Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

canyoneer posted:

I thought everyone north were Frost Germans

Fraustrians, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

for future reference, swamp germans are the dutch. norwegians are mountain apes.

danes are potato something, i forgot

Does that mean the Dutch are like the pyromancers from Dark Souls? Because I, too, like setting things on fire.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Colonial legacies get weird like that. India has almost its own dialect of English since they obviously had to learn it during colonial times, and apparently they actually take some pride in having a more old-fashioned way of speaking it.

I'm not sure if there's equivalent differences to say, central and south american versions of Spanish and Portuguese, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mexican accented Spanish is pretty much the reverse and has a lot of different pronunciation stemming from indigenous languages and related slang. One of the reasons I gave up learning it despite living in So-Cal and being brown as a lunch bag is my teachers spoke with Southern Spain/Peruvian/Cuban accents respectively, and my own pronunciation of it is guttural and has almost no inflection, so no one was a winner with that one.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChubbyChecker posted:

What sound do the québécois make when they laugh?

hein hein hein

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

ChubbyChecker posted:

What sound do the québécois make when they laugh?

It's one of many variations of FFFFFFfffffffffffff, mixed in with a big dollop of contempt.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure if there's equivalent differences to say, central and south american versions of Spanish and Portuguese, but it wouldn't surprise me.

With Portuguese both have diverged in different ways, neither sound more conserved than the other. Brazilian with somewhat less formal grammar rules, new pronounciations and indigenous loanwords, European Portuguese with stress-timing, vowel reductions and their own set of novel pronounciations.

When I read late medieval Portuguese the closest living language that comes to mind is Galician. Ish. Far from identical but Galician does have some old features that you see in old Portuguese texts that has since diminished from BP and EP. Kind of funny that Galician pronunciation fit Portuguese orthography better than actual Portuguese nowadays.

Not to say that Galician has been static with large Castilian influences among other things but it does seem more more conserved in several aspects.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Feb 26, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Peanut President posted:

uhh most of the rich white (non yankee) liberals in the south's large cities are former slave owners my dude, sorry to ruin your classist argument?

well yeah if you take out the yankees and ignore the actual people who live in the cities then yes... there are succdems there?

who the gently caress here is stanning for Charleston liberals though? I think we're on the same side Mr President

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Feb 29, 2020

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

During the ancient greek olympics, if an athlete got caught cheating, refs would give them a beatdown in front of the crowd.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

During the ancient greek olympics, if an athlete got caught cheating, refs would give them a beatdown in front of the crowd.

Hm, this would make soccer interesting to watch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 208 BCE a group of peasants rebelled against the emperor Gaozu of Han. One of the generals, Xiang Yu, managed to capture the emperor's father. He then threatened to boil him alive if the emperor didn't surrender. The emperor's answer was: "I hope you will be kind enough to send me a cup of the soup." Not only did the emperor crush the rebellion, his father also survived.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/Prize_Papers/status/1234974269450244096

The Prize Papers collection is fascinating af.

Mostly only letters from/to royalty and nobility have been preserved, but when British privateers captured foreign ships, all the documents on board were confiscated by the crown and remain in the National Archives to this day — including private letters from/to commoners and burghers. Super cool stuff!

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Mar 7, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's also some pretty great letters between Hadrian's Wall and the roman centre, including adorable stuff like moms writing that they've sent along fresh socks to their legionary sons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah wasn't that's where they found the "I went to Rome and all I got you was this stylus" souvenir present lol

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When Howard Hughes was living in the penthouse of the Desert Inn hotel in vegas, one of the neon signs of a nearby hotel was annoying him. So he bought the hotel to get rid of it. When his favorite flavor baskin robbins ice cream was discontinued, he did the minimum order of 350 gallons for them to bring it back for him, but he got tired of the banana nut soon after it arrived.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

When Howard Hughes was living in the penthouse of the Desert Inn hotel in vegas, one of the neon signs of a nearby hotel was annoying him. So he bought the hotel to get rid of it. When his favorite flavor baskin robbins ice cream was discontinued, he did the minimum order of 350 gallons for them to bring it back for him, but he got tired of the banana nut soon after it arrived.

He not only loved the movie Ice Station Zebra, he became obsessed with it. He purchased the local CBS affiliate station so they would have a channel just playing it; if he missed a scene, he'd call the studio and tell them to rewind. He made up for his bad hearing by installing a giant "home" theatre system in the penthouse, including vacating the room below him when they complained about the noise shaking the chandeliers. He played a lot of other films, but in his final months he ran Ice Station Zebra an estimated 150 times on loop.

He was raised by a supremely germophobic mother who contributed a lot to his adult insanity. From his personal chef:

quote:

He said Hughes existed at times on fudge, milk and water. The chef said Hughes once sent him a four-page memo on how to pick a can of peaches from the shelf, how to open the can and which peach to select. Reich, who cooked at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, said Hughes stuck to a regimented diet of the same foods, changing the menu about every four months. When Hughes moved to Las Vegas, Reich stayed in Los Angeles but continued to cut steaks for the recluse, who had them flown to Nevada. He said Hughes demanded everything be prepared exactly as he instructed and instantly detected any variation, such as an unwashed cutting board or too much seasoning. Reich said that while Hughes was precise about how his meals were prepared, he didn't have someone taste his food before he ate it. The chef said Hughes demanded that all utensils used in cooking be sterilized. Reich was Hughes' chef from 1958 to 1967, while the billionaire lived in a bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

And from another source:

quote:

Obsessed by the most trivial details, Howard kept strict control of his food and that of his wife. This preoccupation with his food and its preparation had begun decades earlier when, as a child, he sat in his mother's kitchen and watched her scrub and scald and scour not jut the pots and pans, but the meat and vegetables as well. So the adult Howard feared that hordes of germs could attack him through ill-prepared nutrients. If Hughes had been a Renaissance prince instead of a modern-day tycoon, he would have undoubtedly procured a taster. Instead, he spent weeks devising ways to insure that his meals were sanitary and cooked to exact specifications...Howard's obsessive-compulsive disorder produced full-blown food fetishes. Suddenly, he was fixated on the minutes it took to open a can in a sterile manner, the exact thickness of roast beef, the shapes of stew vegetables, the precise number of chocolate chips in a batch of the 'germ-free' cookies, and the conditions of the vats that Kellogg's used to prepare his favorite breakfast cereal...When he ordered his special beef stew, the vegetables had to be pared into perfect half-inch squares, with 'each and every corner cut off at a precise forty-five-degree angle.' He kept a slide ruler on his TV table to measure any suspiciously inexact pea or carrot. A plate of his chocolate chip cookies had to have a precise number of chips per dozen. And Hughes could gauge the amount just by balancing the cookies in one hand. Too few or too may chips and the cookies were rushed back to the crestfallen chef. He even devised an exact way of folding the chips into the batter 'so that they would not be bruised.'...There were distinct rules for preparation and delivery of room service orders, which were prepared by Howard's staff of chefs, not the [Beverly Hills] Hotel staff.

Dude turned crazy into a career.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

He was so rich that he could get McDonalds to make the McRib a permanent menu item.

I was cruising eBay one day and they were auctioning off one of his cars. It had an industrial aircraft air filtration system installed in it. I can only imagine what he would be doing right now if he were alive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

He was so rich that he could get McDonalds to make the McRib a permanent menu item.

I was cruising eBay one day and they were auctioning off one of his cars. It had an industrial aircraft air filtration system installed in it. I can only imagine what he would be doing right now if he were alive.

Probably clawing at the inside of his coffin and screaming.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ChocNitty posted:

Dying, I think.

e; fb

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Howard Hughes had been born in 1975 instead of 1905 he'd probably be a slightly less weird Elon Musk.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When Jerusalem became hellenized and people started going to gyms and bathhouses, some had fake foreskin attached to their dongs so they could look more greek.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell, same

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

You can regain your foreskin just by stretching the gently caress out of the remaining skin for a couple months. Like, really get in there and stretch it over a bottle cap or something.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

it's pretty cool that hedy lamarr helped hughes improve the aerodynamic design of his planes during the brief period they were dating

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/tkinias/status/1240064120411557890?s=20

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

drat

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
HH was in a lot of crashes, no doubt his end years were driven by CTE.

I love the portrayal of him in Diamonds are Forever as a Normal Cool Dude That Helps Bond, and I keep imagining the actual dude in those scenes.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Otto Pflanze: Bismarck. Der Reichsgründer, pp. 566/567 posted:

During the 1850s and 1860s, Bismarck constantly smoked strong cigars throughout the day. In early 1879 he took up pipe smoking, as the cigars had lost their taste to him. The famous legal scholar Rodulf Ihering recalled him saying: "A hundred thousand cigars and ten thousand bottles of champagne are the limit of what is agreeable to a man's body during his life." When Ihering doubted this and remarked that nobody could drink that much champagne, Bismarck boasted: "Oh yes, during my time as a diplomat I often drank two bottles of champagne for lunch." Bismarck was very proud of being able to hold his drink and claimed that as a young man, he had easily been able to empty six bottles of wine without getting sick or even drunk. One contemporary stated that he drank wine to every meal (even at breakfast, together with milk and lemonade), beer or sparking wine during his afternoon rides and beer during the evening. The Bavarian ambassador in Berlin, Count Hugo von Lerchenfeld-Köfering, remembered an evening where during a soiree Bismarck had drunk "several litres of bock beer" and afterwards invited him to stay for a little while. The two then proceeded to drink Jamaica rum and champagne and finally finished with port wine at 2 a.m.

I've had plenty of evenings like this and still am not Iron Chancellor, what gives!? :argh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

put more iron in your alcohol op

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To clarify, I need to give some background. A brother to my great great grandfather was known as "The Terror of [Town]" (which I only found out recently — my family didn't talk about him at all so I only found this out via archival material a couple years ago).

Anyway, over the summer of 1902, he was on a massive bender. He went from village to village and begged for food or broke into pantries. One place, he is said to have drank "half a bottle of rum, a fifth of cognac and a liter of brandy and half a bottle of red wine." The next place he broke into, he stole and drank some "iron liquor" which idk wtf is, so there's the reference lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

To clarify, I need to give some background. A brother to my great great grandfather was known as "The Terror of [Town]" (which I only found out recently — my family didn't talk about him at all so I only found this out via archival material a couple years ago).

Anyway, over the summer of 1902, he was on a massive bender. He went from village to village and begged for food or broke into pantries. One place, he is said to have drank "half a bottle of rum, a fifth of cognac and a liter of brandy and half a bottle of red wine." The next place he broke into, he stole and drank some "iron liquor" which idk wtf is, so there's the reference lol

lol nice

btw the wine and champagne bottles were smaller back in those days

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I am pretty sure iron liquor was a clothing dye and I dont even think it has alcohol in it. Sounds like a hell of a bender.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ChubbyChecker posted:

lol nice

btw the wine and champagne bottles were smaller back in those days

the police reports measure them by volume (4 pægl = 1 pot = almost a liter)

although, a later interrogation summarizes what he did with his ill-gotten gains: "he remembers that he put the bottles underneath the willow, yet he does not remember putting his hat on the ham. [...] He says that it's not a certainty that the bottles were full, and also he may have spilled some."

(i swear im not making this up)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

the police reports measure them by volume (4 pægl = 1 pot = almost a liter)

although, a later interrogation summarizes what he did with his ill-gotten gains: "he remembers that he put the bottles underneath the willow, yet he does not remember putting his hat on the ham. [...] He says that it's not a certainty that the bottles were full, and also he may have spilled some."

(i swear im not making this up)

haha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Atticus_1354 posted:

I am pretty sure iron liquor was a clothing dye and I dont even think it has alcohol in it. Sounds like a hell of a bender.

found a recipe:

"an Arcanum, which is a mild iron preparation that is now available at most apothecaries:"

A solution of:
1860 parts water
400 parts juice (fruit sugar??)
320 parts spirits
140 parts "iron-sugar"
10 parts pomerans "drops"
2 parts cinnamon drops (idk droplets?)
1 part "vinegar-ether"

i guess you could booze it up if the rest isnt faster poison

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

When Jerusalem became hellenized and people started going to gyms and bathhouses, some had fake foreskin attached to their dongs so they could look more greek.

In the book De Medicina the author Aulus Cornelius Celsus described how roman doctors restored the foreskin for jews who wanted to look roman:
:nws: https://imgur.com/kmSwzTb

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

In the book De Medicina the author Aulus Cornelius Celsus described how roman doctors restored the foreskin for jews who wanted to look roman:
:nws: https://imgur.com/kmSwzTb

oof

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

found a recipe:

"an Arcanum, which is a mild iron preparation that is now available at most apothecaries:"

A solution of:
1860 parts water
400 parts juice (fruit sugar??)
320 parts spirits
140 parts "iron-sugar"
10 parts pomerans "drops"
2 parts cinnamon drops (idk droplets?)
1 part "vinegar-ether"

i guess you could booze it up if the rest isnt faster poison

Is the “iron-sugar” some kind of lead salt? Those are usually sweet and the romans uses Lead Acetate as a sweetener.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Did the Mamelukes throw swords or has AoE2 been lying to me for 20 years i have to know this

THROWING SCIMITARS

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Same question as above but regarding Frankish footmen throwing battleaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

verbal enema posted:

Did the Mamelukes throw swords or has AoE2 been lying to me for 20 years i have to know this

THROWING SCIMITARS

The name 'Mameluk' is actually onomatopoeic - in Arabic, 'ma' is the sound of something spinning and 'luk' is the sound of something being thrown, so the name refers to the military practice of spinning the sword around one's head to gather momentum, and then throwing it. This is also why the scimitar is curved.