Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
For a change of pace I drilled down to the third cavern layer the very first thing in this new fort. Walled off a few small passages and I'm left with enough space to pasture my livestock and put farm plots down.

Floating Guts is passive wildlife, thankfully. My dogs tore a couple of them apart, and right after the walls went up a pack of like 10 crundles moved in from the edge of the map. Hopefully after I get set up I can put out a bunch of cage traps and maybe eat them? Or tame them?

Also, although this map doesn't have any iron ores it does have the makings for bronze. How does it compare to for armor? And what's the important part of a bolt's effectiveness, the weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bronze is basically slightly worse than iron. It has more shear yield than iron so theoretically it protects against cutting attacks better, but it is slightly worse in other categories.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Is there a good place to get world seeds in TYOOL 2015? I'm just trying to find an embark with magma a volcano and I am not sure where to look.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 8, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Is there a good place to get world seeds in TYOOL 2015? I'm just trying to find an embark with magma a volcano and I am not sure where to look.

It's not the easiest to look through, but there's a thread on the forums: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20638.0

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bronze is a cheaper, totally workable substitute for iron. Due to how the math works, it's slightly better for clubs and hammers and slightly more vulnerable against clubs and hammers in breastplate form. I can't tell if either effect is significant enough to be seen in action.

Bolts want as much cutting power as possible in as light a package as possible (up to a point). The standard hierarchy still works there.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 8, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Glory of Arioch posted:

Could probably do an advanced / custom worldgen and jack up the volcanism rate and number of volcanos. Volcanos require 100 volcanism on that tile to develop, so just setting the volcano number higher might not be able to give you what you want, so do both.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

Could probably do an advanced / custom worldgen and jack up the volcanism rate and number of volcanos. Volcanos require 100 volcanism on that tile to develop, so just setting the volcano number higher might not be able to give you what you want, so do both.

Also not that a high volcanism can make it hard to find Flux. If I'm looking for a volcano embark I copy the Small Region, jack the min volcanos up to like 10, and go at it several times. It's not perfect, but I can usually find a decent volcano/stream embark after a couple runs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there any way to automate making clothes for your dwarves to use as the stuff they're wearing becomes old and worn out? Should I just have a stockpile specifically for clothes, fill it with outfits, and just make more when it runs empty? It's kind of annoying to have to keep checking up on my dwarves to make sure they're not naked.

EDIT: The caravan from the mountainhome just arrived, and amongst the barrels of wine and rum are a barrel of gremlin sweat and a barrel of gremlin tears. What? :psyduck:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 8, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there any way to automate making clothes for your dwarves to use as the stuff they're wearing becomes old and worn out? Should I just have a stockpile specifically for clothes, fill it with outfits, and just make more when it runs empty? It's kind of annoying to have to keep checking up on my dwarves to make sure they're not naked.

Use workflow to get this going. My setup is this:

• Turn off Auto Loom (o-W-o, I think), that way you don't use up all your thread
  • Farmer's Workshops with "process plants" jobs set to Pig Tails as the only material (alt-a). I use a workflow range of 190-200 once I get everything ramped up
  • Loom setup to turn pig table fiber into cloth. I use the same range for this as I do the thread
  • Clothier's shops setup to churn out each piece of an outfit. I use a range of 30-35 or so which seems to work pretty well. If you end up with a really large fort you'll probably want that a bit higher.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks. I'll work on getting that set up now.

So, I just realized that I've got over 200 turkey eggs sitting in nestboxes, and they're all infertile. For some reason, my turkey gobbler isn't doing his one and only job, and I'm not sure why. Could it be because the eggs were laid by turkey hens that were then subsequently slaughtered? That wouldn't make much sense, since I still have my original turkey hens in there and none of their eggs have been fertilized either. I can't think of any other reason for why the eggs aren't getting fertilized, especially because the first generation of eggs that were laid were all fertilized, hatched perfectly fine, and were later slaughtered without hassle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks. I'll work on getting that set up now.

So, I just realized that I've got over 200 turkey eggs sitting in nestboxes, and they're all infertile. For some reason, my turkey gobbler isn't doing his one and only job, and I'm not sure why. Could it be because the eggs were laid by turkey hens that were then subsequently slaughtered? That wouldn't make much sense, since I still have my original turkey hens in there and none of their eggs have been fertilized either. I can't think of any other reason for why the eggs aren't getting fertilized, especially because the first generation of eggs that were laid were all fertilized, hatched perfectly fine, and were later slaughtered without hassle.

He could be gay.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tunicate posted:

He could be gay.

He did a fine job the first go-round. Maybe I have a particularly ugly turkey hen or two? :shrug:

Should I try telling my dwarves to cook all those eggs and start again?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: The caravan from the mountainhome just arrived, and amongst the barrels of wine and rum are a barrel of gremlin sweat and a barrel of gremlin tears. What? :psyduck:

It's the work of DFHack scripts that you aren't getting bumblebee ichor and draltha blood, too.

Here's an updated blood-del.lua that'll catch those, too.

code:
local my_entity=df.historical_entity.find(df.global.ui.civ_id)
local sText=" "
local k=0
local v=1

for x,y in pairs(df.global.world.entities.all) do
 my_entity=y
 k=0
 while k < #my_entity.resources.misc_mat.extracts.mat_index do
  v=my_entity.resources.misc_mat.extracts.mat_type[k]
  sText=dfhack.matinfo.decode(v,my_entity.resources.misc_mat.extracts.mat_index[k])
  if (sText==nil) then
   my_entity.resources.misc_mat.extracts.mat_type:erase(k)
   my_entity.resources.misc_mat.extracts.mat_index:erase(k)
   k=k-1
  else
   if(sText.material.id=="BLOOD") then
    k=k-1
   end
   if(sText.material.id=="ICHOR") then
    k=k-1
   end
   if(sText.material.id=="GOO") then
    k=k-1
   end
   if(sText.material.id=="SWEAT") then
    k=k-1
   end
   if(sText.material.id=="TEARS") then
    k=k-1
   end

end
  k=k+1
 end
end

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

It's the work of DFHack scripts that you aren't getting bumblebee ichor and draltha blood, too.

That's all well and good, but what is it? Does it even have a use?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's a miscellaneous type fluid related to creatures. If a civ has any sort of access to the base creatures, they'll bring barrels full of it on caravans. They treat it like milk, in that sense. If elves used creature products, they'd be bringing in mountain gnome tears.

It has no use unless you whip up reactions that specifically need it for something. I don't think there's any way for a player to even harvest that stuff.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Can you break barrels open? If so, you could have a literal fountain of tears (or blood, I suppose)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

neogeo0823 posted:

Should I try telling my dwarves to cook all those eggs and start again?

Yeah, whether eggs get fertilized is random. Just dump them or temporarily switch on an egg stockpile, and if you aren't already using the DFhack tweak that lets you see the eggs' status by selecting the egg box, do so. (It sounds like you are but I only learned about this the other day.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

It's also my understanding that if an egg isn't fertilized when it rolls out of the turkey hen, it never will be. At least, this is how I am treating the eggs that are in my turkey pen.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think I figured out the problem. Remember when I had mentioned that I had a zillion logs? Well, I must have accidentally selected the eggs and boxes for dumping back then, because the eggs themselves were marked for dumping. I had made sure that no dwarf was supposed to ever touch them for any reason, and none of my stockpiles allowed them, so they never got dumped. It must've confused the gobbler into never fertilizing them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I want to plant Pig Tails in one of my farm plots, but for some reason the option for that is red, and the highlighter turns purple when I try to select it. This is also happening for cave wheat, but nothing else. I have seeds available in a stockpile directly next to the plot. What's up with this?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What season is it?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I want to plant Pig Tails in one of my farm plots, but for some reason the option for that is red, and the highlighter turns purple when I try to select it. This is also happening for cave wheat, but nothing else. I have seeds available in a stockpile directly next to the plot. What's up with this?

Pig tails and cave wheat are seasonal crops. Use plant gathering on the surface to try and get some rope reed or hemp. That poo poo is year-round plantable.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, I forgot that it was Autumn. It literally just turned to winter though, so I'll have to plan around that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, so I found a few hemp seeds and selected those on that farm plot, but now no one seems to be planting it. They're all tending to the burgeoning plump helmet field. Should I just wait a while and see if they get to it, or is there something I need to check?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, so I found a few hemp seeds and selected those on that farm plot, but now no one seems to be planting it. They're all tending to the burgeoning plump helmet field. Should I just wait a while and see if they get to it, or is there something I need to check?

As long as you have hemp seeds, you're ok. If you gathered hemp plants, then they need to be processed at a farmer's workshop (use the Process Plants job) and the hemp plants will turn into hemp thread (for free, renewable plant fiber cloth) and hemp seeds. Or you can grind the plants at a quern or millstone, and they'll turn into hemp flour (valuable for cooking) and hemp seeds.

Once you've got a steady supply of hemp seeds, you can start grinding some hemp seeds at the quern/millstone to produce hempseed paste, which in turn gets pressed at a screw press into hempseed oil, with which you can start producing hemp oil soap! Hemp truly is a magical plant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Guys Rimworld is neat. Just FYI.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Guys Rimworld is neat. Just FYI.

We know.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And when he had opened the third seal, my face started melting

Toady One posted:

Here are some of the dance forms from a medium world: over here. We'll be moving on to the use of all of these generated art forms and instruments now, starting with the various newly-supported artists in world generation and then going into fortress mode taverns/artists/visitors, before handling adventure mode taverns/artists and the release.

Urist! it is time for the holy can-can, get your dance face on

quote:

A sacred solo dance originating in The Skinny Unions. The dance is accompanied by a [musical form name] as the dancer acts out the story of Ulet. This dance is a refined artform, with two special positions to be mastered. The entire dance has a basic movement called the oth. There is a series of sixteen steps in an intricate pattern with a powerful sway, joyous independent body movement and a high body level. The dance is strong, flamboyant and sharp-edged.

The dance begins with the theme of the music. This section is punctuated by kicks.

The dance enters a new section with the exposition of the theme of the music. This vivacious section is punctuated by passionate counterclockwise quarter turns, large leaps and lively footwork.

The dance enters a new section with the recapitulation of the theme of the music. This proud section is punctuated by kicks.

The ushav is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a leg lift.

The asri is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a grotesque facial expression.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The Maori War Can-Can.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I saw a grotesque facial expression. How blissful I am.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
This procedural music/dance tradition generation stuff is legitimately really fascinating and I don't think it's ever been done in a game before, and I'm honestly looking forward to reading about the weird and wonderful things my dorfs do at parties, but this

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The Maori War Can-Can.

made me crack the gently caress up so hard that one of my co-workers came over to see what the hell was going on.

I'm so excited for when this stuff finally makes it into a release :allears:

e: I wonder if we'll ever get the ability to make adventurers with the Dancing skill who can walk into taverns and move the hearts of everyone present by performing an incredibly passionate Maori War Can-Can.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If I have a "sharp-edged" dance form, can I kill demons with it?

Seriously, I need me some dance-fighting dorfs.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Yeah, it would be really cool to see the procedural dance stuff cross over into martial arts and military skills.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh man, procedurally generated martial arts sounds loving incredible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And horrifying. :stare:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

neogeo0823 posted:

I think I figured out the problem. Remember when I had mentioned that I had a zillion logs? Well, I must have accidentally selected the eggs and boxes for dumping back then, because the eggs themselves were marked for dumping. I had made sure that no dwarf was supposed to ever touch them for any reason, and none of my stockpiles allowed them, so they never got dumped. It must've confused the gobbler into never fertilizing them.

Okay, I know that Dwarf Fort breeding mechanics are a little wonky and maybe that's where you're coming from, but for my own peace of mind, you know that chicken do not reproduce like fish, right?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Esme posted:

Okay, I know that Dwarf Fort breeding mechanics are a little wonky and maybe that's where you're coming from, but for my own peace of mind, you know that chicken do not reproduce like fish, right?

Don't insult our intelligence. Even the youngest schoolchild knows that everything reproduces via spores.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Err, didn't that change recently, and now proximity is required, suggesting that sex may actually take place as an action?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Scandalous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Esme posted:

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that since sex really isn't in the game(thank god), the way it worked with egg laying things was basically the same way it worked with fish. Eggs get laid, and are later fertilized by the male. Yeah, it's weird, but I'd rather have that and dwarf-spores than having to worry about which dwarves and which animals are loving each other.