Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I would get something with quicksync, if at all possible. What NAS are you looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Wibla posted:

I would get something with quicksync, if at all possible. What NAS are you looking at?

The different TrueNAS Mini models.

https://www.truenas.com/truenas-mini/#Configure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Looking to buy a dedicated NAS server. Would a Dual-core C3338 Intel CPU with 8 GB ram be enough to handle PLEX for my home family usage? Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to Quad-core C3558 Intel CPU with 16 GB?

At most will be streaming to two devices on our LAN.

e: looks like dual with 8gb is good enough.

What are the two client devices your server will be streaming to?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex have changed their logo. I will let you use your knowledge of the history of companies changing their logo to guess whether it is good or not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They paid some agency probably 6 figures to make the logo lowercase.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

teagone posted:

What are the two client devices your server will be streaming to?

4k tv and a computer.
I don't think I have any 4k content though, maybe 4 or 5 movies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

4k tv and a computer.
I don't think I have any 4k content though, maybe 4 or 5 movies.

This question was basically about "will you need to transcode, especially 4k stuff" so you'll need to specify how you will be watching Plex on the TV. Is it a smart TV with a plex client already built in? If so, what brand/model? Are you using something like a Roku or other streaming box attached to the TV to run Plex? If so, what one?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Motronic posted:

This question was basically about "will you need to transcode, especially 4k stuff" so you'll need to specify how you will be watching Plex on the TV. Is it a smart TV with a plex client already built in? If so, what brand/model? Are you using something like a Roku or other streaming box attached to the TV to run Plex? If so, what one?

Oh. Roku build into the TV with the plex app. TCL 55" CLASS 4-SERIES 4K UHD HDR ROKU SMART TV - 55S423

I think this one: https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/home-theater/4-series/tcl-55-class-4-series-4k-uhd-led-roku-smart-tv-55s423

Most of the time watching 1080p video. Some streaming Flac music or viewing pictures.

How do I tell if I transcode?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex have changed their logo. I will let you use your knowledge of the history of companies changing their logo to guess whether it is good or not.

I kinda like it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh. Roku build into the TV with the plex app. TCL 55" CLASS 4-SERIES 4K UHD HDR ROKU SMART TV - 55S423

I think this one: https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/home-theater/4-series/tcl-55-class-4-series-4k-uhd-led-roku-smart-tv-55s423

Most of the time watching 1080p video. Some streaming Flac music or viewing pictures.

How do I tell if I transcode?

On the Plex Web app and click the activity icon (top right) when you're playing something on any of your client devices. Bring up your server's dashboard under activity, and it'll display the stream details of whatever is playing; it'll show if the content is either being direct played (no transcode) or transcoded.

The Roku TV should be fine to play everything 1080p, though if you use subtitles, make sure to grab .SRT formatted subs and either name them accordingly to use externally (https://support.plex.tv/articles/200471133-adding-local-subtitles-to-your-media/) or remux/embed them into the video file using something like MKVToolNix. Otherwise, any other format than .SRT will likely force a video transcode and the Intel Atom CPU might not be up for that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Embrace tradition

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Looking to buy a dedicated NAS server. Would a Dual-core C3338 Intel CPU with 8 GB ram be enough to handle PLEX for my home family usage? Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to Quad-core C3558 Intel CPU with 16 GB?

At most will be streaming to two devices on our LAN.

e: looks like dual with 8gb is good enough.

My Plex server has 8 GB of RAM and I've never seen total system usage exceed 2.5 GB. +1 on getting an Intel CPU with quicksync, the transcoding performance is stupid good.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

drat, I guess TrueNAS Mini's only come with Atom CPUs, which don't have quicksync

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They also appear to be super overpriced for what they are.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Motronic posted:

They also appear to be super overpriced for what they are.

I wasn't going to say, but yeah, this.

I'd just get a Fractal Design Node 804, a suitable micro-atx board with enough sata ports, an i5 with quicksync and call it good. Add drives to taste :v:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Any suggestions for a 4-bay pre-built NAS device that I can install TrueNAS on?

It would be great if it looked professional, wife approved.

e: I'm over building PCs myself. I'd rather pay someone to just get it working.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wibla posted:

I wasn't going to say, but yeah, this.

I'd just get a Fractal Design Node 804, a suitable micro-atx board with enough sata ports, an i5 with quicksync and call it good. Add drives to taste :v:

Not everyone wants a big heavy cube that they have to install a bunch of poo poo on

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Any suggestions for a 4-bay pre-built NAS device that I can install TrueNAS on?

It would be great if it looked professional, wife approved.

e: I'm over building PCs myself. I'd rather pay someone to just get it working.

The NAS thread can probably help you https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&pagenumber=720#lastpost

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inept posted:

Not everyone wants a big heavy cube that they have to install a bunch of poo poo on

This essentially describes those TrueNAS boxes as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd look at one of the higher-end QNAP NASes at that point, they support containers, transcoding etc.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I feel obligated to point out that if you have clients capable of decoding what's stored on disk, you don't need transcoding power on the server. For me, a $50 Fire Stick upgrade was far and away the more economical option than a big beefy server.

I realize this won't work for everyone but it seems worth mentioning.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

This essentially describes those TrueNAS boxes as well.

I haven't used one of them, I just figured they came with TrueNAS already installed and some sort of setup walkthrough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inept posted:

I haven't used one of them, I just figured they came with TrueNAS already installed and some sort of setup walkthrough.

"Installing" TrueNAS to the point of getting the guided setup consists of imaging a USB stick, plugging it in, and pressing the power button.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been running Unraid for a few years now and TrueNAS seemed a helluva lot harder to figure out than Unraid. Maybe I didn't give it a chance, though.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Gay Retard posted:

I've been running Unraid for a few years now and TrueNAS seemed a helluva lot harder to figure out than Unraid. Maybe I didn't give it a chance, though.

I felt the same way when I set up my Unraid box a few years back but looking at some of the recent Level1Tech videos it seems way more noob-friendly now, especially with the release of TrueNAS Scale.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never really understood the NAS desire just based on the prices I see going around for Synology etc units. They seem neat, but also so limited for a lot of money. Going the DAS route to a small computer (in my case, a Mac Mini) has never let me down.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gay Retard posted:

Truenas has received a lot of polish over the past several years since the rebrand from freenas.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Inept posted:

Motronic posted:

"Installing" TrueNAS to the point of getting the guided setup consists of imaging a USB stick, plugging it in, and pressing the power button.

Personally I'd just build something like this (Node 304) for $500ish* (sans drives), instead of spending about the same money (or more) for a bare QNAP. Put the TrueNAS Scale installer on a USB stick and follow a video guide from Level1Tech.

I understand that people are "over" building computers, though. There's a tradeoff here, buy some lovely, overpriced NAS, or spend a few hours building something good that will last basically forever**. I would never recommend those prebuilt TrueNAS servers to anyone, they're wildly overpriced for what (little) they offer.

*I couldn't find a reasonably priced m-ITX motherboard with >4 SATA ports :argh:
**My current NAS is powered by an i5-2500k. Yeah you read that right, it's from 2011 :v: It won't quite saturate 10GbE, but that's mostly because I don't have enough spindles, and I haven't bothered adding a cache NVMe SSD either.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've never really understood the NAS desire just based on the prices I see going around for Synology etc units. They seem neat, but also so limited for a lot of money. Going the DAS route to a small computer (in my case, a Mac Mini) has never let me down.

Mac Mini is $700, plus $200 for a 4 bay DAS. Now it is two boxes with more wires going between, possibly needing two power connections. Seems like the same price as just getting an above-average NAS?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Mac Mini is $700, plus $200 for a 4 bay DAS. Now it is two boxes with more wires going between, possibly needing two power connections. Seems like the same price as just getting an above-average NAS?

I just listed my specific machine because I had it anyway and I use it constantly while it also does all my plex/*arr stuff. Having two power cords not one wasn't really a consideration that made any difference to me either, I guess it might be something a few people care about though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mainly got one (DS920+) because I was lazy with building my own system, it's fairly drat power efficient, and I got it on sale through a pricing error on Staples

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Wibla posted:

I'd just get a Fractal Design Node 804,

Did that, it ruled. Six HDDs! (and then four as it became main games pc for a couple years)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wibla posted:

**My current NAS is powered by an i5-2500k. Yeah you read that right, it's from 2011 :v: It won't quite saturate 10GbE, but that's mostly because I don't have enough spindles, and I haven't bothered adding a cache NVMe SSD either.

The power usage of that over the last decade of running 24/7 probably covers buying a NAS box or two though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Inept posted:

The power usage of that over the last decade of running 24/7 probably covers buying a NAS box or two though.

I measured the power draw over a week of normal usage and it averaged out to 90W* measured at the wall with 8 drives spinning. Sandy Bridge with no dGPU is pretty frugal.
This was also all repurposed hardware beyond some cheap LSI 9211's I got from ebay and 4in3 frames I've had since the early 00's anyway.

*788 kWh per year.

E: a 10-bay QNAP is $1700. Yikes. No way that would pay itself back.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 29, 2022

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
right now I'm running my old gaming computer as a plex server with like 3 10 TB drives and a 5TB (all external) hard drives of plex stuff plugged into it via USB, all backed up to backblaze. This is obviously a very inefficient setup, and I'm thinking about trying to shuck all the drives and get a NAS or something since I don't really need a nvidia 1080 and whatnot in my plex server. I'm currently almost out of space, so I've been contemplating some upgrade other than "plugging in a 5th external drive", but NAS stuff seems both ridiculously expensive and also seems difficult to find at the moment?

Is there some cheapish enclosure I can just jam a bunch of drives into if I'm still willing to use my actual PC to run it all?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Substandard posted:

Is there some cheapish enclosure I can just jam a bunch of drives into if I'm still willing to use my actual PC to run it all?

You're probably looking for something like this: https://www.newegg.com/orico-9558u3-enclosure/p/0VN-0003-001J7?Item=9SIA1DSAE12991

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Substandard posted:

right now I'm running my old gaming computer as a plex server with like 3 10 TB drives and a 5TB (all external) hard drives of plex stuff plugged into it via USB, all backed up to backblaze. This is obviously a very inefficient setup, and I'm thinking about trying to shuck all the drives and get a NAS or something since I don't really need a nvidia 1080 and whatnot in my plex server. I'm currently almost out of space, so I've been contemplating some upgrade other than "plugging in a 5th external drive", but NAS stuff seems both ridiculously expensive and also seems difficult to find at the moment?

Grab a cheap SAS HBA and some reverse breakout cables and get some 16-18TB drives or something, set them up in RAID6 and call it good :sun:

(The NAS thread is a good place to start)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Did Plex recently add the ability to work on your network with no internet connection? I know it's been something people have been asking for forever, but I lost internet yesterday and Plex still worked. 2 months ago when I lost internet, Plex did not work. So this must have been a recent addition? Or was this just some fluke? Oddly enough googling the question gives me zero answers (just a bunch of people asking how to do it). Did they add this without making an announcement or something?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same. I use a Windows 10 desktop that has 10 hard drives in the tower, and two external USB boxes that house 4 hard drives each. Plus I can also use this PC for other stuff like Gamestream. I also feel like with a Windows box it's a lot easier to remote in and trouble shoot compared to a Synology. I'd have to learn a new OS. The only benefit I can see is lower power usage (I would still want a decent PC anyay for 4k stuff) and I am guessing it's more stable (I would say I have to reboot Windows maybe once every 2 months, but the Synology is probably once a year I am guessing). Never seemed worth it to me to have to use proprietary hardware, an OS I am not familiar with, extremely limited expansion options, etc.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I feel like it's always worked, at least to a certain extent? I'm pretty sure I've used it offline in the past.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nettle Soup posted:

I feel like it's always worked, at least to a certain extent? I'm pretty sure I've used it offline in the past.

Yeah it requires a connection by default but there's a setting change I don't recall that allows you to stream without internet. I had an outage a year or so ago and was infuriated I couldn't watch without internet so I think I posted in this very thread and someone walked me through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

This is the guide I used to make sure I was good to go with internet