block the AI teammates from rushing around corners. Granted, I was ten and didn't know what all the fancy controls were...

His newest book is trash, but all his novels are actually pretty great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gashroom posted:

I think the detail textures really help, and the procedural texture animations are still neat.

I love how Unreal (and UT99) uses procedual demoscene-type features for fire, particle effects, water and so on. And the MOD music, too.

Most of the original team probably came straight from making awesome demos, and it shows.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

KozmoNaut posted:

I love how Unreal (and UT99) uses procedual demoscene-type features for fire, particle effects, water and so on. And the MOD music, too.

Most of the original team probably came straight from making awesome demos, and it shows.

Yeah, it is an incredibly impressive game, especially considering it was made, like, 15 years ago. After patching it, and adding the HD textures, it could almost pass as a game that was made recently (the low resolution player models and questionable weapon models do detract a little from the immersion). The fact that it's possible to play it in all its splendor with a smooth framerate just makes it all that more awesome.

It's a shame that the multiplayer area is kinda dead for this game. It seems like the vast majority of the kinks have been worked out of it.

And I still think a co-op playthrough of the original story would be kinda fun. Maybe on friday night or something?

edit: I love pretending to be a gangbanger with the multimag. "Show me that secret area or I'll pop you in the head, Nali. (Pause) Thanks, but I guess I'll kill you anyway, 'cause that's how we do it in the hood."

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I was just informed by YouTube user blood mapedit that a new Blood mod was released today called CWHHROT - Scum Of Dallas 1.1

quote:

Features:
New story
New levels
New textures
Description:
===========================================
CALEB WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE ON TORONTO
SCUM OF DALLAS 1.1
By Frances Rampage (Jahrax & Junga)
Rescripted lite version by BME/ILMHB
===========================================
This version hasn't got the OGG music, DOSBox
related stuff and other (huge) unnecesary files.
The reduction has made the add-on 60 MB smaller
without leaving any essential stuff out!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions:

- UnZip CWHHROT.EXE and the folder of the same name to the BLOOD folder.
- Drag CWHHROT.EXE onto the DOSBox icon to start.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have fun!

I don't know what TORONTO SCUM OF DALLAS means but okay!

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Woolie Wool posted:

And now for some shameless self-promotion! :toot:
Also if anyone is in the mood for a Wolfenstein mod, I released an expansion pack to my ECWolf tech demo mod with 9 new huge levels (128x128 tiles instead of 64x64), a horribly deadly new enemy, and a new weapon (for a total of 8 now).
I haven't played the expansion episode yet, but I've just finished playing the original with the expansion loaded, and I've found a small problem. The expansion replaces the original episode's PLASTER1 and 2 wall textures, which means all the matching decorative walls don't match anymore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yodzilla posted:

So I was just informed by YouTube user blood mapedit that a new Blood mod was released today called CWHHROT - Scum Of Dallas 1.1

I don't know what TORONTO SCUM OF DALLAS means but okay!

Having not seen it, I'll just assume there's a character named "Toronto Scum" from the show Dallas who shot J.R., and the guy was really pissed about it. He spent over a decade working on his mod as his revenge.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I haven't played the expansion episode yet, but I've just finished playing the original with the expansion loaded, and I've found a small problem. The expansion replaces the original episode's PLASTER1 and 2 wall textures, which means all the matching decorative walls don't match anymore.

Wow, I only made a note to myself to fix it about 6 times and forgot every single one! :doh:

Well I hope you liked it otherwise.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

blood mod

I really wish that blood mod makers would get with the drat times and start putting in some bmouse support in their .bat and .cfg files, I hate having to gently caress around with that poo poo for like fifteen minutes to figure why it can't do an extremely basic thing properly

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not an early FPS, but I figured this'd be the best place to ask. Does anyone know the name of a Doom-style indie FPS that has a mechanical design and robot enemies? I think I even first heard of it in this thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hard Reset. It's like Doom in that you move incredibly slowly, all the enemies are faster than you, and everything just tries to ram into you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nope. It, uh, had sort of a comic book/cel-shaded style I guess you could say?

e: also it may or may not be finished. At the time I found it, it was still just a beta with a couple of levels.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 21, 2013

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Nope. It, uh, had sort of a comic book/cel-shaded style I guess you could say?

Cybermage, maybe hacx?

Thats all thats coming to my mind, although I don't know if you're going by the doom engine or that time period

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wrack?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I remember some 2.5d-style FPS where the enemies all looked like Mega Man Zero robots or something, but I'm really not able to remember what it was called.

Helpful, I know!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yes that's it. Thanks!

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

LvK posted:

I remember some 2.5d-style FPS where the enemies all looked like Mega Man Zero robots or something, but I'm really not able to remember what it was called.
That could be Retro Blazer

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think the developers have fallen off the face of the planet on that one, sadly. I emailed then a couple times over the past couple months - no response, sadly.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Supreme Power posted:

Yeah, it is an incredibly impressive game, especially considering it was made, like, 15 years ago. After patching it, and adding the HD textures, it could almost pass as a game that was made recently (the low resolution player models and questionable weapon models do detract a little from the immersion). The fact that it's possible to play it in all its splendor with a smooth framerate just makes it all that more awesome.

It's a shame that the multiplayer area is kinda dead for this game. It seems like the vast majority of the kinks have been worked out of it.

And I still think a co-op playthrough of the original story would be kinda fun. Maybe on friday night or something?

edit: I love pretending to be a gangbanger with the multimag. "Show me that secret area or I'll pop you in the head, Nali. (Pause) Thanks, but I guess I'll kill you anyway, 'cause that's how we do it in the hood."

What's the UT that people use nowadays for MP? UT2004 is almost dead, and UT3 and UT1 are filled with too many servers artificially pumping their poo poo up with bots.

I'm down for Friday night, we should do a rollcall. I'd ask if anyone wants to do stupid poo poo like playing with god-awful player models for the UT2004 port, but it seems like we all have Unreal Gold. I'm not sure how to organize this thing, though, since we're all going to be on different time zones and bullshit

Is it weird I'm only mildly liking Hard Reset? I don't know why, but arena shooters like Painkiller and HR (and even Serious Sam) don't do it anymore for me. I think Doom .wads have ruined me irrevocably.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 21, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hard Reset is a turd and it's hard to argue that I'm just looking at Doom through rose-tinted glasses since I still play it regularly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't know if Hard Reset is really bad on its own, but as something intended to clone Doom or Quake it's a complete failure.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I think it's a bit better than Painkiller in a way. Painkiller gives you interesting environments, but HR is a bit faster paced.

It is, however, more bullshitty and unfair.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

JackMackerel posted:

I'm down for Friday night, we should do a rollcall. I'd ask if anyone wants to do stupid poo poo like playing with god-awful player models for the UT2004 port, but it seems like we all have Unreal Gold. I'm not sure how to organize this thing, though, since we're all going to be on different time zones and bullshit

I'm down for Unreal Gold, since it's all I have. We could do some sort of deathmatch thing with it, or a coop thing through the game. I think it supports that, but I don't know if people would be getting telefragged when new levels start or not.

Maybe organize a USA thing, and a separate Europe thing. Maybe 9 or 10 PM EST for the USA?

I also don't know how we'd post the server:port stuff, but it would probably be the only server with more than 5 people on it, so...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
I love Painkiller but don't care much for Hard Reset. I don't know what it is about HR but I just really really suck at it. I consider myself decent at FPS but goddamn if that game doesn't kick my rear end every time.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Supreme Power posted:

I'm down for Unreal Gold, since it's all I have. We could do some sort of deathmatch thing with it, or a coop thing through the game. I think it supports that, but I don't know if people would be getting telefragged when new levels start or not.

Maybe organize a USA thing, and a separate Europe thing. Maybe 9 or 10 PM EST for the USA?

I also don't know how we'd post the server:port stuff, but it would probably be the only server with more than 5 people on it, so...

It supports co-op, it shouldn't telefrag us every time. Just be warned that a lot of the levels are co-op unfriendly - Chizra is really boring to get through in co-op. I'm not sure if I should run it, since the last time I ran a Unreal 1 co-op campaign, items respawned way too loving quickly and kinda made co-op a cakewalk. (Not that Unreal 1 isn't already a cakewalk.) And I'm on a >24 mbps connection. :smith:

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

JackMackerel posted:

It supports co-op, it shouldn't telefrag us every time. Just be warned that a lot of the levels are co-op unfriendly - Chizra is really boring to get through in co-op. I'm not sure if I should run it, since the last time I ran a Unreal 1 co-op campaign, items respawned way too loving quickly and kinda made co-op a cakewalk. (Not that Unreal 1 isn't already a cakewalk.) And I'm on a >24 mbps connection. :smith:

Maybe if the difficulty was set to Unreal or Godlike?

Someone with a faster connection might volunteer to host it. I just have a DSL connection.

VVVV - Maybe set it to something like 10-20% damage from friendly fire so the game doesn't devolve too quickly. People will get bored with teamkilling if it's difficult (that and the penalty for TK'ing on the larger maps will be very noticeable on Godlike difficulty, especially without respawning ammo). If you want to do a test run, that's cool.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 21, 2013

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Godlike might work. Add in friendly fire and non-respawning weapons/ammo for a REAL survival situation. :getin:

I'm going to have to aim for Saturday or Sunday, plans came up for tomorrow. :smith: If you want, we could try a test run tonight.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

A short while back, there was talk about the limitation of the Doom engine in regards to vertigo and directional poo poo.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36575 - A demo of an alpha of a mod's beta system was released that really seems like an interesting take on gravity puzzles. It kind of reminds me of a first-person Blast Chamber, sans the combat.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, GZDoom only.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 21, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fallom posted:

Hard Reset is a turd and it's hard to argue that I'm just looking at Doom through rose-tinted glasses since I still play it regularly.

I really don't think it was ever trying to be Doom. It's far, far more like Quake 2 and other shooters of that era.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dominic White posted:

I think the developers have fallen off the face of the planet on that one, sadly. I emailed then a couple times over the past couple months - no response, sadly.

it was being made by a bunch of furries, so it's not exactly surprising that there might have been some internal drama that stopped it dead.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I really don't think it was ever trying to be Doom. It's far, far more like Quake 2 and other shooters of that era.

It isn't like Quake 2 or Unreal at all. Hard Reset stop being interesting after the first 30 minutes, after that is just trying to dodge slowly charging robots and a race to unlock the Smartgun. I was really pumped about the game but it ended being boring and the free dlc (a good move to be honest) was absolutely poo poo on the first 5 minutes. I give them that they patched the game and listen the community for some tweaking but it was hard to fix that game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Garnavis posted:

I consider myself decent at FPS but goddamn if that game doesn't kick my rear end every time.

I feel that way about the whole Serious Sam series. Serious Sam is meant to be an homage to the "classic" era of FPSes but it feels absolutely nothing like any old FPS that I can think of. The thing it maybe comes closest to is one of those gimmick maps where a modder just crams a ton of enemies in a monster closet with a switch and gives you a poo poo-ton of power-ups right in the center of the map to deal with them.

But they basically just devolve into infinitely-respawning monster arenas where you're never not shooting, the layouts are generic and uninspired, and the only glue holding it all together is pure adrenaline. And again, they feel nothing like an old-school FPS.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tewratomeh posted:

I feel that way about the whole Serious Sam series. Serious Sam is meant to be an homage to the "classic" era of FPSes but it feels absolutely nothing like any old FPS that I can think of. The thing it maybe comes closest to is one of those gimmick maps where a modder just crams a ton of enemies in a monster closet with a switch and gives you a poo poo-ton of power-ups right in the center of the map to deal with them.

But they basically just devolve into infinitely-respawning monster arenas where you're never not shooting, the layouts are generic and uninspired, and the only glue holding it all together is pure adrenaline. And again, they feel nothing like an old-school FPS.

A lot of people believe, "Oh if you like Doom, you'll love Serious Sam". But to me, that's not very accurate. They're considerably different games. The thing is, Serious Sam is an homage to an older generation of FPS games. You have to remember that the whole "Doom" comparison was popular because the game emerged at a time when drab WW2 shooters were getting really popular. Cover and reloading mechanics, slower movement, realistic environments, and exposition were becoming the standard for FPS games. By comparison, Serious Sam went with bright, colorful environments, ridiculous sci-fi enemies, huge weapons and ammo counts, fast movement and power-ups, a scoring system, tons of secrets, and a threadbare plot that made fun of itself. A lot of these things are qualities of older FPS games. The mistake was calling it a modern Doom game which, arguably, it really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can anyone get bmouse working with Route 66 (the first Redneck Rampage expansion)? It's basically the same game, uses the same .cfg file, and I made sure to add bmouse.exe launch ROUTE66.EXE to its launcher but it still doesn't work.

When launching the game the loading preamble seems to suggest that bmouse.exe launched just fine, so I have no idea what the hell is going on :psyduck: