Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kind of worried to not see Gumball on that list :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

'Adventure Time,'

'Regular Show,'

"3 more" :catstare:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

Nearly all five series rank No. 1 in their respective time periods among kids/boys

Kids, boys, same diff

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I know this is potentially a big :can: on SA, but are those ratings still determined by the incredibly archaic Nielsen system? If so, holy poo poo, how are we still measuring a show's popularity like that in TYOOL 2015. :psyduck:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pksage posted:

I know this is potentially a big :can: on SA, but are those ratings still determined by the incredibly archaic Nielsen system? If so, holy poo poo, how are we still measuring a show's popularity like that in TYOOL 2015. :psyduck:

Probably because it's all we've got. Networks undoubtedly take into account things like digital download sales and online streaming when making executive decisions about shows, and also have focus groups and maybe even run their own polling, but they don't typically release those numbers, so Nielsen ratings are the best that the general public has to go by.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pksage posted:

Pakled posted:

Probably because it's all we've got. Networks undoubtedly take into account things like digital download sales and online streaming when making executive decisions about shows, but they don't typically release those numbers, so Nielsen ratings are the best that the general public has to go by.

Other, better methods have been developed. The problem is that Nielsen Holdings N.V. is a corporation with a value in the billions of dollars, which you can't really compete with.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Also, a ton of money is tied up in this specific system. Dramatic change to that system could wreak havoc on a lot of people's bottom lines.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

pksage posted:

Do you consider little pager devices that pick up the signal of anything you listen to less archaic than the devices that just attach to your cable box? At least that way they can track what people are watching away from home.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think the Nielsen system, while still terrible, has grown over time. I heard they take into account digital downloads and other sources besides just the Nielsen families.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
The Studio Trigger (Little Witch Academia 2 creators) and RS/Ian twitter fanart trades are adorable:

Was little witch academia 2 sent out to people who backed it on Kickstarter or something because I've seen a ton of talk about it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Macdoo posted:

The Studio Trigger (Little Witch Academia 2 creators) and RS/Ian twitter fanart trades are adorable:

Was little witch academia 2 sent out to people who backed it on Kickstarter or something because I've seen a ton of talk about it.

People who pledged are getting daily links to it streaming, blu-rays are going to be sent out soon - it either has or is going to be premiered at some anime convention.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

pksage posted:

It seems like, especially in digital systems, the viewer has to request a stream to view. Like, the data has to be sent to them for them to watch it. Why aren't the cable companies simply maintaining logs of how many people are actively receiving a particular stream at any given time? Why rely on a third party company who could A) make incorrect analysis, or B) simply be listening to the wrong people, when they could just do the number crunching themselves from 100% correct information? They could then even sell that info to their production companies/subsidiaries.

Or is it that Cable is such a backwater technology that this kind of logging and analysis isn't possible? :shrug: :iiam:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blasphemeral posted:

It seems like, especially in digital systems, the viewer has to request a stream to view. Like, the data has to be sent to them for them to watch it. Why aren't the cable companies simply maintaining logs of how many people are actively receiving a particular stream at any given time? Why rely on a third party company who could A) make incorrect analysis, or B) simply be listening to the wrong people, when they could just do the number crunching themselves from 100% correct information? They could then even sell that info to their production companies/subsidiaries.

Or is it that Cable is such a backwater technology that this kind of logging and analysis isn't possible? :shrug: :iiam:

My guess is that the cable company's systems can only log the raw quantity of streams requested of a particular show, and when. Nielsen is still useful for learning about the actual demographics of people watching those shows, which is super important for the marketing end of things.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

axleblaze posted:

I recall hearing bocquelet has a proper ending in mind, I really hope he gets to do it instead of just petering out like so many serial cartoons before it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blasphemeral posted:

Cable TV is still pretty much a multicast system, it's not like netflix where you request a video and they stream that one video to you, it's easy to track when you hit start/stop and everything else with the client/server approach. With cable, satellite and even IPTV you're basically getting every channel and your receiver is just tuning to the one you want to/are allowed to display. With newer set top boxes (usually ones with DVR functionality) they have the ability to track when, how and what people are watching, but not everyone has the top of the line model. The lovely motorola set top box you get with basic cable is just a tuner, no statistical data can be gleaned from it, same as if you just plugged the cable into your TV directly.

Also like deadly_pudding says, there is demographic data that's impossible to record this way (size of household, age of viewers, household income, etc.) which marketing companies want.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

My guess is that the cable company's systems can only log the raw quantity of streams requested of a particular show, and when. Nielsen is still useful for learning about the actual demographics of people watching those shows, which is super important for the marketing end of things.

I'd be surprised if the streaming services didn't have any demographic data to provide and couldn't provide extremely detailed information on when shows were viewed, how often they were viewed to completion, skipped, etc.

I suspect that (for the moment) cable viewers (tracked by Nielsen) are still a larger audience, and data needs to be ingested from each streaming service separately, but these things are likely to change further over time.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Flying-PCP posted:

Cute little short explaining the basics of what gems are showed up on CN's website recently. Basically just stuff that's been stated or that we'd figured out already, but some of the specific wording might be of interest. Some people outside the US have been having trouble seeing it, don't know what to tell you about that (someone will mirror it soon I'm sure).

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/steven-universe/what-are-gems-short-episode.html

I was wondering where the clip of Garnet chasing Amethyst came from now I know.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Mohawk Potato posted:

Now I wonder if the Amethyst plate chomping scene will make it in an episode at some point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

I'm probably wrong but isn't Gumball REALLY popular? Not AT levels, but pretty drat good? I'm sure it's fine

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It even had a Chinese rip-off like AT, so I think it's safe.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

Megaspel posted:

I think the Nielsen system, while still terrible, has grown over time. I heard they take into account digital downloads and other sources besides just the Nielsen families.

You still fill out a pen and paper booklet, but they ask you put in digital watches and DVR stuff as well. I had to list Yahoo as a channel when watching the last season of Community.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm probably wrong but isn't Gumball REALLY popular? Not AT levels, but pretty drat good? I'm sure it's fine

Yeah, that's what I thought to. It's one of the shows they rerun every day. They don't show it at TTG levels (which is like 40% of the CN lineup this point) but they still show like 4-8 episodes a day, which indicates that it gets people watching. I'm sure it's fine but I'd feel better if it was on that list.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mohawk Potato posted:

Huh, yeah that explains it.

Say, are there any more of those kinds of shorts?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Saw this on Twitter: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-steven-universe-original-graphic-novel-cover-20150625-story.html

La Times posted:

Based on a story by "Steven Universe" supervising director Ian Jones-Quartey, "Steven Universe: Too Cool for School" will give readers a closer look at the friendship between Steven and Connie and what happens when Steven tags along with Connie to school one day. (Hint: There is a reason Steven doesn't regularly attend school with humans.)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What is Gumball about? Guess I gotta give it a shot if you guys think its good.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
slice of life in a world ran on cartoon logic. Basically an excuse to do comedy skits from what I have seen of Gumball

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Gumball, on it's surface, is a very basic comedy show. It's a family with a smart mom, dumb dad and three children. The first season was pretty basic beyond the show's strange art style and a few good episodes but after that the show keeps getting weirder and weirder, getting away with weirder and more meta stuff as it goes along. Like the characters going on a sugar induced trip that makes them question the meaning of life and in their search the universe sings them a song about how their lives are meaninglessness weird. It also does meta stuff oddly well, like an episode where the characters voices change and they go through a depressing time realizing their childhood is over and just when they finally have accepted it they get new voice actors.

It's a really good show. The fact that's it's only my third favorite thing on CN shows how good they currently are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The other thing about Gumball is that its character design is all over the place because it started with the creator putting a bunch of rejected characters he had created for commercials against the backdrop of a school and having thoughts. Some characters are traditionally animated, some are CG, one is a mouth puppet.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Flying-PCP posted:

Cute little short explaining the basics of what gems are showed up on CN's website recently. Basically just stuff that's been stated or that we'd figured out already, but some of the specific wording might be of interest. Some people outside the US have been having trouble seeing it, don't know what to tell you about that (someone will mirror it soon I'm sure).

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/steven-universe/what-are-gems-short-episode.html

"Nice mass!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Gumball episode where the dad gets a job which causes reality to come undone is pretty amazing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

The Gumball episode where the dad gets a job which causes reality to come undone is pretty amazing

That's the best season 1 episode and pretty much the basis for the direction the show has gone since.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I always wondered why Gumball never had its own thread. It really competes with Steven for my favorite animated tv show.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Macaluso posted:

I have a real hard time choosing between that one and the Daniel Lenard episode. The latter is not as surreal but the jokes are razor sharp.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

I have a real hard time choosing between that one and the Daniel Lenard episode. The latter is not as surreal but the jokes are razor sharp.

It's not as good without the sauce.

I could probably make a Gumball thread, but it might be worth waiting until after summer when new episodes have a chance to be more regular.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I suppose should check out more Gumball. The kinda weird, all-over-the-place character designs don't entirely do it for me (the goldfish character with feet is a bit wtf), but the one or two episodes I've seen were reasonably entertaining. Might just have to give the art style some time to sink in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If loving Darwin is too far out for you, then Gumball's not really for you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Flying-PCP posted:

My favorite part is that Pearl knows that she's supposed to say 'write an essay' but doesn't know what an essay is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

Probably because it's all we've got. Networks undoubtedly take into account things like digital download sales and online streaming when making executive decisions about shows, and also have focus groups and maybe even run their own polling, but they don't typically release those numbers, so Nielsen ratings are the best that the general public has to go by.

Toonami's been making a point of spaming the hashtags for their shows just to show something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kefkafloyd posted:

Those are both great, but the jumanji episode is my favourite because the comic timing is flawless all the way through (also because my non-cartoon-watching family caught me watching it and they actually thought it was funny instead of just weird :shobon:)

• Locked thread