Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Airborne:skydiving::cheese:chalk
They might look similar, but they ain't.
How many people do you know go skydiving and break both bones in the lower leg? Because that poo poo is super common at Bragg. The most common serious injury on jumps. In my Co, I knew of at least for dudes it happened to. Three of them did everything right, just bad luck. One hosed himself by trying to land like on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Super common at Benning too.

Big guys you'd see come lawn darting in and little guys would blow about in the breeze for ages.

Army is really bad at jumping out of airplanes, gently caress doing it their way.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Every September in Alaska we’d jump onto frozen but snowless ground, break a million legs and ankles, then do it all again the following September.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
When the goal is to shove as many bodies possible out of a plane and onto a drop zone as quick as possible and as low as possible, the army does alright.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mustang posted:

The one in my Stryker worked flawlessly. I'd say you have to treat it right but I'm pretty sure it was just blind luck.

It did leak a poo poo ton of coolant during a winter rotation at Yakima but I kept it running anyway because it was below freezing and we were in a loving metal box.

Sleeping in a Stryker with the heater running during winter was some of the best sleep I've ever had. Sucks that I'm stuck with a MATV now.

I’ve been on an MGS since I got up here. Sleeping is less than ideal for us :cry:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't know what skydiving and airborne have in similarity besides the sky and an airplane, but that is pretty much it. You can't really buy that experience where hundreds of dudes land on an airfield with doorbundles and vehicles, and do cool poo poo. OTOH I had a spinal surgery and am post-op recovery right now due to partial chute collapse so take this as you will.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 18, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
There is no reason for divisional airborne units in the regular army in 2018 imo but whatever tradition

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

There is no reason for divisional airborne units in the regular army in 2018 imo but whatever tradition

We fund an entirely redundant branch of service because of tradition. I think airborne units are here to stay.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

I don't know what skydiving and airborne have in similarity besides the sky and an airplane, but that is pretty much it. You can't really buy that experience where hundreds of dudes land on an airfield with doorbundles and vehicles, and do cool poo poo. OTOH I had a spinal surgery and am post-op recovery right now due to partial chute collapse so take this as you will.

:laffo:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

psydude posted:

We fund an entirely redundant branch of service because of tradition. I think airborne units are here to stay.

very true

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Divisional airborne is way more obviously stupid than having Marines around.

lol that one of the big ideas being thrown around is some way to have a bunch of vehicles that the airborne guys can drive around in after they jump in. But which themselves aren't air-dropped.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Divisional airborne is way more obviously stupid than having Marines around.

lol that one of the big ideas being thrown around is some way to have a bunch of vehicles that the airborne guys can drive around in after they jump in. But which themselves aren't air-dropped.

Just give airborne guys those foldable mountain bikes like they used to.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Ahahhahahahahahahahha

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
good job dude, you're hosed for life

source: every single person that ever suffered an airborne related injury of any scale whatsoever

edit: i work in DoD medical w/ polytrauma issues before someone tries to throw a well actually at me

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I love it. Maybe 2 years from enlisting to being a cripple for life.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How do field grades come up with ideas like "staff primaries and NCOICs need to do PT with random platoons once a week"?

Is there anything they don't feel obligated to gently caress with? Staff doesn't want to PT with the platoons and the platoons don't want to PT with staff.

Seems like the longer a LTC is in command the more things he feels entitled to stick his fingers in.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

How do field grades come up with ideas like "staff primaries and NCOICs need to do PT with random platoons once a week"?

Is there anything they don't feel obligated to gently caress with? Staff doesn't want to PT with the platoons and the platoons don't want to PT with staff.

Seems like the longer a LTC is in command the more things he feels entitled to stick his fingers in.

Just remember that when you get a BN command.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

This particular LTC heavily pushes mission command so it's ironic how little trust he has in his subordinates.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's all about OER and NCOER bullet points, with about equal parts megalomania

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
That's my standard answer for "why do people at [insert rank] do [thing]?"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

Welcome to I Corps.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Do other installations have to deal with COMET or is it just a JBLM specific thing?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
the gently caress is comet?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I always saw them but I never asked what they did

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's a civilian organization on JBLM that inspects all CLDP poo poo, primarily CSDP, CMDP, CDDP and GPC stuff.

It's probably other stuff but that's my only interaction with them. There's the critical requirements that can automatically fail you because you can't get a guy into a course like HAZMAT and whatnot and the division commander is tracking all these inspections.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I tried to get into HAZMAT the whole 2 years I was there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

It's a civilian organization on JBLM that inspects all CLDP poo poo, primarily CSDP, CMDP, CDDP and GPC stuff.

It's probably other stuff but that's my only interaction with them. There's the critical requirements that can automatically fail you because you can't get a guy into a course like HAZMAT and whatnot and the division commander is tracking all these inspections.

At the company level we had 83 critical requirements for CSDP alone at the last base. lol.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I got to like some super high level osha hazmat poo poo but I let it lapse. Had to memorize all the pressures of storage tanks from those trucks up to the giant ones. The first level wasn't bad, mainly just learning placards and how to read a guide book

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Hazmat Tech certs are pretty standard in CM now from what I understand because of the stupid DCRF mission.

Comet is usually pretty easy, at least it was on Stewart. Just go line by line through the checklists and you’ll be fine.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Hazmat Tech certs are pretty standard in CM now from what I understand because of the stupid DCRF mission.

Comet is usually pretty easy, at least it was on Stewart. Just go line by line through the checklists and you’ll be fine.

I imagine it all just depends on where you're at. The guys working at Comet on Drum were actually super helpful and surprisingly patient with us, at least for CSDP stuff, which was a lifesaver considering we were a bunch of musicians with little to no supply training.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I went through like 4 hazmat courses working EMS, mainly placard stuff, some MSDS stuff, how to set up decon area's and how to deal with patients/populations involved in a hazmat area.

It was essentially the worst thing I ever had to go through.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

I love it. Maybe 2 years from enlisting to being a cripple for life.

Nah. My italian surgeon says if I wanna be retarded I can jump again in October-ish after my 9 month recovery.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
ok, guy that has had spinal surgery

i'm sure everyone else with jump injuries just doesn't have the heart you do

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't kill yourself for a dumb jump. Your injury is life telling you "No."

Everybody gets one. Yours is used up. There's a reason the 2002 "America's Army" video game was updated to make the jump training tower level skippable: your character always ate it unless you were PERFECT, and even then still sometimes bought the farm.

I mean lol you have a lot of heart, go for it. The E7 who's been in too long to quit but wants to kill himself every day because he's sure his wife is cheating on him but he doesn't want to be a bad role model to his son (that may not be his) by quitting will like you more for it. He totally doesn't give you a fake smile and hearty pat on the back because it's the only thing he can do otherwise is suck off a shotgun. Instead he distracts himself with, "Maybe this, maybe this will give my life meaning," as yet another group of people making mistakes, under his direction, make some more in the hope that this time, This Time, he can maybe change a life for the better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Spoilers everyone ends up more broken and alcoholic, and people you know (and maybe you) will die in retarded training accidents that don't need to happen anymore except that a general 40 years ago got a hardon for round parachutes at 70 feet and instituted a program by pegging a begging senator with connections and now institutional inertia carries on the tradition that shouldn't have existed in the first place because it literally doesn't know any better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

SUMMADAT GRUNT poo poo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Nah. My italian surgeon says if I wanna be retarded I can jump again in October-ish after my 9 month recovery.

Why do you need a surgeon's permission to be retarded when you're a retarded loving fin naturally?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I, too, thought I was the one who would get out unscathed from jumping.
I have 0 joints on my body that function as intended.
Hope you are smart enough to listen to the hundred loving dudes who got crippled to various degrees from the job you are so loving ready to go back to. Seriously, go ahead and jump in October. Maybe you'll be fine. Maybe you'll be paralyzed for sum day grunt poo poo. Maybe you'll get lucky and only buy a small piece of it, and get hosed up just enough to function, but never again correctly or without pain.
Just a reminder, sooner or later, pain meds stop working. Then you are left with fun stories, bitter memories, and unmutable pain volumes.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

God you guys make the airborne sound great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I had an E5 try to tell me that it's perfectly normal to be mid-20s and have really bad knees and that I should stop being such a puss just because I had one shoulder surgery and wanted to get out.