Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

sout posted:

Wait, do we use it to shoot Todd Howard, or does it fire Todd Howard?
I bet Todd "You're a kid now" Howard would make himself an unkillable NPC.

Well I was thinking a gun shaped like Todd Howard that shoots bullets shaped like Todd Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FauxGateau posted:

This thread is the one Fallout 4 deserves. A "pretty-looking" waste of time.

"Time you enjoyed wasting isn't wasted time."
--Beatrix Russell

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JackBadass posted:

Because it's easier to post about Fallout than to play Fallout.

Yeah but I'm fairly certain you don't enjoy either of those.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah but I'm fairly certain you don't enjoy either of those.

Why's that?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JackBadass posted:

Why's that?

[Speech 55/75] umm you seem to be "making the piss" as they say.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

FauxGateau posted:

[Speech 55/75] umm you seem to be "making the piss" as they say.

[FAILED] I'm in a thread discussing the subject matter (or offshoots of it). If I didn't enjoy discussing it, I wouldn't.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Sounds like your the raider here, poor guy.

"I've had to kill many to get to where I am today.

And where I am today is dead. Dead on the inside."

~FIN~

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Opens up console

KILLALL

Player.additem Monster Brew 1000

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Error: did you mean you want to add 1000 of item: Monster Brew, or that you want to add an unspecified quantity of item: Monster Brew 1000

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

2house2fly posted:

Error: did you mean you want to add 1000 of item: Monster Brew, or that you want to add an unspecified quantity of item: Monster Brew 1000
Based on the spacing he obviously meant to add Brew of item: Monster. 1000 is a superfluous third parameter.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey cream of plenty do you know if Todd Howard said anything about marriage in Fallout 4? Cause I wanna marry my dog but I'll be upset if I can't because you can marry a lizard person or a redguard in skyrim. So they should

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do we know if we get crossbows, harpoon guns, laser fists or something along that line?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Inzombiac posted:

Do we know if we get crossbows, harpoon guns, laser fists or something along that line?

I want something that can do all those things at once :hellyeah:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Monster Brew is actually every item, weapon and armor mashed into some horrible confusing pile that has a chance to kill your enemies in one hit as much as it has in nuking you.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
ALRIGHT I'm asking this if no one else is:

What is Monster Brew.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FauxGateau posted:

Hey cream of plenty do you know if Todd Howard said anything about marriage in Fallout 4? Cause I wanna marry my dog but I'll be upset if I can't because you can marry a lizard person or a redguard in skyrim. So they should

Not directly, no, although during TES V: Skyrim's development, T. Howard mentioned being surprised that people "liked playing in third person".

It's a short interview, but since people are impatient:

quote:

"The other thing is, these games are all about immersion. When you think about a Bethesda title, it's absolutely one of the top three things that comes to mind. 'Immersion'. And I have to ask, how immersed can a person be when they're looking at the back of their own head? When you get ambushed by a group of raiders, it should be through your own 'eyes' so that you feel like you're the one being attacked; when you engage one of our NPCs, it should be as close to 'face to face' as possible--you see them, you hear them, and you interface with them like you would in real life.

"While there's always a demand to keep the third person camera available, I've been pushing for increasingly immersive features that really only benefit from a first person view. In Oblivion, this was almost entirely relegated to combat; in Fallout 3, you had the addition of richer NPC interactions in the form of party members with these amazing backgrounds; in Skyrim, you're going to see these same types of interactions...and maybe also the possibility of romance. I don't want to give away too much, though.

"But how much of a connection can you form with an NPC--especially romantically--if you're looking over your own character's shoulder like...like an invisible peeping tom? Probably not much more than when you watch a couple kiss in real life, or make love. Yet if we're aspiring to make our games as captivating as can be, we need you to feel like you're the one who is talking with this NPC, or fighting with them, or kissing them, or loving them--not some hidden audience member. Our players need to feel like they're actively doing things to other people, not just acting as spectators."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 12, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FauxGateau posted:

It's utterly insane that they would let you build a loving bond with the dog bUT not allow you to express that bond sexually

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

dog kisser posted:

What is Monster Brew.

When you wake up in time to see a red sunrise
When you kiss a girl and go "wowie"
When you shake a man's hand and can't let go
When you find a secret dollar in an old pair of jean shorts
When you know that somebody's god is listening to your prayers
When the last bit of buttermilk makes a perfect glass
When you get the drop on your worst enemy
When you stick out your tongue and catch a tasty drop of sour rain
When you don't know how to dance but whatever you're doing is just fine

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

So far the coolest Fallout 4 thing is how with every new bit of information they reveal everyone I know who likes these games becomes visibly less excited lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

So far the coolest Fallout 4 thing is how with every new bit of information they reveal everyone I know who likes these games becomes visibly less excited lol

This, but the other way

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dog kisser posted:

What is Monster Brew.

Something they are trying to make happen that will never happen.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

it sounds like everyone you know is really lame and boring.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

lol ok then. Has there even been any new information revealed since E3?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Odobenidae posted:

Nothing more than Todd Howard promising how they learned from Skyrim's issues. We ain't going to get any in depth interview out of Game Informer or whatever until the fall most likely so we're all stuck waiting and faking quotes from ol' T-Hod.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Odobenidae posted:

We can't marry our dog.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

What about just a casual hookup then?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Duckbag posted:

What about just a casual hookup then?

What if they were just asking for it?

:wink:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Todd Howard posted:

Ask not what your Crew can do for you - but what you can do for your Crew.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
As soon as I picked up the 9mm or .357 and saw the terrible textures, and heard the awful sfx, I knew that New Vegas was going to mostly be a recycled turd of an expansion. Then I tried the cool new throwing spear and couldn't even retrieve it from the corpse of the wild dog. Don't even get me started on those loving Cazador motherfuckers. I would from then on only play the game to check out the progress made on Millenia's weapon re-texturing mod or gently caress around with sound mods trying to get the basic weapons to not sound like rear end. By the time that was finished I had lost all interest in the game. While technically not part of the intro sequence, any game that manages to lose my interest even before leaving the starting town has got to be doing something wrong.

In contrast, resolving the starting quest in Fallout 3 by returning to Vault101 was something I never actually got around to, partly because it was somewhat rareapparently impossible to actually have a game that got that far along without you resolving the main quest first, partly because most of the time it seemed like my choices in escaping the vault in the first place would have left absolute chaos behind and hence there seemed little point in returning, and whether it was intentional or not, the potential companionship of the Amata character seemed so utterly uninspiring that I just really didn't care to go back and find out what might have happened. I never decided not to return; it was simply something I never got around to actually doing, which is pretty telling given I spent probably over 400 hours playing the game and finished it at least three or four times. It was very well done I thought, leaving a lingering psychological unease of unfinished business and a potentially unpleasant aftertaste over the whole game right from the start. Also it served to hammer home the absolutist nature of vault life and of being a pariah totally unable to return to safety, as the door is resolutely and hermetically closed, sealing off who-knows-what awful tragedy being perpetrated on the other side. A point which justified reiteration given that you are always somehow able to get into the other vaults in the game (at least I dont think there is ever a door to a vault that you simply cannot ever open or interact with, which is strange as that should be completely normal in the rare event you ever do discover another vault). At most the sequence could have been criticised for not being entirely bug-free at launch (I think there were some continuity issues until a few patches in, but then again, that was testament to the scope and complexity of the interactions). I mean, even just having a quest where the game implicitly tells you 'go anywhere else, you are no longer welcome here and have a lot of growing up to do before you can return' seems pretty great by modern writing standards. You weren't forced to replay the intro every time you wanted to restart the game, as there was an autosave just before you exited, so that whole issue was adequately resolved right from the off, although it didn't give you the option to also resolve the quests differently, but hey, just restart properly if you care that much. That's without even considering the alternative start mods. I did mean to get a hold of the strategy guide at some point and find out what could have happened to Amata.

Ed. Huh, seems there are quite a few endings where Amata flees into the wasteland cursing your name for ruining everything! Who knew?

Flaky fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 12, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Source your quotes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have the strategy guide, and can tell you what happens to Amata, but I won't.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't know what will happen if I do this, but I presume it will be boring, so it shall be.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Plays three minutes of a game with a great selection of guns and says, "This is fail."

Plays 20 hours of a game with essentially 10 boring, lovely guns, and says, "This is some win, but I don't want to rescue Amata."

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

Plays three minutes of a game with a great selection of guns and says, "This is fail."

Plays 20 hours of a game with essentially 10 boring, lovely guns, and says, "This is some win, but I don't want to rescue Amata."
all fallout 3 > nv posters have been demonstrated to either be fakeposting, have chronic brain damage, or wish the series didn't progress beyond mad max in which case there will soon be a game for them

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeh what the gently caress was I thinking

Flaky posted:

Fallout 3...It was very well done I thought...seems pretty great by modern writing standards.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 12, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

all fallout 3 > nv posters have been demonstrated to either be fakeposting, have chronic brain damage, or wish the series didn't progress beyond mad max in which case there will soon be a game for them

It's post apocalypse, that means that there's never civilization on that planet ever again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I prefer New Vegas like all people of taste and refinement but Fallout should take more from Mad Max. Specifically they should have vehicles, since Fallout 2 I've wanted a proper car. But I guess Fury Road came out too late to have much influence on Fallout 4.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

I prefer New Vegas like all people of taste and refinement but Fallout should take more from Mad Max. Specifically they should have vehicles, since Fallout 2 I've wanted a proper car. But I guess Fury Road came out too late to have much influence on Fallout 4.
You get to be flied around on a private vertibird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Piloted by your dog even!

• Locked thread