Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Malefitz posted:

So you're saying the issues with the RTX 3080 are over reported somehow?
I never had planned to buy the card before end of the year. Seeing the problems with low stock and the overall confusion about the instability issues I'm just really glad I don't feel the need for the upgrade just as hard.

Good for you, I have a lovely MSI 1080 AERO (blower style) which probably isn't going to be worth a lot once I get around upgrading myself.

Congrats? Dunno why you’re so angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DrDork posted:

Honestly, with the guides put together by some of the teardown reviewers, it doesn't really look bad at all, considering what it is. Nothing's glued in this time. About the worst part seems to be getting the magnetic covers off the screws--from there it's pretty smooth sailing to remove the HSF assembly.
Do gotta be careful of the cables, though. The TUF is even easier to disassemble, you're right. But unless you're planning on throwing a waterblock on, it's probably not something to worry about.

The issue is less that the difficulty and more that there's thermal issues post teardown, as the pads won't sit the same way again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kingnothing posted:

Congrats? Dunno why you’re so angry.

What? Man, some people itt getting real cranky today and throwing around personal poo poo for no reason.

Dude's just saying he probably won't be able to sell his old card for as much as some other people, and otherwise has simply been asking what appear to be honest questions. No need to jump on him.

an actual dog posted:

The issue is less that the difficulty and more that there's thermal issues post teardown, as the pads won't sit the same way again.

Can you link somewhere saying they had issues after? I honestly haven't seen anyone comment on any post-teardown performance for any card yet, so I'm curious. Especially seeing how thiccc some of the pads on the TUF are, I'd be kinda surprised if the FE actually had structural issues, vs whoever did it just not replacing them with the correct types/thicknesses.

Though, again, I'd expect that in most cases a HSF removal for either card would be a one-way conversion for a waterblock, because otherwise why are you doing that in the first place? Maybe 5 years from now it might be due for a re-paste, but otherwise something I wouldn't worry much about.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 2, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Malefitz posted:

So you're saying the issues with the RTX 3080 are over reported somehow?
I never had planned to buy the card before end of the year. Seeing the problems with low stock and the overall confusion about the instability issues I'm just really glad I don't feel the need for the upgrade just as hard.
the initial issues were brought forward, models were identified - then it turned out to be all of them with multiple issues overlapping, then it was resolved in a driver update. i can't speak to how widespread the issues were other than there was one person itt saying they managed to get a crash, but the rest trying to reproduce it got nowhere

where exactly are you getting your information from? the issue was dealt with, post-mortems are already out, so what caused you to hear this was ongoing? as far as stock they had a bit more stock than 2080's launch, it's insane demand this time around for multiple reasons (covid on supply+demand, 10xx owners upgrading), ...and we already talked this part to death in the thread so you're either not paying attention or trying your best to act ignorant

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

...and we already talked this part to death in the thread so you're either not paying attention or trying your best to act ignorant

Or he hasn't been F5ing this thread for the last week and asked a simple question instead of reading the past 20 pages to see if it'd been answered already.

Dude, chill the gently caress out. It's Friday. Go have a beer or something. Take a walk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Howdy everyone.

I know this launch has been frustrating for a lot of us, and it's real dumb, but if we could dial it back a notch it would make this thread more enjoyable to read. Let's not lose sight of the fact that if we're here waiting for a chance to buy an $800 graphics card, we're doing pretty alright in this hellworld. It's a lovely time for everyone and nerves are a little frayed.

~~~~k tnx tia~~~~

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

DrDork posted:

What? Man, some people itt getting real cranky today and throwing around personal poo poo for no reason.

Dude's just saying he probably won't be able to sell his old card for as much as some other people, and otherwise has simply been asking what appear to be honest questions. No need to jump on him.

DrDork posted:

Or he hasn't been F5ing this thread for the last week and asked a simple question instead of reading the past 20 pages to see if it'd been answered already.

Dude, chill the gently caress out. It's Friday. Go have a beer or something. Take a walk.

Yeah thanks mate, I didn't know a few light hearted questions would trigger some people ITT so hard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the initial issues were brought forward, models were identified - then it turned out to be all of them with multiple issues overlapping, then it was resolved in a driver update. i can't speak to how widespread the issues were other than there was one person itt saying they managed to get a crash, but the rest trying to reproduce it got nowhere

where exactly are you getting your information from? the issue was dealt with, post-mortems are already out, so what caused you to hear this was ongoing? as far as stock they had a bit more stock than 2080's launch, it's insane demand this time around for multiple reasons (covid on supply+demand, 10xx owners upgrading), ...and we already talked this part to death in the thread so you're either not paying attention or trying your best to act ignorant

I'm "getting my information" from the typical Youtube channels (Hardware Jesus, etc.) and reading one or two pages of the 10 pages this thread has moved on since checking last time.

My understanding was that the issue was fixed by a driver update that lowered boost clock which honestly looks more like a work around to me than "fixing a problem". I don't have any more information about what else was done in these updates to fix the issue other than "a few other tweaks".
You say post-mortems are out but considering it has been like a week I have a feeling it needs a bit more time to get a proper analysis of what actually caused and fixed the problem.

If you have information that will lead me to a different opinion, feel free to point me into the right direction if it is anything else than "paying more attention" to this thread.
Like an actual article for example.
Or, you know, if you don't want to then just don't I guess?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Malefitz posted:

Good for you, I have a lovely MSI 1080 AERO (blower style) which probably isn't going to be worth a lot once I get around upgrading myself.

If it makes you feel any better my 1070 has its cooler ripped off and replaced with an accelero 3 cooler, including holding some of the fins on with a hairband.

Fantastic thermals but no way will someone hand me cash for this mad max lookin GPU.

Id throw it in a campus computer for my robotics club but no case will fit this thing lol.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Malefitz posted:

My understanding was that the issue was fixed by a driver update that lowered boost clock which honestly looks more like a work around to me than "fixing a problem". I don't have any more information about what else was done in these updates to fix the issue other than "a few other tweaks".

TUF was tested before and after the driver update by youtubers and I believe its performance was the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMns8t4OhI0

Jay did it, irony

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 2, 2020

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hmm, on the Nvidia UK site, the "out of stock" button (which was, theoretically, capable of transforming into a "buy now" button) has been removed and there's only the starting price and the link to "see all buying options".

Also, the buying options have all had their prices jacked up so nothing is even theoretically available for the MSRP any longer. Cool. :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malefitz posted:

You say post-mortems are out but considering it has been like a week I have a feeling it needs a bit more time to get a proper analysis of what actually caused and fixed the problem.

peak boost is lower but average boost is a little higher, it's effectively the same performance if not slightly higher.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
My 10/1 3090 order from the nvidia website is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Will run some stock tests and then quickly work on undervolting the card assuming it actually arrives.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Malefitz posted:

Yeah thanks mate, I didn't know a few light hearted questions would trigger some people ITT so hard.

I'm "getting my information" from the typical Youtube channels (Hardware Jesus, etc.) and reading one or two pages of the 10 pages this thread has moved on since checking last time.

If you have information that will lead me to a different opinion, feel free to point me into the right direction if it is anything else than "paying more attention" to this thread.
Like an actual article for example.
Or, you know, if you don't want to then just don't I guess?
there was misinformation on "lowered boost clocks", on the order of 100-200mhz to which der8auer made an attempt to show changing caps didn't make that difference
unfortunately he just added more fuel onto the fire on capacitors making a difference imo. ultimately it was a driver change where the most user-facing change was the voltage/clock lookup table:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hardware Unboxed calling out Jayztwocents in so many words. Also Jay is on Nvidia's shitlist (or at least, got a very stern talking to) because of that same video as mentioned in his video earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyCdraz54s
here's a screencap of the relevant part of the video (10:19):

in practice though, this doesn't have an effect on boost clocks or performance, it's purely voltage in practice from what testing i've been able to see (posted itt):

there are likely more changes in the driver to resolve crashes, but the most noticeable was the voltage lookup table and performances in actual games has not changed either. i could make a youtube channel and turn this into an hour long video if it would somehow make any of this more reliable in the eyes of the internet. the short of it is your thermal management and background workload have a significantly bigger impact on core clocks than 'capacitors', and the driver update didn't change anything substantial to the end user

in the most extreme scenario of trying to remove the thermal bottleneck:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i ran a couple of tests with system and gpu fans at 100%, noticeably loud but trying to see if the thermal bottleneck on boost could be removed

ended with an average core of 1994, peaking to 2040 in port royal
i am more than willing to dig into an issue and help people out, but you're jumping into the situation and giving me nothing to work with other than vague third-hand feelings of stability issues that aren't quantified in any way

Paul MaudDib posted:

peak boost is lower but average boost is a little higher, it's effectively the same performance if not slightly higher.
what are you basing this off of? i have reproduced the opposite effect in practice with verifiable data in this thread.

p.s. ty 8-bit miniboss for those links

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm just glad Brutal Doom runs aight on my 6700k without a GPU :coolfish:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Malefitz posted:

So is there any chance that Nvidia pumped up their RTX 3080 performance artificially by making it boost higher than originally specified because they found out that AMD's Big Navi would come dangerously close to the RTX 3080's performance which would make them look really bad as it's their flagship?
The instability problems and the easy fix of reducing boost clock could be explained by this.
Also it would explain why the RTX 3090 is only a small performance bump over the RTX 3080 while the RTX 3070 possibly is way worse.

I honestly didn't really think this through or researched any of this so maybe I'm full of poo poo but this is something I have been thinking about for a few days now.
Any opinions?

they did exactly the same thing AMD did: run at the ragged edge of the silicon's performance to eke out every last FPS drat the power consumption

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

they did exactly the same thing AMD did: run at the ragged edge of the silicon's performance to eke out every last FPS drat the power consumption

Frankly I expect this in a desktop, I don't want to leave performance on the table when I can draw power from the wall and my electricity is paid for in the rent as it is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any official updates for the next re-stock?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Why do card makers use two PCI slot screws when their card basically takes up 3 card slots with its 2.X slot size? The third screw would help with stability and poo poo I imagine.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there was misinformation on "lowered boost clocks", on the order of 100-200mhz to which der8auer made an attempt to show changing caps didn't make that difference

unfortunately he just added more fuel onto the fire on capacitors making a difference imo. ultimately it was a driver change where the most user-facing change was the voltage/clock lookup table:

here's a screencap of the relevant part of the video (10:19):

in practice though, this doesn't have an effect on boost clocks or performance, it's purely voltage in practice from what testing i've been able to see (posted itt):

there are likely more changes in the driver to resolve crashes, but the most noticeable was the voltage lookup table and performances in actual games has not changed either. i could make a youtube channel and turn this into an hour long video if it would somehow make any of this more reliable in the eyes of the internet. the short of it is your thermal management and background workload have a significantly bigger impact on core clocks than 'capacitors', and the driver update didn't change anything substantial to the end user

in the most extreme scenario of trying to remove the thermal bottleneck:

i am more than willing to dig into an issue and help people out, but you're jumping into the situation and giving me nothing to work with other than vague third-hand feelings of stability issues that aren't quantified in any way

what are you basing this off of? i have reproduced the opposite effect in practice with verifiable data in this thread.

p.s. ty 8-bit miniboss for those links
Thanks, I appreciate the effort. That was quite insightful.

I did see the original Jaytwocents video where he claimed that capacitors might very well be the issue but also later read in this thread that this was at least not the sole issue.
The Hardware Unboxed video recapitulated the whole drama quite well.

Now that these launch issues seem to be out of the way I really need to stop myself from trying to get one of these bad boys as soon as possible.
Do you guys have any guess when the cards might start to become easier to purchase? I didn't really follow graphics card launches in the past.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

doomisland posted:

Why do card makers use two PCI slot screws when their card basically takes up 3 card slots with its 2.X slot size? The third screw would help with stability and poo poo I imagine.

Lots of cases only have two slot brackets for things like vertical GPU mounts, even if the physical space is larger.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gabriel S. posted:

Most updates are vague enough to not be useful and the nature of being warned makes them the most competitive drops. The ones where you hear about real people not bots getting cards are the weekly surprise night drops from nvidia. Everything else is fighting for scraps against bots

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malefitz posted:

Now that these launch issues seem to be out of the way I really need to stop myself from trying to get one of these bad boys as soon as possible.
Do you guys have any guess when the cards might start to become easier to purchase? I didn't really follow graphics card launches in the past.

Retailers have been saying they've been getting more and more stock, but I would bet we'll still be having inventory issues for another 6-8 weeks.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

DrDork posted:

Retailers have been saying they've been getting more and more stock, but I would bet we'll still be having inventory issues for another 6-8 weeks.

I wonder what the situation is like in Europe. I haven't seen any RTX 3080 in stock at the online stores I would usually buy at but I don't know if the situation is equally bad or even worse than in the US.
But 6-8 weeks doesn't sound too bad, I might just gift myself a brand new video card for Christmas and if the new Ryzens are good I will probably make that a whole new system.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I think NVIDIA's site is the only one you can reliably snag an Ampere, assuming you're following the Discord and ready to click right away. Their site never really times out or crashes, and the restock with enough cards that you have a few minutes to complete your transaction. Hell, I had to type in all my billing/shipping details for my FE since I wasn't logged into LastPass on Wednesday's drop, and I still got one.

Some sites that let you use Apple Pay are also easier to get, if you have an iPhone/Mac. The challenge here though is opening the Discord link in the non-browser app quickly.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
For using the new egg app, you can create a wishlist with the cards you want and when you get a discord ping just open your wishlist instead of following the link. That’s how I got my TUF this week.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gabriel S. posted:

Supposedly there was a "leaked" excel sheet with Amazon expected stock dates on it that said a bunch of different cards were coming in from the 7th-10th but this was on reddit so... yknow... grain of salt and all

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

I think NVIDIA's site is the only one you can reliably snag an Ampere, assuming you're following the Discord and ready to click right away. Their site never really times out or crashes, and the restock with enough cards that you have a few minutes to complete your transaction. Hell, I had to type in all my billing/shipping details for my FE since I wasn't logged into LastPass on Wednesday's drop, and I still got one.

This is very much a YMMV thing. As a personal counter-point, myself and plenty of others itt got locked out of the last drop because NVidia's "Checkout" button was timing out, and you needed to use a separate link to manually go to your shopping cart.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can't believe we're left F5'ing to get a video card.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

There's an Aorus 3080 Master drop in about 55minutes on Newegg but it will probably be bought by bots since everyone knows it's coming.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

denereal visease posted:

waiting for [Optimum Tech] (or someone else) to deshroud a 3080 and put it in M1, really don't want to be the first :ohdear:

B-Mac posted:

I asked him about that in his initial reviews and he said the MSI gaming and ASUS TUF has metal tabs that interfere with fan placement in the Ncase. Hopefully someone tries some other models and sees if deshrouding with work.
The tabs are merely a setback, not a full stop

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

denereal visease posted:

The tabs are merely a setback, not a full stop

Similarly, I want to see someone see if they can strap a AIO/G12 onto one. I have a case with exactly 2" of space for a card, which would be barely enough for a FE, but not enough for anything larger, and honestly water cooling would be a much better option.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

There was an EVGA drop on newegg, got one in cart then got out of stock messages.

Now all I see when going to newegg.com is this:

quote:

Thank you for visiting Newegg.com. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience but we are currently experiencing problems on our server. Please try again at a later time.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs or simply contact us and our helpful staff will alleviate any concerns you may have.
Reference Code: 39882f38d2228835c5f9a3373a09ef10b1f8967d213c9e9d

Edit: Site works from a different network so I got banned or something? I just happened to check at 9 to see if maybe the Aorus cards dropped early and saw the EVGA ones, nothing but manual refresh input.

Rockker fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 3, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Gigabyte AORUS was in stock for literally 1 second before selling out on Newegg. What a clown show

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

After getting ip banned I guess by newegg just using the site normally, I give up. Will stick with my 1080ti for now.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are FE cards limited editions or can you expect to buy them in the future (stock issues notwithstanding)? I was holding off to see how the aftermarket cards compare but looking at reviews for the ftw3 ultra it looks like the FE outperforms in temps, noise, fps, etc. So I'd like to get one after (if) the buying frenzy dies down.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

PageMaster posted:

Are FE cards limited editions or can you expect to buy them in the future (stock issues notwithstanding)? I was holding off to see how the aftermarket cards compare but looking at reviews for the ftw3 ultra it looks like the FE outperforms in temps, noise, fps, etc. So I'd like to get one after (if) the buying frenzy dies down.

Where are you seeing these reviews?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PageMaster posted:

Are FE cards limited editions or can you expect to buy them in the future (stock issues notwithstanding)?

Historically, FEs have generally been available for most/all of the products life. But historical marketing and product trends mean less than nothing with Nvidia, so take that for what it is worth (nothing). Hell, what a "Founders Edition" even is has changed repeatedly.

I haven't seen anything from nvidia to suggest its a "limited edition" part, just weirdos with 2020/Gamer Brain speculating on graphics card based conspiracy theories. With the amount of engineering and tooling they clearly did on the PCB and cooling situation, I would be shocked if they didn't keep making it in the future.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I actually managed to get a Gaming X Trio tonight on Newegg using the phone app + apple pay. I knew that aorus poo poo show was coming so i had the app open and was randomly refreshing and sure enough I suddenly see poo poo in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Samadhi posted:

Where are you seeing these reviews?

There were a couple, but one was this; although, now that I'm off my phone and on a computer I realized I'm actually dumb and was reading the 3090 benchmarks on the chart and not 3080.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 3, 2020